Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The graphics in Clock Tower are quite charming. And what little sound design there is as well. First death was from the mirror by the way.

I'm not sure if I understand the gameplay very well though, my first encounter with Scissor man I escaped him by just running through a ton of halls. I'd thought that the game would be more of a hide and seek affair, and some of the areas like the garage with the hay nails seem like they confirm that. Am I right in this assumption?

Secondly I like that Jennifer's portrait changes depending on her emotional state, I found that it moved from blue to red on my fleeing from SM which led to her tripping. Is this the only consequence of being in an emotionally fraught state or are there other consequences I cannot see? And is resting with triangle the only way to cure it?

I'd wish I'd have realized that you had to open the inventory to use items sooner. I'm going to have to go back and explore all the first wing again now that I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Aside from tripping, if your portrait is in the Red you will die should you fail to defend yourself against Scissor Man or any other event that requires Panic mashing. Don’t quote me on this but I think it may also require more mashing to succeed Panic events if your portrait is Red, but I’ve never been sure on that. Jennifer’s condition drains so fast and takes so long to recover that I’d never worry too much about it regardless.

Generally you need to hide from Scissor Man to get him to go away, but there are certain areas he can’t follow you through like the hole in the courtyard wall. Go through these screen transitions, and the chase just ends. Scissor Man only attacks you in specific areas or by taking specific actions, so if you know what you’re doing you only have to deal with him in the very first chase and at the end of the game.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Still can't believe they basically made Jennifer Connelly the protagonist. It's practically actionably her likeness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The collab you never knew you wanted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN1qM4f8_J0

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I've spent the past 20 years remembering James Earl Cash from Manhunt as a silent protagonist...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does Clocktower remember your previous deaths or did I get good RNG; I got jumped by Scissorman in the Piano room, which actually gave me a jolt, and had to run back to the other wings bathroom to evade him. On locking the doors he initially jammed his scissors in and skewered Jennifer. But upon reloading he just gave up when confronted with the lock.

At least I've found the Demon Idol and discovered Mrs.Mary is an evil twin who killed my father. It's funny, the game feels pretty generous and kind with its reloading and how little actual action there is, but at the same time I have zero idea of where to go. I assume the Clocktower itself is the final area, but how to get there escapes me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Gaius Marius posted:

Does Clocktower remember your previous deaths or did I get good RNG; I got jumped by Scissorman in the Piano room, which actually gave me a jolt, and had to run back to the other wings bathroom to evade him. On locking the doors he initially jammed his scissors in and skewered Jennifer. But upon reloading he just gave up when confronted with the lock.

At least I've found the Demon Idol and discovered Mrs.Mary is an evil twin who killed my father. It's funny, the game feels pretty generous and kind with its reloading and how little actual action there is, but at the same time I have zero idea of where to go. I assume the Clocktower itself is the final area, but how to get there escapes me.
There's quite a bit to Clocktower that's random, even for the SNES it was pretty impressive to have a perpetual enemy chasing you around from screen to screen or where it might decide to show up being somewhat random (or at least giving that impression). Also I think the game will try to give you the benefit of the doubt when you first try to hide in a location or use a spot to avoid Scissorman, but you can't keep relying on the same spot or setup as the next time (there really is a finite amount of safe places you can get to reasonably, at least I don't recall any traps or places you could continually use).

I think though there are some specific triggers to make sure your friends survive or not; depending on how much you want for spoilers, there are definitely ways to save some of the other kids but not all of them. Or you can definitely leave the house early...though that's not the best idea :)

I'd also say if you're interested in extra content, the SNES version was re-released with some extra content in Japan on the PS1 and it's got a fan translation out there. It was interesting the bits of added story, and I'm wanting to say there might have been some extra areas? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the cutscenes they added in.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

discworld is all I read posted:

There's quite a bit to Clocktower that's random, even for the SNES it was pretty impressive to have a perpetual enemy chasing you around from screen to screen or where it might decide to show up being somewhat random (or at least giving that impression). Also I think the game will try to give you the benefit of the doubt when you first try to hide in a location or use a spot to avoid Scissorman, but you can't keep relying on the same spot or setup as the next time (there really is a finite amount of safe places you can get to reasonably, at least I don't recall any traps or places you could continually use).

I think though there are some specific triggers to make sure your friends survive or not; depending on how much you want for spoilers, there are definitely ways to save some of the other kids but not all of them. Or you can definitely leave the house early...though that's not the best idea :)

I'd also say if you're interested in extra content, the SNES version was re-released with some extra content in Japan on the PS1 and it's got a fan translation out there. It was interesting the bits of added story, and I'm wanting to say there might have been some extra areas? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the cutscenes they added in.

There is also the remaster coming out, and probably soon too.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There is also the remaster coming out, and probably soon too.
Yeah, I'm a bit curious if they're adding anything new to that or if it's just an official translation/port at this point.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished amnesia rebirth. think i prefer the dark descent overall but this was cool in its own way. definitely, way, way better than machine for pigs. excited to get around to the bunker later this month

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nice

Got the C ending on my first run, only part that really gave me trouble was the key to the ritual room. I kept clicking on the clown doll and not on the dresser. I did four or five laps of the mansion before I realized what I did wrong.

Very cool game. It nails the tone of that type of Horror movie perfectly, from the gothic mansion to the amontillado man all the way to the creature in the pit.

Highly recommend people who haven't play it give it a shot, it's pretty breezy once you get the gist of the movement and the panic system. As long as you realize that you need to grab the key from under the doll.

So story wise what I got is that Mary adopted the children secretly part of the Barrow family. Jennifer's dad was the one who delivered her children, one of which is the Scissorman and one of which is the Pit Creature, and she's been adopting and murdering the children to feed her sons and because she might literally be a demon or possessed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, I'm a bit curious if they're adding anything new to that or if it's just an official translation/port at this point.

Well they have already stated they are adding animated cutscenes. They haven't mentioned any other new features yet though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gaius Marius posted:

Kuon, Parasite Eve or Clock Tower?

gently caress Kuon, marry Clock Tower, kill Parasite Eve

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Parasite Eve's Opening music track doesn't feel like it fits with the visuals at all. The game already has an impressive amount of atmosphere though.
The Powerhouse of the Cell

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 11, 2024

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
spent a few hours playing Apsulov: End of Gods and I honestly don't get the praise for it. Sure, a sci-fi take on Norse mythology is novel territory for a horror game (though not for gaming in general, though nobody likes to be reminded of Too Human), but otherwise, it's just dull all around: from the level design, to the exposition dumps, to the enemy design, to the unenjoyable stealth mechanics, to the "shoot green energy" mechanic for environmental interaction. Save points can be fairly far apart too, which is frustrating when enemies kill you quickly (even on easy difficulty) or you accidentally stumble into into a bottomless pit. Recommend playing these devs' previous horror game, Unforgiving: A Northern Hymn, instead.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Gaius Marius posted:

Parasite Eve's Opening music track doesn't feel like it fits with the visuals at all. The game already has an impressive amount of atmosphere though.
The Powerhouse of the Cell

Its pretty standard Square MO for the time, Parasite Eve 2 does sorta the same thing.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

I forgot about Shatmemz, I did get a kick out of that one. It was at least trying to do something original instead of aping all the popular elements of past games. The psychiatrist stuff is funny as hell but I do like that the game will change poo poo based on “you zoomed in on this booby calendar” or some such. It was a novel idea. I think having it separated into either chase sequences or absolutely no threats at all probably harmed it.

I thought the idea of what they were trying to do was interesting, but for me, it was kind of ruined once I realized that there was absolutely no threat whatsoever when the world wasn't frozen. The not-frozen, not-chase areas were supposed to be the dark, scary atmospheres that made you want to take everything slowly, but there were literally no dangers or consequences of your actions at all, so it kind of stopped being scary.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shattered memories has the most ideas out of the later silent hills but it's a writing-heavy game and i think most of the writing in it is pretty awful. i dunno why sam barlow is so fixated on lisa's drug habit to the point shattered memories needed to have a minigame about selecting the right pill from lisa's literal cabinet full of nothing but identical-looking drugs

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 13, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just saw a trailer for labyrinth at the theatre. Jennifer really is a young Jennifer drat.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gaius Marius posted:

Just saw a trailer for labyrinth at the theatre. Jennifer really is a young Jennifer drat.

This is what I meant by saying it was actionably her likeness, I suspect it's part of why it hasn't been localized for so long

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Snake is basically Snake Plissken though. I wonder if it's just too niche. A simple name change would be enough to argue against it being the same person

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Snake is basically Snake Plissken though. I wonder if it's just too niche. A simple name change would be enough to argue against it being the same person

Dude literally goes by Plisken in MGS2. It's not a real subtle reference.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there was an interview with john carpenter where it got brought up and he was like "oh yeah that kojima guy. he copied a ton of stuff from my movies but he was really nice about it so i'm okay with him."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Probably doesn't hurt that John Carpenter has been an avid gamer all the way into his 70s

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
He openly admits to spending his royalties on XBox and weed, a gamer true and living the gamer dream.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

John Carpenter seems like a neat guy and I like (most) of his movies and his music.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Dude literally goes by Plisken in MGS2. It's not a real subtle reference.

i don't think 'subtle' is an adjective particularly suited to Kojima's output overall, really

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Darkknight2149/status/1757452170381685157?t=TSs29bRJNW5a4V-RRerYDg&s=19

What the heck

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

"Konami didn't edit the trailer to hide how bad the combat was"

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Apparently Konami cut the trailer together using an old build from early 2023.

If true, very Konami of them tbh. Not sure what else anyone would expect when partnering w/ them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished amnesia the bunker. i thought rebirth was cool but that game was extremely sick

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
THE GENERATOR THIRSTS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blankspace posted:

Apparently Konami cut the trailer together using an old build from early 2023.

If true, very Konami of them tbh. Not sure what else anyone would expect when partnering w/ them.

Gonna laugh if it's another case of DOOM 2016.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think bloober team silent hill 2 is going to turn out to be an extremely gratifying action game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i dont think bloober team silent hill 2 is going to turn out to be an extremely gratifying action game

More in the sense that the publisher cut a trailer with all the least-interesting aspects of the game.

I doubt it'd be the case here too, just it'd be real funny if they did.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

silent hill ended two decades ago I don't really care about it much less think its honor needs defending. to everything there is a season

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

that said, when's the next fatal frame

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I demand more Clock Towers and Fatal Frames. Ripoffs like Remothered and Dreadout don't count because they stink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Itchy. Stinky.