Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I like Ed Gamble so maybe I'll take an ed gamble on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
TOC update. Starts the 18th of Feb

Also, counting the lineup, East Coast is indeed 1 chef short, so that's likely gonna be an awkward edit

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

bunnyofdoom posted:

TOC update. Starts the 18th of Feb

Also, counting the lineup, East Coast is indeed 1 chef short, so that's likely gonna be an awkward edit

Rooting for a Tobias/Jet finals.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'd be more interested in ans Eric/Jet show down. Either way tho I wanna see Jet in the finals.

Edit: that being said, Shola also would be awesome

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Eric always comes across as so serious, so it’s always nice when he breaks into a smile or is a little goofy.

Alex was the same way for years on Chopped, like she’d heard of humour, but it wasn’t a thing she personally enjoyed. Since then she’s humanised a lot more and subsequently become one of my favourite people on FN. :allears:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ive been watching food network stuff on hbo max and put good eats on while i had dinner. i picked an episode from the reboot 5 years ago and it was sourdough.

well, the conceit of the episode was Alton was stuck indoors because of a pandemic and its aftermath, so let's make sourdough. this was from 2019...alton brown confirmed as an illuminati guy

also, hell yeah more TOC

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

ive been watching food network stuff on hbo max and put good eats on while i had dinner. i picked an episode from the reboot 5 years ago and it was sourdough.

well, the conceit of the episode was Alton was stuck indoors because of a pandemic and its aftermath, so let's make sourdough. this was from 2019...alton brown confirmed as an illuminati guy

also, hell yeah more TOC

Yeah that was weird as hell.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The ladies :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/TXE7Ymf.mp4

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

lol they sound like they're straight out of a roald dahl book

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bad form. She didn't flourish the pinky whilst grating the cheese.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's the Two Fat Ladies. They're old and conservative, and have a huge gay following.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ethan Chlebowski continues to make food videos that are, like, actually useful.

https://youtu.be/0YY7K7Xa5rE

tldr “ethical” eggs taste pretty much the same as regular eggs, but they have a much richer yolk color and that might really influence your perception of taste

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Same as Kenji’s conclusion from like 10 years ago. https://www.seriouseats.com/what-are-the-best-eggs Weirdly, I can’t find the original date for this one since Serious Eats got bought out and removed/hid the comments section and all

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Same as Kenji’s conclusion from like 10 years ago. https://www.seriouseats.com/what-are-the-best-eggs Weirdly, I can’t find the original date for this one since Serious Eats got bought out and removed/hid the comments section and all
It appears to be from August 27, 2010

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Vegetable posted:

Ethan Chlebowski continues to make food videos that are, like, actually useful.

https://youtu.be/0YY7K7Xa5rE

tldr “ethical” eggs taste pretty much the same as regular eggs, but they have a much richer yolk color and that might really influence your perception of taste

Do they still just require like a ten square foot fenced outside area attached to the gross building they're in?

That free range poo poo was a scam.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wonder if it’s the feed that makes the yolk a different color? Like you said, the actual conditions don’t seem much different.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s 100% diet. Carotenoids cause orange yolks. Free range chickens are more likely to eat food that has them. You can make orange yolks through factory farming but most places are too cheap to source ingredients that would result in orange yolks

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Grem posted:

Do they still just require like a ten square foot fenced outside area attached to the gross building they're in?

That free range poo poo was a scam.
Yeah, pretty much.

Eater has a pretty good breakdown of what terms actually mean:
https://www.eater.com/2019/7/17/20696498/whats-the-difference-cage-free-free-range-pasture-raised-eggs

quote:

Cage-free, a term regulated by the USDA, means that the eggs come from hens that, put simply, aren’t caged: They can “freely roam a building, room, or enclosed area with unlimited access to food and fresh water during their production cycle, but [do] not have access to the outdoors.” Considering the conventional cage is 8 ½ by 11 inches, or the size of a piece of paper, this seems like a better lifestyle — but there are downsides, too. According to All About Eggs by Rachel Khong, cage-free facilities have more hen-on-hen violence and lower air quality than facilities that use cages.

Free-range, another USDA term, means that the eggs come from hens that have some sort of access to the outdoors. However, it doesn’t mean that the hens actually go outdoors, or that the outdoor space is more than a small, fenced-in area; it simply implies that a door exists that a farmer could at some point open.

Pasture-raised is not a term regulated by the USDA; however, if the carton says “pasture-raised” and also includes stamps that say “Certified Humane” and/or “Animal Welfare Approved,” it means that each hen was given 108 square feet of outdoor space, as well as barn space indoors. This is pretty much as close to the bucolic, E-I-E-O farm vibe you’ll get when dealing with large-scale egg producers, so if you’re looking to support those practices, keep a look out for those labels.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i went looking to see if there were any "big" brands selling eggs from hens that are treated fairly well, and costco's organic offering is apparently humane. huh! plenty of others, too.

https://certifiedhumane.org/decoding-carton-buy-clean-humane-eggs/

i had to write about the poultry cullings at egg layer facilities in rural iowa during the bird flu epidemic in 2014 (iirc) and that poo poo was harrowing, and being exposed to CAFO life in a place that is basically one big confined animal feeding operation

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Eat This Glob posted:

i went looking to see if there were any "big" brands selling eggs from hens that are treated fairly well, and costco's organic offering is apparently humane. huh! plenty of others, too.

https://certifiedhumane.org/decoding-carton-buy-clean-humane-eggs/

i had to write about the poultry cullings at egg layer facilities in rural iowa during the bird flu epidemic in 2014 (iirc) and that poo poo was harrowing, and being exposed to CAFO life in a place that is basically one big confined animal feeding operation

yeah you can get vital farms at walmart (though 3x the price of generic large eggs) and i was kinda surprised by how nice the actual conditions are. i'm sure it's not perfect but they do involve chickens walking around, on pastures, outdoors, with > 100sqft per chicken, which is better than 99% of all alternatives out there

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 5, 2024

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

It’s 100% diet. Carotenoids cause orange yolks. Free range chickens are more likely to eat food that has them. You can make orange yolks through factory farming but most places are too cheap to source ingredients that would result in orange yolks

In Japan, orange yolks are their equivalent of white shells in the US (only has aesthetic value, but it still has taken over preceptions of what good eggs are). So you can find YouTube videos and poo poo that include "Just look at how much better eggs in Japan are than in the US!"

mystes
May 31, 2006

People think eggs with white shells are better?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

We're getting eight episodes of Somebody Please Feed That Smiling Man on March 1st:

Mumbai
Washington D.C.
Kyoto
Iceland
Dubai
The REAL Orlando
Taipei
Scotland

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Real Orlando, slightly to the NE of the other Orlando.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

captkirk posted:

In Japan, orange yolks are their equivalent of white shells in the US (only has aesthetic value, but it still has taken over preceptions of what good eggs are). So you can find YouTube videos and poo poo that include "Just look at how much better eggs in Japan are than in the US!"
Visuals are a huge part of taste and blind taste tests are so unrealistic they might as well be useless. Can’t tell my brain that a pale rear end yolk is better than an orange yolk.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7332604564857982254

Yeasted mash potato, from a concept by Wylie Dufresne

I didn’t know Sohla’s husband worked for him

What happened to that guy anyways, didn’t he close his restaurant

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

mystes posted:

This is the thing that gets me. White shells look fake and weird and unnatural. Like I get that they're not but it's bizarre that it's prized.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mystes posted:

Less so in the recent decade. But there's a (marketing) reason all supermarket eggs were white in the 90s.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It's totally flipped where I am and brown eggs that are otherwise identical will sell for a small premium. I definitely remember when I was a kid white eggs were considered better.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess it might be regional? I think brown eggs might be more common in new england for some reason.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
Top Chef Season 21 trailer is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdXcm3j3Qs

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

working on "alex vs america" at the moment and guarnaschelli lopped the tip of her finger off on a mandolin. having done the deed myself, i always pucker up when competition cooks are flying with radishes or whatever, but to see an iron chef guillotine the tip of a digit - yowza. wasn't expecting that!

the following episode, she had the fingat all wrapped up, so she finished the shoot for the day. friggin' trooper!

And top chef in wisconsin? be still my fluttering midwest heart! i hope kish kills it

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

TOC prelims started tonight and it showed they haven't fully memory holed Darnell. It would have been a ten second cut to remove him but they still showed him

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Eat This Glob posted:

working on "alex vs america" at the moment and guarnaschelli lopped the tip of her finger off on a mandolin. having done the deed myself, i always pucker up when competition cooks are flying with radishes or whatever, but to see an iron chef guillotine the tip of a digit - yowza. wasn't expecting that!

One time on Guy's Grocery Games Robert Irvine slashed his finger and the medic was taking too long so he just wrapped it up in electrical tape

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

bunnyofdoom posted:

TOC prelims started tonight and it showed they haven't fully memory holed Darnell. It would have been a ten second cut to remove him but they still showed him

I mean, if he's a competitor this ToC, it would be really hard to memory hole him.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Read elsewhere they are mixing it up a bit this year… quickfires will give cash or prizes, not immunity. Winning the main challenge gives immunity instead.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Melomane Mallet posted:

I mean, if he's a competitor this ToC, it would be really hard to memory hole him.

Yes but the press announcement of the contestants this year didn't mention him going as far as to have it so that the east bracket had one less chef.

Now what I was talking about is they showed him in flashbacks winning previous TOC rounds which they coulda easily cut

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes but the press announcement of the contestants this year didn't mention him going as far as to have it so that the east bracket had one less chef.

Now what I was talking about is they showed him in flashbacks winning previous TOC rounds which they coulda easily cut

Since the clips they showed were about Cinderella stories, I don't think you could wholly cut him out given Darnell was the Cinderella of ToC 1/2. But given it was only 10 seconds, they might have thought it also wasn't worth editing out. That's my best guess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is Tournament of Champions good? We are jonesin for some reality cooking shows besides Top Chef and Bake Off which are only like 20 weeks total each year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

smackfu posted:

Is Tournament of Champions good? We are jonesin for some reality cooking shows besides Top Chef and Bake Off which are only like 20 weeks total each year.
My wife and I enjoy it and it has a ton of Top Chef Alum.