Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Poil posted:

I don't know what to think and/or feel about the whole thing anymore. :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V2mJGY06zg

Proper Finns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIdH28QExQc&t=355s

The exact issue I said at launch.

MikeC posted:

Finally, with so many knobs with so many knockon effects, it is very difficult to tell what is working and what is not. Can I not get my lvl 5 residential because something is not calculated right? Is it working as intended and I not solving a legitimate problem due to lack of information? Or is this tiny part of simulation just not tuned right and if they try to adjust it, what knock on effects are there since everything is so interconnected.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Biffa and CPP Phil have been explaining why they're speaking out about the game now (Reddit via PDX forum):

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/biffa-i-have-some-things-i-need-to-say-about-cities-skylines-2.1623411/post-29398854

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/biffa-i-have-some-things-i-need-to-say-about-cities-skylines-2.1623411/post-29398857

How long are CO going to hold out until they crack and start increasing the patch release cadence I wonder?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The official C:S youtube account posted a video today on "Designing Modern Chinese-styled City Blocks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgYE0P-CKV4

As the fella says, it focuses mainly on the road design, and there's only brief shots of actual buildings in this city.

Why would that be--oh right because there's so few assets and no asset editor so the Chinese-styled city just looks like a faux-American city with a slightly different road layout, right. The road design is the only thing someone could do to make it seem more "Chinese". Hilarious.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Biffa and CPP Phil have been explaining why they're speaking out about the game now (Reddit via PDX forum):

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/biffa-i-have-some-things-i-need-to-say-about-cities-skylines-2.1623411/post-29398854

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/biffa-i-have-some-things-i-need-to-say-about-cities-skylines-2.1623411/post-29398857

How long are CO going to hold out until they crack and start increasing the patch release cadence I wonder?

Considering how hosed the game was at launch, they both come across like rubes for believing that the game was one patch away from being good

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Tarnop posted:

Considering how hosed the game was at launch, they both come across like rubes for believing that the game was one patch away from being good

As a general rule, gamers = rubes. hth

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

As a general rule, gamers = rubes. hth

citation: the fact people still preorder games

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tarnop posted:

I mean, its hard to remember this now but before launch CO had a lot of good will with the whole community, especially the content creators. It was a fair bit naive but I can't blame them for believing them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tarnop posted:

Paradox Development Studios is infamous for doing stuff like this. Idk what the best examples are but Stellaris has had multiple examples of a giant DLC/patch release that changes the entire way the game is played but is completely broken then a week later it’s playable and “ok” and perhaps 6 weeks after that another patch comes out and you completely forget what you were angry about.

Though, again with stellaris there was an entire year where large/huge galaxies were kinda unplayable after the change from tiles to pops…

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-12.1623714/

I don't think Mariina's heart is in these WotWs - "phoned it in" barely covers the level of disinterestedness evident in the latest one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think you're maybe reading a bit too much into the WotW, it reads fine to me.

It's an unenviable position to be writing weekly updates about a game series a lot of people are not happy with. I don't think they should be groveling at our feet and cutting to the chase is better than a bunch of unnecessary fluff telling us how sorry they are.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah that read fine. Bit dry but fine, just what I'd expect from that kind of post.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Pretty lame WotW, but that's to be expected. Doesn't say anything, but they can't say anything because it'll just take time for them to do the things they should have launched with, so all they can do is explain how the game works.

Would be nice if the game explained how the game worked, but hey, I'm not sure if they're capable of achieving that anymore.

Only interesting part for me is this post by the modder of Info Loom, the mod that exposes way more of the games internals to the UI so you stop being driven insane by having no idea what is happening in the game.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-12.1623714/post-29405140 posted:

Accidentaly, I was digging into profitability logic only yesterday. This description is very shallow and inprecise, I am really starting to wonder if you actually know what you implemented and how it works. As a test, maybe you should try to explain why oh why virtually ALL companies have maximum profitability of 255? You can easily check it in DeveloperInfo. Really, I was browsing my city of 65k, that has like 500 companies, and I wasn't able to find a single company with profitability less than 255.

So, let's look into the code. m_Profitability is kept in Profitability component and updated in 3 jobs, each for a specific type if company (commercial, industry and extractor). For simplicity let's focus on industrial i.e. IndustrialAISystem.CompanyAITickJob.
The formula is simple:
m_Profitability = (byte)math.min(255f, math.max(0f, 127f + (num - (float)rent) / (float)(8 * building.m_LotSize.x * building.m_LotSize.y)))
num is DailyProfit, rent is well Rent.
So, yes technically Profitability depends on many factors you mentioned, but this formula clearly shows that its philosphy and meaning is different. It basically says if you earn more than rent or not... <127 means less then Rent, >127 means more than Rent.

Then, you should probably also explain why is Profitability actually calculated at all? We have a number that noone knows what it means and where is it actually used?
And here is the funny part - not counting UI and serialization, there is literally one place where it is used - PropertyRenterSystem.PayRentJob. It influences how much Rent is paid.
(int)((float)num3 * (1f + (float)(math.max(spawnableBuildingData.m_Level - 1, 0) * m_Profitabilities[renter].m_Profitability) / 255f));

This formula basically makes companies pay more Rent that is actually required. Why? Idk. But this is one of the reasons of quick leveling and Land Value problems. Company with profitability 0 (which means it cannot even earn Rent) still pays that Rent, ok, but company with Profitability 255 pays N-times more. So, the higher level, the more rent it pays thus speeding up leveling even more.

You have a lot of work ahead of you, redesign and proper balancing of this stuff is certainly not easy. Good luck.

and from another post by them on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/1ap0pef/co_word_of_the_week_12/kq5ftw0/ posted:

Haha, that was actually why I was investigating this topic in the first place. Yes, I managed to tweak some params to lower profitabilities and the average land value actually started to decrease. Very slowly. However, this was just the first attempt, very rough, some companies started to have trouble to actually pay rent and went bankrupt.

Only furthering my suspicion that the simulation behind the game is just designed poorly and CO doesn't really know what they're trying to achieve.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

What is this, Victoria 2?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

What is this, Victoria 2?

Hopefully it’s more like CK2 so they can just hire whoever makes the best overhaul mod to become the game director.

To continue this analogy, any volunteers?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
CPP Phil is officially back to doing CS1 videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVqEo5SmpI&t=93s

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Entropic posted:

CPP Phil is officially back to doing CS1 videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVqEo5SmpI&t=93s

Always good to see a new CPP CS1 vid... meanwhile, Cities by Diana is NOT letting the whole CS2 shambles go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okfbGauK_-E

TLDW: she's mightily hacked off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In other news, apparently DLL modding for SimCity 4 has been figured out and there's a lot of stuff being worked on. There's a beta for new building themes, and some of the modders think they can actually alter the game to be much more stable and run better on modern hardware.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

In other news, apparently DLL modding for SimCity 4 has been figured out and there's a lot of stuff being worked on. There's a beta for new building themes, and some of the modders think they can actually alter the game to be much more stable and run better on modern hardware.

I want this to be true so, so badly

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grand Fromage posted:

If they can finally get neighbor connections to be less of a pain in the rear end cross-region then hell yeah

I still like SC3K more but it's pretty dated now in comparison

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Steam has most (all?) the cities 1 DLCs on sale for 50% right now.

Im sure there is no correlation with CS2 falling apart!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Grand Fromage posted:

O poo poo :staredog:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The problem nearly all of these city builders have is that the forces that cause a city to rise and fall are regional and global. Without these forces acting on the city, its got no geographical reason to exist and no economic logic for why it would grow and change. This is one of the reasons why I don't understand the "I want a failure state the game is too easy" comments leveled at these games over the years. Absent the other factors, there is no failure state. Sim City 4 maybe came the closest to this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't want a failure state so much as a failed city state lol

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

The problem nearly all of these city builders have is that the forces that cause a city to rise and fall are regional and global. Without these forces acting on the city, its got no geographical reason to exist and no economic logic for why it would grow and change. This is one of the reasons why I don't understand the "I want a failure state the game is too easy" comments leveled at these games over the years. Absent the other factors, there is no failure state. Sim City 4 maybe came the closest to this.

Kind of building off of this I swear it’s why I latched so heavily onto Workers and Resources. Because there’s specific spots for natural resources and relatively strict “rules” for how far you can transport workers, so if you want to get a huge workforce to a mine, you have a certain range that a city has to exist in and pollution limiting the closeness. Now that you have that city it needs supporting goods and services that you want to build or need to import, creating further constraints and needs for infrastructure and robust systems of transport, etc. It all spirals very nicely and gives you the right thrust of why things have to be a certain way, even if that “certain way” is still pretty broad. The coal is here->I want that coal out of the ground is enough to kick off a cycle that a hundred hours later I’m still going “Okay well because the coal is over there this is a good location for the steel mill.”

SimCity and Skylines are great but I’ve never once gotten that spark because the game’s main approach is “what if you built enough suburbs that it turned into a city.” I was hoping Skylines 2 was going to have a robust enough economy/production that it would start to push toward what I’m describing but obviously it’s hosed and broken. I think if I had to redesign skylines at a conceptual level I’d have the player pick first some raison d’etre before they put down a single road. It doesn’t have to be resource extraction, but if you pick say, tourism, you start by the beach or river or mountains and get some resort or park “industry” that needs to be fed workers and such by a town. You could even still pick some kind of heavy or advanced industry, but then it would have to go near to the existing interstate, or whatever.

Once you start from that it makes the city a lot more believable, especially if you are relatively anchored to that for the early build up. Now you are spreading out from a logical spot and have to face the challenges of wanting to build around that anchoring thing, or if you want your high rise downtown elsewhere, you have to live with everyone still wanting to use/work at that anchoring thing. Down the line you let players add more - maybe even relatively early on giving them disparate plots of land and letting them only build roads on the ones in between. This city started as a farming town, but now I have a food processing complex that wants to be near the river/highway elsewhere. Now I have two cities, one “supporting” each - and suddenly now there’s this sort of natural demand and desire between the two. Maybe that’s a great place for the university - and what do you know, those bougie fucks want a tram and a river walk park…

You can see where I’m going. I get that a lot of YouTubers do these sorts of narratives for their series and that technically I can still follow this in the game more or less, but there’s no feedback and nothing in a game system that makes this approach want to happen. I don’t need the strict W&R “if you don’t get workers making coal to feed the power plant you’ll kill everyone,” but there has to be some level of like, “restriction” that the game’s systems build and enforce.

I don’t want a “fail state” as much as I just want way more Cities and way less Skylines, if you’ll allow me to use the title as a lovely figurative device.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Grand Fromage posted:

lol if people can take a 20 year old game and mod it down to an even deeper level than they already were and do all of this before CS2 can get to proper 1.0 status.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

RBA Starblade posted:

If they can finally get neighbor connections to be less of a pain in the rear end cross-region then hell yeah

NAM already makes commuting work better since sims will travel across multiple city tiles if you provide fast transit options. The circular commuter bug seems fiendishly difficult to fix, that's actually one area where having agents would help since you could make it that sims can't commute back to their original city. I dunno. This stuff is all way beyond my understanding, if they could get rid of that issue that would be amazing. It's not that hard to design your region around it, it'd be nice to not have to though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grand Fromage posted:

NAM already makes commuting work better since sims will travel across multiple city tiles if you provide fast transit options. The circular commuter bug seems fiendishly difficult to fix, that's actually one area where having agents would help since you could make it that sims can't commute back to their original city. I dunno. This stuff is all way beyond my understanding, if they could get rid of that issue that would be amazing. It's not that hard to design your region around it, it'd be nice to not have to though.

I actually meant neighbor deals, my mistake lol

The game just routinely forgets, lots of fiddling back and forth, etc. NAM's great definitely though despite that longstanding bug from vanilla

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Anime Store Adventure posted:

You can see where I’m going. I get that a lot of YouTubers do these sorts of narratives for their series and that technically I can still follow this in the game more or less, but there’s no feedback and nothing in a game system that makes this approach want to happen. I don’t need the strict W&R “if you don’t get workers making coal to feed the power plant you’ll kill everyone,” but there has to be some level of like, “restriction” that the game’s systems build and enforce.

I'm happy to have both extremes, honestly - one satisfies my "wouldn't it be cool if the Roman legions established a camp here by the ford across this river and 2,000 years later it had become Castleford or Pontefract" urge, while the other satisfies my "wouldn't it be cool if my entire republic was one giant self-sufficient factory and who cares about the plebs" thing.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh gently caress yes new building themes would own so hard.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

skooma512 posted:

lol if people can take a 20 year old game and mod it down to an even deeper level than they already were and do all of this before CS2 can get to proper 1.0 status.

Extremely funny if we look back on CS2 with utmost fondness because it sparked The Great SC4 Renaissance.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Skylines 1 base game is outselling Skylines 2 on steam by nearly 3 to 1.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Skylines 1 base game is outselling Skylines 2 on steam by nearly 3 to 1.

They had a good sale on. What a sad state of affairs.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Count Roland posted:

They had a good sale on. What a sad state of affairs.

I'm so glad I waited before buying SC2. They should have just continued and bloated up SC1 to the point that 15min loading screens had to be turned into clicker minigames like was done with sims 3.

I understand rebooting game and putting everyone on the DLC treadmill afresh works for other game types where customers grow into or out of them, but city planning game players dont need change, they just need a biannual supplemental and for their grandkids to make less noise when they visit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, Skylines 1 had some pretty fatal gaps that needed plugging and that were fundamental enough you couldn't do it with DLC, they just kinda aimed too far.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Eh, Skylines 1 had some pretty fatal gaps that needed plugging and that were fundamental enough you couldn't do it with DLC, they just kinda aimed too far.

those gaps were there on purpose because they didn't want the game to have anything remotely approaching difficulty in the simulation. it doesn't seem like they learned their lesson very well

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Short PCGamer article about the new developments in SC4 modding: https://www.pcgamer.com/simcity-4-modders-are-cracking-its-deepest-recesses-in-ever-grear-numbers-enabling-extensive-new-changes/

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Mariina's back with the latest dictated WotW:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-13.1624532/

It seems Paradox are trying to bore the angry backers into submission with increasingly dull screeds on bits of the simulation no one asked about, or particularly cares about, because they're so obvious or have already been explained away by talented amateurs.

She does pop up in the comments (twice so far!) and takes on some points but she's sticking to the line that they're the victims in this:

quote:

I fear we've been a situation where we are damned if we do and damned if we don't when it comes to the communication with the community. We will not subject our personnel to any form of abuse and in the current climate it's very difficult for us to have interaction that is not overwhelmingly stressful. Therefore I asked for civility and we all saw how that went. We are doing our best and we'll just have to wait and get the results in the game to get passed this. It will take the time it takes as unfortunately there's no way to speed things up more than we already have.

There's some other stuff, and it's clearly thin-skinned spiky Mariina popping up in the thread and not the Paradox chat bot who wrote the WotW this week and last, but ultimately this is just another sad nothing burger of a WotW.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

That's the most nothingburger WotW ever, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Paradox has become a nothingburger company, and apparently dragged CO along, so that's only to be expected.