Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got drawn into a scripted encounter with another miniboss but this time I was able to kill it, probably because there was more high ground for me to run around on. Also after I scanned to see what I could climb a ghost started tossing grenades and blood bags to me so I guess they're not all bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

If you have trigger buttons on your controller you can stop yourself from falling over :confused:

I have RSI, and holding two shoulder buttons down for most of a 60 hour game is not my idea of a good time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
You only need to hold them when running on foot with a mountain of cargo on your back, though

Definetly not "most of the game", in my experience

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv also use vehicles. Everywhere you can get on foot you can get on the bike

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 8, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Zero VGS posted:

I have RSI, and holding two shoulder buttons down for most of a 60 hour game is not my idea of a good time.

This is completely unnecessary tho. Triggers give you extra stability but its only meant to be used in particularly rough terrain like steep inclines. It also slows you down so its not "optimal".

Once you get familiar with the ingame physics and how Sam reacts to terrain you can mostly casually jog from A to B.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 8, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If you are only interested on casually exploring and watching the plot, playing on the easiest difficulty should be enough for that. The harder part still going to be dealing with BTs

And if you dont pile too much cargo on your back, or use vehicles, you hardly need to hold those buttons

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

WaltherFeng posted:

This is completely unnecessary tho. Triggers give you extra stability but its only meant to be used in particularly rough terrain like steep inclines. It also slows you down so its not "optimal".

Once you get familiar with the ingame physics and how Sam reacts to terrain you can mostly casually jog from A to B.

Yeah exactly. I only grip when I'm going down steep inclines or carrying very heavy loads over dodgy terrain.

But the other thing is you unlock vehicles pretty early and I spent most of the game (aside from like the mountains) on a bike or in a truck.

Christ, I think most of my early-mid game time was trying to steal trucks from MULEs so I could ferry stuff around more easily. Then I drove them into the fuckin ground since you can't repair them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah exactly. I only grip when I'm going down steep inclines or carrying very heavy loads over dodgy terrain.

But the other thing is you unlock vehicles pretty early and I spent most of the game (aside from like the mountains) on a bike or in a truck.

Christ, I think most of my early-mid game time was trying to steal trucks from MULEs so I could ferry stuff around more easily. Then I drove them into the fuckin ground since you can't repair them.

I climbed those mountains on a bike many times

edit: and yeah, I remember the first bike you get early game. Theres no place to fix it yet but I just didint want to leave it. Ended up finally wrecking it like 50m from that last city you go on the first map

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 8, 2024

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

theres also an extra layer of weirdness cause the actress cant speak english but they give her several monologs that she barrels through regardless, giving everything involved a very surreal quality.

that was so weird to me, picking a woman who clearly doesn’t speak english for a part involving lots and lots of dialogue in english. made me wonder if she’s particularly famous in japan or something, someone kojima wanted to add to his starfucking stable. google suggests she goes by mala morgan and she’s been in a few japanese movies since 2016. but the one most talked about - called red post on escher street, praised by film festival nerds, seems like something he’d like - came out after death stranding. I doubt he literally wanted to sleep with her, because that would make mads mikkelsen jealous. I feel like there must be more real-world context I’m missing, but maybe it’s simply that kojima wanted to have one of his famous friends know him from early in their career rather than later

anyway, eagerly awaiting more news about the sequel after that blast of a trailer. hopefully a pc port comes relatively soon after release because this game might be enough to make me spend money I shouldn’t on a ps5

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I never noticed that, probably because english is not my native language either

edit: also when you speak spanish or japanese or any other language than english, you are used to see people on american movies and TV pretending to speak that language when they clearly dont. Maybe Kojima was trying to bring you guys that experience

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 8, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i find that not holding the triggers is kinda beneficial?? it's a free brief speed boost as Sam trips on even grade, or a much longer speed boost sliding on his rear end downhill, all with zero damage to self or cargo as long as you hold the triggers before you stumble/slide too far. sometimes doing this i get free likes from BB too for toughing it out, the little sweetie :3:

(going uphill though, fingers glued to triggers. falling backwards is real bad news)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

apropos of nothing: the transporter trike is the best vehicle in the game and i'm real glad they added it in the DC

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Never even seen that one, musta been too busy ripping it up on my Norman Reedus’ Ride type.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

IIRC it's the four star unlock at Lake Knot, basically the standard trike plus an attached floating carrier. Owns if you aren't hauling a truck's worth of crap

Bonus points for being the perfect pizza delivery vehicle :v:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I never noticed that, probably because english is not my native language either

edit: also when you speak spanish or japanese or any other language than english, you are used to see people on american movies and TV pretending to speak that language when they clearly dont. Maybe Kojima was trying to bring you guys that experience

he's a loving genius

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Ciaphas posted:

IIRC it's the four star unlock at Lake Knot, basically the standard trike plus an attached floating carrier. Owns if you aren't hauling a truck's worth of crap

Bonus points for being the perfect pizza delivery vehicle :v:

Added bonus, with that floating carrier (or the personal ones) pull out your rope and try to use it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Slickdrac posted:

Added bonus, with that floating carrier (or the personal ones) pull out your rope and try to use it
I knew about that for the skateboards but you can do that for the trike transport too? That's neat. Seems less useful though, I can't think of a single time my trike cargo's been in any danger that a tie-down would help with (i once foolishly tried & failed to jump a red river without a ramp - in which case tying the cargo to the sunk bike would have been a bad thing anyway lol)

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Worst possible example to use considering that poo poo was incredible.

I don't know why people think all these idiosyncratic artists need to like, follow some industry standard line of editing and quality. These arguments read more like you want them to resort to pared down austerity where nothing is "cringe" or weird or off-putting or strange or awkward, but those things are worth having and not every single game designer or any other artist, really, needs to constantly abide by these "objective" standards that people constantly insist they need to have so that their game is a better, more cynical product that checks off all the boxes on a rubric called "Good Writing." It's dumb bullshit.

Just wanna say I appreciated this post, and recently have been thinking a lot about this. It sounds crazy when I talk about it to my other nerd friends, but I'm done with wanting art to match my preconceived notions of "good". If anything I think I'm being more "objective" by trying to enjoy art on its own terms.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Is there anything special to do to get the PC directors cut version's performance to not randomly crap out? 90% of the game runs perfectly, but it randomly gets super choppy, normally running into a town but sometimes without an obvious cause. Cutscenes seem to vary between 60+ fps and 20ish without a clear reason why too.

My PC isn't amazing but I feel like it should at least be a bit more consistent than it is. Playing the epic game store version on win10, r5 3600, 5700xt and 16gb of ram.

Edit, solved: For once one of those dumb youtube guides actually had the answer, resizeable BAR/sam was the issue, fixed by disabling smart access memory in the radeon software. Pretend I wrote something witty here about forming strands or something.

Mahatma-Squid fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 9, 2024

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
holy poo poo the music guy i totally missed in ds1 is back for ds2!!!! maybe this time you get a kazoo??

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've picked up the DC upgrade on sale, figured out how to import my save, and realized I have no idea what I was doing when I stopped playing :shepface:

I know I'm somewhere close to the final boss. Is there anything I should go back and do that was added in updates since PC launch, or in the DC? I know there was some Cyberpunk and Portal stuff added at some point, but other than that is there anything else?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Booty Pageant posted:

holy poo poo the music guy i totally missed in ds1 is back for ds2!!!! maybe this time you get a kazoo??

You'll be playing BB's Theme on a jaw harp. Binky boingy sploingy!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's the new HideoTube where they talk about DS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SegRMGH_K4

Some tidbits:

The person in the sarcophagus in the beginning is Elle Fanning's character

The ship, Magellan, is a mobile base you can summon to an area once it's connected to the chiral network

There are floods, forest fires and earthquakes that can occur which will affect the terrain and structures

Sam can take off his entire backpack now (presumably to be more mobile during combat)

Higgs will sing "a lot"

Kojima had the story for DS2 written prior to the pandemic, but rewrote the whole thing because of it

Also the Kojima documentary will be out on the 23rd on Disney+.

On the "next-gen" Action Espionage game, PHYSINT:

It will be a game, but also a movie "at the same time" whatever that means, but Kojima said, pretty amusingly, that "if your mother walks in and sees you playing this game, she'll think you're watching a movie."

He decided to make the game after years of people asking him to make another Metal Gear.

Kojima also gets a lot of offers from Hollywood to make movies but he's more interested in making games and has no plans to retire

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Kojima also gets a lot of offers from Hollywood to make movies but he's more interested in making games and has no plans to retire

Big "DJ Khaled Apple servers" energy in this one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Midjack posted:

Big "DJ Khaled Apple servers" energy in this one.

I don't get the reference?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't get the reference?

https://www.reddit.com/r/thatHappened/comments/1jkjn1/dj_khaled_makes_up_story_about_how_his_newest/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I for one 100% believe Kojima received movie making offers

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Haha! That's great!

However, I fully believe Kojima has had plenty of offers to make a film.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was up in the middle of the night and got partway through a mission in a crater before I decided to call it a night and save. This morning I find that the "save" is all the way back at the last settlement, so not happy about that. I'd prefer a game disable saving if it's not going to actually save your progress.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I was up in the middle of the night and got partway through a mission in a crater before I decided to call it a night and save. This morning I find that the "save" is all the way back at the last settlement, so not happy about that. I'd prefer a game disable saving if it's not going to actually save your progress.

That's actually kinda bizarre, I've found it to be very good about disabling the Save button as needed & reloading has always dropped me right back where I was

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Icedude posted:

I've picked up the DC upgrade on sale, figured out how to import my save, and realized I have no idea what I was doing when I stopped playing :shepface:

I know I'm somewhere close to the final boss. Is there anything I should go back and do that was added in updates since PC launch, or in the DC? I know there was some Cyberpunk and Portal stuff added at some point, but other than that is there anything else?
There's a bunch of new toys to gently caress around with, unlocked by a few different orders scattered about (like the weather station has a vog delivery to the distro center that unlocks jump ramps); There's a new highway running west from said distro center too. There's also a new side plot in the Eastern area starting with an order in the distro center there

(e) oh yeah and there's a racetrack with an unlockable Roadster by the timefall farm

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ciaphas posted:

(e) oh yeah and there's a racetrack with an unlockable Roadster by the timefall farm

Another thing I missed, it seems. I don’t remember that at all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sounds like someone needs to start a new save :twisted:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I definetely will

Lots o things mentioned itt I dont remember at all. I need to start a new game and this time resist the temptation of just riding the bike everywhere, like I did the first time

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I definetely will

Lots o things mentioned itt I dont remember at all. I need to start a new game and this time resist the temptation of just riding the bike everywhere, like I did the first time

Maybe this time you won't let The Elder die, maybe this time

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
my first playthru of DS was at launch; i went out of my way specifically to not get the directors cut when i grabbed this for pc (need sam to grip & rip them monster energy drinks babey) but that poo poo all sounds pretty sweet

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Despite my annoyance with the save thing this last stretch was pretty cool because I got jumped by a bunch of those stalker looking goons and took all of them out with my rope and suitcase bashing, and I picked up an exoskeleton so I can load up on more cargo.

I also ran into other porters, which was weird. One of them gave me a gift but I couldn't figure out how to do the same for them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thinking about it, I never fully understood how the “asynchronous multiplayer” part of the game works

I mean, we find structures and stuff built by other players, but who are they? Random players that went through the game in the past or people playing at the same time as you or what

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
basically: yes

i don't think anyone's analyzed the server communication but you run into stuff from people who haven't played in a year or two as well as stuff from people who have been playing in the last few days.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It depends at least partly on the likes they get, the structures that get the most likes are more likely to pop in people's games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I drove over a literal bridge to nowhere by someone with the username VOTE TRUMP 2020 in January 2021 which gave me a pretty good laugh