Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

When our kid had COVID last week, we called the "advice nurse" line, and of course the nurse pushed us to take him to urgent care because that's what the script said to do. We asked to talk to the on-call physician, who turned out to be a mother of two, and she basically said "if he's peeing and the fever stays under 103.5, don't worry too much".

Little jerk passed it on to me and then turned back into his usual tornado self about a day later. He definitely developed a taste for baby acetaminophen and ibuprofen, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anyone ever had their kid have a "sacral dimple"? My wife is freaking out about it with our newborn. It's just one more stressor on top of our dog dying a few days ago.

Everything I've read is that it the vast majority of cases it's nothing to worry about.

Our 3 month old has one. It's nothing. It's already starting to go away a little bit

The biggest problem with it is that sometimes lint gets caught in it and you have to wipe his second butthole.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Our 1-year-old son did a similar thing. I woke him for a bottle (we hadn't night weaned yet) and he sounded like a loving seal and seemed to be having a hard time breathing.

Our pediatrician's nurse line was pretty helpful. They transcribe a message and send it to whoever is on call, we got a call back immediately saying he probably has croup and to give him some Ibuprofen and take him into the shower for a bit to help clear it out and to call back if he didn't improve.

Thankfully he never got that much worse, but TBH it's really hard to know when it's "bad enough". Like I'd know when it's REALLY bad, but what's the cutoff of bad enough for an ER visit? :shrug:

One of the weird things with croup is that cold air can help too apparently. So you take them to the ER, and as you're walking your kid to the car, drive around, then into the ER they can improve a bunch. When I took my boy in the next morning to the doctor he definitely did that. He was kinda messed up at home, but he sounded pretty good at the doctor's office.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 7, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We took our newborn to the ER for labored breathing once, he also improved as soon as we got there.

I got my bill for my crushed toddler finger X-Ray: $400. I should have given him Tylenol and waited, but man I thought I broke it. Kids are springy.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
We went to the children’s ER so many times during the first year for very ordinary sorts of fevers and sniffles. We were lucky to never get hassled for it, even though our ER is perpetually slammed during respiratory season. Professional reassurance is sometimes what everyone needs to feel better, including, for some reason, the baby themselves.

We did learn a very valuable fact at our last urgent care visit which is that by following the package directions to give 1.5ml for infant Tylenol (based on his age) we were under-dosing our toddler by about 50% compared to calculating a dose by weight. It’s worth keeping in mind, because giving the correct dose makes a world of difference.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We've got a $450 bill incoming for our ER visit due to a febrile seizure. At least all of the medical staff was reassuring us that we did the right thing.

Also thankful that the ambulance ride was free because the county we live in runs EMS as part of the fire service and doesn't charge fees (beyond normal taxes).

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Rufio posted:

Recommending my MIL get a full neurological workup because she can't ever seem to remember that toddlers need to eat more than just cookies all the time

Mine can barely remember her own grandchildren's names and has never remembered her own children's birthdays...

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

funny song about politics posted:

We did learn a very valuable fact at our last urgent care visit which is that by following the package directions to give 1.5ml for infant Tylenol (based on his age) we were under-dosing our toddler by about 50% compared to calculating a dose by weight. It’s worth keeping in mind, because giving the correct dose makes a world of difference.

Oh yeah for sure. They probably pick the lowest percentile weight for the age ranges and recommend a dose based on that. Gotta be careful because they can’t go the other way.

The jumps in dose are surprisingly big too, so weighing is a good thing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's probably good dosage advice, but legal-eagle says "check with YOUR doctor first on Tylenol dosage"

And yeah I think we clocked in four ER visits and two "urgent" daytime pediatrician visits in the first two years, I think 4 of them were ear infections rapidly resolved by a visit to a 24 hr pharmacy for antibiotics. The other two I've forgotten due to sleep deprivation

Feb 11, 2002
Yes I can see why they don’t emphasize dosing by weight on the package. It’s the kind of thing that could easily confuse people, especially since different formulations (ie infant vs child Tylenol) have different concentrations that change the math.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
We have two forms of children's ibuprofen here with only a slim banner on the label to indicate a concentrated formula. I always check the dosing advice chart when you have the bottle in your hand to draw it and, for a little baby, we use the last weight recorded (until we get around to chucking them on the scales again), because we're only growing 1-2kgs between weigh-ins and that can be like 0.3mls difference. At/past toddler age it's been much more useful to weigh in (though we still use the "last recorded weight" concept) cos he's very big and tall for his age, like 5+ years over the chart difference.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 7, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

G-Spot Run posted:

We have two forms of children's ibuprofen here with only a slim banner on the label to indicate a concentrated formula. I always check the dosing advice chart when you have the bottle in your hand to draw it

Quoting for great justice

I've found we had both infant and children's in the house, especially around the 18 month mark when both my wife and I were buying it separate at the drug store

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yes I can see why they don’t emphasize dosing by weight on the package. It’s the kind of thing that could easily confuse people, especially since different formulations (ie infant vs child Tylenol) have different concentrations that change the math.

I think it’s usually the opposite, my infant ibuprofen bottle lists the dose for weight then the age. I’m pretty sure the package says to use the weight but if you don’t know the weight use the age.

That’s why I think the age dose suggestions are so conservative. You gotta cover the tiny children at every age, but if the parents know the weight you can dial in a dose much more safely, so you’ll be able to dose more by weight.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The “infant drops” concentration of ibuprofen really confuses things because there is otherwise more overlap between the volume you give of infant and children’s acetaminophen and of children’s ibuprofen (at least on the standard charts). This is an easily solved problem, of course, but God forbid there be any regulation on it.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Tylenol at least is actually the same concentration, which was helpful when there were those shortages. Ibuprofen not so much.

Our pediatrician's office has a little sheet they use each visit, which notes things like vitals measured, shots given, and they write down the dosage for any otc medicines based on weight each time. The form on the back also has charts listing out the doses by weight for infants and children's ibuprofen and tylenol, which is helpful if you've forgotten what the most recent dose was and have an old form (or one for the other kid) handy.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

King Hong Kong posted:

The “infant drops” concentration of ibuprofen really confuses things because there is otherwise more overlap between the volume you give of infant and children’s acetaminophen and of children’s ibuprofen (at least on the standard charts). This is an easily solved problem, of course, but God forbid there be any regulation on it.
Infants' Tylenol used to be higher concentration than Children's, but parents were dosing it wrong and acetaminophen is hepatotoxic, and so the FDA made a strong-armed "recommendation" to only have a single concentration for pediatric liquid acetaminophen. So now Infants' Tylenol is like 3x as expensive by volume but otherwise identical to Children's.

Infants' Motrin is actually higher concentration than Children's, which is kind of helpful when you have an infant that will reliably take some, but not much, volume of medicine. But of course, don't give ibuprofen to an infant less than six months.
Probably-not-coincidentally, the concentration of Children's Motrin is such that it's nearly an identical effective dose by volume as Tylenol because, you know, people are going to mix that up.

Feb 11, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Infants' Tylenol used to be higher concentration than Children's, but parents were dosing it wrong and acetaminophen is hepatotoxic, and so the FDA made a strong-armed "recommendation" to only have a single concentration for pediatric liquid acetaminophen. So now Infants' Tylenol is like 3x as expensive by volume but otherwise identical to Children's.

This seems good. I’m in Canada and I guess they haven’t done that yet here, though it seems obviously in their interest to try to harmonize the North American market as much as possible.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
As a bonus modern era anxiety, I'm paranoid about giving the toddler too regular/much Tylenol as a holdover of when he was younger especially, due to the research on excessive use being tied to worse mental development outcomes

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Academician Nomad posted:

the research on excessive use being tied to worse mental development outcomes

Can you expand on this? Never heard this one before. I know it will gently caress up your liver in certain doses and doesn't mix with alcohol but this is the first I've heard about the brain

I think in general ibuprofen is better than Tylenol except for the first six months due to XYZ ultra rare ibuprofen allergy. But parents start on Tylenol and they never switch over to ibuprofen because inertia

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The pro move is to stagger ibuprofen and Tylenol so that there's always something in their system. It's great until your sick kid takes over the world and enslaves the human race with their super strength uninhibited by pain.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Always have both on hand to rotate them every 4 hours in a pinch.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

extravadanza posted:

Always have both on hand to rotate them every 4 hours in a pinch.

This is also good advice for grown ups. Rotating these over the counter meds has been shown to be as-or-more effective at managing acute pain than opiates

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chernobyl Princess posted:

This is also good advice for grown ups. Rotating these over the counter meds has been shown to be as-or-more effective at managing acute pain than opiates

It also helps prevent the 99.7 temp aka the worst temp. I’m always way more miserable with one of those bugs than something that sends me to like 102/103.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Me: Wanna stay up tonight? :wiggle:
Wife: I think I can muster up some energy. :wiggle:
Son: I hAvE lOtS oF eNeRgY tOo LoLoL :holy:
Me & Wife: :smith: nvm

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Weaning begins tonight
Wish me luck this is gonna be a whole drat experience

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

I'm absolutely convinced that toddlers have evolved to function as an effective contraception, such that competitors aren't formed in the first 3-4 years of their lives. The trick is to grab a quickie while they nap or are at daycare. Just make sure to set an alarm, post-coital bliss combined with sleep deprivation can be a dangerous cocktail. Not that that's ever happened to me, no Sir.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Brawnfire posted:

I gave everyone a melatonin last night so they would pass out faster, specifically for this reason.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Found out there's a stomach bug going around daycare the hard way at 2 this morning and again at 5. Guess we're going to have to power through today with caffeine and 4 hours of sleep! Perfectly timed to go alongside a sleep regression for the baby, wow.

At least I got to see the beautiful sunrise

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Look at all these goons not having sex.

Which thread am I in? Oh, wait…

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Can you expand on this? Never heard this one before. I know it will gently caress up your liver in certain doses and doesn't mix with alcohol but this is the first I've heard about the brain

I think in general ibuprofen is better than Tylenol except for the first six months due to XYZ ultra rare ibuprofen allergy. But parents start on Tylenol and they never switch over to ibuprofen because inertia

Like most things there's a lot of FUD that it's hard to parse the actual signal, but there are at least not-obviously-quack indications that heavier Tylenol use isn't great for at-least-very-young kid. E.g.

https://publications.aap.org/pediat...edFrom=fulltext

quote:

Short-term maternal use of acetaminophen during pregnancy was negatively associated with ADHD in offspring. Long-term maternal use of acetaminophen during pregnancy was substantially associated with ADHD even after adjusting for indications of use, familial risk of ADHD, and other potential confounders.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9056471/

https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/11/05/acetaminophen-pregnancy-autism-adhd/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31637744/

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0272593

but on the other hand

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41390-022-02182-w

Anyway it's mostly a thing for pregnant women and infants, not toddlers+ that I can see.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hell yeah Moana 2.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My daughter loves Moana and wears a bathing suit with her on it for her swim lessons and I appreciate that it's a good enough movie that it can be on often and I don't want to go insane

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I'm traveling for work in a few weeks (Sun-Thurs) and I need some ideas on how to ease the pain for my wife. She's a stay-at-home parent for our 1.5yo and 4yo and it's gonna be rough. 4yo goes to preschool MWF in the afternoon, but the little one is still all hands on deck. My folks are in the area and can help out a bit here and there, but can't stay the whole time or anything like that.

Just looking for some ideas!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Moana has a legit good soundtrack that doesn't get perpetually stuck in your head like Frozen does

We found out the super Mario Brothers movie was on Netflix and I think my kiddo has watched it (by request ) somewhere between 8 and 11 times now. Since they have to bundle a bunch of different Nintendo franchises it actually has quite a lot of variety

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

truavatar posted:

I'm traveling for work in a few weeks (Sun-Thurs) and I need some ideas on how to ease the pain for my wife. She's a stay-at-home parent for our 1.5yo and 4yo and it's gonna be rough. 4yo goes to preschool MWF in the afternoon, but the little one is still all hands on deck. My folks are in the area and can help out a bit here and there, but can't stay the whole time or anything like that.

Just looking for some ideas!

Make it clear that she is not a bad mom if she throws them in front of a screen more than usual. You use every available tool to survive in that scenario.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have probably a really stupid question. I’m planning to send my son to public school this fall for preschool, he is 3. I thought that next fall he would go to kindergarten, but he can’t enroll in kindergarten until he is 5. Can he go to public preschool for 2 years then?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

remigious posted:

I have probably a really stupid question. I’m planning to send my son to public school this fall for preschool, he is 3. I thought that next fall he would go to kindergarten, but he can’t enroll in kindergarten until he is 5. Can he go to public preschool for 2 years then?

Depends on the school district. Mine does PK3 and PK4, where you're 3 by september 1st or you're 4 by september 1st, and then kindergarten you're 5 by september 1st. Probably need to contact an admin at your school/district.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What’s a good age for a first movie?

My 3yo is big on Moana, hence my hell yeah for Moana 2, but I think that’s too early to try in a theater both from an attention span perspective and a “the giant crab and flaming angry demon are a lot scarier on a movie theater screen versus home TV” perspective.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
3 years is old enough to sit through movies in my experience.

ninja edit: maybe find a dollar theater in your area and do a test run before you pony up premium first run cash on moana 2 though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Ours was 4 at this first movie but honestly he was probably ready at 3. If you're not sure or just nervous, just hit up like a Tuesday matinee or something along those lines, towards the end of the movie's life and you'll have a nice empty theater.