Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

So important question while on the topic: is it "Pro Ack-rill" or "Pro Ahh-crill" ?

...and what do you guys do with the little bit of dried paint that builds up on the tip of your dropper bottles after use?

I only have the one bottle, but when I twist the lid up, about 1 times in 3 the dry paint just lifts off the plastic in one big chunk and you can pull it off. I also have a damp paper towel at my workstation and wipe the lid after each dispense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
I think Pro Acryl produces some excellent paints with a questionable bottle design. I’m glad that some like the twist bottles, and that you can buy alternatives from them, even if it is them selling a solution to a problem that they created.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Something I read in a comment on a video about Pro-Acryl bottles: after putting paint on the pallet, get it right side up and tap it on the table a few times. That blob of paint will get a _lot_ smaller. The one time reading the comments paid off.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Lumpy posted:

Something I read in a comment on a video about Pro-Acryl bottles: after putting paint on the pallet, get it right side up and tap it on the table a few times. That blob of paint will get a _lot_ smaller. The one time reading the comments paid off.

Amazing. Thanks for this

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Second last Hearthkyn Warrior done. I'd done some planning with blutack and figured a heavy plasma gun would fit on their torso and... I was wrong.. So I had to pop the radio-kin's gear on him and paint those up real quick.

One guy left

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What are citadel's good contrast paints?

I got the army painter speedpaint starter set, which has the basic colors but I feel like I could use a few more. Maybe a different color of green, red, brown or something.

Because I'm not sure about trying to mix mediums with the acrylic paints I already have and how they will come out. Or to be honest I already half assed it once and the results weren't good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lostconfused posted:

I got the army painter speedpaint starter set, which has the basic colors but I feel like I could use a few more. Maybe a different color of green, red, brown or something.

Because I'm not sure about trying to mix mediums with the acrylic paints I already have and how they will come out. Or to be honest I already half assed it once and the results weren't good.

Basically anything other than some of the purples are always really good.

Pick a color or thing you want to paint and they'll like all be good

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am proud to present, my mound of pride, my trove of opportunity, my entire 100% completed Tyranid army.

Despair, for HIVE FLEET ALSAQR is here!

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Lostconfused posted:

Snakebite Leather, Skeleton Horde, Black Legion, Wyldwood, Flesh-Tearer Red, Plaguebearer Flesh are all ones I've used and liked

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

The trick to mixing them with regular acrylics is a poo poo ton of flow improver.

Check out this Vincey V video on contrasts/speedpaints, it's really good. Around 33:00 he addresses mixing them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jla40wPw7_U

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 7, 2024

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Gonna do something different for my next project and go for BFG style starships. Trying to make the bases as modular as possible for storage and transportation. Thinking of printing the bases and using 1/8" rod to hold the ships, and for identification using a number + color code system for reverse identification. For example putting a red 2 on the base and writing "Red 2" on the fleet sheet next to Emperor's Chamberpot so the bases can be used for any faction instead of the other way around.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mederlock posted:

The trick to mixing them with regular acrylics is a poo poo ton of flow improver.

Check out this Vincey V video on contrasts/speedpaints, it's really good. Around 33:00 he addresses mixing them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jla40wPw7_U

That random Lord of the Rings reference, neeeeerd.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Guillaman flesh is good because it is good on its own, good as a wash on lighter flesh bases, good as a wash on golds. Wyldwood is really good for wood and leathers. Black Legion is good if you want just a dark black color and like the flow of contrast paints. Pylar Glacier is good if you are doing ghosts or ice. The yellows are really good, I like Imperial Fist or Ironjawz for a good single coat bright yellow, and Iyanden Yellow for a dirty yellow-brown that.

To be honest I have found a use for a lot of the contrast paints, some are very special/specific. Space Wolves grey is good for old grey/white hair.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Blasmeister posted:

Snakebite Leather, Skeleton Horde, Black Legion, Wyldwood, Flesh-Tearer Red, Plaguebearer Flesh are all ones I've used and liked

Also Nazdreg Yellow, Garaghak Sewer, Dark Angel Green, Volopus Pink, Doomfire Magenta, Basilicanum Grey, Leviadon Blue. I also got some Dreadful Visage today and liking it so far.

As someone said it seems purple is the main weak area, which is annoying given his that's something I've been looking for but Luxion just won't settle right on a marine shoulder, although Shyish has it's charms. I did find a base of Genestealer Purple helps Luxion out though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol don't know why I didn't realize it until I went to transfer it to a dropper bottle, but contrast medium separates in the pot just like contrast paints.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I’m not a fast painter at all, but I’ve been enjoying this. Had to figure out my approach on the Aggradon from scratch and I’m happy with how it turned out.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have advice on painting non-brown wood colors? I'm doing up some Wildercorps Hunters and I'd be interested to try painting the crossbows & arbalest's wood in either a lighter tan or an aspen coloration, rather than the traditional dark woody colors. (Maybe I should just water down the Wyldwood or Goregrunta Fur contrast paints I have, but I don't have contrast medium. I've got a reasonable selection of brown ordinary acrylics too, from painting the doggos.)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have advice on painting non-brown wood colors? I'm doing up some Wildercorps Hunters and I'd be interested to try painting the crossbows & arbalest's wood in either a lighter tan or an aspen coloration, rather than the traditional dark woody colors. (Maybe I should just water down the Wyldwood or Goregrunta Fur contrast paints I have, but I don't have contrast medium. I've got a reasonable selection of brown ordinary acrylics too, from painting the doggos.)

Do you have flow improver and regular acrylic medium?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mederlock posted:

Do you have flow improver and regular acrylic medium?

Water? Isopropyl alcohol? (All the mediums are on my shopping list, and I don't have an airbrush.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can get flow improver by mixing a few drops of glycerin into water apparently.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Water? Isopropyl alcohol? (All the mediums are on my shopping list, and I don't have an airbrush.)

You can go to your local art/craft/hobby store and pick up the liquitex or golden ones for a fraction of what GW charges for the same or better products.
Matte medium, your choice of a varnish (matte or satin are generally a safe bet), and a flow improver is where I'd start imo.

I don't even have an airbrush and I have flow improver, you can make stuff like diy washes and diy contrast medium with it, it's great.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Vive l'empreur

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Great to see some historicals. Only another 412,999 to go before completing your march to Moscow. Alternatively a few dozen with a lot of weathering on the way back from Moscow.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

I am proud to present, my mound of pride, my trove of opportunity, my entire 100% completed Tyranid army.

Awesome work! I’m very jealous at how cool this looks and how you finished an army.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Marechal Davout

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

Marechal Davout

wow, beautifiul. excellent.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

To the king!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spoilers for Stormlight book 2+

The color correction really does not help the face, unfortunately, and it's not the best face I've ever done to begin with.

Sorry, Jasnah.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Painting with an airbrush is a struggle. Pull back the trigger too far and the overspray streaks all over the model, not far enough and nothing happens because there's already some built up paint on the needle blocking the opening if it's small. Same thing with pressing the trigger, not enough and you get no flow, too much and it's streaks everywhere.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Strolling through, uh, Inwit?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lostconfused posted:

Painting with an airbrush is a struggle. Pull back the trigger too far and the overspray streaks all over the model, not far enough and nothing happens because there's already some built up paint on the needle blocking the opening if it's small. Same thing with pressing the trigger, not enough and you get no flow, too much and it's streaks everywhere.

Thin your paints.

No, seriously. If nothing else, you should be using some kind of flow improver to avoid dry tip. If you're not starting at around 1:1 paint to thinners for acrylic, you're not thinning enough.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

those look super sick, inspiring me to work on my own hive fleet!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Thin your paints.

No, seriously. If nothing else, you should be using some kind of flow improver to avoid dry tip. If you're not starting at around 1:1 paint to thinners for acrylic, you're not thinning enough.

I was using 1:1 and then 1:2.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

grassy gnoll posted:

Thin your paints.

Seconding this, even for paints that are marketed as "air" or "airbrush ready", you absolutely should be thinning them. Airbrush thinner should be the first thing in the bottom of the airbrush cup before any paint is added.

Lostconfused posted:

I was using 1:1 and then 1:2.

What paints and thinner are you using?

E: I ask as there are some paints that only tend to work well with thinners from the same brand (Vallejo is a pretty good example of that).

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 9, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
What about for Vallejo grey airbrush primer?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Citadel Contrast paint and water/alcohol for thinner, thinking about it, it was probably too much thinner instead of not enough.

I was trying to do a light tint/coat.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Lostconfused posted:

Citadel Contrast paint and water/alcohol for thinner, thinking about it, it was probably too much thinner instead of not enough.

I was trying to do a light tint/coat.

Skip the thinner and try a mix of Contrast and flow improver instead. Most Contrast paints, inks, washes, etc. are thin enough that you can just airbrush them neat, but you still want something to prevent paint from drying on the tip for extended periods. You can buy some branded flow improver, or else make your own with distilled water and a few drops of glycerin. Maybe add in some drying retarder as well. I've been working on something similar for painting some Salamander space marines, and while I haven't quite gotten where I want to go with it yet (despite staying up absurdly late last night experimenting with it), I have found that the flow improver does help.

(E: just to clarify, by "make your own" flow improver, I mean "get a bottle or other container and mix some water with several drops of glycerin". Didn't want anyone thinking I meant to just mix it up in the airbrush cup :v:)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 9, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Skip the thinner and try a mix of Contrast and flow improver instead. Most Contrast paints, inks, washes, etc. are thin enough that you can just airbrush them neat, but you still want something to prevent paint from drying on the tip for extended periods. You can buy some branded flow improver, or else make your own with distilled water and a few drops of glycerin. Maybe add in some drying retarder as well. I've been working on something similar for painting some Salamander space marines, and while I haven't quite gotten where I want to go with it yet (despite staying up absurdly late last night experimenting with it), I have found that the flow improver does help.

(E: just to clarify, by "make your own" flow improver, I mean "get a bottle or other container and mix some water with several drops of glycerin". Didn't want anyone thinking I meant to just mix it up in the airbrush cup :v:)

Yeah thanks, I'll try that next time.

In retrospect too much thinner was kind of an obvious answer since I said the problems were that paint was flowing too much and drying too fast.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kylaer posted:

What about for Vallejo grey airbrush primer?

I can shoot that stuff raw, but if I am doing more than a few models I add a little bit of flow improver. With primer you can use a bigger needle as well, which somewhat reduces the need to thin the Vallejo grey primer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I can spray Vallejo primer without thinning it with a .5mm needle at 30psi.