Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

lol just lol if you don’t have your switch hooked up to a capture card so you can display it in OBS on your PC and take screenshots with Print Screen that then uploads directly into OneDrive so it’s immediately on your phone. simple and normal, to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i have my switch hooked up to a capture card too but there's just enough lag in it that super mario rpg was unplayable that way due to not being able to get any timed hits off.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

nice pube on the screen brother

Sir his name is Donkey Kong

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I take screenshots and show them to girls on dates

“And here’s me on Eventide Island…”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

i don';t have a tv and my eyes are dogshit and i can't do small screens. Eat my rear end.

buy a tv

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Started playing TOTK recently after having picked it up with a voucher (used the other one on SMRPG to recapture my childhood :corsair: ) and gotta say, I'm really not feeling it so far. Context: I thought BOTW was a good game that was largely marred by bad combat. Exploring (except for the raincloud that apparently had it out for me and followed me around) and most of the shrine puzzles were the fun parts of the game, and I mostly tolerated when I had to fight things. I beat the main plot and largely ignored the DLCs (which were... lots of fighting things).

TOTK still has the exploration, and I'm having fun with the sky and gluing poo poo together to make cool vehicles, but the combat is still very not fun and they hosed up the shrine puzzles. Eight or nine out of ten shrine puzzles feel like I'm doing something incredibly janky that the game and developers never intended, but it's the only way to solve the puzzle so it must be the way things are meant to go. I feel like I'm fighting the game every time I have to rotate a block while rubbing it up against a wall to fit it through an oddly-shaped hole, or build a tower of unclimbable Shiekah Nomai Teflon Blocks™ on a two-block wide platform while manipulating the one block I can climb just right. It's not fun. I think I'm gonna tap out here and go back to a replay of FF5 I was in the middle of, or maybe actually play SMRPG in earnest for the first time in nearly 30 years.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
skill issue

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TOTK ftmfw

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Yeah, you’re missing something or something.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

Started playing TOTK recently after having picked it up with a voucher (used the other one on SMRPG to recapture my childhood :corsair: ) and gotta say, I'm really not feeling it so far. Context: I thought BOTW was a good game that was largely marred by bad combat. Exploring (except for the raincloud that apparently had it out for me and followed me around) and most of the shrine puzzles were the fun parts of the game, and I mostly tolerated when I had to fight things. I beat the main plot and largely ignored the DLCs (which were... lots of fighting things).

TOTK still has the exploration, and I'm having fun with the sky and gluing poo poo together to make cool vehicles, but the combat is still very not fun and they hosed up the shrine puzzles. Eight or nine out of ten shrine puzzles feel like I'm doing something incredibly janky that the game and developers never intended, but it's the only way to solve the puzzle so it must be the way things are meant to go. I feel like I'm fighting the game every time I have to rotate a block while rubbing it up against a wall to fit it through an oddly-shaped hole, or build a tower of unclimbable Shiekah Nomai Teflon Blocks™ on a two-block wide platform while manipulating the one block I can climb just right. It's not fun. I think I'm gonna tap out here and go back to a replay of FF5 I was in the middle of, or maybe actually play SMRPG in earnest for the first time in nearly 30 years.

it is fun. motion denied. get your head checked out it sounds like you have a hole thru it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

An Actual Princess posted:

i don';t have a tv and my eyes are dogshit and i can't do small screens. Eat my rear end.
I'm not too proud to admit that I play handheld with cheaters I bought off the rack at Costco.

Probably loving up my old rear end eyes even more.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
if you get to the end of a shrine in botw/totk then you're doing it as intended. doesn't matter how you get there

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

mdemone posted:

Tropical Freeze on sale. Worth it?

Under 40?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

if you get to the end of a shrine in botw/totk then you're doing it as intended. doesn't matter how you get there
It's more about the level of jank I feel like I'm dealing with. Half of the time something I tried previously that didn't work last time does this time and I have no idea why, and most of the remaining times the solution is easy to figure out, but frustrating and tedious to implement.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 8, 2024

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
TOTK shrines are pretty boring compared to BOTW’s. BOTW let you play around with your powers and stuff and feel clever. TOTK expects you to build some janky bullshit with the janky building power but the puzzle can usually be solved by lifting something into the air with your magic hand, then lowering it, climbing on it, and making it raise on its own with recall. At which point you ascend through something or float away with your glider to victory.

I like TOTK a lot. I’ve put nearly 120 hours into it, I’m nearing the end, and I’ll probably keep playing and doing things for awhile after I finish it. But the shrines are absolutely the weakest part of the game and I am always thankful to find a Rauru shrine.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Commander Keene posted:

It's more about the level of jank I feel like I'm dealing with. Half of the time something I tried previously that didn't work last time does this time and I have no idea why, and most of the remaining times the solution is easy to figure out, but frustrating and tedious to implement.

This is what programmers lives are like.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

True, and I like the tutorial shrines they added. In BotW, I threw poo poo exactly twice, in 100+ hours of playing.

In TotK, one of the first shrines I went through was an extensive throwing tutorial. When I finished and walked out, I was like "that was fun, but it's probably not gonna be terribly relevant". Ten minutes later, I had to glue-grip a huge spiked ball and use it as a shield against a band of bokoblins throwing hand grenades at me. :shepface:

Recently, I also went back and played Skyrim a bit. Turns out after playing BotW for so long by punting arrows into loving everything, I'm now a master bowman. Well, bow-woman in this case. And then I realized the Switch's weird targeting help also works on spells, and my thiefarchaeologist kitty took mage knight as a subclass. :getin:

Honestly though, the Bethesda-level writing in Skyrim sure is something. The game just loves locking doors behind me, sending squads of grudge knights, all manners of fuckery to prevent me from going off-script in their dumb quests.

The perfect game for me would be if someone mixed the writing of TotK with a Bethesda-game. Also it would be nice if gameplay worked more like in ToTK, too. The gameplay and writing of TotK in the setting of the Elder Scrolls. That sounds like fun.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

TOTK shrines are pretty boring compared to BOTW’s. BOTW let you play around with your powers and stuff and feel clever. TOTK expects you to build some janky bullshit with the janky building power but the puzzle can usually be solved by lifting something into the air with your magic hand, then lowering it, climbing on it, and making it raise on its own with recall. At which point you ascend through something or float away with your glider to victory.

I like TOTK a lot. I’ve put nearly 120 hours into it, I’m nearing the end, and I’ll probably keep playing and doing things for awhile after I finish it. But the shrines are absolutely the weakest part of the game and I am always thankful to find a Rauru shrine.

the shrines are better if you have a heart that enjoys messing around and fun and arent a soulless freak who has to instantly do only the fastest way to do everything in any game ever made no matter how miserable it makes you. perhaps try that?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[looking at a box of lego] how purile. [makes a perfect square of bricks 50 times] and this is fun to you? lol. ok.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wondering why no one ever invites me to do escape rooms just because the one time i went i instantly kicked the door in while robotically explaining it was the most efficient method of egress

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i spent about 20 hours straight just doing the totk shrines cos theyre so fun. the rest of the game can wait!!!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I don't know what's more annoying, the weird "cop" guy who was always asking what games to "cop" and what games he currently had "copped" or copying at Staples or whatever, or the fact that we've moved past that and on to "jank" and how "janky" TotK is.

It all feels moist.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 8, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
BotW and TotK just didn't click with me. I can see why others like them, but it just never meshed.

I have 100s of hours in Skyrim, so it's not the open world. I think it's honestly the shrines - I like the dungeons/puzzles in the traditional Zelda games a lot, but the Shrines are so pared down and streamlined that they don't scratch the same itch.

That combined with the removal of most of the traditional Zelda tools in favor of giving you a small set up front that you use for everything just didn't work for me.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

It just doesn't seem like the correct adjective for the game.

I'm not white-knighting or whatever, because everyone has their likes and dislikes, but that doesn't really seem fair.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i'm definitely an outlier here but i haven't been a fan of any of the 3d zeldas other than windwaker and i bounced off both totk and botw after about 10 hours of playing both but tried them just because of all the high praise

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

eightysixed posted:

It just doesn't seem like the correct adjective for the game.

I'm not white-knighting or whatever, because everyone has their likes and dislikes, but that doesn't really seem fair.

I think the average person has pretty basic critical writing skills and heavily relies on the use of shorthand and slang. It's easier to just say something is "good/bad" and let the reader fill in what exactly that means instead of spending the time (and having the skill) to fully describe complex thoughts and feelings.

This isn't a knock on anyone specific, just something I've noticed about media criticism at large across various places.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah I think it was 36. Bought it last night.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

eightysixed posted:

I don't know what's more annoying, the weird "cop" guy who was always asking what games to "cop" and what games he currently had "copped" or copying at Staples or whatever, or the fact that we've moved past that and on to "jank" and how "janky" TotK is.

It all feels moist.

its because the lazy leakers REFUSE to put in the work and give any concrete switch 2 info

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Large Testicles posted:

i'm definitely an outlier here but i haven't been a fan of any of the 3d zeldas other than windwaker and i bounced off both totk and botw after about 10 hours of playing both but tried them just because of all the high praise

I really knuckled down at the start of the year and gave BotW an honest good shot, was having a great time after about 10 hours, lmao, and then got to a boss at the top of a cliff - the Lynel - big centaur motherfucker - and I had so much bother with him. Tried blind and just got nowhere. Thought about looking up a solution and in the end just watched a whole speedrun and now i don't need to play BotW, lmao.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really knuckled down at the start of the year and gave BotW an honest good shot, was having a great time after about 10 hours, lmao, and then got to a boss at the top of a cliff - the Lynel - big centaur motherfucker - and I had so much bother with him. Tried blind and just got nowhere. Thought about looking up a solution and in the end just watched a whole speedrun and now i don't need to play BotW, lmao.

[standing proudly] I Pissed My Pants.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
skill issue

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Kassad posted:

skill issue

I bounced off botw bc of this but I'm better now. It can happen to you!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Stux posted:

You ain't cool unless you pee your pants!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's ok to not like BotW or TotK, you're safe here despite some of the heathens.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The solution was to not fight him

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you're literally told to just sneak around to get the arrows and avoid the lynel, you do not need to fight it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Stux posted:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

you're literally told to just sneak around to get the arrows and avoid the lynel, you do not need to fight it

oh

totally missed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I enjoyed TOTK but I did solve 95% of the puzzles with a shield and a rocket

Tho as someone who doesn’t enjoy puzzle games without the word Tetris in the title, this was a plus