Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Whelp I lost all interest in this, S1 was really lightning in a bottle, never to be recaptured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Fandom snowballing?

They want to make a game that'll be a big hit with streamers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole business plan is "let's do Lethal Company but underwater"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

General Battuta posted:

Hold tight, don't panic yet.

for new page

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I expect nothing less from the company that decided to focus on land traversal in their underwater exploration game expansion.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Tenebrais posted:

They want to make a game that'll be a big hit with streamers

Tbf, the only reason they didn't go bankrupt on the original is because the early access version took off with streamers. Youtubers getting spooked by Reapers are the only reason the company was solvent, so that sort of thing has always been part of what made the OG so good.

Live-service crap could kill it in the crib if it's bad though. Continuous updates to expand and refine content a la No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk are good, especially since they're moving to a real game engine. If it's just dailies and procgen crap for retention it'll be absolutely terrible. I don't trust Unknown Worlds to always make a good call, I still have hope becauze I can't see them making a boring bad call.

Hopefully they're taking lessons from Lethal Company wrt co-op. That could be really, really interesting if done right.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
RIP Subnautica

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So I guess that's modding out to

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, I will, but you can't deny (and you likely can't say a single thing publicly, so I understand) that this definitely doesn't sound good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If there already were some corporate schenanigans with some important people leaving and getting swapped out with Below Zero which dramatically shifted what that game was about, I wouldn't be surprised if enough people are gone that the company's not really in a position to understand the original's special sauce by now.

But Subnautica has such a strong vibe that I have to believe that somebody else will figure out how to do something similar even if they haven't yet figured out how.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, I will, but you can't deny (and you likely can't say a single thing publicly, so I understand) that this definitely doesn't sound good.

If I were a Subnautica fan I'd be crushed to hear this, but please just wait for UWE to say something. Remember that SN1 and BZ were in public live development for years. That's pretty easy to misinterpret as 'live service'.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm still hopeful but at the very least, someone should tell them those kinds of public statements are not the positive they expect them to be.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ll keep the faith for now, built in multiplayer from the start is very nice.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bhodi posted:

I'm still hopeful but at the very least, someone should tell them those kinds of public statements are not the positive they expect them to be.

Unfortunately, they’re usually not for us, they’re for shareholders…

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Even if you ignore the GaaS part, coop in a game where your isolation is the scariest and most compelling element?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Even if you ignore the GaaS part, coop in a game where your isolation is the scariest and most compelling element?

Alot of people really seem to like co-op. As long as it's not balanced around it that's fine with me tbh

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bifner McDoogle posted:

I don't trust Unknown Worlds

:hmmyes:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

MikeJF posted:

Co-op is by far the most requested feature, they would be stupid not to put it in the game now that they aren’t limited by the old engine.
Also, a lot of us don’t find the game particularly scary, or care about isolation.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Also it's very easy to not play coop.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean, I don't really care if it's a nice extra option, but if the game is substantially designed around being co-op as the primary type of play that's gonna annoy me.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Tbf, the only reason they didn't go bankrupt on the original is because the early access version took off with streamers. Youtubers getting spooked by Reapers are the only reason the company was solvent, so that sort of thing has always been part of what made the OG so good.

Live-service crap could kill it in the crib if it's bad though. Continuous updates to expand and refine content a la No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk are good, especially since they're moving to a real game engine. If it's just dailies and procgen crap for retention it'll be absolutely terrible. I don't trust Unknown Worlds to always make a good call, I still have hope becauze I can't see them making a boring bad call.

Hopefully they're taking lessons from Lethal Company wrt co-op. That could be really, really interesting if done right.

The one consistent thing Ive seen with most of Unknown World's games is that they are able to nail a tense and suspensful atmosphere.

Natural Selection is a PvP game but they still nailed the Aliens vibes you get when wandering down an empty corridor hoping a skulk wont jump out at you.

Im posting in the Subnautica thread so Im sure you all know how well they did the atmosphere for this game.

I dont trust UWE to not try to do everything themselves with way too little time and manpower (they made their own engine for NS2 which ran like poo poo for the first few months).

So imo a Lethal Company Subnautica would be amazing as long as they dont try to do story or shove too much technical crap into it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Tiny Timbs posted:

In an exciting twist on Subnautica’s unique form of underwater gameplay, players will be tasked with competing to be the last person swimming while they extract treasures from procedurally generated alien wrecks!

This game wouldn’t be nearly similar to Subnautica, but I think it could be a cool variation on battle royale games.

I’d probably like a version of it with authentic Subnautica aesthetics more than I’d like Subnautica 2 As A Service.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao my rear end off

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oasx posted:

Co-op is by far the most requested feature, they would be stupid not to put it in the game now that they aren’t limited by the old engine.
Also, a lot of us don’t find the game particularly scary, or care about isolation.

Yeah I think it’s a great thing to add, I just hope they do it in the “we added co-op to Subnautica” way and not the “we designed the game to be played by 4 people but also you can play alone” way.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
On one hand, I've always wondered what Subnautica would be like with another player.

On the other, I dunno what "live-service" might involve in this case and if it will ruin it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

TuxedoOrca posted:

On one hand, I've always wondered what Subnautica would be like with another player.

On the other, I dunno what "live-service" might involve in this case and if it will ruin it.

Reaper wears a Santa hat in the month of December

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Endless Trash posted:

Reaper wears a Santa hat in the month of December

I would be fine with that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only if accompanied by jingle bell sounds.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

caught one of you ripping off my joke and posting it to Reddit lmao

that’s SA original content and traced through blockchain

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bullet dodged?

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/an-update-about-the-next-subnautica/

Unknown Worlds posted:

Hello Subnauts,
A few of you noticed some information shared online by our publisher, KRAFTON 🕵
While some of the news is exciting, we’d like to clarify:

Early Access is not intended for release in 2024, but we plan to share a lot more information later this year!

In reference to “Games-as-a-Service,” we simply plan to continually update the game for many years to come, just like the previous two Subnautica games. Think our Early Access update model, expanded. No season passes. No battle passes. No subscription.

The game is not multiplayer-focused. Co-op will be an entirely optional way to play the game. You’ll be able to enjoy the game as a single-player.

As always, we are so proud and incredibly grateful to have such a passionate and engaged community, who love the Subnautica games deeply. 
Thanks for keeping an eye out for any news about our progress on the next game.
We’re so excited to show you what we’ve been working on and hope that you love it as much as we do.
– The Subnautica Team

I gotta say, this is making me :lol: at at least a few idiot youtubers who HAD to put out some video that's all "MICROTRANSACTIONS IN SUBNAUTICA?!?" already.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 8, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

There we go.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

But for the record I would’ve pwned all of you at the Cuddlefish Egg Hunt challenge

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 8, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I’m sure “games as a service” will be around the world before “literally the same as the first two games” puts on its coat

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
tbh I would've been happy enough with a season pass for expansions or something, I love Subnautica and I'm down to supporting them in exchange for the ability to scan new fish every three months lol

:aaaaa: I know there seemed to always be pernicious physics bugs with sufficiently big objects in the first few games but hopefully the switch to UE will let them focus on that too

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just don't want Wet Fortnite.

If an expansion pass or paid DLC comes out, I will buy it. We all will likely buy it.

I'm hoping that 'new planet' means that there are going to be just as wonderful and iconic fauna as 4546b.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Bullet dodged?

I gotta say, this is making me :lol: at at least a few idiot youtubers who HAD to put out some video that's all "MICROTRANSACTIONS IN SUBNAUTICA?!?" already.

Yeah, no surprises. Unknown Worlds makes some bizarre terrible decisions, but bizarre bad decisions are never as boring as "add GaaS mechanics".

Instead they come up with ideas like "what if instead dodging iconic Leviathan enemies that defined the first game, you were on land and had to dodge an Ice Worm that only comes out from pre-set areas and is easy to walk around?" or "instead of making the entire game, researching how an average player interacts with the game, and then hiring a writer to craft a plot that works with that framework let's write the story first, design the game, then completely replace the story near the end so nothing feels cohesive at all"

Though the most interesting decision was hiring a space alien who has never seen a human to design human character portraits for below zero. The pc, her sister and Margarite look great, but everyone else is from Insmouth or something., like their eyes are pointed in different directions and poo poo. They're scarier than the sea monsters and it really sticks out given how great the art direction is everywhere else.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bullet dodged?

That's a fast enough turnaround that I think the earlier statement might've been a genuine misunderstanding rather than a full evil corpo statement of intent that they're pivoting on. Especially since it's the publisher saying things that are more corpo talk that the developer is countermanding. I will be more optimistic about the coming game.

Still don't think your hopes should be too high about the next game fully capturing the vibe of the original, but that sure is a nice lookin' monster fish. I think its eye is under the mouth nestled between tooth-protrusions?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Yeah, no surprises. Unknown Worlds makes some bizarre terrible decisions, but bizarre bad decisions are never as boring as "add GaaS mechanics".

Instead they come up with ideas like "what if instead dodging iconic Leviathan enemies that defined the first game, you were on land and had to dodge an Ice Worm that only comes out from pre-set areas and is easy to walk around?" or "instead of making the entire game, researching how an average player interacts with the game, and then hiring a writer to craft a plot that works with that framework let's write the story first, design the game, then completely replace the story near the end so nothing feels cohesive at all"

Though the most interesting decision was hiring a space alien who has never seen a human to design human character portraits for below zero. The pc, her sister and Margarite look great, but everyone else is from Insmouth or something., like their eyes are pointed in different directions and poo poo. They're scarier than the sea monsters and it really sticks out given how great the art direction is everywhere else.

Below Zero still ended up being really good. It's worse than the main game in some ways, but in other ways better.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

Oasx posted:

Below Zero still ended up being really good. It's worse than the main game in some ways, but in other ways better.

I Agreed, though it may not seem like it. I did feel like it does a good job of escelating some of the underwater challenges, especially free diving. I also have to recognize that it's a much more stable experience.

It's just that every bad decision is pretty remarkable and definitely not the sign of a developer that likes to play it safe.

I really like the idea of co-op with in-game microphones like Lethal Company though. I don't get spooked by monsters much in these games, but talking to a friend and having their audio suddenly cut off would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tiny Timbs posted:

caught one of you ripping off my joke and posting it to Reddit lmao

that’s SA original content and traced through blockchain

Yeah I was bored, some people also have zero awareness of sarcasm.