Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Splinter posted:

The Annupuri gates have been lit despite not much new snow this week. Been liking this side more than the Hirafu side though there were some short but fun tree sections on that side as well. Real storm is finally coming through tonight through Friday. Hopefully the wind isn’t too bad and stuff is actually open before we have to head out.

Sick man. Those gates were my favorite part of Niseko for sure. Hope you get some good deep days from this storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Well had a week skiing in Val Thorens, which was fun but it's seriously warm and has been very dry so there's been no fresh snow for a week or so. On piste was fine but definitely some icy runs and off piste was pretty horrible and crusty.

I managed to eat poo poo coming down a red run, after examining video playback it looks I ran over my own pole trying to pole plant and have broken my metatarsal. Luckily on my left hand but definitely off skis for a while. On the plus side I've got a fun video of it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
France has been terrible in regards to weather. January was kinda OK, but in 36 days I’ll be back in the French Alps, and I sure hope temperatures drop again followed by shitloads of snow. Otherwise I’d need to pack my canoe instead to ride the melting water.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Gonna ski in the Dolomites for a few days starting Tuesday and basically it's transformed into an Italian vacation with a bit of skiing as opposed to a ski vacation in Italy.

I'm honestly not at all mad. Plus it's on the Ikon so we're not actually paying for any of the ski aspects of the trip.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Go to Trento it rules and there's a Michelin star restaurant there.

also Bolzano

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

California folks can thank me for this, since I’m leaving for Crested Butte early tomorrow morning

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I pull up Google and the first recommended search is for a 22 year old girl who just died hitting a tree in Aspen. Be careful in the woods there friends

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Steve French posted:

California folks can thank me for this, since I’m leaving for Crested Butte early tomorrow morning

Crusty Butt powder days are the best

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Powder day at Vail today. Busy but not awful. Let's see what tomorrow is like!

Steve French posted:

There in two weeks save some powder for me.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Brighton and Solitude have been pretty good this weekend. Dig the vibe at Brighton for sure.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Varg posted:

I pull up Google and the first recommended search is for a 22 year old girl who just died hitting a tree in Aspen. Be careful in the woods there friends

It wasn't in the woods, it was on the run right under the chair at Highlands. If you're gonna go out, at least have an audience?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Demo Day at my mountain. Tried the Stockli Montero AR, my first experience ever with Stockli, and holy gently caress. My wife and I are saving for a house but I think I found a more pressing expense. These skis are unbelievable. The feel, the sound, the absolutely stability and confidence at any speed.

Kept them for 3 hours before exchanging for some QST 92s which was a hilarious difference. The QST is a fine ski, I described it to my mom (who I was skiing with) as the Toyota Camry of skis -- fine at everything, but impossible to get excited for or about.

Mom is short at 5'1" and had limited options at the demo day but really liked the Ripstick 88, so I guess we're both spending money this week.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth 47" and counting in the past three days

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Big news out of Colorado: Alterra is buying A Basin.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

A bay is another corporate acquisition.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Aight, I'm gonna get those Stöcklis tomorrow. Strive 14s a good pairing? My reasoning is, aside from power transfer or whatever, they're the lightest bindings in their class and those skis are pretty dang heavy so why not try to save a couple hundred grams per ski.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am not too surprised. All the people who praised A-basin for giving up the vail money after 20 years can suck it though.,

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Time posted:

I have a dumb problem and someone here might have a good solution. I bought a pair of atk freeraider 15 evo bindings from an online retailer. the box was apparently opened prior but I got them in new condition for like 70% off. However, when I took them to get mounted apparently the shop needs a paper jig to do it and it wasn't in the box. I emailed ATK to see if they have a pdf they can send me but its been radio silence. Does anyone know where I could find something that works? Im kind of losing my mind trying to solve this

Update on this - I provided official atk documentation and the thread provided documentation to this shop, they took a while but eventually got them done.

I picked them up today and when I got home I noticed they were off center by a couple mm. Both are left of center 2mm. I’m debating if I even bring it up because they had such a hard time with it but it’s going to drive me crazy. It’s visually noticeable to the point where I question the process they use in general. Very frustrating all around

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah don't sit on it, they hosed up your mount you gotta hold them to it asap.

Post a pic for us all to recoil in horror

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bawfuls posted:

Yeah don't sit on it, they hosed up your mount you gotta hold them to it asap.

Post a pic for us all to recoil in horror

yeah, that's bad, you need them to cover this. it sounds like they were either super unfamiliar or super distracted but you can't sit on it, you might have to karen up and have a word with a manager instead of speaking to the ski techs that f'ed the job

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 7, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also the standard shop compensation for loving up a new mount is new skis.

They have permanently damaged the value of those skis by drilling a wrong set of holes in them. Even if it's possible to redrill and mount them properly (and it may not be without moving your mount point fore/aft), the resale value is forever impacted by having 2 sets of mounting holes instead of just one.

If the shop that hosed up the mount doesn't carry those skis, then they need to source some and buy them for you. You should not accept anything less than this as compensation.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’ll post a pic tomorrow but the heel piece is also slightly canted on one making it not a smooth track down to lock into the pins when entering ski mode. I actually don’t know how this made it past them, this is super hosed. I understand they probably got their rear end kicked by not having what they needed to do this at first, but they told me it would be no problem to do. I gotta go in tomorrow. gently caress

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

drat that’s lovely. They should absolutely fix you up other than just refunding any work they charged.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

That sucks a ton. Mounting those things is a really touchy operation and requires a lot of patience (and good calipers) at every step.

Good luck getting made whole!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Time posted:

Both are left of center 2mm. I’m debating if I even bring it up

Beating the dead horse but if this is a real/reputable ski shop and they hosed up the first mount on a new pair they will be giving you a replacement new pair of skis and a free re-mount so yes, 100% absolutely bring it up

ironlung fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 7, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I went ahead and bought them and taking them out tomorrow

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

I went ahead and bought them and taking them out tomorrow

still married?

(nice skis)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Wistful of Dollars posted:

still married?

(nice skis)

Why would she be upset over a $150 pair of used demo skis?

Tbh she's just happy that skis are marginally more practical than watches.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 8, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Got a couple friends headed to Baldy tomorrow in search of the elusive SoCal pow day. They will definitely score because I can't go.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm headed to Park City tomorrow to visit family. Hoping to get two ski days in.

I'm in Seattle and haven't been out yet this season so I'm sure I'll be dead.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:lol: just to save anyone else the trouble, if you have a pair of old Lange SX90 boots and you think you can bump up the flex by putting a replacement screw in the second adjustment hole, there's no threads. It's just a blank hole with a plug because the boot presumably shares the upper section with higher flex models.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

On a similar note, my Solomon SPro 110s have a plate that if you flip it turns the boot into 120 flex. I did that the other day and was surprised how much stiffer they were. In a good way, mind. Just was interesting.

My problem is that the sweet spot between "way too loose" and "some blood circulation would be nice" is vanishingly small. I'm constantly fiddling with my buckles to the extent of one latch rotation adjustment per run throughout the day.

Probably my fault because I have an incredibly narrow heels and bunions on each foot so no boot is really designed for me. I should probably just get bunion surgery this spring and go for new boots after I'm healed up.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

My problem is that the sweet spot between "way too loose" and "some blood circulation would be nice" is vanishingly small. I'm constantly fiddling with my buckles to the extent of one latch rotation adjustment per run throughout the day.

Probably my fault because I have an incredibly narrow heels and bunions on each foot so no boot is really designed for me. I should probably just get bunion surgery this spring and go for new boots after I'm healed up.

My feet are misshapen in different ways, so I have no idea if this advice will be of any use to you, but: I’ve gotten the most comfortable days of my life just recently by changing the way I buckle my (professionally fitted) boots. I do the strap first, then lower shin buckle, then upper shin buckle, then strap again, then toe, then the buckle over the arch last. And the buckles go from basically tightest to loosest in the same order.

Maybe you’ve already tried this and everything else. Ski boots and feet are just not natural partners.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
drat, I just found out this entire sub forum even exists after way too many years on this website :v: I've been itching to go snowboarding again, I used to do it as a kid but the last time I went was probably a good.... 16 years ago, lmao. I'm in New England and have been doing some research into the different options near here. Seems like I'm stupidly lucky to have a pretty decent mountain (Berkshire East, always used to go there as a kid) within an hour drive that's only ~$40ish for a lift ticket! Seems like 95% of them are $150+ :stare: Pretty loving insane.

I'm actually considering going skiing my first time because I can't afford to break my wrist snowboarding nowadays, lol. I started with skiing as a kid but switched because it was too easy and boring. But I'm assuming that probably won't be the case now that I'm in my 30s and pretty out of shape :v:

I'll probably rent my first few times, if I can even make it this year before the season ends. Supposedly the season doesn't end for at least another month but it's been so freaking warm I can't imagine the conditions are great. I don't want to deal with a ton of ice my first time back on a board or skiis.

I don't know why I even posted this. I guess I just can't wait to get back on the mountain eventually! :banjo:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol I'm going to Vail in a couple weeks.

A three day lift ticket is $867

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

zeldadude posted:

I'm actually considering going skiing my first time because I can't afford to break my wrist snowboarding nowadays, lol. I started with skiing as a kid but switched because it was too easy and boring. But I'm assuming that probably won't be the case now that I'm in my 30s and pretty out of shape :v:
I started snowboarding with 42 years and not the best shape. Just get some wrist guards, and you'll be set.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If I was starting snowboarding for the first time I'd definitely get the wrist guards but also those impact shorts with the pads.

Although I once looked into those and there is apparently quite a WIDE difference in ones that work and ones that are trash so do your research

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s true skiing is too easy and boring that’s why I exclusively do one-leg telemarking in the park for an extra challenge

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean, skiing IS boring if you're on an east coast mountain.

Not so much if you're dropping Corbet's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

kiimo posted:

I mean, skiing IS boring if you're on an east coast mountain.
When conditions are good, I think you can get a lot of enjoyment in ripping woods and the classic NE bump runs that you don't really have out west.

Granted the last couple of seasons have been super variable and the stretches of when skiing is good have not been super long, and so a lot more groomer skiing than I'd like.