Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s also that Knuckles miniseries coming to Paramount Plus eventually though I’m not sure if we have a release date for that yet

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 2, 2024

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

In Shadow 2 Sega is finally going to let Shadow say the F word

Its fine, he can reclaim that one.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

In Shadow 2 Sega is finally going to let Shadow say the F word

He already has, though?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What's everyone's favorite of the genesis/32x spin-off games (i.e., Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, 3D Blast, and Chaotix)? My wife and I have been playing weekly games of MBM and it's fun as hell, but I think Spinball will always be my favorite because of the amazing soundtrack

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
SEGA actually managed to coordinate a game release with a movie release, I'm so proud of them.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

VikingofRock posted:

What's everyone's favorite of the genesis/32x spin-off games (i.e., Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, 3D Blast, and Chaotix)? My wife and I have been playing weekly games of MBM and it's fun as hell, but I think Spinball will always be my favorite because of the amazing soundtrack

Chaotix is the only one of those I never have played, but yeah I think its gotta be Spinball, the presentation on it was really great.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
I always thought 3D blast would be more fondly remembered if it wasn't a Sonic game. If you think of it as a sequel to Flicky, it'd be remembered as one of those hidden gem, not sure why it exists but whatever, 7/10 late console cycle games, and one with a weirdly good soundtrack. You could have justified slowing the character down a bit then as well, which would of helped fix the difficult slippery controls. Hell, still have Robotnik as the boss and special stages with Tails and Knuckles or whatever in it for a Sonic tie in, Flicky is basically a Sonic character anyway.

Mean Bean was the actually best game of the lot though. Spinball's first level is great and but it gets hard in a really frustrating way quickly after that, and Chaotix is just gobsmacking, bafflingly weird and bad. You can tell both of them were rushed out the door before they were close to ready.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Sonic Spinball makes the best use of the Genesis’ ability to make farty music.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I always thought 3D blast would be more fondly remembered if it wasn't a Sonic game. If you think of it as a sequel to Flicky, it'd be remembered as one of those hidden gem, not sure why it exists but whatever, 7/10 late console cycle games, and one with a weirdly good soundtrack. You could have justified slowing the character down a bit then as well, which would of helped fix the difficult slippery controls. Hell, still have Robotnik as the boss and special stages with Tails and Knuckles or whatever in it for a Sonic tie in, Flicky is basically a Sonic character anyway.

A lot of it is just it needs tuning as well. The Director's Cut is so much nicer to play and that's fully genesis console compatible. Retuning of the movement alone made such a difference.

list of the changes he made here

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40TJ3156G48

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i really like 3d blast because it's the only sonic game i could beat as a kid lol

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

There’s also that Knuckles miniseries coming to Paramount Plus eventually though I’m not sure if we have a release date for that yet

If this one ends up airing before movie 3, it would probably be a good opportunity for Sega to introduce some of the new supporting cast members who are going to appear in the movie. I'm thinking if they include her in STH3 (And they better, drat it!) it would be a perfect vehicle to introduce Rouge.

VikingofRock posted:

Mean Bean Machine is great, though mostly because Puyo Puyo was already a great puzzle series prior to the Sonic reskin
Spinball is a decent (If short) pinball game with some killer tunes, and probably the spin-off that feels most like a Sonic game, though the fact that it's the only Conic game that uses elements from the SATAM cartoon is kind of weird in hindsight.
3D Blast is a decent game for what it is, but definitely lives under the shadow of the Sonic IP.
Knuckles Chaotix has some awesome sprites and music but absolutely terrible gameplay that drags the game as a whole down.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

I think all the spinoffs having some sort of significant issue is part of the reason Sonic never totally could go toe to toe with Mario.

Spinball is kind of bullshit and not that fun after awhile, but the concept makes total sense for Sonic.
MBM is probably the best, but Puyo Puyo owns.
3D blast is way too slow and tedious for Sonic, but the presentation is nice.
Chaotix has a fun gimmick but the actual levels blow.
I will always have a soft spot for Sonic R, probably more than deserved, but you can see everything in the game within 2 hours.
Tails Adventure may be the best Sonic Game Gear-exclusive game!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the gameplay mechanics in chaotix are incredible, it's just that yeah the levels are terrible and don't really play to its strengths

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sonic fans keep winning
https://gonintendo.com/contents/31584-crush-40-s-live-learn-will-be-in-sonic-the-hedgehog-3

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh so this really is going to mostly be a SA2 adaptation (likely including Sonic getting arrested), maybe with a bit of CD thrown in if they plan on bringing Amy on board

Assuming Rouge is included I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out she’s been on earth about as long if not longer than Sonic has but was just a bit more subtle about it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 6, 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s insane how hype I am for a movie I know so little about like this

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/status/1755592327874379855?t=Oyfqa4eo6j9YY49DkT3yJw&s=19
Looks fun, I spotted the echidna chief from SA1 in one of the shots too.

They can gently caress off calling it a six episode "event" though, what the hell is that.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 8, 2024

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Looks on par with the movies, though it's really funny how hard it's retreading parts of Sonic's plot in these (to the point of joking about it), but with Knuckles. Fits the series I suppose :v:.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks fun so far, here’s a YouTube version of the trailer if anyone needs it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1kETt59yn6A

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

They should've called it & Knuckles.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

That actually looks really fun!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Looks fun, and I love that they gave Knuckles his OVA hat. Disappointed that there's apparently no sign of Rouge, this seems like it would be the perfect vehicle to introduce her to the movie-verse, especially in advance of the third movie.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm pretty sure "Event" in nu-tv parlance means it's getting 6 episodes and that's it, not gonna be a second season or anything.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Is that Kid Cudi? Rad.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
ESPN 8: The Ocho! It's back!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

I love Chaotix so much. It's terrible.

You guys should keep going with the Puyo games. MBM is a reskin of the first and each one adds a new mechanic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

You guys should keep going with the Puyo games. MBM is a reskin of the first and each one adds a new mechanic.

Speaking of, were MBM and Kirby’s Avalanche reskins of the same Puyo game out of curiosity?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

I didn't play any Puyo games between MBM and Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, but I liked it so much I immediately picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 and one of the other Puyo games that was on sale and played PPT1 right away.

Was not expecting to enjoy the art and humor so much.

Was also not expecting a puzzle game that looks like a Saturday Morning Cartoon to be easily the hardest game I played in the same year Elden Ring came out. The auto-difficulty is way too aggressive with balancing, especially since it assumes equal skill in Puyo and Tetris.

Wish Sonic got, like, a guest chapter in the story or something instead of just being in the multiplayer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That honestly looks awesome. I was expecting them to cheap out on the animation being a series but it just looks like the movies

Hell yeah!!!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, were MBM and Kirby’s Avalanche reskins of the same Puyo game out of curiosity?

Yes, kind of. They're based on different ports of Puyo Puyo 1. They don't have offsetting, the mechanic from 2 onwards where you can delay garbage about to fall by popping something. I've considered making a comprehensive Tetris + Puyo thread here but pretty sure it'd be a massive effort post with like two replies.

Arle Nadja has been throwing fireballs for more than 30 years now and she's still at it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

Kirby's Avalanche is a reskin of Super Puyo Puyo, which to my understanding is basically the same as the earlier Genesis one in all the meaningful ways, yeah.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

Is that Kid Cudi? Rad.

It is!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/frackdeals/status/1754934473333080406?s=46&t=aC3xEwDSiWtVIZrX3O1rbg

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Yes, kind of. They're based on different ports of Puyo Puyo 1. They don't have offsetting, the mechanic from 2 onwards where you can delay garbage about to fall by popping something. I've considered making a comprehensive Tetris + Puyo thread here but pretty sure it'd be a massive effort post with like two replies.

Arle Nadja has been throwing fireballs for more than 30 years now and she's still at it.

please do an effort post on how not to suck at puyo

genuinely asking, because i cannot comprehend how to do well at that game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Heran Bago posted:

draco centauros is #1 bishojou gao

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Have they said the name of the character that The Hound is playing yet? I hope that's Snively

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Haven’t seen the films but 10 year old me would have loved to see a movie based on SA2. I might have to watch them to see if it lives up to how I imagined it would be like.

Also, when characters in Puyo Puyo Tetris “fight”, how exactly are they doing it? In the Sonic Mania boss fight, it looks like you and Eggman are sitting in a machine and moving the pieces with an arcade stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The live action movies are surprisingly decent honestly (and I was ready to write off the first one the second we got the first summary), you should watch them