Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Garfu posted:

I know the price will spike but then does it get crushed cause EVERYONE has to sell? That's what I'm asking. I'm gonna sit here watching it regardless, and it's up 60% before earning even happened, so no matter what happens I'm good, was just looking for some advice if anyone had any. I mostly buy LEAPs.

It can't really be predicted. A hot open may fade, continue building, or meander. If you're totally indifferent, sell ten minutes after the open, because one certainty is that there will still be some time value at 9:40 AM that evaporates by 4:00 PM.

(And you meant ONE day to expiration, not zero, right? Because if you bought 0 dtes this morning...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Agronox posted:

It can't really be predicted. A hot open may fade, continue building, or meander. If you're totally indifferent, sell ten minutes after the open, because one certainty is that there will still be some time value at 9:40 AM that evaporates by 4:00 PM.

(And you meant ONE day to expiration, not zero, right? Because if you bought 0 dtes this morning...)

Options expire on Fridays in almost all cases. Especially in companies instead of a fund.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yeah I meant starting tomorrow it's 0DTE heh, my bad. It's these AMZN Feb 2 2024 165 Call (Weekly) that I bought at open this morning. I do a lot of options trading in general but 98% of it is not on earnings and weeklies.

edit: Sold pretty close to the bell for around +120% from when I bought them yesterday morning. Man... too much stress for not much (relative) payoff when I usually do long term holds.

Altho it looks like I should have waited the 10 minutes as mentioned! But still, glad that's over.

edit2: Yup, 10 minutes was the magic number lol

Garfu fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 2, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Garfu posted:

heh

edit: question for pmchem or other people that know stuff. So tomorrow, when do I sell my options that expire tomorrow? AMZN is gonna be up a lot. I'm gonna be sitting here at open, do I wait like 5 minutes? A half hour? Waiting too long and they tank right? Despite all the plays I've made this is the first where the earnings were after hours and the options expire the next day.

For situations such "I want to get out but don't know how or when", a trailing stop is great. Place it decently deep in profit and just keep rolling it up as it climbs. Let the robots stop you out and feel zero FOMO or regret.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Would not suggest stops on deep ITM options due to likely large spreads. If you are going to do that then set a stop on the shares themselves and that will lock you in wherever it fires today (since the options will zero out your position overnight upon exercise). So if you are now long 10 contracts that are now 0dte = sell 1000 shares trailing stop at whatever underlying price.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I was trading TQQQ. Then I was recommended TECL instead. Anyone think another tech fund is better? For day trading.

Also I trade SQQQ if I think the market is going down. Same question on that.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Dow transports at a double top from last August. Either we're going higher, or lower.

Hmmm...

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

ChocNitty posted:

I was trading TQQQ. Then I was recommended TECL instead. Anyone think another tech fund is better? For day trading.

Nasdaq futures will be the most liquid and can be traded long and short with minimal margin required for the leverage you get. My understanding is most day traders who trade major indices use futures.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Woodchip posted:

Either we're going higher, or lower.

Thread title

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

QQQ is not a tech fund. It is tech heavy (57% right now), but also has stuff like Starbucks, Costco, and Pepsi.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pastrami posted:

Nasdaq futures will be the most liquid and can be traded long and short with minimal margin required for the leverage you get. My understanding is most day traders who trade major indices use futures.

They're also more tax efficient than options on or spot ETFs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Where is GE going to be at the end of March

It's just been ripping. GE Power is supposed to spin off in like 30 days

Quoting this hoping somebody has some thoughts on this onward march upwards

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Where is GE going to be at the end of March

It's just been ripping. GE Power is supposed to spin off in like 30 days

Woodchip posted:

Either we're going higher, or lower.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kind of surprised admins are sleeping on our new thread title

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Cheers all, and good luck to all of us.

Thread title applies to everything but natgas, which is always lower.

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

If you only knew the power of...

edit:

lmao never mind

Zephyris fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 5, 2024

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

NVDA went down today??? Is this allowed???

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Not only that, but PLTR is sustaining a 28% leap after a positive earnings call. Madness!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

NVDA went down today???

Mods??!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Shear Modulus posted:

Jay! Cut the rates!

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

kinda sorta just want to slam some way OTM calls for friday seeing as how every dip has been getting insta-bought for the last few months.
If it keeps dumping you'll know that I bought them.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Guess it was higher. Except energy, which is not on fire.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
INTC $46 Put expiring on 5/17.

It seems like you are required to just sell options when you are up exactly $420.00 in value. (I did sell these today - I actually do believe that Intel is going to be sub $40 in May, but sometimes you gotta sell because the number is funny :P)

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Quick ~10%+ 3 month gains from TUR taken off the table...

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TUR?p=TUR&.tsrc=fin-srch

I don't recommend country-specific ETFs, though. This has really been a past few weeks of profit-taking, TBH. Stick to the sexy stocks, like chips, etc, everybody is talking about...

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

USA really is the best game in town.

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

So, a little update - here's my current KOLD stack. Sitting at a ~ 22% drawdown right now. The Widowmaker is trying to make me sweat

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
ARM up 59% holy cow

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

let's talk more-frequently-occurring spike events that affect company earnings. specifically, extreme weather events. things like hurricanes, floods, extreme heat waves, etc., are known to be risks for the insurance industry. but are there corporate benefactors from such events?

I suggest one might be Copart. $CPRT
https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=CPRT&p=m

this company is incredible. basically any financial/stock metric you want to go up is just y=x. hell, even its margins have doubled over the past decade. but enough about momentum. what's the business?

they are basically the middleman between insurance companies and whoever buys wrecked cars. they have the software/website/interface, set up the markets, hold the cars on their lots. but they don't buy the cars. they are eating market share from their main competitors over the past 20 years and have a real chance to become a de facto monopoly on multiple continents.

aside from it being a good, well-run business in general, it seems like an actual random benefactor from disaster events. tons of floods in LA? bunch of cars get totaled. hurricane hits miami? bunch of cars get totaled. I'm not sure if those events actually move the needle on CPRT's quarterly metrics -- and would love goon research to settle the issue -- but it's an interesting non-negative for them.

what other publicly traded companies see business go up as people deal with the aftermath of such things? LA/Cali goons, what goods/services are people buying after the floods there? (aside from construction -- not sure how to trade that?)

Shroud
May 11, 2009

pmchem posted:

let's talk more-frequently-occurring spike events that affect company earnings. specifically, extreme weather events. things like hurricanes, floods, extreme heat waves, etc., are known to be risks for the insurance industry. but are there corporate benefactors from such events?

I suggest one might be Copart. $CPRT
https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=CPRT&p=m

this company is incredible. basically any financial/stock metric you want to go up is just y=x. hell, even its margins have doubled over the past decade. but enough about momentum. what's the business?

they are basically the middleman between insurance companies and whoever buys wrecked cars. they have the software/website/interface, set up the markets, hold the cars on their lots. but they don't buy the cars. they are eating market share from their main competitors over the past 20 years and have a real chance to become a de facto monopoly on multiple continents.

aside from it being a good, well-run business in general, it seems like an actual random benefactor from disaster events. tons of floods in LA? bunch of cars get totaled. hurricane hits miami? bunch of cars get totaled. I'm not sure if those events actually move the needle on CPRT's quarterly metrics -- and would love goon research to settle the issue -- but it's an interesting non-negative for them.

what other publicly traded companies see business go up as people deal with the aftermath of such things? LA/Cali goons, what goods/services are people buying after the floods there? (aside from construction -- not sure how to trade that?)

Regarding $CPRT, I love the balance sheet, but hate the multiples. Practically no debt, but trading at > 12 P/S. It feels like that ship has already sailed. Sounds like a good company, though.

Not in CA, but it seems like HD/LOW and/or tool and paint manufacturers would be the best bet after a disaster

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tool rental outfits I bet
this southern-california-specific equipment rental company is private I think: https://www.quinncompany.com/our-company/ but that sort of thing if there's a public company focused on this sector, they're gonna rent out more dump trucks and scissor lifts etc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It’s over 5000

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The SMCI shares I bought on October have almost tripled since then. drat.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

pmchem posted:

risks for the insurance industry. but are there corporate benefactors from such events?

Reinsurance.

$RGA (but these guys are predominantly life and health, I believe)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Maybe anything gravel and concrete? Like the basics. Floods wash out highways and you need poo poo tons of gravel and concrete to rebuild that.

Casual glance reveals stock tickers MLM, EXP, VMC

Gravel and Concrete is such a basic input that its required for anything regardless of any sort of policy. So long as there is any desire to invest in infrastructure you need gravel.

I bet a lot of this stuff is private. Private little gravel mines all over. Concrete has to be made locally because it can only travel so far.

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

Update - NG is kicking my rear end. Hit about a ~35% drawdown so right now I'm managing the position with long calls to reduce my delta, and cut a single 90C. Re shorted OTM. Goal is to above all else make it out alive and ideally in no worse shape going into 2024. If I make money, great!

NG is not for the weak of heart or conviction

Baddog
May 12, 2001
NVDA is insanely overpriced, this is wild. Bought some lotto ticket puts. Lets go! One time!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Baddog posted:

NVDA is insanely overpriced, this is wild. Bought some lotto ticket puts. Lets go! One time!

What are the digits on those puts?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

SMCI is going to hit $1000. Nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Umbreon posted:

What are the digits on those puts?

Lol, you all are gonna laugh - jesus christ, I need to get some more caffeine in me. I was going off some dumbass feed that made it look like earnings was *tonight*! Actually my *entire* feed was "NVDA earnings are here!!!1!" But earnings are actually still a week out, and next weeks puts are uhhh, quite a bit more realistic for the anticipated movement.

Pray for my (this week) 700p's, maybe they will still print tomorrow!