Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Sun Life? More like

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/yyzsportsmedia/status/1755419197377499143

#BellLetsTalkAboutYourSeverancePackage

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
praying for you, jonah from chicago

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
raisin the dead since 2024

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Sun Life? More like

:eyepop:

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
drat, jesse brown is a goddamn racist lib dumbass. Crazy how the world turns, sun rises and sets.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sun Life? More like

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Jesse Brown probably never stopped admiring Gavin Mcinness.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Jesse Brown is probably angling for a seat on some shithouse political panel show on CBC or CTV or whatever the gently caress

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm Jesse Brown the host of KKKanadaland.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

COPE 27 posted:

I can't wait for Jesse's hour long monologue about how this hurt his feelings

Jesse Brown posted:

And invitations for Nazis, cancellations for Jews - we analyze the shameful takedown of NDP MLA Selina Robinson and try to figure out where exactly the line for cancellable offenses is.

Lol

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

This is it for me. i don’t hear any insightful analysis and the odd interesting news story filters into my attention without having to listen to this crap.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

, lmao

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sun Life? More like

lol

yippee cahier posted:

This is it for me. i don’t hear any insightful analysis and the odd interesting news story filters into my attention without having to listen to this crap.

once someone starts whining about getting canceled when they get criticized you know it's all over. he must have lost a lot of loving subs over this.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol
he must have lost a lot of loving subs over this.

they did. he complained about it in his "is Jesse a zionist?!" episode (the one in which he didn't address whether or not he was a zionist for 40 minutes).

it's funny too, Canadaland switched to a worker-owned model. so does everybody get a voice in what Jesse gets to say on the air? My understanding is he still the majority owner even under that model.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Karach posted:

they did. he complained about it in his "is Jesse a zionist?!" episode (the one in which he didn't address whether or not he was a zionist for 40 minutes).

it's funny too, Canadaland switched to a worker-owned model. so does everybody get a voice in what Jesse gets to say on the air? My understanding is he still the majority owner even under that model.

didn't know that, interesting

i'd love to be a fly on the wall during their staff meetings

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
it would be funny if he got run out of his own company

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

I know nothing about podcast people as I ain't got time for that, but my take is this guy is a real piece of poo poo.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Arc Hammer posted:

The NDP will shake their fists and threaten to pull out from the supply & confidence agreement like they've done every single time the feds have failed to meet the promises they sold to the dippers, and like every other time the ndp will quietly drop their voices and go sulk because they're bankrupt and can't survive a snap election that could happen if they pull support. So no pharmacare, no dental care and a rollout timeline that conveniently dovetails into campaign promoses territory where the feds can abandon their partnership.

Which is why it borders on criminal negligence that they didn't make the first clause of the supply and confidence agreement a return of the per vote subsidy, so they wouldn't be bankrupt and could survive a snap election.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://globalnews.ca/news/10280833/bell-layoffs-january-2024/

Bell slashes 4800 jobs, sells 45 radio stations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i really hate that loving company

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Nice little article summarizing my feelings about Canadaland:

https://www.readthemaple.com/canadaland-staff-promised-to-win-back-my-trust-theyve-failed/

quote:

For what it’s worth, and to ensure I gave Canadaland and its staffers as much of a fair assessment as possible, I read and listened to everything they put out on Palestine or matters connected to it in English since October 7, meaning several hours of listening to Jesse Brown yap at 1.75 speed.

It’s not that Canadaland has failed to publish anything of value since then, as some of these episodes were well done. The issue is more so that the majority of what has been released is unremarkable, making it easy for Brown’s antics — such as his focus on Toronto Star journalist Shree Paradkar and commenting “Jewish-owned bookstore vandalized” in response to Indigo being protested due to its owner’s creation of a program to support “lone soldiers” to Israel — to outshine this work. Canadaland has yet to put out a single podcast episode or article that has significantly advanced the narrative on, or an understanding of, media coverage of Israel’s genocide in Gaza (for me, at least).

Much of the discussion on the matter in the public realm has put the blame for the past few months at Canadaland solely on Brown, as if the publication doesn’t have 24 other people currently listed as staff members, including various editors, producers and podcast hosts. The Canadaland union statement itself did this, to an extent, stating that “Jesse’s outsized voice and comments have often overshadowed much of our other work.”

However, they added, “The opinions of Jesse Brown do not limit or determine the extent of our own coverage.” Taking them at their word, why hasn’t a single article about the topic not written by Brown since October 7 been published? Why has a greater percent of the episodes related to Palestine released since their statement been from, or featured, Brown, than before the statement? Rather than winning back my trust since that statement was released in response to Brown’s actions, it appears as if staffers have mostly ceded the floor to him.

And one of the two episodes put out since the statement where another employee mostly took charge was perhaps the most disappointing they’ve released since October 7. A January 8 episode featured two interviews conducted by Canadaland’s editor about the “tremendous difficulty” for journalists in covering what they called “the war with Israel and Palestine.” The fact that Israel has killed a record-number of journalists since October 7 took up about five seconds of discussion in a 40-minute episode, with the guest who brought it up just offering a number of reporters killed without saying where they were killed or who killed them. (Israel has killed at least 122 journalists and media workers in Gaza since October 7. Here are some of their names and stories.) For comparison, one of the guests and the host spent more time joking about how scared they were to check Twitter after the episode was released.

Mastracci makes an interesting observation about the employee union: they did, in fact, put out that statement about Jesse's "outsized voice," and then proceeded to let that outsize voice shout everyone else down. So whose views is the company representing? Do the majority of the workers there actually have a standard-issue lib-centrist Canadian worldview? If they can't articulate what they actually believe, as so many Canadians can't, it probably makes it difficult for them to oppose what Jesse says.

I've gotten into agonizing debates with people over October 7th because their worldview amounts to "killing is bad in all circumstances, full stop, so Hamas is evil!" When confronted with the question of what exactly Hamas is supposed to do to liberate themselves from the concentration camp that even libs will acknowledge they live in, all those libs can say is "well, they should protest better." When you point out that you can't successfully react to violence with non-violence, or when you pull up that Gene Sharp history about the anticommunist origins of the non-violence movement, they have nothing to say (or simply reiterate their moral outrage). To actually think about where one's beliefs come from, and whether they're substantiated, seems to involve physical agony for these people.

Karach has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Feb 8, 2024

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The Backbench has been much better about Gaza but maybe they only looked at the main Canadaland feed (which I dropped after Jesse’s weakass sympathy for the Zionist thing).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Karach posted:

I've gotten into agonizing debates with people over October 7th because their worldview amounts to "killing is bad in all circumstances, full stop, so Hamas is evil!" When confronted with the question of what exactly Hamas is supposed to do to liberate themselves from the concentration camp that even libs will acknowledge they live in, all those libs can say is "well, they should protest better." When you point out that you can't successfully react to violence with non-violence, or when you pull up that Gene Sharp history about the anticommunist origins of the non-violence movement, they have nothing to say (or simply reiterate their moral outrage). To actually think about where one's beliefs come from, and whether they're substantiated, seems to involve physical agony for these people.

This happens to me a lot and I feel like being a middle class Canadian liberal involves just kind of willing away any troubling thoughts

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Karach posted:

Nice little article summarizing my feelings about Canadaland:

https://www.readthemaple.com/canadaland-staff-promised-to-win-back-my-trust-theyve-failed/

Mastracci makes an interesting observation about the employee union: they did, in fact, put out that statement about Jesse's "outsized voice," and then proceeded to let that outsize voice shout everyone else down. So whose views is the company representing? Do the majority of the workers there actually have a standard-issue lib-centrist Canadian worldview? If they can't articulate what they actually believe, as so many Canadians can't, it probably makes it difficult for them to oppose what Jesse says.

Yeah it's a good read. They also had one a couple months back about how they'll never give the NDP a platform again which was nice to see. The Maple is pretty good which can only mean that in a couple weeks Mastracci will be revealed to be a hardcore Québecois ethnonationalist or something equally absurd, as is the custom with Canadian political pundits

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

radio and podcasts both suck poo poo and i hope they all die

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
middle class libs have never known struggle, never known unmet needs, and have no idea how to react. um ,just follow the rules okay??

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RealityWarCriminal posted:

middle class libs have never known struggle, never known unmet needs, and have no idea how to react. um ,just follow the rules okay??

You say that, but if housing prices place their HELOC-based finances in danger, they may be the vanguard class.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

CLAM DOWN posted:

radio and podcasts both suck poo poo and i hope they all die

some podcasts are good and make you laugh and think. Listening to them beats talking about golf and trucks and HELOCs with, uh, everybosy I guess

Frosted Flake posted:

This happens to me a lot and I feel like being a middle class Canadian liberal involves just kind of willing away any troubling thoughts

This is where I'm at. I'm having a very delicate back and forth with somebody right now. I feel like they're on the verge of looking inside themselves. If it happens it will be like watching a new universe being born

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Karach posted:

some podcasts are good and make you laugh and think.

nothing on the internet will ever make me think and you can't make me

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The age of hyper local microblogs has begun.

Become a patron via patreon today.

livewire is pretty good for calgary

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂÂĂŒÂĂŒÂ° ĂÂ“ĂŒÂ¯ĂŒÂ–ĂŒÂ«ĂŒÂ¹ĂŒÂ¯ĂŒÂ¤A҉mĂÂĂŒÂºĂŒÂ© ĂÂ‡ĂŒÂ¬AĂŒÂ¡ĂŒÂ®ĂŒÂĂŒÂ ĂÂĂÂ‰ĂŒÂ±ĂŒÂ« KĂŒÂ¶eĂ“gĂÂ.ĂŒÂ•ĂŒÂ»ĂŒÂ±ĂŒÂªĂÂ–ĂŒÂ¹ĂŒÂŸ
big fan of reading tweets by crackmacs, the account that blocks you if you ask them why they're named that

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

All the newspapers are dead or owned by the one of three billionaire clans and local news/radio is completely compromised but at least there's fifty thousand unread substacks and podcasts to keep you informed

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

big fan of reading tweets by crackmacs, the account that blocks you if you ask them why they're named that

They are just CM calgary now, but you still get blocked if you ask what the CM stands for

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Feb 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
News at Noon and weekend editions are dead, and also W5 was specifically singled out to get nuked.

https://twitter.com/yyzsportsmedia/status/1755626467810005288?t=swx65N7W1lnpU7AIhFK7yw&s=19

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

apatheticman posted:

They are just CM calgary now, but you still get blocked if you ask what the CM stands for

lol at the thought that future media will be going the same branding route as Aunt Jemima > Pearl Milling pancake mix

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

“but how did the now nationally ubiquitous media empire CMax acquire its brand name? the question is met by silence from its elderly founders. A spokesperson told us that it simply stands for the high energy experience that is being Canadian, to the max.”

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Frosted Flake posted:

You say that, but if housing prices place their HELOC-based finances in danger, they may be the vanguard class.

The legislators will never risk their own livelihoods, for they too are the HELOC class.

The interest rate hasn't even gone down yet, but the whispers of it happening in the nebulous future have already shot up housing sales lmaooo *wolf howl*

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Jesse Brown is probably angling for a seat on some shithouse political panel show on CBC or CTV or whatever the gently caress

Too bad for Jesse that CTV is going to end all those political panel shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

"We can cut CBC funding because CBC is no longer needed because the Free Market is better able to provide TV content to Canadians."

*CTV guts news content across the board*