Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

UnleashedDad posted:

We can argue particulars until the cows come home but the man is on a slope and it is going downward. It's been diminishing year after year. He knew this during the Black Adam release which was why he was so desperate for it to be a big hit. And it is likely partially why he is doing Mania.

People would have been saying that any year cause that movie is amazing and the single best theater experience of my life.

Are you richer than the rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fez_machine posted:

Last time he wrestled he got injured and probably lost millions. Simply not worth it while he has a career doing other things no matter how much he enjoys it.

And yet he's doing it now with multiple big projects and even smaller ones like The Smashing Machine which will require him to be in top shape.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MassRafTer posted:

It came out in a year with massively depressed box office returns and released the same day on streaming. 4th biggest domestic box office of the summer, and again it was initially greenlit for a sequel. It did what people expected for a movie coming out in a disastrous year. There's a reason so many people felt like Top Gun Maverick saved cinemas a year later.

Googling "jungle cruise flop" pulls up numerous results explaining why it flopped, in spite of the things you mentioned. There are any number of reasons Disney greenlit a sequel to a movie that underperformed to that extent, from "we want to maintain our working relationship with the Rock" to "we need to have content for D+". That doesn't make it a successful film at the box office.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Yes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

And yet he's doing it now with multiple big projects and even smaller ones like The Smashing Machine which will require him to be in top shape.

What upcoming projects? He's got one film releasing this year. With post-production timeline being what they are Fast X Part 2 has presumably been filmed/same with live action Moana. Moana 2 doest require him to be in any type of physical shape (probably already has the voice work done as well).

Everything else is "in development", except The Smashing Machine.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
The fact that there's an argument over whether Jungle Cruise was a flop or not is basically all the evidence you need that The Rock's movie career isn't what he wants it to be.

If The Rock is so concerned in how he looks in movies, he should be going the Jason Statham route. Just hitting lucrative singles and doubles at the box office while beating up nobodies.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

projecthalaxy posted:

I have nine dollars cash right now so I'm two better

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

UnleashedDad posted:

His Fast and Furious spin off did not do well
Jungle Cruise bombed
Red Notice who gives a poo poo
Black Adam bombed
He had to come crawling back to Vin to get a Fast X 2 role
Young Rock cancelled
XFL was forced to merge

What are you talking about

e: his next movie is supposed to be a Netflix movie about Santa that has been in the can for a year. Not looking good!

He made Skyscraper and Rampage - both made good profits.

Hobbs and Shaw made a lot worldwide.

jungle cruise, black Adam, and red notice are COVID movies so profits are questionable

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fez_machine posted:

The Rock would absolutely not be doing anything wrestling related if his movie career was going better.

It's this and I'm stunned it's even a "debate", as terribly as it's obviously going for his fans

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fez_machine posted:

With post-production timeline being what they are Fast X Part 2 has presumably been filmed

Hah, no, they don't even have a script, and they've gone all the way back to the drawing board now that Vin Diesel has been outed as a sex monster. Diesel claims it's coming out in April of next year but they would need to begin shooting tomorrow to make that date.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wait, is Dwayne playing Mark Kerr?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

fez_machine posted:

The Rock had to wait a year but he would absolutely not be doing anything wrestling related if his movie career was going better.

:agreed: it's absolutely this

E: we should remember it wasn't all that long ago that Vince was trying to will a Rock/Roman match into reality, only for Rock to ignore, brush him off, or mockingly engage with the idea at every opportunity. Have we forgotten EGG so soon?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Timby posted:

Hah, no, they don't even have a script, and they've gone all the way back to the drawing board now that Vin Diesel has been outed as a sex monster. Diesel claims it's coming out in April of next year but they would need to begin shooting tomorrow to make that date.

Holy poo poo. Okay, guess I'm wrong in expecting any kind of competence from that crew.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

rocky rocky rocky!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Many people are saying Moana 2 is the Groverhaus of Moana movies

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fez_machine posted:

Holy poo poo. Okay, guess I'm wrong in expecting any kind of competence from that crew.

After Fast X under-performed, Universal got cold feet about how the budget had gotten wildly out of control (with a not-inconsiderable expense being that the VFX crews had to CG nearly every single shot of Diesel because he showed up for the shoot fat and out of shape) and so they want the next movie to have a considerably smaller scale. But, in any event, they are nowhere near being ready to roll cameras on Fast 11.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fez_machine posted:

What upcoming projects? He's got one film releasing this year. With post-production timeline being what they are Fast X Part 2 has presumably been filmed/same with live action Moana. Moana 2 doest require him to be in any type of physical shape (probably already has the voice work done as well).

Everything else is "in development", except The Smashing Machine.

There was a huge strike that threw pretty much everything in Hollywood into chaos. Red Notice 2 definitely hasn't started filming.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Googling "jungle cruise flop" pulls up numerous results explaining why it flopped, in spite of the things you mentioned. There are any number of reasons Disney greenlit a sequel to a movie that underperformed to that extent, from "we want to maintain our working relationship with the Rock" to "we need to have content for D+". That doesn't make it a successful film at the box office.

Look at contemporary industry sources. Variety basically mirrors what I've said. ERC wrote pretty positively about its oepning, holds and Disney+ sales.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/box-office-success-flop-covid-pandemic-1235032231/

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 8, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1755345765403127900?t=Utuir92uTeXLjSfOZ1sruA&s=19

The Rock knows exactly what the people are craving and it's Atlantis: Milo's Return apparently

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if you want evidence the rock has hit a career rough spot just look at him signing on to do an A24 produced movie directed by one of the safdie brothers after spending years and years playing it as safe as humanly possible when picking roles

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Parallax posted:

if you want evidence the rock has hit a career rough spot just look at him signing on to do an A24 produced movie directed by one of the safdie brothers after spending years and years playing it as safe as humanly possible when picking roles

A24 is complete venture capital exploiting an identified niche with a defined strategy now, so less risky than it might have been a decade ago.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol young rock

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol vince tricked dwayne into taking over the xfl

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

fez_machine posted:

A24 is complete venture capital exploiting an identified niche with a defined strategy now, so less risky than it might have been a decade ago.

yeah "rough spot" might be a bad way to put it, it's not like he's gonna be on poverty row anytime soon. his image as an actor has become especially bland and his draw power has waned and doing something a little more "adult" is definitely a change that might get him some accolades and sheen back. i don't think rocky is working wrestlemania cause black adam bombed, he's doing it because he's a guy who thinks about his brand and wants to maintain the wrestling portion of that

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Michael Eisner should do a hostile takeover of Disney the way The Rock did.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think Black Adam was very much a Last Action Hero situation where the film was so closely tied with him in publicity that its failure is particularly damaging.

Like a lot of the films that made him a big star were ensemble pieces, the Fast movies are all about “the family” etc.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NienNunb posted:

Euro Wrestlemania

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Finally a good idea in this thread.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think Black Adam was very much a Last Action Hero situation where the film was so closely tied with him in publicity that its failure is particularly damaging.

Like a lot of the films that made him a big star were ensemble pieces, the Fast movies are all about “the family” etc.

this makes sense. it was supposed to be a big deal that Dwayne was finally doing a comic book movie, plus the big deal he made about getting Cavill back, tying his involvement into that deal etc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Whoolighams posted:

this makes sense. it was supposed to be a big deal that Dwayne was finally doing a comic book movie, plus the big deal he made about getting Cavill back, tying his involvement into that deal etc.

The funniest part of that whole situation was Dwayne not only fundamentally misunderstanding the character of Black Adam, but deluding himself into thinking he could execute a putsch and get himself installed as the god king of DC movies, with Black Adam leading a whole bunch of movies down the road (which is why he personally worked out the deal with Cavill, with Cavill himself announcing he was back as DC's Superman).

And then a few days later, along came James Gunn and Peter Safran, who basically said, "lol no."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dwayne had been trying to get the black adam movie made since 2007 because fans told him he looked like black adam lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Finally a good idea in this thread.

The children yearn for Superstar Limo

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Still baffling that a Shazam and a Black Adam movie came out within a year of each other and they never acknowledged one another.

Edit: Or maybe they did, I didn’t see either one

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

The children yearn for Superstar Limo

He can finally tell The Haters and The Losers that he really is the golfer in Soarin'.

Chaunders
Jun 23, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Great to hear that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is not only single handedly saving the WWE this year, he’s also going to save Walt Disney Animation Studios

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Still baffling that a Shazam and a Black Adam movie came out within a year of each other and they never acknowledged one another.

Djimon Hounsou reprises his role of Shazam for a brief cameo in Black Adam.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If Jungle Cruise only made $20 million in WW box office over its reported budget (and I'm assuming that was its production budget alone, not production and advertising budgets combined), then that's a flop as far as Hollywood these days is concerned.

Generally speaking, a tent pole film not making double its reported production budget is usually a disappointment.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The Rock big timed Shazam and didn’t want anything to do with it. He knew if they ever crossed over he’d have to job to a group of teenagers.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
in the comics black adam is a fascist rear end in a top hat that kills people is always right and never fights captain marvel (now shazam) anymore

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No one has ever given a poo poo about Black Adam and that the Rock thought differently is one of the funniest things in the world to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But... a boxing glove makes a punch LESS hurtful and dangerous than not using a boxing glove? That's famously their entire point.

Not if it's loaded.

I saw it in a Looney Tunes cartoon once.