Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Okay, talk to me Goose; Lili some bullshit.

It feels but probably isn't true that all of her goddamn flips and fast kicks and all that are ridiculously safe/hard to punish because of their block push back or how far away she ends up at the end of a string. Surely it can't be as safe as it looks and the pause in her triple back flip between hit 2 and 3 can't be the only punish. What do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

havent played since tekken 2 so i got kind of proud of myself when i got a 5 game win streak as king carried my arthritic rear end into the greens

then i met an actual king player who seemed to put me in every grab as if to say "this could be you if you didn't suck"

did have a couple who barely beat me and then denied the rematch, cant tell if thats because they hate king or my king specifically. taking it as a compliment.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Orv posted:

It feels but probably isn't true that all of her goddamn flips and fast kicks and all that are ridiculously safe/hard to punish because of their block push back or how far away she ends up at the end of a string. Surely it can't be as safe as it looks and the pause in her triple back flip between hit 2 and 3 can't be the only punish. What do?

Use the replay review system to figure out exactly which of those you can interrupt or punish

Orv
May 4, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

Use the replay review system to figure out exactly which of those you can interrupt or punish

...Right, right yeah that would be a really good idea. Fuckin' idiot I am.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Orv posted:

All those Lili strings are generally very weak to sidestep

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

That's a good cue for me to ask; when is it a good idea to sidestep? I understand there are moves that track sidestep and those that don't, and some attacks hit to the side in only one direction. But I'm not sure when to deliberately sidestep (I assume it's some sort of educated guess?) - and also, if I'm right, I shouldn't be sidestepping right next to the opponent if they're in neutral since most moves are going to hit anyway it feels?

Like I see people doing dash in/out and sidestepping and looping them and that looks effective. But I'm not sure when to raw sidestep, if ever. Or reasons to do one over the other.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

unattended spaghetti posted:

Hell yeah this is what I was after. There's clearly conventions, even though it might not seem like it at first look. Calibur was kinda like that too. And when I see slow start-up I tend to think more punishable, rather than less. Obviously there's no replacement for just checking the frames but I only do that when I'm brick walled since I prefer just screwing around and getting a feel. Thanks for the info.

For a quick reference this doc I lifted from a post a couple pages back is pretty invaluable and being updated, all characters have their punishers listed by frames in their own section and you can just do a string in practice to see how - something is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...v/pubhtml?pli=1

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

great big cardboard tube posted:

For a quick reference this doc I lifted from a post a couple pages back is pretty invaluable and being updated, all characters have their punishers listed by frames in their own section and you can just do a string in practice to see how - something is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...v/pubhtml?pli=1

:hmmyes:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I am here!

Still stuck at the customization boss. Pretty happy about that All Might though. I'll have to pick up Jack once I can leave Nina for two minutes without forgetting her combos.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Lili enjoyers of the thread, there's a new Tekken8 doc in town. It's made for all players in mind and explains everything from top 15 moves, general gameplan, dew glide mechanics, and more. I posted a bunch of Lili stuff way back so I figured I'd toss this up in here too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OkeLh1RVCHqwOWwEGk8vIDb3EjQ0GsyyyGMxH7_Rz70/

Hope it helps!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Is there some hidden delay to tying two buttons to the side buttons (LT, RT ir LB, RB) or is my xbox controller just bad? For some reason perfect hits almost never register unless I press the two buttons manually in a combo.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eggrolled posted:

Lili enjoyers of the thread, there's a new Tekken8 doc in town. It's made for all players in mind and explains everything from top 15 moves, general gameplan, dew glide mechanics, and more. I posted a bunch of Lili stuff way back so I figured I'd toss this up in here too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OkeLh1RVCHqwOWwEGk8vIDb3EjQ0GsyyyGMxH7_Rz70/

Hope it helps!

This guide is super helpful, thanks!

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Artelier posted:

That's a good cue for me to ask; when is it a good idea to sidestep? I understand there are moves that track sidestep and those that don't, and some attacks hit to the side in only one direction. But I'm not sure when to deliberately sidestep (I assume it's some sort of educated guess?) - and also, if I'm right, I shouldn't be sidestepping right next to the opponent if they're in neutral since most moves are going to hit anyway it feels?

Like I see people doing dash in/out and sidestepping and looping them and that looks effective. But I'm not sure when to raw sidestep, if ever. Or reasons to do one over the other.

Aris talks about how to integrate movement into your gameplay here (starts with back dashing to illustrate): https://youtu.be/hJEJ8PJXoaM?si=pXptBDpLT91tVLYQ

Now here's a shorter vid from him about how to do use sidesteps: https://youtu.be/ncCRFrZeAXY?si=Tx9uVnfNeFOKrnol

When you have a better idea of how to do it in conjunction with moves, PhiDX talks about sidestepping in neutral in combination with attack timings: https://youtu.be/FV4fEGGNm60?si=ASBIsWnxhypczqTH

e: One more video that goes more in depth to mechanics: https://youtu.be/cv2yYnQi5i4?si=XxU2oXQV27ostppk

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 8, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How do I get a consistent EWGF on a PS5 controller? I spent a little time in practice last night and I only ever do it by accident, and very rarely at that. Couldn't even figure out how to practice getting better at it, cause it just never comes out.

And while I'm at it, is doing f, qcf, f, qcf the best way to practice wavedashing? That one seemed to work a little better than the EWGF at least.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
You spend weeks practicing. It's one of the hardest moves in all fighting games.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Phenotype posted:

How do I get a consistent EWGF on a PS5 controller? I spent a little time in practice last night and I only ever do it by accident, and very rarely at that. Couldn't even figure out how to practice getting better at it, cause it just never comes out.

And while I'm at it, is doing f, qcf, f, qcf the best way to practice wavedashing? That one seemed to work a little better than the EWGF at least.

f,qcf, f,qcf _is_ the wavedash; a wave dash consists of a f,n,d,df crouchdash input, followed by a dash cancel, followed by another crouchdash input--where you can use the last input of the dash as the start of the new crouchdash. Practice in slow motion, speed is bad for internalization.

You get a consistent EWGF by practicing daily, for a few weeks to a few months, in slow motion. Making sure that you pay full attention to the feeling of synchronizing your fingers, paying attention to the frame display to see how you need to correct your synchronization. Break the motion into pieces if you have to: d to df+2, then n, d,df+2, etc. A lot of people find it helpful to bind 2+3 to the left shoulder button and use that instead of their regular 2. Your mileage may vary here, I personally find it easier to just sync up my thumbs.

You always practice slowly, and with full attention, making sure you correct any mistakes attentively. Practice in short bouts, beyond 10 minutes has severe diminishing returns on the learning process and also risks fatigue and overburdening (even injury: if you experience any strain or discomfort during practice, stop immediately for the day). Make sure you sleep well (a big chunk of internalization is finalized during sleeping).

Edit: Don't forget to practice on both sides, splitting your practice time between them.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 8, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Why do they make "one of the hardest moves in all fighting games" a key mechanic for all of the title characters :(

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Why do they make "one of the hardest moves in all fighting games" a key mechanic for all of the title characters :(

It's a 3D fighter tradition

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Phenotype posted:

It used to be a secret move: a better version of the regular wgf that you might see accidentally but only a few knew how to do for real. Of course, over the years most legacy players learned about it and how to do it, and you can't have a move that is just better, become semi-common, and not balance around it. This coincided with the trend in fighting games of designing characters that were balanced for "experts" and those that were more beginner friendly. A trend that has remained fairly popular over the years. And thus the current state of the EWGF.

Should be noted that though Jin benefits from his electric, he isn't quite balanced around it like the others, making him a bit of a in between character that can service both ends of the spectrum.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Not for the first time, I'm struck by the sheer gulf in talent between playing a game online versus playing against your buddies. We played a TON of T4 and TTT when I was in college, and there was only one guy that could ever take a game off of me once in a while when I was playing Jin or Steve, and I could match anyone else with another half-dozen characters in the roster (including One-Handed Bear, where I held a joint in my right hand and just used PPP and KKK mapped to the left triggers).

And then you go online in TYOOL 2024 and it's just expected for you to have some giant combos and wavedashing and EWGFs once you get past the noob levels. I think my biggest combo back then was Jin's 1-2-3-4 after a juggle lol.

It's a little disappointing! Is Steve any less demanding in terms of mechanics? He was my other main back then, although it doesn't feel right to play him unless I hold the controller in my left hand and use my index+middle finger to hit the buttons.

e: and okay, now I finally understand why I see all those dudes on Scrub Quotes who get all pissy "yeah I plugged i aint trying to play your sweaty rear end, y'all are ruining the game" because they're going through the exact same thing lol. Thinking "Okay I can trash my friends but I can't accept there's a whole huge game out there that none of us were really trying that hard to master"

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 8, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Phenotype posted:

Not for the first time, I'm struck by the sheer gulf in talent between playing a game online versus playing against your buddies. We played a TON of T4 and TTT when I was in college, and there was only one guy that could ever take a game off of me once in a while when I was playing Jin or Steve, and I could match anyone else with another half-dozen characters in the roster (including One-Handed Bear, where I held a joint in my right hand and just used PPP and KKK mapped to the left triggers).

And then you go online in TYOOL 2024 and it's just expected for you to have some giant combos and wavedashing and EWGFs once you get past the noob levels. I think my biggest combo back then was Jin's 1-2-3-4 after a juggle lol.

It's a little disappointing! Is Steve any less demanding in terms of mechanics? He was my other main back then, although it doesn't feel right to play him unless I hold the controller in my left hand and use my index+middle finger to hit the buttons.

Steve is still regarded as a difficult character to pick up yeah

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Like most games of this kind (fighting, RTS, etc) you generally have a layer of people who are playing for fun, then a layer of people who learned One Weird Trick and cheeses the gently caress out of it until they find someone who can counter them, and then past that it gets into people who actually sit down and practice which turns matches into several descending layers of Hell.

Imo it's perfectly fine to just be scrubby if that's what you find fun and yell at the screen about whatever bullshit you perceive, despite the e-bushido in the FGC. But if you do want to get better then it's just a matter of learing to embrace the L.

Like I played SF6 a lot and ended up just burning out on it because I got into the third level for a while and ended up just not feeling like I have the mental energy to spend all night getting my rear end kicked, so I just didn't play at all.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 8, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT49KdOjfbI

This video is great, reallllly helping me understand what I actually need to think about when doing combos, rather than just learning some routes and doing that forever

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I fuckin suck but i'm having a blast having epic, win/lose by the skin of my teeth battles against other idiot scrubs online

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Speaking of scrubby bullshit, you wanna know how to tilt someone? A neutral df1 looped until they either step it, duck it, or jab it. I've always been the scrub in Tekken, still am in fact, but my God it feels good to be on the other side of the knowledge check.

All I'm trying to learn right now is when to press and when to wait. There's so many God drat strings I swear. Getting it but it is quite the process. I'm not even launching rn. Combos aren't hard per se, but learning the movement and punishment seems a better use of my time right now.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 8, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Phenotype posted:

Two things. As a pad player, get a fight pad. I have an xb1 Era hori commander and it's way better than any standard pad to play fgs with. Also yeah what the other guy said. Don't expect to consistently pull off the hardest moves and or combos in a decades old fighting game series in 2 weeks.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Speaking of scrubby bullshit, you wanna know how to tilt someone? A neutral df1 looped until they either step it, duck it, or jab it. I've always been the scrub in Tekken, still am in fact, but my God it feels good to be on the other side of the knowledge check.

All I'm trying to learn right now is when to press and when to wait. There's so many God drat strings I swear. Getting it but it is quite the process. I'm not even launching rn. Combos aren't hard per se, but learning the movement and punishment seems a better use of my time right now.

df1 is a mid for most characters, you cant duck it

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Pockyless posted:

df1 is a mid for most characters, you cant duck it

Lol even better. I really wish they'd have actually done something of substance with the accessibility options in this. My eyes are bad enough that I can only really learn heights by trial and error. SF6 has an option to play a sound corresponding to height and I miss it. I have eaten a lot of low launchers, let me tell ya.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kantesu posted:

It's a 3D fighter tradition

God, compared to Akira in VF, Mishimas have it easy

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Two things. As a pad player, get a fight pad. I have an xb1 Era hori commander and it's way better than any standard pad to play fgs with. Also yeah what the other guy said. Don't expect to consistently pull off the hardest moves and or combos in a decades old fighting game series in 2 weeks.

What's a fight pad?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

spiritual bypass posted:

What's a fight pad?

Not much, what's a fight pad with you? :v:

They're usually just controllers with all the face buttons accessible on the front and a different layout. Hori FC for example looks like this: https://stores.horiusa.com/fighting-commander-octa-for-playstation-5/

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Phenotype posted:

e: and okay, now I finally understand why I see all those dudes on Scrub Quotes who get all pissy "yeah I plugged i aint trying to play your sweaty rear end, y'all are ruining the game" because they're going through the exact same thing lol. Thinking "Okay I can trash my friends but I can't accept there's a whole huge game out there that none of us were really trying that hard to master"

Even worse is when you get back together with your buddies it becomes completely impossible to play fighting games because now you're a crazed online player who can't help but completely annihilate them before they can press any buttons. You are forever banished to the online world now. :smith:

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Not much, what's a fight pad with you? :v:

They're usually just controllers with all the face buttons accessible on the front and a different layout. Hori FC for example looks like this: https://stores.horiusa.com/fighting-commander-octa-for-playstation-5/

TY for this, i have struggled with PS5 controller to get DF to register properly despite never having this problem on any previous Tekken game.

Since patch I am having a lot of D/C games :(.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man, I finally got fully through the video I linked up thread from superakouma and it really did explain the combo system really well

I was struggling to figure out where to apply heat stuff in a match, now I got some stuff to play around with. Also the wall explanation really helped me understand what I'm looking for in getting them to the wall

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

You can progress quite a bit just by doing jabs, df1, a fast low, launcher and a sub-optimal combo. Add a fast punisher. Then maybe add some backdashes or sidesteps if you're feeling frisky!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man, I finally got fully through the video I linked up thread from superakouma and it really did explain the combo system really well

I was struggling to figure out where to apply heat stuff in a match, now I got some stuff to play around with. Also the wall explanation really helped me understand what I'm looking for in getting them to the wall

The good thing about watching Superakouma in Tekken 8 is that he's also learning to play Tekken for the first time.

Niche joke for Tekken 7 heads.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Hey is there a way to make your side alternate every time you reset in practice mode?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

The good thing about watching Superakouma in Tekken 8 is that he's also learning to play Tekken for the first time.

Niche joke for Tekken 7 heads.

Where's your focus attacks now!?!?

Lili players, do you have weird issues with the Tekken Library route of uf+3 > df+2~B > BT3,4 > b1,4 T! > ender?

Some part of it is really tight and I'm not sure where I'm losing too much height to get the b1,4; I could just do something easier but it bugs me that it drops

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Where's your focus attacks now!?!?

Lili players, do you have weird issues with the Tekken Library route of uf+3 > df+2~B > BT3,4 > b1,4 T! > ender?

Some part of it is really tight and I'm not sure where I'm losing too much height to get the b1,4; I could just do something easier but it bugs me that it drops

I found that going from BT3,4 was really unstable for a lot of characters even of off df2, especially if they're just like, a teeny bit off axis. I think that' why the uf3 starter is particularly bad since it makes them go a little off axis. It was also driving me crazy on like day 1 since I was also going off the excel sheet and could hit it consistently on like Kazuya in training mode but on Jun it'd only work like 1/10th of the time.

Now my staple combo is just

launcher > df2, f2,3, ff3 ~f3 T! > ender

edit: Oh yeah, LooneyLili's combo video also points out that BT,34, b1~f~3T! will drop on off axis so I assume it's a similar thing with the 1,4 tornado https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdAKorYPgHg&t=32s

MelancholyMark fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm glad 2d characters are gone from tekken but im also a hypocrite because the Geese release was super hype and it was fun to use him a bit and see him transferred to a 3d game. I would like a as Tekken x SF like was rumored at some point (in 3d, not like the already released 2d sf x tekken) as long as they give the tekken cast a bit of 2d bullshit as well.