Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Darthemed posted:

Tomorrow: Dr. Hormone

YEEES :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Cool, backstory!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Cool, backstory!

Gazpacho and Revenge, get it, they're both best served cold :haw:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Doomykins posted:

This Scarlet storyline, as always, is freaking incredible. I don't know what's better. The Jerk of Jerks. The goofy rear end Scarlet brand character design applied to his goons(6'6" with enormous pot belly and 3 feet tall adult little man as is tradition), the hilarity of Chalmers' set up and his boredom at invincibility, or Scarlet shadowing this guy for weeks!

Pot-belly: Hermann Goering. Little weasel: Goebbels of course

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (May 4-6, 2005)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:lol: Jeremy is going to get his ashes strewn across the globe when a "Space-X" rocket explodes in the atmosphere.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Gazpacho and Revenge, get it, they're both best served cold :haw:

I always think of the monarch and the phantom limbs discussion about that.

"Yeah yeah you can never have too much precision in your soup."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:lol: Jeremy is going to get his ashes strewn across the globe when a "Space-X" rocket explodes in the atmosphere.
Bold to assume it'd make it that high up before cremation.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

While the best baby in comics can’t be beat, Uchida also draws a very good cat.

A Frog’s Life

quote:

End of chapter 1. Frog ennui. Frennui. (It’s not clear yet if he intends to continue this one - if he does we'll get an update in a month or so - but if he does I’ll stick with it for a bit. I’m a fan of Q-Rais’ melancholy stuff.)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hey, the Falcon 9s work pretty well!

Not enough delta-v to smash a payload into the sun, but eh, most rockets don't anyways. That's a horribly expensive operation. Cheaper to catapult a payload off into the void.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

While the best baby in comics can’t be beat, Uchida also draws a very good cat.

In defense of Cowslips Warren, early-90s Uchida seems to have a lot of the same views about breastfeeding that my mother had (and still has). My wife and I tried to breastfeed our kid (well, she tried, I helped as best I could), but it just wasn't happening. It was exhausting and frustrating; we switched to exclusively formula after a few months. My mother, bless her heart, can't help but run her mouth about how she exclusively breastfed my sister and me and how much better that was than formula. She means well, but it really ruffles our feathers.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 10, 1910)

Baron Bean(February 9, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(January 8, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(September 29, 30, 1919)

I'm trying to keep my comics posted on the same day of the week they were originally published and somehow got a bit desyched with Gasoline Ally. You guys would probably not even notice, but it annoys me and messes with my system so today and tomorrow I'll be posting two strip so I synch up.

Us Boys(December 21, 1911)

The Gumps(March 7, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 3, 1913)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I don't really get the feeling that WAR mom has any opinions on which is better for other people though? it doesn't give off judgy vibes to me in any way, it just seems observational

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Julet Esqu posted:

2.88 is what they were going for and the approximately is there so they don't get sued if some pedantic gently caress measures one at 2.86. You're a loving lawyer, dickhead.

Also, 2.88 isn't some oddly precise number, they rounded off 2.875 (2 7/8) to 2 digits.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

I gotta say, I like the snake. Jules made a good call with the talking snake.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:eek:

Apartment 3-G

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

someone awful. posted:

I don't really get the feeling that WAR mom has any opinions on which is better for other people though? it doesn't give off judgy vibes to me in any way, it just seems observational

Also the quoted comic specifically does not agree with the woman asserting breastfeeding is making her baby not need a pacifier, and points out her assertion is kind of bullshit and people make the same claim the other way around about bottles?

Like how the earlier comics did involve her reaffirming that it was most important for the baby to be eating, and just not personally wanting to switch if she didn't have to because it would be very inconvenient, and that got read as her thumping 'breast is best'. It really feels like people just project opinions all over her regardless of what the text shows.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Hippocrass posted:

Gasoline Alley(September 29, 30, 1919)

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Comic Strips 2024: There's always a flock of knockers

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

This story is were Lottie starts to wear her hair in a bun, which led to my crazy "Lottie is the reincarnation of Modesty Blaise" crossover theory.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I got a decent chuckle out of Rex's expression and reaction here.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

mycatscrimes posted:

Also the quoted comic specifically does not agree with the woman asserting breastfeeding is making her baby not need a pacifier, and points out her assertion is kind of bullshit and people make the same claim the other way around about bottles?

Like how the earlier comics did involve her reaffirming that it was most important for the baby to be eating, and just not personally wanting to switch if she didn't have to because it would be very inconvenient, and that got read as her thumping 'breast is best'. It really feels like people just project opinions all over her regardless of what the text shows.
You're right, I should get a third tattoo!

Disabled Child Adventures

Heh. Yeah, Sure, Alright, Got Me.

(also for the record I do agree with you; WAR's an autobiographical comic and no work is free of the internal politics of the author but she's mostly just telling a fairly frank story about raising a kid as a singleish mom in a complicated situation and how she got by and it's for the sake of storytelling, not point-making. I quite like it.)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Ok but yeah get that third tattoo hell yeah

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/24-26/52

Archie 6/30 - 7/2/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/16/77

Edge of Night, Ryan's Hope, Search for Tomorrow, and All My Children are all long-defunct soap operas.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Why would...why would anyone discourage bird migration?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Rhymes With Orange

Make your own masturbation joke here.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

If i had to guess for Hellworld? Makes them easier to catch and eat.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If i had to guess for Hellworld? Makes them easier to catch and eat.
Spoilers: yes.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (March 5-7, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (March 6, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (May 15-17, 1922)

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: The Skipper knows every little trick and peculiarity of the car and the very idea of any stranger telling him how to run it is simply ridiculous.

Dok's Dippy Cone of Silence (February 1, 1915)

Little Lefty (October 16-18, 1939 (and again, the 18th is just the "Marmy Sez" on the masthead.))

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cowslips Warren posted:

well they did pre-emptively genocide humanity.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I propose a bird catapult to promote migration in real world Canadian geese.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (October 16-18, 1939 (and again, the 18th is just the "Marmy Sez" on the masthead.))

Wait, we don't like Britain declaring war on Germany last month?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

don Jaime posted:

Wait, we don't like Britain declaring war on Germany last month?

This was about a month after the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, so the Daily Worker was probably towing the CPUSA, and thus the Soviet, line.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

The_Other posted:

This was about a month after the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, so the Daily Worker was probably towing the CPUSA, and thus the Soviet, line.

God, I wish communism wasn't so loving stupid all the time.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

i am going to shine some light on the actual worst thing about holbrook comics:

in 90% of strips, the characters are compelled to name each other in the first panel, as if the reader needs an introduction every time, and it's some of the most stilted dialogue in the world when you start paying attention to it

I've been reading them here and there for ages and the only one whose name I can think of right now is Dethany from On the Fastrack.

Beyond that there's the rabbit one and the wolf lady one and the porcupine one and the mean boss lady and the DNA wizard and the mermaid and the mermaid husband and mermaid child who used to be the upside down trapeze jagoffs.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Cool, backstory!

1. You do NOT want to falsely accuse a witch queen

2. drat that's a fine hypnotized blank stare.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Now this is a comic depicting some attempted formula shaming from the Breast is Best contingent

Luann

Sadly it's becoming clear that through writing her epic takedown of Bernice Luann is going to remember why she liked her in the first place. (Because sometimes her indiscriminate assholery lands on the right people)

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Oh, I'm sure we'll have to look at a page or two of disgusting body horror adventures in the garbage truck and then he'll be fine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Huh, I guess edit fruit can hang too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Huh, I guess edit fruit can hang too low.

Oh nooo