Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

SirPablo posted:

I watched My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer with my daughter, good stuff. We go to cons now, which is a really fun bonding activity.

Haven't gone to a con, that's a good idea. I've also watched these shows with her and enjoyed them. She recently tore down her My Hero Academia posters and I was like "hey what the hell" and she said "I'm just not part of the fandom anymore" and I was like uh ok I guess they're your posters so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Sesame Street finally clicked for the kid so in addition to doing cookie and count voices all day, I get some rad songs occasionally. we did a bribe chart to get the wheels turning for choretype activities, and the reward she wants this time is a Rosita plush to round out her collection. turns out the only place to get it is on eBay and they are loving 70 bucks because it’s discontinued/out of stock due to a controversy I’ve never heard of before. fuuuck

Lol I looked this up... they torch a character because someone in Philadelphia was racist. That's pretty self defeating.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

I simply haven't seen it, I have no desire to inquire it's politics or lack thereof. It is just my god given right to ban media from my children arbitrarily and I exercise it.

The only good episode of Paw Patrol is the one where mayor Goodway and chickalleta join the team in their lovely old car. Otherwise I feel like every episode was the same. I'm glad the paw patrol phase has ended.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Paw Patrol is distilled American storytelling, way too fast pace, black and white morality and basically zero emotional depth. I particularly like the one where they save election day by letting the pups decide where to put the polling station and then sabotage the hell out of the opposition. I'm glad we're finally mostly out of it, and I'm planning to make more effort not to introduce the one year old to it, although I'm probably gonna fail. I don't think it's actually harmful though, just very not good

I tried introducing the six year old to Pokémon by getting a switch and Scarlet. Suffice it to say, it's a huge success. He absolutely sucks at the controls, but the slow pace means it doesn't matter much. He still needs to get better at reading the map and stuff, but it's good that his screen time is becoming less passive in my opinion. Also it's all in English, a language he doesn't speak yet, so all the helpful dialogue is not actually helpful. On the other hand, when he begins learning, he's gonna go fast.
I also tried teaching him Mario Odyssey and Mario kart. He is not good at those. Like, seriously terrible. I'm sure he'll get there though.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah, Pokemon completely took over once they hit 7 or so. Going several years strong at this point.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Lol

Mario kart is a great spare time game. My daughter is a huge fun of stray, she isn't great at it but just likes to wander around loving with robots and hell... Same

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my son just asked if we could get Stray. I looked it up and $20 to be a cat isn't a bad deal.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it's good but the first 15 minutes can be scary cause the cat falls away from its family

I did not know this when she started playing the cat game and she was very upset. she came up with a plan to rent a different copy from the library and save the cat this time, ruled, but she was really upset lol

also all the humans are dead (never shown) but idk if she didn't get that or didn't care

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
My kid was intrigued by stray when I played it for a few minutes at her aunt's house a while back

Other hits include maneater, goat simulator and super mario world -- though she mostly just watches and still has a hard time using controllers

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
goat simulator has been real big in this house since we got Apple Arcade.

my older son downloaded Dead Cells and was playing it with the touch controls and I was like "do you... do you want a controller?"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my son just asked if we could get Stray. I looked it up and $20 to be a cat isn't a bad deal.

I played the whole game with my kid on the lap watching (and helping verbally) over a few weeks and the experience ruled for both of us

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
My mom: "I know you don't fully trust me with Grandchild. I can feel you keeping her at a distance."

Also my mom: "oh it looks like Grandchild is slightly fussy today… this is unpleasant so I'm going home haha, goodbye"

Anybody else got fairweather guardians who are useless in a pinch?
I keep trying to train my child's various family to take care of her in an emergency but apparently they're not particularly interested 😐

Votskomit has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Feb 8, 2024

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Votskomit posted:

My mom: "I know you don't fully trust me with Grandchild. I can feel you keeping her at a distance."

Also my mom: "oh it looks like Grandchild is slightly fussy today… this is unpleasant so I'm going home haha, goodbye"

Anybody else got fairweather guardians who are useless in a pinch?
I keep trying to train my child's various family to take care of her in an emergency but apparently they're not particularly interested 😐

Oh for sure. MIL will constantly drop "oh, but you don't love me" or "you don't trust me" talking to my wife while doing video calls with the 18-month-old. It's like... lady, doing emotional manipulation while literally on the phone with the child is part of why we don't trust you with the child. It's going to get worse when she's older and can understand.

This is of course setting aside that they don't usually stock adult food, much less baby food before we visit. And that after the initial surge of interest in the kiddo, she usually gets sucked into her phone to post photos instead of interacting with the kid.

Not having local support that enables us to have more flexibility or adult time is a bummer. But honestly trying to manage the feelings of a grandparent we don't trust who is actually around all the time would be a bigger headache.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my parents are trying to move closer and my mom is the most helpful person on the planet but my dad is whatever the opposite of that is.

I think on the whole it will be good to have them closer but I am not looking forward to the new grandchild.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my kid asked me if we could help with her kids when she’s older and I was like absolutely. our parents live far away and sometimes let their hobbies supersede things and I always want to be there for her.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

since we are “older “ parents of an elementary school kid her classmates’ grandparents are still mobile /younger or live very close while our parents are like 70s-80s

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Day 4 of daycare: he's still crying every time we drop him off. Maybe we shouldn't have started daycare right around the same time that separation anxiety was developing, but we could only put it off for so long.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it's such a wild perspective shift to talk to somebody who's 15 years older but raising the same age kid as you.

my parents were really young (my mom had me when she was 22 and I'm her third kid) so my memory is always of my parents being really young and energetic.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My in-laws pwn. They gave me a car so I wouldn't go all stir crazy in the house.

They are rich, so we have to be summoned to places 4 times a year and we have to host one of them like 8 times a year, so like one of us parents have to be SAH. But that logic train is like illegal to say out loud... So we gotta play silly games. Gramma says that if we are both employed she would come to watch the kids and she actually did it! She lasted months before she really really wanted to go do some rich people trip, thank God I got laid off that week. She was all "oh I'll pay childcare" and like... If she thinks she got that kinda cash then aight, that's a big flex, but this poo poo is just like when they wanted to buy a house: Even with a sack of cash they won't let you just hop in or drop off. You got priced out years ago and nobody told you. Ugh, every time, I gotta council somebody because money didn't solve the problem like how it usually does. Genuinely traumatic for these people and that part is exhausting.

I love them, but yo my bougie class brothers and sisters are hosed. The patriarchs and matriarchs are living life in way where nothing will be passed on. They cite that as virtuous and that makes me sad. Every family friend of theirs have no concept of succession or cultivating anything that will last beyond their own death. I tell them how my sister took control of my family's assets and leadership role at age 40s back in the 2010s. They are mind blasted by the idea. Like, I had to forsake my stake and role in my family to join theirs, and they have no idea how to conceptualize that either like "what do you mean you don't have a cable plan to attach all your streaming subscriptions to" and oh my god I feel like a kilngon on deck of The Enterprise.

They treat me like an extension of my wife. That is the foundation of respect I have cultivated, that's probably the most comfortable role to take out of everything that I could choose from. It allows me to feel like a very smart boy, who has an diploma on like "the truth".

Wait what were we talking about again. Kids, oh yeah I love em.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Votskomit posted:

Oh yeah our daughter slapped grandma in the face when she was having a tantrum and not quite two years old. This brought on a lecture to my wife that she should teach our infant daughter better.

Some grandparents don't quite grasp that we, not them, make all of the decisions, like, whether they see their grandchildren ever.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

maybe they're just decent people instead of whatever you're talking about

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I mean, it's impossible to know because it's just one poster's side of the story.

who cares, there's no such thing as a regular set of in-laws. I challenge anyone to have four normal as gently caress grandparents.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
what, I said I love them.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

money didn't solve the problem like how it usually does

bougie class brothers and sisters are hosed

If money doesn't solve problems like it used to, and they were priced out of buying a house, I don't think they are of the bougie class anymore, if they ever were.

Chad Sexington posted:

Oh for sure. MIL will constantly drop "oh, but you don't love me" or "you don't trust me" talking to my wife while doing video calls with the 18-month-old. It's like... lady, doing emotional manipulation while literally on the phone with the child is part of why we don't trust you with the child. It's going to get worse when she's older and can understand.

This is of course setting aside that they don't usually stock adult food, much less baby food before we visit. And that after the initial surge of interest in the kiddo, she usually gets sucked into her phone to post photos instead of interacting with the kid.

Not having local support that enables us to have more flexibility or adult time is a bummer. But honestly trying to manage the feelings of a grandparent we don't trust who is actually around all the time would be a bigger headache.

drat, that sucks. Sorry to hear. I have supportive family nearby, which is incredibly helpful for raising a family. Some of them just have limitations I gotta work around...

Sounds like you're doing the right thing there.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

there's no such thing as a regular set of in-laws. I challenge anyone to have four normal as gently caress grandparents.

All my child's grandparents are boomers, but are otherwise decent people.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's such a wild perspective shift to talk to somebody who's 15 years older but raising the same age kid as you.

my parents were really young (my mom had me when she was 22 and I'm her third kid) so my memory is always of my parents being really young and energetic.

i sometimes wonder if we act like uptight parents when we meet the parents of my kid’s classmates. I mean we’re chill people but it’s pretty clear we are older.

the interactions are different. but also I’m pretty cspam brained so I kinda don’t engage in the succ circle which is probably it frankly.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Slightly off topic, but the idea of succession and taking care of your own family is some tribalistic bullshit in nature. As I see it, over of the main things a complex society should do is make sure that it is not up to individuals to take care of their elderly parents or poor adult offspring. The idea that it's a family matter is a key driver in inherited inequality, nepotism and other fun stuff.
I get that that's the society we live in, and I'm taking advantage of it myself, but it's stupid and bad and should not be applauded.

Of course, old rich assholes blowing their money on truks and cruises is also terrible. If only there was some way to redistribute the wealth...

Anyway, my mom bought the six year old a Pikachu costume for carnival. He is hyped as gently caress, and he usually doesn't even want to dress up. I have some fears about this Pokémon thing. I'm trying to avoid the cards at all costs.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My mother is incredibly helpful when present, but lives 2k miles away. My mother in law is a two hour drive away but requires more management and boundary setting than the child even when she's physically up to the task. Moreover, the lady has had a rough life, and is convinced that everyone is out to get her. We learned early that when we asked "can you babysit for a few hours on our anniversary" what she heard was "if you agree to this one time ask we'll dragoon you into full-time child care forever."

We suggested moving her to our largish city ten years ago, anticipating the physical decline she's currently experiencing. It was a good plan. We'd subdivide our lot, give her the garage half and she could sell her house in the sticks to build the retirement home of her dreams in walking/rascal distance of family and every conceivable service. Now she's borderline disabled and feels trapped and alone in the suburbs and idly wonders why the move didn't happen.

Lady, you made a public Facebook post speculating that the plan (in which we would sell you a buildable city lot for $1) was actually a secret plan to steal your house and put you in a home.

In retrospect, I feel like we dodged a bullet.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lady, you made a public Facebook post speculating that the plan (in which we would sell you a buildable city lot for $1) was actually a secret plan to steal your house and put you in a home.

This part is very funny.

One of our big impediments to having a second kid is like... affording to live. And I've idly had thoughts that like... if somebody just handed me $50k free and clear we could pave our way through the daycare years with cash. And both my parents and the in-laws have it, but I just can't abide the crazy-strings that would be attached. Also maybe they'll need that cash to afford eldercare down the road because ain't nobody living with us.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The four grandparents of Owlet are:
Grandma with mental health issues who can't be trusted
Two grandpas who are scared of infants
Grandma who would spend every moment she could with baby but needs constant intervention because can't figure out how to tell when she's getting tired and needs to nap.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the baby needs a nap or the grandma

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My in-laws are incredibly cheap and stingy, and strong believers in personal responsibility and integrity, so we're getting absolutely nothing from them. They did buy a stroller for the first kid, but that was a huge surprise to everyone and never repeated. They spent a lot of time being very poor, but I'm fairly sure they're incredibly loaded. It's gonna be a huge windfall that no one needs when they die I'm sure.

My mom on the other hand was also poor, but she bought a house which has just kept giving equity on top of her decently paid job. She's going all in on spending it, but on stuff like the down payment on our house and all sorts of crap for the kids (sometimes too much crap).

And on top of that, we have public daycare and well paid jobs and public (and private) health insurance. If I have any point with this it's that the whole thing is bullshit because all that parental wealth should go to someone else who needs it. Please tax me and my family harder.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Everybody needs a nap

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the baby needs a nap or the grandma

The baby.
We know this because play time always ends when baby is screaming her loving head off because grandma kept pushing the wake window.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
How much are you paying for daycare/kindergarten? My oldest is starting school in may, and our youngest starts kindergarten in June, which will make quite a difference to our monthly cost, but right now we're paying about 900 USD total per month.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Monthly bill for 2 kids under 4 (UK preschool) for 3 days a week, £2300 / $2900. Preschool provision here is hosed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
£1700 a month here, for 5 days a week

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

$1350 a month, 5 days a week, 9am to 1pm.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
My MIL is great and she loves our kid but she also plays favourites with her grandkids and it really sucks.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The lice came back :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

4500 dkk/650 usd per monthfor vuggestue, which is 0-2.10 years old daycare. Includes food and is open from 7 till 1630 and basically only closed on public holidays. Kindergarden, 2.10-school age is cheaper.