Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I think overall I preferred Babylon 5's take on these "so powerful they're gods" aliens which is that mostly they didn't give a poo poo about humans, and when some of them started caring too much about humans and other "young races" it set off an intergalactic war, rather than just being dissuaded by a good Captain Speech and roll credits.

I mean the Shadow War very much does end with a good Captain Speech.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I also like that a recurring conflict over tens of thousands of years basically boiled down to the gods being insecure about taking the next step and were afraid they were going to be lonely.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
DS9 season 6, "Honor Among Thieves": O'Brien goes undercover to try and infiltrate a small group of criminals working for the Orion Syndicate.

Cracked me up just how unsubtle this episode is. Most of the episode is dedicated to showing us what a kind-hearted soul Bilby, the leader of the little group is, to make O'Brien feel extra bad about having to betray him. But they pile it on so thick! He has a cat, a family he sends money to, he feeds O'Brien his wife's cake, he buys him a prostitute, and when O'Brien politely refuses because he has 'a girlfriend', Bilby thinks that's great and wants nothing more than to meet her! You should come home with Bilby, meet the family Miles!

Then it turns out the Dominion is working with the Orion Syndicate to stage an assassination of a Klingon ambassador. A Vorta just casually, directly meets with this foursome of low-rent thugs, and just blabs the whole plan to drive a wedge between the Klingons and the Federation to O'Brien, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret, ssh!

As silly as the whole thing is, the actor playing Bilby acts well in the scene where O'Brien comes clean to him, and it's an honestly sad, sobering ending when he decides the only way to protect his family is to simply go through with the assassination attempt, despite knowing they're walking into a trap.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bonus is, O’Brien gets a free cat

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Miles strangled his best and closest friend of 20 years over some reconstituted nutrient paste, Bilby betrayal woulda hardly registered on the O'Brien Suffering Index

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess also the idea of godlike ascended beings out there also was part of the idea of maybe as part of the infinite opportunity of the sci-fi future, humanity too could somehow ascend to a higher form of existence, which it was never really clear as to what that meant, but it has mostly been left behind, either from the lack of optimism in newer sci-fi, or from the lack of influence from weird drugged-out new agey people.

Stargate brought in ascension for what happened to the Ancients and ended up getting way too into the nitty gritty of the god-not-gods mucking about on their higher plane of existence which is also a lovely diner. Babylon 5 having the First Ones go off to beyond the rim of the galaxy with the vague implication of wonders lurking out there is a much nicer take that also seems pretty plausible.

davidspackage posted:

It's kind of a nervous conclusion with Nagilum, where you have to assume he let them go. There's no "okay humans I give up" from him.

Assume nothing, he calls Picard up to give one last gross space pervert speech at the end to demonstrate that he still had full power. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-WqumirMkA

It's a pretty hosed ending to a pretty hosed episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Babylon 5 having the First Ones go off to beyond the rim of the galaxy with the vague implication of wonders lurking out there is a much nicer take that also seems pretty plausible.

In the latest animated movie they kinda imply that 'beyond the rim' keeps on going to 'beyond the rim of the universe and regular reality', too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
From 1982:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTegD843PQc

Original show footage removed for copyright issues.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 8, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess also the idea of godlike ascended beings out there also was part of the idea of maybe as part of the infinite opportunity of the sci-fi future, humanity too could somehow ascend to a higher form of existence, which it was never really clear as to what that meant, but it has mostly been left behind, either from the lack of optimism in newer sci-fi, or from the lack of influence from weird drugged-out new agey people.
I think it generally fell out of fashion though I also think a lot of sci-fi ideas and genres were kind of rolled together but have subsequently drifted apart or died out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FISHMANPET posted:

I think overall I preferred Babylon 5's take on these "so powerful they're gods" aliens which is that mostly they didn't give a poo poo about humans, and when some of them started caring too much about humans and other "young races" it set off an intergalactic war, rather than just being dissuaded by a good Captain Speech and roll credits.

Right here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLZW8Deq8vE

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zog

https://youtu.be/bJdJBAiUFYg?si=LndU2YWZ2qLIxuC0

d00kiemastah
Jun 11, 2006
An afro is the symbol of a man.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's been re-released as an ebook and, more importantly, an audiobook read in character by Robinson.

Spotify recently added 15 hours of audiobooks a month if you're a subscriber, and they have the Stitch in Time audiobook. I listened to it on there for nothing and it really was great, I was actually surprised I've never seen discussion of its actual content on the forums. I recommend anyone with a Spotify account give it a try, and then talk about it so I can read said conversation.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SlothfulCobra posted:

For the most part sure, but I do kind of like the implication on Lower Decks that it’s just become another thing people can do so long as they’ve got the willpower and commitment, but not a lot of folks do because it’s an annoyingly hard and abstract process and may require a near death experience as well as being excruciatingly awful?.

https://youtu.be/MPGxboWWKDg?si=AUVlSlzLC4yjIEbE

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

davidspackage posted:

DS9 season 6, "Honor Among Thieves": O'Brien goes undercover to try and infiltrate a small group of criminals working for the Orion Syndicate.

He should've forgotten Keiko and taken over that outfit. The O'Brien Syndicate would have been feared, respected.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

davidspackage posted:

Cracked me up just how unsubtle this episode is. Most of the episode is dedicated to showing us what a kind-hearted soul Bilby, the leader of the little group is, to make O'Brien feel extra bad about having to betray him. But they pile it on so thick! He has a cat, a family he sends money to, he feeds O'Brien his wife's cake, he buys him a prostitute, and when O'Brien politely refuses because he has 'a girlfriend', Bilby thinks that's great and wants nothing more than to meet her! You should come home with Bilby, meet the family Miles!

Then it turns out the Dominion is working with the Orion Syndicate to stage an assassination of a Klingon ambassador. A Vorta just casually, directly meets with this foursome of low-rent thugs, and just blabs the whole plan to drive a wedge between the Klingons and the Federation to O'Brien, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret, ssh!

As silly as the whole thing is, the actor playing Bilby acts well in the scene where O'Brien comes clean to him, and it's an honestly sad, sobering ending when he decides the only way to protect his family is to simply go through with the assassination attempt, despite knowing they're walking into a trap.
I never bought that O'Brien was a realistic choice for a deep-cover espionage assignment. In skimming Memory Alpha their justification was that they needed someone undercover who could repair the faulty weapons that were being trafficked to gain their trust, but surely there's actual Starfleet Intelligence agents with engineering skills.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1755507551406346304

Hmmm but this would indicate Star Trek is not real

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

zoux posted:

SNW's Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow has established that there's Weird Time poo poo happening to push "historical" events further into the future so that they don't conflict with the real-world timeline. I still believe!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Knormal posted:

I never bought that O'Brien was a realistic choice for a deep-cover espionage assignment. In skimming Memory Alpha their justification was that they needed someone undercover who could repair the faulty weapons that were being trafficked to gain their trust, but surely there's actual Starfleet Intelligence agents with engineering skills.

If they had real skills they wouldn't have gone off to become intelligence agents.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh no real life won't be accurate to the part where *checks notes* Data tells Picard that Ireland was finally unified as the end result of a terrorism campaign and applied violence and not through any kind of democratic action or agreements or peace process.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 9, 2024

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zoux posted:

I'll take this if it means WW3 isn't canon either

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

blastron posted:

SNW's Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow has established that there's Weird Time poo poo happening to push "historical" events further into the future so that they don't conflict with the real-world timeline. I still believe!

I just watched this and Among the Lotus Eaters last night and they were both amazing episodes of TOS. Really impressed with them bringing 60s television straight back without (just) shamelessly pandering to nerds

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Oh no real life won't be accurate to the part where *checks notes* Data tells Picard that Ireland was finally unified as the end result of a terrorism campaign and applied violence and not through any kind of democratic action or agreements or peace process.

I dunno, it'd be pretty easy to make the argument that the sustained terror and low intensity conflict is what made the Good Friday Agreement possible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

I dunno, it'd be pretty easy to make the argument that the sustained terror and low intensity conflict is what made the Good Friday Agreement possible.

Data no!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's weird watching DS9 episodes and realizing I don't think I saw these, but I've read discussions about them at length.

S6E16 Change of Heart
Dax and Worf are sent on a mission together to get a Cardassian informant out, Dax gets wounded, and Worf shirks his duty to save her. Plus some really dumb B-plot where O'Brien and Bashir want to beat Quark at Tongo.

Rewatching TNG has soured me a lot on Worf's character, but I really like this one. Worf gets to be much more of an actual character once he gets married, instead of just the resident stick in the mud, and you do get the sense Jadzia has a good influence on him.

S6E17 Wrongs Darker than Death or Night
The one where Dukat calls Kira out of bed to tell her he used to bone her mom. Umm, the Orb of Time doesn't actually transport you through time, right? Cause this would be catastrophically unresponsible otherwise. I like how the plot doesn't resolve in a feel-good way, though the whole experience of Kira's mom settling in to her comfort woman existence feels really rushed. Also kind of noticeable that the actress playing her can't convincingly cry when she gets a message from her husband (who tells her that her kids "have never been happier," wtf).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

davidspackage posted:

S6E17 Wrongs Darker than Death or Night
The one where Dukat calls Kira out of bed to tell her he used to bone her mom. Umm, the Orb of Time doesn't actually transport you through time, right? Cause this would be catastrophically unresponsible otherwise. I like how the plot doesn't resolve in a feel-good way, though the whole experience of Kira's mom settling in to her comfort woman existence feels really rushed. Also kind of noticeable that the actress playing her can't convincingly cry when she gets a message from her husband (who tells her that her kids "have never been happier," wtf).

I'm gonna say that the way the episode pitches it that it DOES teleport you literally through time, but quantum leap style where Kira's playing as someone else.
Otherwise Dukat would recognise her surely? But they give the serious impression that Kira could have got her mum killed.

I think "oh she died in a hospital recently" was a loving bizarre ending though

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

davidspackage posted:

It's weird watching DS9 episodes and realizing I don't think I saw these, but I've read discussions about them at length.

S6E16 Change of Heart
Dax and Worf are sent on a mission together to get a Cardassian informant out, Dax gets wounded, and Worf shirks his duty to save her. Plus some really dumb B-plot where O'Brien and Bashir want to beat Quark at Tongo.

Rewatching TNG has soured me a lot on Worf's character, but I really like this one. Worf gets to be much more of an actual character once he gets married, instead of just the resident stick in the mud, and you do get the sense Jadzia has a good influence on him.

Pairing off Worf and Jadzia was a great move on the part of the DS9 writers. It was good for both characters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Legitimately one of the most important scenes from B5, simply because of JMS's 'subtext is for cowards' decision to just have G'Kar straight up say one of the mission statements: "No one here is exactly what they appear".

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I read that once it was clear that Terry Farrel was leaving at the end of season 6 and someone (Berman?) insisted Dax get killed off, Farrel tried to get the writers to kill her in that episode, as it would've given Worf's character a lot to work with. That's not only touchingly generous towards Michael Dorn, but Christ, what a gut punch it would've been to have Worf come back from succesfully (or unsuccesfully) gathering up the racist rear end in a top hat Cardassian, and come back to find his wife had died, alone.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Isn’t the Orb of Time the one used to send the Defiant to 2268 in Trials and Tribbl-ations?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I read that once it was clear that Terry Farrel was leaving at the end of season 6 and someone (Berman?) insisted Dax get killed off, Farrel tried to get the writers to kill her in that episode, as it would've given Worf's character a lot to work with. That's not only touchingly generous towards Michael Dorn, but Christ, what a gut punch it would've been to have Worf come back from succesfully (or unsuccesfully) gathering up the racist rear end in a top hat Cardassian, and come back to find his wife had died, alone.

The story I've heard most was that she wanted to just reduce her role so that she could get other things going in her career, but negotiations went nuclear. It probably would've been doable from how often the character didn't really have a job that needed doing 90% of the time on the station and was just kinda hanging around for the vibe.

Jadzia stepping back from work to focus on domestic life might also be interesting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes Terry Farrell just wanted to be in fewer episodes for Season 7, and Berman unilaterally fired her without Behr being involved at all

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

davidspackage posted:

I've seen this too, but as a hindsight thing. Like, if they'd all known sooner that they wouldn't be able to come to an agreement that would have been the perfect episode to be Farrell's last. But everyone was proceeding with the assumption that they'd work it out. And then they didn't, but it was too late.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, especially from the remove of several centuries.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nessus posted:

Yeah, especially from the remove of several centuries.

Do you think the Good Friday agreement would have happened without the Troubles?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Watched Datalore last night (and Angel One) and I'd forgotten that Datalore was Roddenberry's last ever script credit.
I really can't get over that Wesley ONCE AGAIN discovers what's gone wrong but for some reason in this one they're all telling him to gently caress off even though Data (lore) is being suspicious as gently caress. Also the obvious "Data can't use contractions but directly uses one in this episode" bit

And for Lore to just say "I learned to communicate with the crystalline entity". How?? Where was it? How did you talk to it with the communicators? Just a proper HUGE thing to completely paper over.

Angel One and Datalore really feel so unbelievably TOS and it's something I don't think I noticed the last time I watched.
Also man they sure love to bang on about the captain not going on away teams. I guess this is them explaining why he's not always going like Kirk did but we've had 5 mentions in 10 episodes

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 10, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Datalore is hilarious for how badly the crew just ignores "Data" acting like a pervert serial killer all of a sudden. It's TNG's best comedy episode.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Also how the episode ends with "Data" very heavily insinuated to actually be Lore what with the contraction and tick, and then it's totally ignored and forgotten.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Datalore is hilarious for how badly the crew just ignores "Data" acting like a pervert serial killer all of a sudden. It's TNG's best comedy episode.

They have a habit of doing that. It also happened in the S2 episode Schizoid Man. "Hmm... Data is suddenly exhibiting jealousy over the blonde lab partner and being smarmy with the captain? Eh, I'm sure it's nothing".

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Are you telling me London won't win the Series in two years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Also how the episode ends with "Data" very heavily insinuated to actually be Lore what with the contraction and tick, and then it's totally ignored and forgotten.

It doesn't do that, it's EXTREMELY clear it was Data lying on the floor (Lore gave data the tick)