Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
It’s the production paradox: it’d be far better to remake Crusade with better CGI and less network sabotage, or remake Legend of the Rangers without the punchy weapons pod, but nobody is going to spend money to remake a failed show (yes, BSG, but the original show was initially a ratings hit until being counterprogrammed).

Conversely, there’s little reason to remake B5 in the sense that the original show succeeded, but that success is the best “argument” for a reboot. I do think there’s interesting stories to tell in this setting, but it’s unclear how much can get changed before the show stops feeling like B5. If you keep Sinclair, do you drop Sheridan entirely? How much is gained by making Ivanova-Talia a thing earlier and more explicitly? Do you drop the S5 telepath crisis plot entirely, especially if you have the chance to play it out with Ivanova and not Lyta? Do you keep the characters/cultures the same and just change the circumstances, or do you reimagine the Minbari (say) by having more prominent worker-caste characters in the story from the start?

Do you try having N’Grath again in S1? Do the Soul Hunters play a larger role or drop from the story? Do you delay the Shadows waking up and make that part of Sheridan’s story instead of having it be his off-screen wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They could even go with the original Sinclair plan to have the wife being taken by the Shadows be someone who was already introduced beforehand, raising the stakes.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I think you have a fundamental contradiction. If you're going to retell the story, then you tell the same story without radically altering it, similar to the way people recast and reinterpret Shakespeare plays without changing the lines. But going down paths they didn't go down because actors left means telling a new story, which is a fundamentally different thing than retelling. It's going to be a radically new story if you explore something huge like Sinclair leaving. Also a lot of good things came out of actors leaving, which you'd have to get rid of - General Hague being killed offscreen on his way to meet with Sheridan ratcheted the tension in the Earth civil war arc, which I think actually improved the series over what they would have done if the actor hadn't snubbed B5 for ST. Ivanova's contract dispute leading to her not being in S5 led to Lochley's entire appearance, while there are certainly things to criticize about S5 I think removing Lochley entirely would be a radical change taht wouldn't make things much better.

You also have the problem of trying to cast actors to fill roles that were largely great because of the original actor. Someone like Sheridan or Franklin is easy to recast - I like both actors and their performance, but someone else could easily play the commander struggling with how to respond to a corrupt government then leading an alliance, or a doctor struggling with stim addiction and bad medical ethics. But trying to recast Londo and J'kar would likely lead to failure IMO, what makes those two entertaining is a lot of specific things about their performance, and I think it would be really hard to catch that same magic again.

Narsham posted:

It’s the production paradox: it’d be far better to remake Crusade with better CGI and less network sabotage, or remake Legend of the Rangers without the punchy weapons pod, but nobody is going to spend money to remake a failed show (yes, BSG, but the original show was initially a ratings hit until being counterprogrammed).

I think JMS had an easy scapegoat in being able to cry 'network sabotage' about Crusade. I thought crusade had some fundamental issues that can't be blamed on network sabotage(the 'look we have the 4 basic D&D classes represented' schtick made me roll my eyes, for example) and Legend of the Rangers had even more ('why did the organization dedicated to being invisible and gathering information suddenly decide on a no-retreat policy'). Things really came together well for B5, but I think that Crusade and LOTR demonstrate that there's no guarantee that a series will be good just because JMS has a free hand in doing it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't think a reboot is usually conceived as retelling the same story with different actors.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How could Garibaldi's story have aued out differently if his hair didn't walk off set.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
Worth remembering that JMS has said a few times now that he's not looking to just tell the story again. According to him, he's interested in exploring the same themes in the same setting, but not planning on taking the same paths. There's a bunch of different ways that could end up, but people worrying about Kosh this or Delenn that might be getting a bit too specific. There may not even be Shadows and Vorlons. The concept of a space station being the focal point of universe-defining events in the face of an overwhelming status quo could go a number of ways.

That does raise another question of why even make a reboot then, why not just make a new show. I dunno. Depends how much of the setting he wants to use, and there is always going to be a boost from old fans.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would rather JMS just make an entirely new sci-fi space drama that is a whole new universe and characters.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Trouble is that a lot of his non-Babylon 5 work has (on the whole) not been well received.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I will give you a steely glare for the honor of Ninja Assassin.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what's weird I'm noticing on rewatch is there being no regular character whose job is "fixing poo poo". It's just really rare that you wouldn't have a character like that.

I guess your don't have a mechanic character in something like The West Wing but it would be fun if you did

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, true. I never thought of the fact that there wasn't a Chief Tyrol/Scotty/Geordi on B5 when I was watching it. That duty usually fell to Garibaldi, iirc.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah, true. I never thought of the fact that there wasn't a Chief Tyrol/Scotty/Geordi on B5 when I was watching it. That duty usually fell to Garibaldi, iirc.

I think a lot of that is that b5 is a science fiction show where none of the characters are interested in doing science. That is to say, there’s really no element of exploration in any of what our principals are ever doing. And once you remove that element, the job of “station repairman” becomes a lot less interesting, because it means that character basically only ever exists to solve a weekly macguffin as needed.

In B5, the plot is never about the station being somehow broken down or malfunctioning or defective. Occasionally that comes up to complicate some other situation, but that’s about it. The show is too busy making plots about other things to waste a weekly filler episode on That Time The Atmosphere in the Alien Sector turned to Chlorine, or “the Day The Station Stopped Spinning” and the heroic efforts of the engineer who fixed the gravity by strapping a giant magnet to a white star and flying it in circles around the station or whatever.

It just kind of becomes extraneous.

DS9 got around this by making the engineer our Regular Guy NCO stand in, and by really pushing the frontier elements of DS9 sitting on the wormhole to unknown space, but it isn’t actually a problem that needs solving, unless you’re trying (as DS9 did), to plug a square starship crew peg into a round station crew hull. You can in fact have the maintenance and operations staff be faceless extras.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 8, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that Franklin as another technical job that doesn't often really have much bearing on the politics of the day already struggles to make his way into episodes, to the point that it makes me wonder why it's such a regular fixture for Star Trek to always have a doctor character.

Technically Ivanova would probably be the fixing-things person, since she's the one in charge of all day to day station operations of the station, and the show seldom dips into the particulars of her day to day when there's not something else coming up. It'd probably take the form of her ordering around a lot of unnamed extras plus Corwin. I think that may even be one of the things that the pilot movie set itself to do more with that just got kind dropped, there was some kind of scene with Takashima ordering around a bunch of people around to maneuver the station when it was in distress.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I will give you a steely glare for the honor of Ninja Assassin.

Assassin, of ninjas

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that Franklin as another technical job that doesn't often really have much bearing on the politics of the day already struggles to make his way into episodes, to the point that it makes me wonder why it's such a regular fixture for Star Trek to always have a doctor character.

I feel that a bunch of sci-fi shows, both Star Trek and otherwise, have found themselves stuck with a doctor character more because McCoy was such an integral part of the original series than because the show actually needs one, and a failure to realize that McCoy's role isn't to be 'the doctor', it's to be the down-to-earth regular guy.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's a pretty solid read. That would make Garibaldi the McCoy of B5, which I think actually fits extremely well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Q_res posted:

That's a pretty solid read. That would make Garibaldi the McCoy of B5, which I think actually fits extremely well.

Good grief, that's a take. McCoy and Spock in Trek were explicitly created to be voices of human compassion and pure reason sitting on Kirk's shoulders to inform his decisions. If there's one thing that Garibaldi isn't, it's compassionate - or logical, for that matter.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Compassion specifically, no, but I was looking at it from his more adversarial interactions with Spock. They're both emotionally driven, argumentative everymen that are very sure about how right they are.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

One thing I've noticed in this watch through is that there are a lot of Minbari in the background wearing orange and grey jumpsuits. They're presumably worker caste but I don't think that's ever stated, or why there's so many working on B5.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I didn't notice that, is it in S1-2 or just from S3 onward where B5 is independent? It would make sense if B5 cut off from Earth (and later independent from Earth) hired Minbari workers or Minbar/Delenn sent them as a favore. IIRC there weren't any aliens striking in the Dockworker's strike episode in S1, if it wasn't an all or mostly human operation from the start you'd expect to see some non-humans there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Worker Caste will presumably be along for the ride with Minbari trade vessels, as well as being attached to the diplomatic mission

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I didn't notice that, is it in S1-2 or just from S3 onward where B5 is independent? It would make sense if B5 cut off from Earth (and later independent from Earth) hired Minbari workers or Minbar/Delenn sent them as a favore. IIRC there weren't any aliens striking in the Dockworker's strike episode in S1, if it wasn't an all or mostly human operation from the start you'd expect to see some non-humans there.

I'm currently watching season one. Just watched Deathwalker and one of the people looking on as Nathoth thrashes her is a Minbari in an orange and grey jumpsuit. There were a few in nearly episode before that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

I feel that a bunch of sci-fi shows, both Star Trek and otherwise, have found themselves stuck with a doctor character more because McCoy was such an integral part of the original series than because the show actually needs one, and a failure to realize that McCoy's role isn't to be 'the doctor', it's to be the down-to-earth regular guy.

Stephen has a decent character arc, but it all pays off with the line "this is the kind of conversation that can only end in a gunshot"

And it just makes sense that a big space station would have a medical unit, people tend to get stabbed or shot there all the freaking time!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Jedit posted:

Good grief, that's a take. McCoy and Spock in Trek were explicitly created to be voices of human compassion and pure reason sitting on Kirk's shoulders to inform his decisions. If there's one thing that Garibaldi isn't, it's compassionate - or logical, for that matter.

the split in B5 is more idealism vs. pragmatism, Sheridan's got people like Delenn and Lorien on one shoulder encouraging him to listen to prophecy and fight the war in the heavens, and Garibaldi and Ivanova on the other shoulder reminding him of all the little people living their daily lives on B5

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 8, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Worker caste, religious caste, warrior caste, the truth is all the Minbari extras are straight out of the central caste

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

You could do a show like B5 without a doctor in the central cast, but I think you'd have to go out of your way to do it. You definitely need some kind of medical establishment on a city of a quarter million people that is also a trade hub that invites traders with unfamiliar biology who have been to unusual places, plus it's also a military base that does combat operations. Since it's a dramatic TV show, the main characters are going to have medical issues that need treatment, military operations are going to include more 'we've got to save him' moments than in real life, and the diplomats and visitors are going to have injuries and/or medical issues. Since there are aliens, you are going to need someone to study and discuss alien anatomy and biology at some point. Some plot lines directly need a doctor, like the curing/execution machine or examining the 'telepaths rigged to pilot shadow ships'. It's possible to do those with guest star doctors and background staff, but I think those stories and situations all work better with a recurring doctor in the main cast.

On a side note, it's interesting to me that some people on here say that B5 has US-style healthcare, because I don't think that's actually the case. We see that B5's medical facilities charge money to foreigners, but pretty much every medical system does that - if you're going to a European country with UHC and you're not from there (or somewhere that has a reciprocal treaty), you're going to pay to have an operation. They don't treat lurkers for free (we see Franklin diverting supplies for unofficial free clinics), but my read is that lurkers are basically 'illegal immigrants who can't actually be deported'. We don't see any of the things I'd consider US-specific - none of the medical facilities are portrayed as for profit, insurance is never mentioned, and when bills are mentioned they're something affordable that can be reasonably paid rather than exorbitant things that have to be negotiated down. Notably during the S1 episode on labor relations where dockworkers are on strike, medical coverage isn't part of what is mentioned in the negotiations AFAIR, while health plans are basically always part of major US union negotiations.

My read is that B5 offers free (or 'token charge') healthcare to permanent legal residents and possibly diplomats (it's either free or it quietly bills their government), and charges reasonable (not modern-US-style inflated) prices for anyone traveling through or deliberately seeking treatment (like the family in Believers). Lurkers aren't considered legal residents so aren't eligible for regular treatment, and have to rely on underground help like Franklin's free clinics.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

One thing I've noticed in this watch through is that there are a lot of Minbari in the background wearing orange and grey jumpsuits. They're presumably worker caste but I don't think that's ever stated, or why there's so many working on B5.

You know, for as long as I've been a fan of the show I don't think I've ever noticed this before, and I can't search up an image. Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot? I'm very curious, given that otherwise the Minbari Worker Caste gets nearly completely ignored up until the civil war arc.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Worker Caste will presumably be along for the ride with Minbari trade vessels, as well as being attached to the diplomatic mission

Trade probably falls into their area of responsibility, exports goods and resources that they have an excess of to gain currency that can be used to alleviate resource shortfalls through imports. It's certainly more their area than it is the area of the Warrior or Religious castes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How many votes on the grey counsel do the landlord caste get, because I have some tenants in the Euphrates sector who are starting to piss me off

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The church has been historically one of the biggest landowners, so 3->2 as the series progresses

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You know what's weird I'm noticing on rewatch is there being no regular character whose job is "fixing poo poo". It's just really rare that you wouldn't have a character like that.

I guess your don't have a mechanic character in something like The West Wing but it would be fun if you did

We just had like one episode that was about that janitor in season 5. I really liked that one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I said come in! posted:

We just had like one episode that was about that janitor in season 5. I really liked that one.

It gets a bit starry eyed at the end, but yeah me too

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Yeah, I can agree with it getting too hero-worship-y at the end, but I also really liked that one. Also I remember liking Byron's little bit in it even though I'm usually not a fan of him.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You know, for as long as I've been a fan of the show I don't think I've ever noticed this before, and I can't search up an image. Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot? I'm very curious, given that otherwise the Minbari Worker Caste gets nearly completely ignored up until the civil war arc.

Okay so looking more closely it's less of a jumpsuit and more of an apron. There's more of them in previous episodes too.

Edit:

From Mind War, and a second one passes by a couple of seconds later but I can't get a good screenshot of them.

From Parliament of Dreams

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 8, 2024

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Okay so looking more closely it's less of a jumpsuit and more of an apron. There's more of them in previous episodes too.

Edit:

From Mind War, and a second one passes by a couple of seconds later but I can't get a good screenshot of them.

Yeah, i think those are less B5 dockworkers/maintenance guys, and more “Minbari freighter crew passing through customs”, but, regardless, definitely worker caste.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There are some Minbari in the Transport Pilots Association (s03e03 cold open).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Minbari were part of the Babylon project so I don't think it's super weird to think there'd be worker caste as part of the station crew.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I'm always impressed with how well the outfits fit into the world while on close examination clearly being made on the cheap and not tailored to one person. That 'apron' is clearly adjustable and looks to be something mass produced (maybe a real world protective apron) over what looks like a dyed-orange karate gi, but in shot it definitely reads as some kind of Minbari working outfit.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Not having enough budget for "world building" is good - the viewer is given glimpses of things that are part of the setting but not important to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Edit:

Thank you!