Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nrook posted:

I've become a big fan of harpies, despite their habit of using their wings to fly away instantly during every storm. +5 carrying capacity is just such a great firekeeper bonus; it makes everything so much faster.

Yeah, it's not something that has a direct impact like the others, but it's definitely the best for general use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Parallelwoody posted:

Just finished up the gold seal. Any advice for hitting the prestige levels on my way to the next one? Any must have upgrades I should grab first?

I don't remember where they are in the tree but all of the 'when you first get this people get a bonus' and 'trickle of training weapons'. I find both of those very useful.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I like the combination of humans, beavers and harpies, because they all like biscuits and they all like coats, and they're pretty good at producing both. Too bad their services don't have more overlap.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Lizards food synergy is great too. They have their downsides but I'm never sad to have em.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm fonder of ranches than I frankly probably should be, so that's another point in favor of lizards

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Lizards getting both bonuses from Smokehouse and Grill, plus using jerky to make skewers is VERY satisfying when it all comes together. I don't know if it's objectively "good", but if mass meaty lizards are wrong, I don't want to be right.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My friend was recently making fun of me for liking kilns too much in Against the Storm.

This was my next game:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
What key shows that?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

OddObserver posted:

What key shows that?

Tab. Other helpful ones are Ctrl to see recipe overlay, Alt to see who's assigned to buildings, and B to show resource overlay.

Also I only recently realized that the colors in the rainpunk overlay are showing which water it's using. The kilns use storm water so the dial shows up in blue when it's in use.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How many geysers were you working to supply those?

Also I absolutely need to remember to build multiples of my buildings. Three kilns would make coal sacrifice so much more reasonable.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Arcturas posted:

How many geysers were you working to supply those?

Also I absolutely need to remember to build multiples of my buildings. Three kilns would make coal sacrifice so much more reasonable.

You can see how I was supplying my kilns in that screenshot. It wasn't with geysers! Of course, I wasn't really collecting rain to fuel my kilns: I was making charcoal in order to use rain. I had picked up a timed order to use 150 units of storm water, which led to the amusing encampment above. I even tore down all my warehouses and camps in order to make those rain collectors.

Rain collectors are an interesting beast. They're so slow, and their requirement of parts can be really painful, but increased efficiency is good enough that I find myself with one or two a lot of the time anyway. And it's often convenient to stash irritable foxes in them during the storm.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Tab. Other helpful ones are Ctrl to see recipe overlay, Alt to see who's assigned to buildings, and B to show resource overlay.

Also I only recently realized that the colors in the rainpunk overlay are showing which water it's using. The kilns use storm water so the dial shows up in blue when it's in use.

Thanks!

KNR
May 3, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Not just see, you can click on the overlays to turn rainpunk dials and assign/unassign workers (mouse wheel changes the species to assign). And turn production on/off, but I never use that one as I'm basically always checking the ingredients if I'm toggling production.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

nrook posted:

Rain collectors are an interesting beast. They're so slow, and their requirement of parts can be really painful, but increased efficiency is good enough that I find myself with one or two a lot of the time anyway. And it's often convenient to stash irritable foxes in them during the storm.

I tend to hold off on rain until I find the flavor of geyser I'm looking for, and I almost always upgrade it with a robot worker, though I'm not sure if that's really efficient.

What do you guys think about the advanced rain collector? I seem to only pick it when the other options are REALLY bad, but maybe I'm missing out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

always happy to see one in a glade - i love it, personally, but only tend to pick it when there's nothing on offer that i need to produce for production chains.

i don't go super-heavy on rain most times but i do try to have a consumer for all rain types and for all building materials to have a piped recipe. a single fully-staffed adv collector will largely handle my needs, unless i'm going flat out on storm water burning because i've just built a shitload of houses or something. in which case a storm geyser would be nice

still only playing on viceroy, mind, so this might differ at later levels

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Advanced rain collector is good but there is almost always a food chain / luxury chain / building supply chain piece I need to fill, while for me rain is almost a luxury. Getting a gap for complex food filled is almost always my priority over making complex food faster.

I’ve started using rain MUCH more since you get the 5 blight rot every 3rd clearance modifier which forces you to get a blight post anyway. Not needing to invest in a post or the super wood-expensive fire items is the best reason to avoid rainpunk so without that it’s a lot easier to slap a few engines on which don’t generate that much.

The blight post is a weird building because it feels like it requires a lot more micromanagement than other buildings. You HAVE to set production caps or remember to move people off it or it eats your entire wood supply but with caps your people are sitting around doing nothing 90% of the time, unlike most buildings where you can generally have someone making skewers or coats and just let them run since you’re consuming them consistently.

A fun wrinkle in the game!

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

revtoiletduck posted:

I like the combination of humans, beavers and harpies, because they all like biscuits and they all like coats, and they're pretty good at producing both. Too bad their services don't have more overlap.

My first game after posting this had humans, beavers and harpies. I picked herb garden first and my first glade had a haunted smelter for 3* biscuits. I got the cornerstone for 100% more yield from fertile soil and the one for +1 Herbs and +1 roots for every 75 biscuits produced. I ended up getting more than 30 herbs and roots from each yield. Sooo that was fun.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

revtoiletduck posted:

I tend to hold off on rain until I find the flavor of geyser I'm looking for, and I almost always upgrade it with a robot worker, though I'm not sure if that's really efficient.

What do you guys think about the advanced rain collector? I seem to only pick it when the other options are REALLY bad, but maybe I'm missing out.

The advanced rain collector is okay, I think. It can never open new doors for you, unfortunately, so it tends to be worse than new buildings you actually want. In other words, new recipes let you do new things, and even better versions of old recipes let you do new things if you care about efficiently using their base materials, but the advanced rain collector can only save you parts and manpower. As such, I will almost never pick it over a building I'm excited about, but I do sometimes pick it if everything else I've been offered is mediocre to me.

As a rule of thumb, I think the advanced rain collector is only worth picking if you already have at least one rain collector. I tend to pick it when I have two or more rain collectors, or when I have only one, really want two, but just can't afford the parts. This is because it provides more surplus value in these cases. If you didn't care enough about rain to build a regular rain collector, you don't care enough to benefit much from the advanced rain collector either.

The prestige difficulty that makes buildings more expensive makes the advanced rain collector better, since parts are much scarcer then.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Tom Tucker posted:

Advanced rain collector is good but there is almost always a food chain / luxury chain / building supply chain piece I need to fill, while for me rain is almost a luxury. Getting a gap for complex food filled is almost always my priority over making complex food faster.

I’ve started using rain MUCH more since you get the 5 blight rot every 3rd clearance modifier which forces you to get a blight post anyway. Not needing to invest in a post or the super wood-expensive fire items is the best reason to avoid rainpunk so without that it’s a lot easier to slap a few engines on which don’t generate that much.

The blight post is a weird building because it feels like it requires a lot more micromanagement than other buildings. You HAVE to set production caps or remember to move people off it or it eats your entire wood supply but with caps your people are sitting around doing nothing 90% of the time, unlike most buildings where you can generally have someone making skewers or coats and just let them run since you’re consuming them consistently.

A fun wrinkle in the game!

Just leave one dude in there most of the time and take em out when you have a good stash.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, i cannot win a settlement because the game keeps throwing orders at me that are impossible to fullfill, and i'm suddenly getting all these modifiers I have no idea where they're coming from. The "oh yea every storm you're going to drop to -20 resolve even though everyone was blue before the storm" keeps happening. Also where are these payments I have to make coming from?

Its like I selected hardest difficulty suddenly. But nope, still on settler.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, i cannot win a settlement because the game keeps throwing orders at me that are impossible to fullfill, and i'm suddenly getting all these modifiers I have no idea where they're coming from. The "oh yea every storm you're going to drop to -20 resolve even though everyone was blue before the storm" keeps happening. Also where are these payments I have to make coming from?

The storms have modifiers (they probably have an actual name, but I can't remember), that become active depending on your hostility level. You can see them all at the start of a map. Some of them do things like "pay packs of building materials for every year or some buildings turn into ruins" and I think there's another one that makes you pay Oil which is similarly multiplied by the year.

It sounds like your hostility is just getting too high. Easy short-term fixes for that are just to reduce woodcutters until the storm is over, or sacrifice coal or wood at the hearth. Both of those will reduce hostility temporarily.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Do you have dangerous glade events that you're currently working on? Keep in mind that they still count as being worked on as long as one of the options is activated, even if you don't have any workers on it.

Every villager (except foxes) get -2 resolve per hostility level during drizzle and clearance, and every villager (including foxes) gets an additional -4 per hostility level (including level 0) during the storm. It can easily sneak up on you, like if you're at hostility 5 then everyone's resolve will drop by -24 during the storm.

The payments are probably from one of your mysteries. You definitely want to pay attention to those because some will straight up kill your villagers.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

It sounds to me like you’re opening too many glades too early which spikes your hostility level which makes the storms harder. This is why things that lower hostility are so good. Make sure you note it’s a break point so if you have 99/100 towards the next hostility level removing 3 woodcutters (60 hostility) won’t do anything.

Then you get the standard - 1 (?) resolve per hostility all the time but during the storm an additional -4 per level hits.

The delivery requirements generally only happen at high hostility levels (you can see what they are going to be along with what’s active at the top of the screen) and you can generally afford to fail the delivery a bit. This is a good reason to make sure you lower hostility (reassign woodcutters, put a fox in the hearth, or sacrifice wood / coal in the hearth) if you’re hitting hostility levels during the storm with bad effects.

But yeah it’s a dance. Open too few glades / let in too few people and you can’t get resources or build reputation. Open too many and you drown in hostility.

Also worth noting small glades are traps. They have minimal resources compared to dangerous glades and while they increase hostility less it’s still much more proportionally than what they are worth. At prestige ~14 I generally open my first dangerous glade after the first storm then one per year after that. Exceptions can obviously be made, and you want to get to forbidden ones once you can build up a good supply of oft-used glade event resources (tools, training equipment, barrels, incense or other luxury, etc) or even faster in the marshlands as one mega node wins games.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Are you sure it's actually on settler difficulty because when your caravan has gone too far it will block out the lower difficulties and default to a higher difficulty and if you're not paying attention you might not notice it's on prestige all of a sudden.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Saw an oops all forbidden glades modifier, figured what the heck. Mist piercers showed up second year, and I was fortunately already pretty close to some noxious machinery and had sat on an upgraded camp choice to take advantage of the three large root nodes that were also inside. A flour mill and a bakery in the opening recipe offer meant I was pretty much off to the races at that point.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Does anyone know if sacrificing oil makes glade events faster?

e: looks like it doesn't; sad

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

nrook posted:

Does anyone know if sacrificing oil makes glade events faster?

e: looks like it doesn't; sad

Nah that's specifically sea marrow.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I need to get out of the habit of shouting "racism time! woo racism!" whenever I hit the favor button to make some folks happy enough to gain resolve

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

nrook posted:

I need to get out of the habit of shouting "racism time! woo racism!" whenever I hit the favor button to make some folks happy enough to gain resolve
"Consumption Control" is a euphemism for explicitly racist sumptuary laws. These are considered core elements of an efficient society.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Advanced rain collector is nice to have when I'm unlucky with geysers, but it really depends on the other blueprints I get when it shows up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tom Tucker posted:

It sounds to me like you’re opening too many glades too early which spikes your hostility level which makes the storms harder. This is why things that lower hostility are so good. Make sure you note it’s a break point so if you have 99/100 towards the next hostility level removing 3 woodcutters (60 hostility) won’t do anything.

Then you get the standard - 1 (?) resolve per hostility all the time but during the storm an additional -4 per level hits.

The delivery requirements generally only happen at high hostility levels (you can see what they are going to be along with what’s active at the top of the screen) and you can generally afford to fail the delivery a bit. This is a good reason to make sure you lower hostility (reassign woodcutters, put a fox in the hearth, or sacrifice wood / coal in the hearth) if you’re hitting hostility levels during the storm with bad effects.

But yeah it’s a dance. Open too few glades / let in too few people and you can’t get resources or build reputation. Open too many and you drown in hostility.

Also worth noting small glades are traps. They have minimal resources compared to dangerous glades and while they increase hostility less it’s still much more proportionally than what they are worth. At prestige ~14 I generally open my first dangerous glade after the first storm then one per year after that. Exceptions can obviously be made, and you want to get to forbidden ones once you can build up a good supply of oft-used glade event resources (tools, training equipment, barrels, incense or other luxury, etc) or even faster in the marshlands as one mega node wins games.

The weird thing is my hostility was only 2, so that's what was confusing me. But yes it was the mysteries. I always look at the bottom left for the modifiers, and have been completely missing the ones along the top. That what was causing the crazy resolve drops because I wasn't taking into account of that stuff.

I've completely a few at Pioneer, it was just more about getting people in housing first then making sure I had enough specific housing for them.

Though none of that helps when again, missions are based on things that are impossible. If you're going to want me to either send 40 coal or sacrifice 15 coal, then give me coal! or a kiln or any building that i can use to make it! I even didn't get merchents that sold it, what the hell!?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1336490/view/4059501135880748462

Against the Storm roadmap.

1.2 will bring us production/consumption trend windows, blightpost upgrades, world events unique art, and Latin American Spanish localization.

1.3 features will be announced later.

There will be a DLC! With a new playable species, a new biome, new buildings, new order and new perks.

So it seems like the devs share the concerns of some in the thread about blightposts, which is good.

I'm pretty excited for the DLC. I hope we get the cool frog people. New biomes and new buildings are always cool. I have nearly 400 hours in this game, I definitely got my money's worth out of it. Especially considering how far the game has come during this time. I'm more than willing to pay for a DLC at this point.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

twistedmentat posted:

Though none of that helps when again, missions are based on things that are impossible. If you're going to want me to either send 40 coal or sacrifice 15 coal, then give me coal! or a kiln or any building that i can use to make it! I even didn't get merchents that sold it, what the hell!?

You can't rely on completing orders to win. It's common to not be able to do them all. Now's the time to learn how to manipulate resolve, which is usually how I win each settlement. Getting tool production/amber to buy tools is another way if you have a bunch of caches lying around. Also try to complete glade events by fulfilling the conditions to get reputation, if it's an option.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah orders are nice to have but it's pretty common to win with 2-3 still left unfulfilled. Hell, there's even a whole map modifier where you get no orders.

---------------------------

Hell yeah DLC! Please be frogs please be frogs please be frogs

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm still on team Bat. Give me those cool lookin cyber bugs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

First of all, you don't need to complete all of your orders to win. Or any of them, really. Orders are just one way of gaining reputation, but you can also get it from high resolve. At higher difficulties, you need more reputation to win than you can get from orders, and there's also a map modifier that completely disables orders.

Second, there are lots of ways to get the resources you need, they just might not be available to you immediately. Unless it's a timed order, there's no reason you can't just let it sit until you can get some coal. You can produce it in kilns or brick ovens, mine it from deposits, buy it from traders, or get it from glade events. None of these are guaranteed, but it's very unlikely that you'll go through an entire map without finding any. And if you don't, it's just one order that you can't complete.

The most important thing about this game is being flexible and understanding your options.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Torrannor posted:

1.2 will bring us production/consumption trend windows,

graphs graphs graphs graphs graphs graphs

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
That sounds like something I will never ever use.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hef Deezy posted:

You can't rely on completing orders to win. It's common to not be able to do them all. Now's the time to learn how to manipulate resolve, which is usually how I win each settlement. Getting tool production/amber to buy tools is another way if you have a bunch of caches lying around. Also try to complete glade events by fulfilling the conditions to get reputation, if it's an option.

Yea, I mostly win using resolve, often not completing a few missions.

quote="Fister Roboto" post="537679142"]

Second, there are lots of ways to get the resources you need, they just might not be available to you immediately. Unless it's a timed order, there's no reason you can't just let it sit until you can get some coal. You can produce it in kilns or brick ovens, mine it from deposits, buy it from traders, or get it from glade events. None of these are guaranteed, but it's very unlikely that you'll go through an entire map without finding any. And if you don't, it's just one order that you can't complete.

The most important thing about this game is being flexible and understanding your options.
[/quote]

I mentioned that none of those options appeared. No Kiln, no mineable nodes, no merchents sold it, no caches, nothing. I had that issue with insects before as well. Its just annoying more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I mentioned that none of those options appeared. No Kiln, no mineable nodes, no merchents sold it, no caches, nothing. I had that issue with insects before as well. Its just annoying more than anything.

That sucks but the whole point of the game is dealing with what you're given. It's like a card game, you don't complain that you're not being dealt the cards that you want.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 9, 2024