Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

The Gripper posted:

I've had the opposite experience to everyone else with Ultros I guess. The game looks great visually I can't deny that, but the writing is very bad and I hated it very much. With the psychedelic theme I expected more subtlety or weirdness but I can't describe the actual writing without feeling like I'm being mean to someone at their first job.

I was also not impressed by the combat and unless it materially changes further on I couldn't do an entire game of it, and had a bug on the boss that made me think I had to backtrack (door did not open).

I'm glad other people are enjoying it though!

yeah i agree, the visuals are great but it doesn't have anything else going for it unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Jossar posted:

... Aw, who am I kidding, what time I'm not spent reviewing new demos this week is gonna be devoted to Helldivers 2. But it's the thought that counts, right?

Alright, so if you hate nProtect GameGuard with a burning, fiery passion, I can understand why you don't want to play Helldivers 2. Everybody else just seems to be having a really bad first morning with server connection problems/CTDs or hates the Warbond (the go-at-your-own-pace Battle Pass) system for reasons that seem incomprehensible to me in 2024, given other games of this genre available on the market.

For anybody who hasn't been scared off by all that, you'll find a gloriously chaotic Starship Troopers-esque third person shooter which holds your life cheap compared to spreading LIBERTY across the galaxy, right down to other players shooting you in the face and killing you before you pop back into the map as a freshly decanted Helldiver. Or doing Dance Dance Revolution-input commands to drop an air-strike on your head. Or running off to complete a side-objective while you get outpaced by bugs and swarmed.

There are some worries that there might not be enough content to sustain long term play, but if so that's way off in the future: right now I'm having a blast as I scramble through the initial difficulty tiers working to unlock as many of the 9 that I can, unlocking new side-grade content from Warbonds and the Requisition store, and collecting samples on maps to upgrade my ship for better passive support.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 8, 2024

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Another soul about to get Moomin-minded.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
why aren't there any reviews for helldivers 2?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Rinkles posted:

why aren't there any reviews for helldivers 2?
never fails

If you mean why there aren't any large scale ones, game reviewers have been doing a few, but it's been strangely low publicity for some reason. Most were done back in private-sessions though, so doesn't reflect the server connection problems people have been having this morning.

EDIT: Here's some - https://www.ign.com/articles/helldivers-2-the-final-preview, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4c_Wu7u6I

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 8, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yeah but those are explicitly previews

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"never fails"

*posts a preview*

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
can you play helldivers 2 in single player at all?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

can you play helldivers 2 in single player at all?

Yes, but its designed for co-op. It is a very difficult game. You'll still be able to do some of the lower difficulties.
Not sure how enemy spawns scale, if at all

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Abiotic Factor is incredible

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What the gently caress is it with modern rpg shooters and thinking that 90 seconds is an acceptable base cooldown for your abilities?!
loving nothing should be having a 90s cooldown in an action game unless it's a screen clear of some sort, maybe.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 8, 2024

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

FutureCop posted:

Star Trucker - WOW

It's Euro Truck Simulator...in spaaaaaace!

Between this and Pacific Drive, we've got two great road-trip games that I'm looking forward to. As said, it's like Euro Truck Simulator and Elite Dangerous had a baby, with a little bit of Hardspace Shipbreaker on the side. You've got all the chill vibes of riding your truck to a destination while listening to the radio and getting certified to carry more specialized loads and go to dangerous territory, but now you've got the very complicated sci-fi driving interface, tricky docking/unloading procedures, and lots of maintenance for your vessel to contend with, where you need to replace batteries, air filters, or even grab your suit and step out the airlock into space to fix hull breaches on your truck. I died one time by forgetting to put my suit on before opening the air lock, and another time when I was replacing a circuit board for my faulty A/C unit but forget to turn off the circuit breaker first, causing my entire truck to power down and freeze me to death. I love this game, and that it trusted me enough to let me mess up!

From what they've said on discord, this is only a two person dev team, so it's pretty impressive what they've got cooking here. They also confirmed that some things like battery drain were cranked up for the demo to make sure players had a variety of things to do, so the final product may be a little more on the chill space trucking side. I really liked the demo (as someone with a ton of time in ATS/ETS2 and Elite:Dangerous).

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jack Trades posted:

What the gently caress is it with modern rpg shooters and thinking that 90 seconds is an acceptable base cooldown for your abilities?!
loving nothing should be having a 90s cooldown in an action game unless it's a screen clear of some sort, maybe.

Ooo, someones never cast an Enigma black hole

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jossar posted:

Everybody else just seems to be having a really bad first morning with server connection problems/CTDs or hates the Warbond (the go-at-your-own-pace Battle Pass) system for reasons that seem incomprehensible to me in 2024, given other games of this genre available on the market.
Something being a common practice does not make it acceptable.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

a7m2 posted:

Abiotic Factor is incredible

It's gonna be a hit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I want to run around and mindlessly explode dudes and pick up loot and not have to think too hard. I'd like to be some kind of ranged person, with bows/daggers/magic/etc.

Should I play:

- Titan Quest
- Diablo 2
- Path of Exile
- Grim Dawn
- Adventures of Van Helsing

e: I have previously played and enjoyed all of these

mystes
May 31, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want to run around and mindlessly explode dudes and pick up loot and not have to think too hard. I'd like to be some kind of ranged person, with bows/daggers/magic/etc.

Should I play:

- Titan Quest
- Diablo 2
- Path of Exile
- Grim Dawn

You're asking which game you've already played you should play right now? I don't know maybe try one of those d2 mods that goons are using but I'm just saying that because I have been thinking I should check that out

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd play Diablo 3 over any of those IMO and I actually like almost all of them

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Grim Dawn got a big patch a couple months ago

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grim Dawn's fun but Titan Quest is more fun, play it first.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

Should I play:

- Titan Quest
- Diablo 2
- Path of Exile
- Grim Dawn

Grim Dawn

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Diablo 2 is probably the most simple in regards to making an effective character, if you don’t want to think too hard about juggling stats and skills

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why does the farmbot in Lightyear Frontier fall over

why is it an unskippable cutscene

why does the tutorialbot say "OH MY STARS AND GARTERS" every single time

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 8, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

why does the farmbot in Farthest Frontier fall over

why is it an unskippable cutscene

why does the tutorialbot say "OH MY STARS AND GARTERS" every single time

Seems bad tbh

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That post made me very confused before you fixed it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I got my frontiers mixed up

Farthest Frontier does not appear to have robots

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

mystes posted:

You're asking which game you've already played you should play right now? I don't know maybe try one of those d2 mods that goons are using but I'm just saying that because I have been thinking I should check that out

Is there a list of these mods somewhere?

Also got it, thank you for the votes, Grim Dawn it is!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i always see the sa banner for this one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960054&pagenumber=14#post537240512

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you folks, I'm being too indecisive to pick any of my drat games and I want to unwind with something mindless and clicky.

e: Wow I haven't played Grim Dawn since 2020
Titan Quest was last touched in early 2023
Van Helsing in 2021
Path of Exile in 2022
and I don't even remember for Diablo, it's not in steam (I have the remastered version on bnet)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been playing the goon updated Eastern Sun for D2 over the last few days and it's very good.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a list of these mods somewhere?

Also got it, thank you for the votes, Grim Dawn it is!

I don't know when it's coming out but Grim Dawn is getting an expansion soon-ish. I'm going to run through it again when it does. Great game. Too bad it doesn't look great graphically.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grim Dawn: I think it looks really good, but I also think Titan Quest looks amazing, and my tolerance for graphics is super low, I love looking at little polygon worlds. :shobon:

Also I've made a new character, trying veteran difficulty, and I'm an oathkeeper, so I'm focusing on being Captain America With A Gun. Throw shield, shoot, throw shield, shoot!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Should I play:

- Titan Quest
- Diablo 2
- Path of Exile
- Grim Dawn

I love Titan Quest dearly

e: I think I've bitched about Grim Dawn before. The graphics aren't bad, but they're so *muddy*. My eyes are not great so maybe that's why, but when I try to imagine Grim Dawn all I can imagine is a sea of brownish fog.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I want to a play a big exploration kind of game. I was thinking maybe Outward, should I do that or is there something else in the "explore this big open world full of loot and stuff to kill" genre I should play?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cool Dad posted:

I want to a play a big exploration kind of game. I was thinking maybe Outward, should I do that or is there something else in the "explore this big open world full of loot and stuff to kill" genre I should play?

Elden Ring is one of the best 'explore this big open world full of loot and stuff to kill' games I can think of. I guess it does hinge on your tolerance for the difficulty though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Grim Dawn: I think it looks really good, but I also think Titan Quest looks amazing, and my tolerance for graphics is super low, I love looking at little polygon worlds. :shobon:

Also I've made a new character, trying veteran difficulty, and I'm an oathkeeper, so I'm focusing on being Captain America With A Gun. Throw shield, shoot, throw shield, shoot!

Titan Quest 2 is in development and im really excited for that!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

grim dawn is my 2nd fav ARPG, only just behind Diablo 2 but i have never been able to play a titan quest character for longer than 3 hours before getting bored, i dont get it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ShadowMar posted:

grim dawn is my 2nd fav ARPG, only just behind Diablo 2 but i have never been able to play a titan quest character for longer than 3 hours before getting bored, i dont get it

Titan Quest is just a really slow start.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Cool Dad posted:

I've been playing Gedonia lately for this. It is jank as gently caress because it's like a project done by one guy who clearly is not a native English speaker, but it's inexplicably managed to keep me hooked despite my usual tendency to bounce off games with poor English translations. I do advise that it's probably better to ignore the main story for as long as possible and gently caress around instead, since the main plot is just kinda... eh. (Also, it hits a MASSIVE difficulty wall at one point which if you are not playing a specialized build can be really frustrating.)

It does have a very small modding scene and is theoretically easy to mod too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ShadowMar posted:

Yeah, TQ combat is just really slow and mushy in my experience.