Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard all the new MI movies praised a lot, but I dunno. Neither the original nor GP did much for me at all.

When my wife and I went through them all this past year, this is how we ranked them:

I would say that the newest one in the series, Dead Reckoning, is a solid 4/5. I really enjoyed it, but not nearly to the highs of the prior films.

Also I agree with others, if you are going to watch Tom Cruise films, you need to watch Interview with a Vampire.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Peccadillo posted:

Think It was the first major motion picture shot on digital

28 Days Later has it beat by years.

therattle posted:

I just listened to an interview with him to check and he isn't super fluent and articulate but there is some substance and thought to what he is saying. He's no Paul Giamatti or PSH (where they are/were clearly highly intelligent men) but I don't think he's a fool.

It's a meme that he's illiterate, which I think started as a fan theory that his character in Burn After Reading was illiterate and that spread to "Brad's such a method actor he actually couldn't read when he shot Burn After Reading."

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I assume Alan Cumming is all classically shakespeare trained and stuff and that's great but i can't look at him without thinking of his extremely grating role as "i'm invincible!" guy in Goldeneye

I don’t know if I’ll ever see him as anything but Flippity Floop or whatever from Spy Kids

Punkin Spunkin posted:

my childhood (see also Titus,

uh

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Titus the movie by Julie Taymor? Rules. Titus the TV show by Christopher Titus? Also rules.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I don’t know if I’ll ever see him as anything but Flippity Floop or whatever from Spy Kids

uh
I was exposed to a lot of age inappropriate "artistic intellectual film" pretty quickly tbh :shrug: my dad snuck me into The Brown Bunny when I was like 16 (tbf we had no idea what it was gonna be, the poster just said like "THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL FILM IN AMERICA"). Watching Visitor Q and Irrerversible with my parents have to be the most uncomfortable film experiences of all time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was exposed to a lot of age inappropriate "artistic intellectual film" pretty quickly tbh :shrug: my dad snuck me into The Brown Bunny when I was like 16 (tbf we had no idea what it was gonna be, the poster just said like "THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL FILM IN AMERICA"). Watching Visitor Q and Irrerversible with my parents have to be the most uncomfortable film experiences of all time.

uhhhhhh

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I cannot in good faith say the best George C Scott performance was Dr Strangelove. There's just so much shouting goodness to be had in his career. It's gotta be Exorcist III for me but there's a lot of runners up.

Famously Kubrick tricked him into giving that performance. He didn't want to go that broad but Kubrick said he do it just for rehearsal and that the shouting parts wouldn't make it into the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Famously Kubrick tricked him into giving that performance. He didn't want to go that broad but Kubrick said he do it just for rehearsal and that the shouting parts wouldn't make it into the movie.

the part where he trips and tumbles and just keeps going is so good

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

seeking out aggressively transgressive material on your own as a teenager seems normal but having your parents do it for you just comes off as strange to me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Coaaab posted:

seeking out aggressively transgressive material on your own as a teenager seems normal but having your parents do it for you just comes off as strange to me

not everyone's parents are super protective/consider teenagers children

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It was a bit of both, stuff like Visitor Q and Irreversible were just vaguely transgressive things I sought out as a tween/teen where I didn't really know what the experience was gonna be and my parents were just opened minded enough to be like "hmm you got some 'high art' films let's watch em together". My dad's favorite directors are Pasolini and Gaspar Noe though :shrug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I should rewatch Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat/All You Need Is Kill sometime, that's also a pretty good Tom

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My mom can't handle any form of violence in movies or TV. She'll hold her hands over her eyes for even a mild fight scene and if the baddies are hurting the good guy she'll loudly call them "bastards" for doing so. However she let me watch whatever I wanted from an early age, when I started actively seeking that sort of thing out, as long as I aware that it was all make-belief.

My favorite movies when I was 8 or 9 were Spawn and The Long Kiss Goodnight.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 8, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol,just imagining your mum watching The Raid and screaming "STOP IT YOU BASTARDS!!" the entire runtime

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

therattle posted:

I just listened to an interview with him to check and he isn't super fluent and articulate but there is some substance and thought to what he is saying. He's no Paul Giamatti or PSH (where they are/were clearly highly intelligent men) but I don't think he's a fool.

poo poo now I gotta explain its a joke from other CineD threads.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Collateral was a mix of film and digital. I haven’t seen it in forever but I vaguely recall the picture quality being terrible sometimes and it was really jarring when they swapped

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Even his bad movies Cruise has almost never turned in a bad performance. Valkyrie is one of the only times where he personally is really falling flat but I do think he was attempting something different (this stoic, staid performance that just doesn't work). The Mummy also just a big mess all around.

In Lions for Lambs, Cruise and Streep's scenes are the best parts of the movie bar none. Rock of Ages is dumb as poo poo but he absolutely kills it in his scenes.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DeimosRising posted:

not everyone's parents are super protective/consider teenagers children
I suppose it feels like one thing for parents to let go of their supervisory role and let their children explore, it feels like a step further for the parents to enthusiastically wade through the uncomfortable violence with them as a bonding activity. maybe coming from a protective background myself, it's unusual but i ain't judging it (in fact, I may be a bit jealous)

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I haven't dared rewatch it lest I ruin the memory, but I remember being surprisingly captivated by Legends of the Fall when I randomly caught it on TV a decade or two ago. How much that was because of or in spite of Brad Pitts acting abilities at the time I couldn't say, but I certainly enjoyed it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Also I agree with others, if you are going to watch Tom Cruise films, you need to watch Interview with a Vampire.

Oh I've seen it and I love it. Cruise was so good. The entire main trio of him, Pitt, and Dunst were perfect.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it's interview with THE vampire

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

it's interview with THE vampire

Dracula?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
THE interview FOR a vampire.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
LinkedIn Connection With The Vampire

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Cruise may be a loving weirdo, but I also have massive respect for him for his angry Covid rant. But I'm also sensitive to that because I spent a couple years working as covid compliance on sets and there are certain groups that are just loving terrible with following the rules and guidelines. So his rant ended up being very cathartic to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mordiceius posted:

Cruise may be a loving weirdo, but I also have massive respect for him for his angry Covid rant. But I'm also sensitive to that because I spent a couple years working as covid compliance on sets and there are certain groups that are just loving terrible with following the rules and guidelines. So his rant ended up being very cathartic to me.

What about his "let's pretend COVID isn't a thing and go out to the movies again, let's all go see TENET!" commercial?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I’m less enthusiastic about this because it was almost certainly a controlled leak by either Paramount or the CoS.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I love movies. I also like not risking my health while COVID is still around, so I wear an N95 and glasses to the theater.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

NikkolasKing posted:

So Tom Cruise is possibly my favorite living, big time actor. Not the best actor ever but I've never been disappointed by a performance from him, even if he's in a meh movie.

Anyway, I'm setting out to watch all movies with him. I'm not going in any real order, although multiple lists I've consulted say Magnolia is the best.

I don't have anything to add to Cruisechat but I just got really nostalgic here because like 15 years ago I underwent a similar challenge on this here forums to watch every single Nicolas Cage movie, and even though I failed, the resulting writing I did about it literally changed my life and set forth a long series of events, including moving across the country, taking a new job, and essentially building my life as it is now. Godspeed to you.

Did you all know that Netflix has a new Dreamworks childrens movie out called Orion and the Dark starring Paul Walter Houser and written by... Charlie Kaufman?

I do not know what kind of child this appeals to but I sure liked it. It's rare to see children's media that respects the child and isn't afraid to get a little heavy or use unusual storytelling techniques. Our protagonist is definitely a kid written by Kaufman: deeply neurotic and anxious, maybe even a little unlikable because of the extremity of those qualities. And that's okay, because sometimes kids are neurotic little shits! The world is scary to kids!

The character designs are fun and interesting, the closest compaison might be like a muppety take on Pixar's Inside Out. In fact the whole movie is like a more experimental, interesting Inside Out. Pixar wishes they had the balls to introduce kids to the concepts of Baudrillard.

It is a weird little collaboration, I might compare it to Peanuts in that it's filled with children expressing adult angst - which also means it gets a little cutsie as Kaufman uses kids as his hopeful mouthpiece. But overall I think it's a good movie and you should look at it just because it's weird that it exists?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

poo poo now I gotta explain its a joke from other CineD threads.

Explain it! That always makes jokes funnier.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

My mom can't handle any form of violence in movies or TV. She'll hold her hands over her eyes for even a mild fight scene and if the baddies are hurting the good guy she'll loudly call them "bastards" for doing so. However she let me watch whatever I wanted from an early age, when I started actively seeking that sort of thing out, as long as I aware that it was all make-belief.

My favorite movies when I was 8 or 9 were Spawn and The Long Kiss Goodnight.

When I was 8 years old I bought a copy of Predator 2 on VHS from Best Buy. When my mom found out she made me return it and yelled at the clerk for selling an 8 year old a copy of Predator 2.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite was the local video store that didn't care about kids renting "unrated" cuts. I probably should not have been able to rent Requiem for a Dream when I was 13.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

pondering "who had their career-best performance in a kubrick film" and can only think of arguables like george c. scott, peter sellers, malcolm mcdowell. never seen anything else douglas rain did, but that may be the winner by default

Timothy Carey.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heard he got a case of main character syndrome during Paths which is why him and Kubrick never worked together again. It's too bad, the scene with him and the black guard is pretty heart rending for a gangster flick

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i haven't seen him in enough to say that Woody Strode gave his best performance in Spartacus but man does he do a lot with a little

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I ought to watch the world's greatest sinner to be sure

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Vargo posted:

I don't have anything to add to Cruisechat but I just got really nostalgic here because like 15 years ago I underwent a similar challenge on this here forums to watch every single Nicolas Cage movie, and even though I failed, the resulting writing I did about it literally changed my life and set forth a long series of events, including moving across the country, taking a new job, and essentially building my life as it is now. Godspeed to you.

Did you all know that Netflix has a new Dreamworks childrens movie out called Orion and the Dark starring Paul Walter Houser and written by... Charlie Kaufman?

I do not know what kind of child this appeals to but I sure liked it. It's rare to see children's media that respects the child and isn't afraid to get a little heavy or use unusual storytelling techniques. Our protagonist is definitely a kid written by Kaufman: deeply neurotic and anxious, maybe even a little unlikable because of the extremity of those qualities. And that's okay, because sometimes kids are neurotic little shits! The world is scary to kids!

The character designs are fun and interesting, the closest compaison might be like a muppety take on Pixar's Inside Out. In fact the whole movie is like a more experimental, interesting Inside Out. Pixar wishes they had the balls to introduce kids to the concepts of Baudrillard.

It is a weird little collaboration, I might compare it to Peanuts in that it's filled with children expressing adult angst - which also means it gets a little cutsie as Kaufman uses kids as his hopeful mouthpiece. But overall I think it's a good movie and you should look at it just because it's weird that it exists?

I wrote this off when I saw the trailer as just another bullshit cartoon but Kaufman wrote it you're tellin' me? Might gonna hafta watch it

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Speaking of weird things to see as kids my girlfriend's grandmother took us to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t42jhT-s1s

It would be kinda cool and hot to go as teens but a lady in her mid seventies took us and it was weird

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

I ought to watch the world's greatest sinner to be sure

Easily one of the greatest films ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

People never check if that poo poo''s on youtube

This wasn't but the score is and it is very funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2N4WsRtNnQ