Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Will you keep my potentially life-ruining injury secret?"

>Yes

>Yes (disapproving face)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stux posted:

oh, and btw kaz slink is easily better than any link in 5.

I generally agree about this, the S-links in 5 are all boring. All the non-party ones are seriously harmed by the fact that they're all forced to lead up to the reveal of a villain to defeat in Mementos (and the party ones aren't exactly interesting either; the only ones that are any good are Ryuji's and maybe Yusuke's).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*boldly* no persona game has particularly good slinks compared to like literally any VN

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Arist posted:

"Will you keep my potentially life-ruining injury secret?"

>Yes

>Yes (disapproving face)

so now you want the sociopath options? make your mind up

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

*smug, arms folded* seems to me that the greatest slinks are the ones you form in real life

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

*boldly* no persona game has particularly good slinks compared to like literally any VN

gross

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Picking the bad min-max social link options but shaking my head the whole time to let everyone know i disagree with them

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm playing the game with zero guides and just kind of winging it, good fun so far. Money seems kinda tight but also I'm not really grinding at all.

Honestly vibe with this protag more than I expected: six days of exams finally in the rearview mirror? Time to waste all day Sunday playing GuildWars and then go get a hamburger for dinner. Live your best life.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
a game aping Persona or the next Persona game should make the player character a therapist or someone studying to want to help people as the reason for the Social Links, and reward you for saying what someone needs to hear

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I don't buy this at all when you don't get inconvenienced at all at any point in the game. You never have to prove yourself in a non generic stat way that has anything to do with your reputation in the narrative.

Literally your entire team other than fellow delinquent Ryuji Sakamoto start out as adversaries and/or blackmailers, and all the non-team confidants tell you to piss off when you first meet them; you have to stage a meat-cute to convince Yoshida you're a working man, do the whole calling card hack nonsense to get Shinya's attention, et cetera.

No one other than Ryuji wants anything to do with Joker before he goes out of his way to get their attention, or they find out he's a Phantom Thief. Well, also Sojiro, but he tries to pretend otherwise, and Kasumi seemed friendly enough even if it took shooing a harasser to get her confidant unlocked.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
that doesnt sound right but really its impossible to remember anything about joker due to him being a discount and less interesting version of p3mc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also pretty strongly implied that some if not all of your Confidants would have thrown you under the bus if they had figured out your identity earlier and the symbol of the unbreakable bond is them going "FYI, I figured out who you are and I'm sticking with you anyway."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Literally your entire team other than fellow delinquent Ryuji Sakamoto start out as adversaries and/or blackmailers, and all the non-team confidants tell you to piss off when you first meet them; you have to stage a meat-cute to convince Yoshida you're a working man, do the whole calling card hack nonsense to get Shinya's attention, et cetera.

No one other than Ryuji wants anything to do with Joker before he goes out of his way to get their attention, or they find out he's a Phantom Thief. Well, also Sojiro, but he tries to pretend otherwise, and Kasumi seemed friendly enough even if it took shooing a harasser to get her confidant unlocked.

doesn't hifumi's link start with you just happening to run into her and then play shogi?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

doesn't hifumi's link start with you just happening to run into her and then play shogi?

No, you need to have Charm level 3 and hear about her and someone goes "maybe she can teach us some tactics."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
thaht desont sound right either actually lol

i guess futaba tries blackmailing you, but instantly gives up on that and her approaching at all is a big thing for her. yusuke just wants to paint ann. ann doesnt really believe the rumors. makoto is you guys not trusting her due to her reputation. haru instantly loves everyone in the group with no questions asked.

for confidants uhh idk if chihaya had any reason she would do that if she worked it out earlier?? iwai isnt going to the cops for anything. ohya DEFInitely isnt. oda loves the thieves already anyway. takemi absoklutely isnt saying anything. idk feels like nonsense In My Onpinions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"My overflowing charm seems to have reached Hifumi!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Stux posted:

i guess futaba tries blackmailing you, but instantly gives up on that and her approaching at all is a big thing for her. yusuke just wants to paint ann. ann doesnt really believe the rumors. makoto is you guys not trusting her due to her reputation. haru instantly loves everyone in the group with no questions asked.

i believe you when you say you don't remember persona 5

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

If they wanted to be realistic they should have "telling kaz insane poo poo" result in a short-term gain, that later turns into a giant reversal when Kaz realizes that he has permanently crippled himself with your support

After he comes to terms with the consequences of his injury the answers that he wants to hear does actually change. During a sunday hangout after his rank 8 (maybe 7? don't remember) has him ask if you still think he can win the big meet with his injury, and the correct answer is to tell him that its impossible.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Arist posted:

i believe you when you say you don't remember persona 5

its very forgettable yeah

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ann tells you to stop looking into Kamoshida, Yusuke threatens to call the cops on you, Makoto threatens to reveal your identities, Haru goes gallivanting around the Metaverse with Morgana as rivals for a few days in a really lovely mini-arc...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Haru starts off only getting one side of the stupid second-act breakup plot which makes her hesitant to join the party, but she's perfectly cordial at school, never even hints at being willing to expose everybody's identities, and once the dumb confrontation with her fiance happens and the party reconciles she's 100% on team phantom thief.

Stux posted:

Yusuke threatens to report the group to the cops for trespassing unless he's allowed to paint Ann nude, which is uh... yeah. Makoto is also initially serious about exposing the group unless they help her out, it's just that circumstances contrive to change the calculus after Kaneshiro's threats.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
maderame threatnes to call the cops. yusuke just wants to paint ann and only gets annoyed after when youre poking around and accusing maderame. he "starts out" as persuing u guys lol the haru thing is 100% morgana NOT haru do NOT insult her like that. dont remember the other two things other than makoto walking aorund witha magazine so fair enough.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
really speaks to how dull and forgettable 5 is though, no?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Stux posted:

maderame threatnes to call the cops. yusuke just wants to paint ann and only gets annoyed after when youre poking around and accusing maderame.

No Yusuke also threatens to call the cops. He straight up says "let me do this or I'll report you all for trespassing." Later after the group uses the scenario as an excuse to break into the painting storehouse Madarame catches them all and then himself threatens to "press charges" against everybody, including Yusuke, overriding the original threat and pushing Yusuke onto team Phantom Thief.

Don't feel bad about being confused about this: this exact same plot is reused like 3-4 times across the various recruitments and it all starts to blend together.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stux posted:

maderame threatnes to call the cops. yusuke just wants to paint ann and only gets annoyed after when youre poking around and accusing maderame. he "starts out" as persuing u guys lol the haru thing is 100% morgana NOT haru do NOT insult her like that. dont remember the other two things other than makoto walking aorund witha magazine so fair enough.

no yusuke does threaten you first, and then madarame does it again afterward

makoto is actively attempting to narc on you to begin with and futaba also although that one is pretty half-hearted. the haru one is a huge stretch though, she goes along with morgana's petty "we're the better phantom thieves" thing for a couple of days and that's about it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i forgive yusuke. hes a good guy.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stux posted:

really speaks to how dull and forgettable 5 is though, no?

as someone who likes 3 substantially more than 5 i think it speaks more to the fact that for whatever reason you've decided to make an increasingly tiresome series of posts in this thread where you imply that any possible criticism of 3 is dumb and any possible praise of 5 is also dumb in the detached faux-ironic way that people adopt as a means of trying to make their opinions impossible to disagree with or challenge

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
gonna cry?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Stux, go home, you're drunk.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stux posted:

gonna cry?

yes but for unrelated reasons

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

cock hero flux posted:

Nah you track her down after Makoto and Yusuke talk her up, and she'll blow you off thinking you're one of her creepy stalker fans if you don't have Charm 3. If you do, she's still weirded out, but warms up to Joker after playing a game. That's also by far the most normal relationship he gets.

Stux posted:

thaht desont sound right either actually lol

Ann's kind of a stretch, but she does try to dissuade you until she stumbles into the Metaverse, and then she forces herself into the team by saying she'll go alone if you don't take her. Morgana, too, tries to press gang you into his Mementos quest, but you blow him off. The others are quite explicitly adversarial until you win them over.

Agreed that none of the confidants feel like they'd sell you out, though, that's a stretch. Morgana makes a big deal of telling you to earn their trust, but I think they're mostly established fans or people who would never go to the cops.

Stux posted:

i forgive yusuke. hes a good guy.

They're all good kids in bad places, but Yusuke is easily the best of them.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 7, 2024

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Picking the bad min-max social link options but shaking my head the whole time to let everyone know i disagree with them

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The good part is that on NG+ you can pick all the non-terrible answers because you have days to spare anyway.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Erg posted:

i saw two of them last year and cannot remember anything about him from them tbh so ill say they kept to the source material

i saw all 4 of them and even tho its p hazy (maybe doing 4 movies of a 80 hour rpg was, ill advised) hes like, a quiet depressed cold guy with ptsd who learns to open up??

imo the best modernsona protags just based off of Vibes are p3 male protag > p3 female protag = joker >>> p4 guy

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Junpei posted:

a game aping Persona or the next Persona game should make the player character a therapist or someone studying to want to help people as the reason for the Social Links, and reward you for saying what someone needs to hear

That's Caligua Effect's Protags, really.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I am playing through p3 reloaded and p5r simultaneously because I am a maniac. Or more specifically, my partner watched some p3 and was keen on doing more but I didn't really want to just sit on it and only play when she was available so I'm going to play 5r for her. My question is how much better does the ps5 version run than the ps4 version? I've got the ps4 version and I don't really want to fork out for the ps5 one since it's still full price, but if it runs as buttery smooth as p3 reloaded then I'd probably buy in. For the 3rd time. Like a rube.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man I knew this 100% guide was going to be more trouble than it’s worth when it had me try to brute force the 2nd block and grind out 50,000 yen before even getting Akihiko later in the month

Eh, I been through this game like 4 times across versions/ports/etc and only did the max social link thing on a FES playthrough years back, I can afford to go without Orpheus Telos in this one

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i did 2nd block before akihiko on merciless. just for fun. some sort of skill issue youre having or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Arqa is definitely intended to do with Akihiko since a good chunk of enemies and bosses are Elec weak. No harm in swapping a day for a future part of a guide.