Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Anyway Moana 2 was just announced

Honkys really need to give NZ back to the māori, they know what the gently caress is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The songs in Moana are pretty good tbh. Probably the only stuff of Lin Manuel Miranda’s I like. Especially the Jemaine Clement “Shiny” Bowie type tune

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

saw daughters of the dust (dir. julie dash) at the alamo

the film is based on the peazant family, a clan of gullah african-americans who lived off the land on saint simons island, off the coast of the southern US, in the early 20th century. featuring an ensemble cast, it relates the tale of a group within the family preparing to emigrate to the north while others stay behind, and the ensuing questions and conflicts that arise: new generations versus old, modernity versus tradition, paganism versus islam versus christianity, expectations of gender roles, the juxtaposition of forced migration with migration of choice, even homemade versus store-bought food.

early in the film, a black man foreign to the family shows his gullah native traveling companion an invention of the new world: a kaleidoscope. I think that serves as an apt synecdoche of the film itself; it's told somewhat nonlinearly, but the narrative, which at first appears to be disconnected conversations amongst family members punctuated by long nature scenes and small family interactions without discernable dialogue, reveals itself gradually to be a cornucopia of a cinematic experience. it's held together by an eclectic score which feels on the edge of overused and overwrought, but it really helps to suffuse the film with a common emotional core. the film is ultimately about longing: the longing for connection to a stolen past, the longing for a fruitful future for the next generation, the longing that there will be family no matter where you go who will remember your name and carry it forward, and of course, the longing that you'll get to see madame web in theaters february 14th

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

saw daughters of the dust (dir. julie dash) at the alamo

the film is based on the peazant family, a clan of gullah african-americans who lived off the land on saint simons island, off the coast of the southern US, in the early 20th century. featuring an ensemble cast, it relates the tale of a group within the family preparing to emigrate to the north while others stay behind, and the ensuing questions and conflicts that arise: new generations versus old, modernity versus tradition, paganism versus islam versus christianity, expectations of gender roles, the juxtaposition of forced migration with migration of choice, even homemade versus store-bought food.

early in the film, a black man foreign to the family shows his gullah native traveling companion an invention of the new world: a kaleidoscope. I think that serves as an apt synecdoche of the film itself; it's told somewhat nonlinearly, but the narrative, which at first appears to be disconnected conversations amongst family members punctuated by long nature scenes and small family interactions without discernable dialogue, reveals itself gradually to be a cornucopia of a cinematic experience. it's held together by an eclectic score which feels on the edge of overused and overwrought, but it really helps to suffuse the film with a common emotional core. the film is ultimately about longing: the longing for connection to a stolen past, the longing for a fruitful future for the next generation, the longing that there will be family no matter where you go who will remember your name and carry it forward, and of course, the longing that you'll get to see madame web in theaters february 14th

Sorry dude, that's when Madame Web comes out. I'm already camped out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

priznat posted:

The songs in Moana are pretty good tbh. Probably the only stuff of Lin Manuel Miranda’s I like. Especially the Jemaine Clement “Shiny” Bowie type tune

It's only like half Miranda anyway, they didn't really give him the reins yet on that one

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i hope zootopia 2 is a direct adaptation of the arbys edit of the abortion comic

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there's a sequence in the film where the matriarch of the family explains that keeping a mental record of your family line was not just to honor your ancestors, but a practical consideration: since slaves were bought, sold, moved around, separated and reunited, and forcefully bred, it was necessary to know whether or not you were related to the person your master wanted you to gently caress. this monologue is delivered as narration over a scene of her adult children and their children watching the sunset and counting stars on the beach

anyway madame web is a more dynamic character than we've seen before,

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lol. can you summarize?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Madames web?

Madame webs?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

of course I love the spiderverse movies, but I just wish they were a bit more grounded in reality

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I don’t think you realize what Madame Web means, you jokers

The whole hierarchy of power in the Sony Spider-Man Rogues Gallery Universe is changing

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

So after the Discord server screening I missed, on goon recommendation I grabbed 'My Science Project' (1985) and threw it on with a friend tonight expecting to bail on it. That was actually such a solid movie, we both had a blast with it. Legit belly laughs.

So it turns into a comedy just before the third act and the plot makes no sense, but how intentional were the parody aspects? Making fun of 80s tropes halfway through the 80s is wild to me. Anybody have any light to shed on this oddball flick that almost nobody has heard of (but now is a personal favorite of mine)?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Back to the Future, Explorers, Weird Science, Real Genius, and My Science Project all came out in the span of 5 weeks. My Science Project was the last of them to be released and probably got buried in that wake, but I remember watching it a couple times in the 80's.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I was going to treat my wife to a fancy restaurant for Valentine's Day, but now I'm thinking of taking her to see Madame Web and having movie theater hotdogs instead.

Thank you Sony Pictures.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Stink Billyums posted:

Back to the Future, Explorers, Weird Science, Real Genius, and My Science Project all came out in the span of 5 weeks. My Science Project was the last of them to be released and probably got buried in that wake, but I remember watching it a couple times in the 80's.

I vividly remember the exploded T-Rex guts from that

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Castor Poe posted:

I was going to treat my wife to a fancy restaurant for Valentine's Day, but now I'm thinking of taking her to see Madame Web and having movie theater hotdogs instead.

Thank you Sony Pictures.

Make sure you get her a bucket of Dune popcorn :wink:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Castor Poe posted:

Thank you Sony Pictures.

I hope she completely rinses you in the upcoming divorce suit.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

So after the Discord server screening I missed, on goon recommendation I grabbed 'My Science Project' (1985) and threw it on with a friend tonight expecting to bail on it. That was actually such a solid movie, we both had a blast with it. Legit belly laughs.

So it turns into a comedy just before the third act and the plot makes no sense, but how intentional were the parody aspects? Making fun of 80s tropes halfway through the 80s is wild to me. Anybody have any light to shed on this oddball flick that almost nobody has heard of (but now is a personal favorite of mine)?

a year before blue velvet my science project had dennis hopper sucking gas out of a tank

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel

Space Kablooey posted:

Lol. can you summarize?

He's against terrorists.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Stink Billyums posted:

Jesus, BTTF made almost $400 million on less than $20 mil budget.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Illmade posted:

He's against terrorists.

gently caress outta here

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mordja posted:

Jesus, BTTF made almost $400 million on less than $20 mil budget.

Despite being absolutely a product of the 80s it holds up amazingly well too, just a really great movie with a fantastic cast. One of those lightning in a bottle movies

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CaptainBeefart posted:

You should check out his activity on social media since October 7th lol.

It is much worse than I thought it would be!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also Chris Pratt's church, as previously mentioned, is a conversion therapy ("beating the gay outta the kids") church so he is absolutely endorsing them by specifically going to the gay hating church

So it's a little more complicated than this. Chris Pratt was accused of going to Hillsong Church, which does promote conversion therapy, but as far as anyone can tell he never attended Hillsong and he has denied ever attending there vociferously. He instead attends Zoe Church in Los Angeles. Now the founder of Zoe Church is linked to Hillsong and has said Hillsong inspired the creation of his own church, and he's been involved with a number of other anti-LGBT people and projects, but as far as anyone can tell the church itself doesn't openly take an anti-LGBT stance. Also Chris Pratt admits that he also goes to a Catholic church occasionally, as his wife is Catholic. He actually has indicated that he isn't very religious at all. And there are a lot of churches where if you engage with them on a surface level seem very accepting, but only once you cross a certain line do they show their true colors.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As said earlier Pratt’s biggest crime was doing Anna Faris dirty.

I think after GotG and it came out that she said she preferred it when he was a bit chubby instead of ripped, every male goon fell in love with her.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

poisonpill posted:

Make sure you get her a bucket of Dune popcorn :wink:

That's a great idea. Thank you.

Kingo Ligma posted:

I hope she completely rinses you in the upcoming divorce suit.

Wow.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Meanwhile away from DunC...

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1755352102191169870?t=CReJInl_SGFP8HOzu0niGg&s=19

Striking while the iron is ice cold after the series just loving died at the end.

If they released this poo poo like last year it might have gotten some traction, but 2026? Man that’s going to flop hard.

Mando is not even the main character of the show anymore and Grogu is basically just a prop to sell toys. They both ceased being at all interesting after season 2.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 8, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Castor Poe posted:

That's a great idea. Thank you.

"Put your right hand in the bucket.....I hold at your neck the gom jabbar. The gom jabbar, honey, the high-handed enemy. If you withdraw your hand from the popcorn bucket you die. This is the only rule. Keep your hand in the bucket and live. Withdraw it and die."

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

dreezy posted:

you know, i may feel sad a lot of the time, mired in a deep and persistent depression with a dim outlook on the future, but i experience a moment of pure joy when i hear that one stock squeaky door sound effect used in a movie. just heard it in last of the mohicans and for a brief moment i am happy

Squeaky_door.wav has a prominent appearance in American Fiction, and I lol'ed. It's loud and clear in the mix too, I can't believe they still do it. It's almost a punchline on its own.

Crowd_gasp.wav in Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person is a laugh too, but it's ever so slightly better mixed in.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sweet geek swag posted:

So it's a little more complicated than this. Chris Pratt was accused of going to Hillsong Church, which does promote conversion therapy, but as far as anyone can tell he never attended Hillsong and he has denied ever attending there vociferously. He instead attends Zoe Church in Los Angeles. Now the founder of Zoe Church is linked to Hillsong and has said Hillsong inspired the creation of his own church, and he's been involved with a number of other anti-LGBT people and projects, but as far as anyone can tell the church itself doesn't openly take an anti-LGBT stance. Also Chris Pratt admits that he also goes to a Catholic church occasionally, as his wife is Catholic. He actually has indicated that he isn't very religious at all. And there are a lot of churches where if you engage with them on a surface level seem very accepting, but only once you cross a certain line do they show their true colors.

Also, you can really never underestimate the ability of Evangelicals to seize upon any time a celebrity mentions church or Jesus and claim them as "one of us!" If there is one silver lining of the hyper-politicization over the last decade or so, it's that they're less eager to do this now. You have to release a country song about how much better the country used to be, coincidentally right around the same time you could own slaves, before they'll really accept you into the fold. Until then they'll still assume you're a liberal cuck who cannot be trusted.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

First of May posted:

Squeaky_door.wav has a prominent appearance in American Fiction, and I lol'ed. It's loud and clear in the mix too, I can't believe they still do it. It's almost a punchline on its own.

oh yeah I forgot about that

now that's best picture material

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

sweet geek swag posted:

We have to kill Chris Pratt, to be sure. Lest we wait until Chris Pratt destroys all the gays

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kETt59yn6A

The state of streaming originals...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Now on one hand, you're right, this is dogshit

On the other, is Sonic the Hedgehog and has Knuckles Hat from the lovely Sonic OVA from like 30+ years ago so it is actually arguably too respectful to its dogshit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

what.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm holding out for a gritty spongebob reboot starring idris elba

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The kids are clamoring to see Knuckles the Echidna battle Sandor "The Hound" Clegane.

mystes
May 31, 2006

True Detective Season 5: The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
we are drowning in worthless media, an attention economy fueled by endless consumption. subscribe, watch, react, engage, repeat. endless trash cannot sustain itself forever, can it?