Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t see the issue with the machine purchased. Add a Western Digital Easystore external drive at the most gb capacity you can afford, fill it up. Buy another later, fill that too. Buy a DAS (the dumb version of a NAS) and shuck the drives out of the enclosures and insert them into that when you start having more drives/power adapters being used than you like. No worries about an underpowered NAS getting overworked as you add more people/demands change, and form factor doesn’t take up much space.

Use https://shucks.top for drive pricing guidelines.

So I'd run the external drives from the USB3? I thought that was a general no-no when it came to storage. Or have the box empty and run a SATA3 connection into it with the HDD external?

I've also been trying to research DAS prebuilds and they all look fairly expensive. How would I go about building a DAS?

edit: I dunno if this is the best idea. This machine doesnt even have PCI-E for me to go with a DAS build like this and the idea of it running over USB3.0 just sounds sketchy.

I put in the return so hopefully that can go smoothly and I'll start research actual NAS builds instead of whatever the gently caress I was trying to do.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have more than a hundred TB connected via 2 DAS boxes, including the SSD I use for downloading/unpacking, and with 20+ people on my system it’s had zero issues in a whole bunch of years.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have a 20tb external drive connected via a usb2 slot (because my mb is too old to support usb3 :v:) and it works fine. You're overthinking it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I'd run the external drives from the USB3? I thought that was a general no-no when it came to storage. Or have the box empty and run a SATA3 connection into it with the HDD external?

I've also been trying to research DAS prebuilds and they all look fairly expensive. How would I go about building a DAS?

edit: I dunno if this is the best idea. This machine doesnt even have PCI-E for me to go with a DAS build like this and the idea of it running over USB3.0 just sounds sketchy.

I put in the return so hopefully that can go smoothly and I'll start research actual NAS builds instead of whatever the gently caress I was trying to do.

Yeah you're overthinking it. You can just keep the Dell box and throw that 2TB 3.5" you already own into a cheap USB external enclosure and call it a day. My Plex server operated with 4 USB external drives for a good long while before I went all internal.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

teagone posted:

Yeah you're overthinking it. You can just keep the Dell box and throw that 2TB 3.5" you already own into a cheap USB external enclosure and call it a day. My Plex server operated with 4 USB external drives for a good long while before I went all internal.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. I tried using pcpartspicker to build a sub-$500CAD build in mini-ITX or micro-ATX form factor and wasn't really able to get comparable specs to this guy. So I might just drop the $90CAD for the 1TB 2.5in HDD, get a USB3.0 enclosure for my spare 2TB HDD and just go from there and expand storage as I need it externally.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I'd run the external drives from the USB3? I thought that was a general no-no when it came to storage.

I mean if you're trying to get NVMe throughput type speeds or are trying to saturate something or the other then sure, the speed hit by doing that would be a problem. However for what you're going for that's more than enough and if you're just plugging it in and leaving it alone will do just fine for all of this.

Now I'd might not run a VM on possibly a container reading/writing to storage attached that way personally if that's something you're thinking about doing, but you absolutely can and again would be very unlikely to notice the perf hits as a result. What you have is perfectly fine for what you're trying to do.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I'd run the external drives from the USB3? I thought that was a general no-no when it came to storage.

I wouldn't put them in a RAID array, Windows Storage Spaces, etc. but it's fine to just attach and use. USB 3 speeds (5 gigabit/second) is more than enough for your ~10 megabit/second Linux ISOs. I wouldn't buy the $90 1 TB drive, that's a terrible deal even for Canada. I see on bestbuy.ca 14 TB for $330 but I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not for outside :patriot:. I know Best Buy in :patriot: can have 18/20 TB drives for around $200.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Oysters Autobio posted:

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. I tried using pcpartspicker to build a sub-$500CAD build in mini-ITX or micro-ATX form factor and wasn't really able to get comparable specs to this guy. So I might just drop the $90CAD for the 1TB 2.5in HDD, get a USB3.0 enclosure for my spare 2TB HDD and just go from there and expand storage as I need it externally.

If you're planning towards expansion you should not be paying the mini itx tax or even considering micro atx (unless there's some kind of sale on the motherboard).

I built in a fractal R6 and have gradually filled it over the years. You also don't need to go with current gen hardware. If building is the way you want to go. Basically go used hardware and a mid tower with a good amount of drive cages and you can 100% get very close to 500 with plenty of juice for jellyfin.

Unless you don't have the room? But it also looks like you've got a plan so go for that instead.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

gariig posted:

I wouldn't buy the $90 1 TB drive, that's a terrible deal even for Canada. I see on bestbuy.ca 14 TB for $330 but I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not for outside :patriot:. I know Best Buy in :patriot: can have 18/20 TB drives for around $200.

The bay only fits a laptop-sized 2.5in HDD so not as many options unless I go full frankenNAS and get rid of the top-cover (honestly might not be the worst idea, maybe i could get a taller one 3D printed?)

I did however mess up and think SATA 3.0 and "SATA 6GB/s" werent the same interfaces, so I was filtering my options down. I can at least get a 2.5in Barracuda 2TB HDD for $100 now.

Matt Zerella posted:

If you're planning towards expansion you should not be paying the mini itx tax or even considering micro atx (unless there's some kind of sale on the motherboard).

I built in a fractal R6 and have gradually filled it over the years. You also don't need to go with current gen hardware. If building is the way you want to go. Basically go used hardware and a mid tower with a good amount of drive cages and you can 100% get very close to 500 with plenty of juice for jellyfin.

Unless you don't have the room? But it also looks like you've got a plan so go for that instead.

Yeah I do have room, I mean I could just plop it next to my existing mid tower PC or the TV itself. Might have got fixated too much on the size.

edit: and now I can't connect this drat thing to a monitor. My monitors aren't picking up the DP-to-HDMI cables so Ive got no screen, which apparently is a known bug with Dells, so I might have to return this fucker now anyways.

edit final: well, that ends this whole headache. Video out from DP-to-HDMI does not work at all on two separate monitors. Luckily, ebay is accepting the refund request so its back to the drawing board.

I'm going to take Matt Zerella's advice here and do what I should've done from the start and just build this from an atx tower with cheaper parts. Not as small form factor, but I can hide it regardless and it gives me plenty of space to expand as well as flexibility in re-purposing older parts I might upgrade on my gaming PC (for example, already have 16GB RAM I could use).

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 5, 2024

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oysters Autobio posted:

[

edit: and now I can't connect this drat thing to a monitor. My monitors aren't picking up the DP-to-HDMI cables so Ive got no screen, which apparently is a known bug with Dells, so I might have to return this fucker now anyways.

edit final: well, that ends this whole headache. Video out from DP-to-HDMI does not work at all on two separate monitors. Luckily, ebay is accepting the refund request so its back to the drawing board.

Was the dp to HDMI cable active or passive? Because you want active adapters because there are times when passive adapters will not support HDMI

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Using old repurposed PC parts and a giant case so you can continue to add HDs to it is the way to go if you’re looking to fill it up with media.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Corb3t posted:

Using old repurposed PC parts and a giant case so you can continue to add HDs to it is the way to go if you’re looking to fill it up with media.

Yeah this is the path I went and it worked out great. Late last year I wanted to move my gaming PC into a new more modern case with better thermals, but nothing on the market actually had room for all the drives I had and was in my price range. Realized I just had a complete PC minus PSU / Case sitting around on my shelf. Put gaming PC into new fancy case, use old case to make a file server and everyone is happy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Corb3t posted:

Yeah, +1 to this route as well. My Plex server was a repurposed gaming PC built inside an NZXT Tempest 210 case. It made the transition from gaming PC to full time Plex server around 2013ish; equipped with an 880GM based mainboard, Phenom II X4 840 CPU, 8GB of RAM, 500GB Samsung HDD I think for the OS, and several external USB drives of varrying sizes attached for more storage. I had this setup for about ~5 years? I eventually added some 1TB blues, shucked the externals to connect internally, and around 2018 I replaced the mainboard/cpu/ram with a B450 board/Ryzen 3 2200G/16GB setup, new PSU, and added in an LSI controller card to connect all the HDDs that a goon graciously sent me for only the cost of shipping.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

univbee posted:

That's definitely snarky as gently caress and there's a story there regarding too much handholding/tech support, but its core message isn't wrong per se. The vast, vast, vast majority of people do not notice or care about how many p's or K's your thing is.

We were visiting friends last week and I was getting annoyed at a low bitrate transcode, so I screwed around with settings for a few minutes to fix it.

After starting it back up, our friend immediately said "it looks exactly the same".

I thought of this thread.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TheScott2K posted:

I'd like to see them make a deal with Vudu or someone so the legit digital movies I own can play through Plex.

We're one step closer

https://www.plex.tv/blog/welcome-to-rental-land-on-plex/

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Is there a nice tool that can show me a graph of hard drive space over time? I used to manually calculate my “burn rate” so that I knew when I would need to buy more drives, but I’m sure there’s something that does it in very pretty way and maybe with more information?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Talorat posted:

Is there a nice tool that can show me a graph of hard drive space over time? I used to manually calculate my “burn rate” so that I knew when I would need to buy more drives, but I’m sure there’s something that does it in very pretty way and maybe with more information?

I don't know of one, and it's an interesting enough thing that I'm curious how it would work. Assume the mtime of a file was when it was written, and then scan the disk constructing a history based on that?

Can't use ctime because many downloaders backdate the ctime to the original ctime of the file. Not sure how that would work with zip/rar files.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Talorat posted:

NAS? USB drives? What do you have? What OS?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Talorat posted:

There's probably a combination of SolarWinds or Graphana and API calls that could crunch those numbers, but I can't think of an off the shelf solution that's not aimed at IT Scale systems.

SolarWinds does offer a 30day trial tho
https://www.solarwinds.com/storage-resource-monitor/use-cases/storage-capacity-planning

Bonzo posted:

NAS? USB drives? What do you have? What OS?

Also this.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was going to say a combination of Prometheus, Node Exporter, and Grafana, but I figured that’s way too much infrastructure for a one system personal use case.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Os is Ubuntu, the storage is a single ZFS raid on the same device. I basically just want something that runs du -hf every day and then graphs the results. I guess I can just do it myself.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Talorat posted:

Os is Ubuntu, the storage is a single ZFS raid on the same device. I basically just want something that runs du -hf every day and then graphs the results. I guess I can just do it myself.

Oh, just install netdata then I'm pretty sure that'll do it for you in one go.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Oh awesome, this looks great, thank you!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm using Plexamp for streaming my music collection and I haved noticed a lot of my 'Various Artists' compilation albums all the the same erroneous Artist attributed to them

Using MP3Tag I can see that these compilations have the correct 'Album Artist' tag and these are in the correct folder structure. Using 'Fix Match' sometimes does not change this.

Is there a way I can bulk correct these?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

nexus6 posted:

I'm using Plexamp for streaming my music collection and I haved noticed a lot of my 'Various Artists' compilation albums all the the same erroneous Artist attributed to them

Using MP3Tag I can see that these compilations have the correct 'Album Artist' tag and these are in the correct folder structure. Using 'Fix Match' sometimes does not change this.

Is there a way I can bulk correct these?

My fight with Plex and getting it to properly use id3 tags has gone on for years. I can't find a good way to get it to truly honor them. If someone does know I would also love to know.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
My workflow for getting Plex to actually use id3 tags is to either have lidarr handle updating them or do it manually in mp3tag to make sure it's all good and consistent. If Plex still doesn't pick it up the changes after "Refresh Metadata" I have to move the music out, refresh the library, and then move it back. Don't even bother with lidarr at this stage, just move the folder, scan the library, move the folder back, scan again. It's incredibly fiddly so I have a backlog of oldies/singles I haven't bothered with for this reason.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Can anyone explain to me the benefit of direct mode for Infuse (with Plex)?

I kind of like the library view and I never really found it slow.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Downloads actually work has been my understanding.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

Downloads actually work has been my understanding.

So on my AppleTV no real benefit if I'm fine with library modes speed?

I like the picks of the day list and it looks like that's not on direct mode.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Library mode for me in infuse always takes the client a bit to refresh the plex libraries. I much prefer direct mode.

https://community.firecore.com/t/infuse-7-7-direct-mode/47440

kri kri fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 13, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

My Plex library is too large for library view (constant metadata refreshing/loading/syncing), and I prefer that my watch history stays in sync with Plex + Tautulli in direct mode across all apps/platforms.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Corb3t posted:

My Plex library is too large for library view (constant metadata refreshing/loading/syncing), and I prefer that my watch history stays in sync with Plex + Tautulli in direct mode across all apps/platforms.

Wait what? My watch history syncs fine with Library mode? Or is this because of your library being large?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have a pretty big library and Infuse was always slow to refresh it (slow meaning it took like…maybe 2 minutes if I added something new to the library for it to show up in infuse.)

But in direct mode, the only categories that show up are “recently added” in each of my libraries and there doesn’t seem to be a way to re-order them so I might stick with Library mode anyway?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

I have a pretty big library and Infuse was always slow to refresh it (slow meaning it took like…maybe 2 minutes if I added something new to the library for it to show up in infuse.)

But in direct mode, the only categories that show up are “recently added” in each of my libraries and there doesn’t seem to be a way to re-order them so I might stick with Library mode anyway?

This last part is my problem. I'm also not seeing collections in the movie list? It just feels super incomplete.

No next up, no picks of the day, etc.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

This last part is my problem. I'm also not seeing collections in the movie list? It just feels super incomplete.

No next up, no picks of the day, etc.

Collections is not in yet, per their blog post.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Wait what? My watch history syncs fine with Library mode? Or is this because of your library being large?

It’s probably because it takes so long for my library to refresh in Infuse because it’s so big.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I wonder what sort of OS-level API horror show is to blame for Plex downloads being so flaky.

Are they bad on iOS too?

The good news is that on this Chromebook, when Plex refuses to start a downloaded video, I can just play it from the filesystem. Android didn't provide that sort of visibility into application space.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Locally on iOS my downloads seem pretty good and fast, remotely they’re a nightmare.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've restarted the app about a dozen times now and I'm learning that certain files will reliably gum up every other download. I can't tell yet what it is about those files, but it's pretty consistent. Removing those from the queue gets everything else back on track.

I'll report back with any additional findings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wait what? Is there any platform they actually work on?