Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Mailer posted:

The main thing is that there's no replacement for ZL, which is always the case when you need shield immunity.

Note also that Layla is probably the best replacement for ZL, with Diona getting an honorable mention for also covering heals.

Neither of them actually shield as well as ZL, but if you need a cope shielder in general (I don't have Xiao specifically) they'll typically do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Captain France posted:

Note also that Layla is probably the best replacement for ZL, with Diona getting an honorable mention for also covering heals.

Kirara is technically the second best shielder (ignoring enemy-specific elemental benefits) but it's a steep drop after geodaddy. ZL's 20s duration is already leaving 2-3 seconds at the end of Xiao's burst and that's a wide enough window to get destroyed.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Space Opera posted:

I just don't see spending 1-2 days a week on purples that will be eventually mulched into golds as a waste.
There are definitely arguments to be made for getting "a" 4piece of certain sets like deepwood, noblesse, viridescent, emblem, etc as early as possible if your team needs them, specifically because their 4piece bonus is so strong.

But the point of the usual advice is that aside from those outliers, the generic artifacts you get from bosses that you'll be doing anyway to level & ascend your characters are good enough until you can guarantee 5* artifacts, that your resources are better off being spent on leveling characters, leveling their weapons, and leveling their talents first. If you've done all of that as much as you can already, and still feel resin burning a hole in your pocket, by all means spend it on artifacts you're guaranteed to mulch in a handful of levels instead of stockpiling mora and xp sheets.

All of this is sweaty optimization minmaxing of the incredibly lovely anti-fun gated resource system which is one of the worst parts of the game anyway. That it's directly tied to another of the worst parts of the game (artifact RNG) is just icing on the cake.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Been trying out diluc/xianyun/gaming/furina and its a lot of fun, definitely recommend

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How is the lantern rite stuff this year? I’ve been burning out and kind of unhappy with my time spent on the game so haven’t checked it out yet. Something to mash through text again, or a good story?

I’ve basically burned out and not playing every year by the time lantern rite arrives so my only point of reference was the very first one, which was tedious af iirc since you basically just did chores for every single person in Liyue.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

rio posted:

How is the lantern rite stuff this year? I’ve been burning out and kind of unhappy with my time spent on the game so haven’t checked it out yet. Something to mash through text again, or a good story?

I’ve basically burned out and not playing every year by the time lantern rite arrives so my only point of reference was the very first one, which was tedious af iirc since you basically just did chores for every single person in Liyue.
The multiplayer mode is awful to play (collect coins and get bounced losing some! stand on a target point and get bounced losing some! repeat!) but easy to get maxed rewards on, the Guoba puzzle is weird to understand but fun in practice. The quests are as :words: as ever. I think there's a third minigame that isn't unlocked until tomorrow?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I went on the internet, and I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPgcGK_qNs0

Kale
May 14, 2010

Get back from epic vacation in Key West. Decide to go ahead and cash some tokens and saved up stock of primos above 40K and within at least 20 pity (not sure yet because history hasn't updated quite yet). Other than feeling like poo poo from too much travel and eating too much life's good right now. I like how they had her give a big speech on the splash art screen, don't think this games done that yet. Her JP voice is very stereotypical anime mom.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

Get back from epic vacation in Key West. Decide to go ahead and cash some tokens and saved up stock of primos above 40K and within at least 20 pity (not sure yet because history hasn't updated quite yet). Other than feeling like poo poo from too much travel and eating too much life's good right now. I like how they had her give a big speech on the splash art screen, don't think this games done that yet. Her JP voice is very stereotypical anime mom.
I think all characters say their "introduction" voice line the first time you get them now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Got my Nahida :getin:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The multiplayer mode is awful to play (collect coins and get bounced losing some! stand on a target point and get bounced losing some! repeat!) but easy to get maxed rewards on, the Guoba puzzle is weird to understand but fun in practice. The quests are as :words: as ever. I think there's a third minigame that isn't unlocked until tomorrow?

Good to know - thanks. I’ll get to it eventually then and plan on having something to do while mashing text.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The correct way to play bumper cars coin collecting mode is not to bump anyone until the very last moment during a zone closure, at which point you become Head Bastard and knock anyone close out of the safe zone.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I wish one of the bumper car modes was cooperative, and instead of knocking people over and making them lose points, you'd knock into them to boost them into the air to get coins you otherwise couldn't reach. Then you and the player you knocked into would both be awarded those points.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I just wish they didn't have multiplayer modes where inevitably 1-3 of the other people make the game either fail to start or do bizarre teleporting poo poo once it does start because I'm playing on my desktop against someone on an old phone inside a Faraday cage

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
CRs movement skill is really growing on me. Thought it was a bit fidly at first, but it's absolutely not, it's flexible and awesome. You can even dash between charges, covering a huge distance. I'm considering switching my hopeless pulling for C1 Nahida to C1 CR, for the second charge.

Also she heals and swirls and makes you glide faster and stuff I guess.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It's great. You can yeet yourself up cliffs too, to save a lot of climbing time and energy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's legitimately good because a lot of terrain in the game isnt flat so sayu got stuck a lot. And it's also just cool because it feels like theres nuance to exactly when to press E. I think they did a wonderful job with the character in general and loved the SQ ending where she applied powder to herself as a bird.

Using Xianyun as the plunger with bennett isnt as bad as it sounds either because she gets the atk buff on herself as well as her own buff. Will put a full maruchessee set on her to see how it benchmarks.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So out of curiosity I looked up Cloud Retainer's VA expecting to see a long list of credits in the vein of someone like Kotono Mituishi or Kikoku Inoue and instead it's this pretty new VA with like 2 supporting credits and this probably being her biggest role to date. Weird cause I thought it was one of those 50-60 year old been acting in anime since the 80's/early 90's type VA's. For reference to those who don't know VA's or play in English anyway, Kikoku Inoue is the one that does Alice's (definitely not a forgotten character) voice in Japanese.

Finally caught her trailer now. Fairly humorous, but definitely not among the more visually creative, especially compared to what HSR has been doing of late. It feels like a Fu Hua trailer with the martial arts showcase honestly. Treasure Hunters still the official jobber enemies along with Abyss mages, but the whole organization literally seems basically built to job to the Liyue cultivator characters in their trailers.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 7, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its the same VA as the bird right? I dont think anyone expected a bird to become this popular back in 1.0.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

No Wave posted:

It's legitimately good because a lot of terrain in the game isnt flat so sayu got stuck a lot. And it's also just cool because it feels like theres nuance to exactly when to press E. I think they did a wonderful job with the character in general and loved the SQ ending where she applied powder to herself as a bird.
Her aerial maneuverability is also quite nice, and the CD reduction if you don't plunge is just there for QoL and they didn't have to do that. It actually minimizes the need to pull for C1 just for mobility purposes, as you don't have to wait very long if you don't plunge, while making C1 a lot better if you do go for it because then you're basically never on CD as long as you don't plunge.

That said, you can plunge even a few seconds after landing from a hop, so you have to be careful with that.

Kale posted:

So out of curiosity I looked up Cloud Retainer's VA expecting to see a long list of credits in the vein of someone like Kotono Mituishi or Kikoku Inoue and instead it's this pretty new VA with like 2 supporting credits and this probably being her biggest role to date. Weird cause I thought it was one of those 50-60 year old been acting in anime since the 80's/early 90's type VA's. For reference to those who don't know VA's or play in English anyway, Kikoku Inoue is the one that does Alice's (definitely not a forgotten character) voice in Japanese.
I don't think Cloud Retainer was originally intended to be a very important character. They added some goofy characterization to her and she got more popular and once they decided to make her playable they just kinda rolled with it. It would be stranger to replace her VA, so some minor character actor got a relatively big break as these things go.

EDIT: Basically the instant they revealed Hot Human Cloud Retainer and Ping they guaranteed we'd be getting them at some point because you don't do that and not follow through.

EDIT EDIT: Unless it's Zhongli, then you give him half a dozen badass costumes and give us none of them.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 7, 2024

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

Its the same VA as the bird right? I dont think anyone expected a bird to become this popular back in 1.0.

Yeah I don't think so either, but people clearly loved her whole aloof tsundere character and relationship with and stories about Ganyu and Shenhe. Like there was just enough memeability around the character even as a bird that they kind of figured they had to make her playable and turn her into a hot mommy type human design for it cause let's be honest a Madam Ping type look wasn't gonna cut it for gacha. If Ping ever gets a playable form it'll be her younger look too for sure. Anyway it looks like it was the right choice financially based on first week revenue estimates. Granted she shares a banner with Nahida and one of her best support characters and they're exploiting Lunar New Year to market her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkX9R-0jOpc

And yeah same VA as bird form in 1.0, but I think they were using a voice modulator to make her voice sound deeper and more inhuman. Comparison video above.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Cloud Retainer still has the same VA they just didn't run her lines through the filter they used for her bird form.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drat, they ordered a huge bowl of congee

Kale
May 14, 2010

Just finished Wriothesley's Story Quest finally after getting back and while the story for it was okay (basically busting a Milgrim experiment and human trafficking ring in the basement. Also loved the cutscene where he chokes slams the dude to Ashita no Joe like music), the way it was implemented was as bad as anything else in the Fortress zone. It's like that area is everything that everybody usually complains about with this games pacing and dialogue trees kind of distilled. Just LOTS of waiting around, go here, go there, navigate this zone, wait till this time, go find Wriothesley (still a cool customer, much different from what I had expected when his prototype design was leaked), follow him around as he walks super slow looking for clues, chase a guy down and the game bugs out somehow so I have to repeat the whole segment again. Meropide was just brutal man, like it's normally not that bad for me and I'm the guy here poking fun at people having trouble with reading and what not, but for me it's 100% the layout of the fortress itself, and the waiting and running around taking elevators and then retracting my steps and nothing interesting, funny or cool happening during all of that. There's a lot of padding in this game at times, but usually it's better hidden behind either something funny happening, something cool happening, or some sort of lore or character revelation. Also it had a lot more typos and just some of that weird machine translated feeling dialogue than usual.

Unfortunately given the nature of the character as the warden, Wriothesley's whole quest is stuck in Meropide and subject to the same mechanics as Acts 3 & 4. Meropide's part of the Archon quest could have easily been just one act and it wouldn't have changed anything most likely. Just combine the part where Neuv sends you there to spy on things and cut that whole part where you're going between the production zone working, the cafeteria eating, and just all the poo poo that didn't loving matter to one cycle and then have it go to the part where he takes you and Clorinde to the secret area with the sluice gate holding back the primordial water. Done, plenty of material to fill out an act and leave room to explore something else with the other act in 4.1.

We'll see if Neuvillete's is a little better in a while, not doing his quite yet. I should have to come back to Meropide one more time to collect some missing treasure in the one area with the gear doors when the time finally comes to figure out how that puzzle works and clean out the treasure in Fontaine with the help of a video guide, but that's not gonna be for another month or two I imagine. Still a little bit of 4.1 content and all of 4.2 including the much hyped Masquerade of the Guilty Archon Quest to get through, which should prove a big contrast to Act 3&4.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Also exploring the Fontaine Research Institute area now and those Fatui House of The Hearth operatives are tanky as gently caress. All the female elite enemies in this game feel tanky as gently caress well beyond not only what you would expect, but just in general compared to other enemies to be honest. I think the only real exception are those axe wielding eremite ones and the cicin mages.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They have decent HP, but their resistance to CC is almost nonexistent. They can be knocked down, pulled, juggled, and interrupted really easily. I'm sure it's totally a coincidence that they first appeared in 4.1 and that was the Venti rerun patch.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Yucky, my options for Lantern Rite are a C1 Beidou, C3 XQ, and a C6 Gaming.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
xq and gaming are both great choices

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Leraika posted:

xq and gaming are both great choices
Yeah I'm using Beidou right now but she's at companionship lvl 9 and I usually swap people out once they hit 10 so she's off the table unless she's on next banner when I'm pulling for Kazuha.

Gaming/XQ/CR is probably going to be my next team and in the short term a C6 Gaming seems more useful than a C3 XQ but in the long run, more constellations on XQ is always better because he fits into any team that needs hydro. At least I've got a Yelan too though.

I have a C6 Noelle now too, is she alright with Navia? I'm running Ning with her right now at C2/Dragon Slayer so she's buffing Navia pretty alright

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 8, 2024

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Navia and Noelle are not a great match, as they're both on-field geo. You could potentially use Navia to try and battery Noelle, and use the fact that Noelle doesn't lose her infusion to quickswap between them, but the energy requirements would be tough to meet.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
On the other hand, you could have noelle wandering around with a huge glowing sword while artillery falls around her.

Like, once every ten minutes unless you find someone to feed them juice.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Geo just really sucks on its own doesn't it

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fav Noelle can self-battery assuming youre running her with Furina and Marechausse for 100% Crit chance

is it going to be the best team? no

is it going to be fancy ladies beating baddies up with large swords, gunbrellas and wet rocks? yes!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Beidou doesn't really "pop" until she hits C2. I think all 3 of those are good choices. I'd choose Gaming if you like him, or Xingqiu, since he's used in an absolute boatload of teams and his constellations are great.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I don't have Xinyan or Yun Jin, is it worth grabbing either if I have no plans to run them anytime soon? I've got C4 Xiangling so I think I'm going to wait til I'm done pulling on the banner and either try to finish off Gaming since I want to try him out, or put it into Xingqiu since I'm running him now and he's only C0. Yaoyao is C5, everyone else including Beidou is C0.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Unless you decide to start using them, go with which ever you think you'll use. As always, go for what you like. If not, get either the Xiangling or Xingqiu con.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yunjin can be good but is niche, though she doesn't have her main utility locked behind high Cons. Xinyan definitely should be skipped unless you really like her or are aiming for completion.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Speaking of characters I really like who aren't exactly the best, the combination of running around Chenyu Vale with her, not having anything better to pick for Lantern Rite than her C6, and noticing that her ascension stat is pyro damage percent has got me deciding to bump Yanfei up from 70/70 to 80/90, and I just want to say that I appreciate how much closer to teleporters they put bosses now.

Holy poo poo it took me so long to actually find the Primo Geovishap again, and Cloud Retainer drowned in the process.

Also Yanfei is fun, she has range and shouts lawyer things and the shield is convenient and her plunge is good if you have Cloud Retainer.
It probably also helps that a single 10-pull on the weapon banner for, I wanna say it was a bow for Fischl, got me Nuevilette's weapon. I do not have the Hydro Dragon, but with Furina on the team his book is pretty much best in slot for Yanfei, too.

Xinyan is also very cool, but she caps out at either one of the best physical carries in the game (all of them suck), a pretty good support for a physical carry who can be a combination of battery, burst-sub dps, and shielder (but she can't do all of them well at once, and all physical carries suck), or a Bennett Circle Impact Pyro carry that did better than Dehya in a video I saw once, but also Bennett Circle Impact Pyro carry, and Xiangling, Hu Tao, Lyney, Diluc, and Yanfei all exist and don't need to play so much circle impact, and come to think of it, any Bennett Circle Impact Pyro carry also has the issue that Bennett can do that job pretty well himself.

So, like. In terms of "choosing someone useful," yeah. Probably skip her.
(In terms of "picking someone cool, though, "she shouts "shred 'til I'm dead" while she strums her guitar to create a shockwave and a burst of fire, that she claims in the description isn't actually from her Vision, that just happens because she's so cool.)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 8, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yanfei has an incredibly smooth animation for her attacks which makes me wonder why characters like Ningguang and Klee feel so much clunkier by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

Yanfei has an incredibly smooth animation for her attacks which makes me wonder why characters like Ningguang and Klee feel so much clunkier by comparison.
The 1.0 Curse.