Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was the TARDIS materialising around someone and bringing them inside something introduced in the new series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Was the TARDIS materialising around someone and bringing them inside something introduced in the new series?

It showed up a time or two in the original series.

One memorable time the Doctor materialized the Tardis around a police box which was actually the Master's Tardis.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 7, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

One memorable time the Doctor materialized the Tardis around a police box which was actually the Master's Tardis.

DnD portable hole rules should have applied.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In that Capaldi story where the TARDIS was shrinking, I was surprised that The Doctor didn’t make some off handed comment about the Monk. Feel the irony of the situation.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Random Stranger posted:

Is that the time it ended up in a loop of exiting each Tardis straight into the other one with no way of actually leaving?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Praxeus is a great example of a Chibnall-era episode that should be a good episode because it does all of the things that era often forgets to do, but somehow fails so badly in the execution that it ends up averaging out to "forgettable." There's a story, characters do things, the premise is interesting, but somehow assembling all the parts together under various restrictions ends up with an episode that never works as well as it should.

"First draft hastily edited as we filmed" is actually a believable description for it. But it also falls prey to the era's chief weakness of having a lot of ideas which never really get developed properly jostling for space. It's like the series gets clogged itself by "event" microplastics and loses its shape entirely.

Hmm... reading Praxeus as an unintentional metaphor for the problems the show was having might make it interesting, but I bet it wouldn't end up hanging together any better than the episode does without that framework.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just realized a missed opportunity in Twice Upon a Time for Moffat to explain away William Hartnell fluffing his lines on occasion. You had your chance to make it a feature, not a bug!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love that idea, but if I were writing for a show millions of people watch, I would have to take into account that that man has family, and portraying his decline as a quirk of The Doctor is something that would— I mean that's a man. That's a real person.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You know what? You've got a point there. Probably for the best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus it's kinda implicitly explained away by the reason One had to regenerate.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They shouldn't have cast another person to play him, honestly, and it's part of why I could never enjoy Twice Upon a Time. I get that each Doctor is kind of its own character but realistically, they were casting someone to play William Hartnell.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

They shouldn't have cast another person to play him, honestly, and it's part of why I could never enjoy Twice Upon a Time. I get that each Doctor is kind of its own character but realistically, they were casting someone to play William Hartnell.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't think they should bring back older Doctor's once the original actor is unable to come back.

It keeps the show moving forward and, I don't know, I think there's a dignity to it I guess?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The story had a perfect "out" built in for having a slightly uncanny depiction of the First Doctor. He should have been part of Testament, imperfectly remembered.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't think they should bring back older Doctor's once the original actor is unable to come back.

It keeps the show moving forward and, I don't know, I think there's a dignity to it I guess?

They've only ever done it to Hartnell and at this point they've done it TWICE, and neither of them have really been anything other than a caricature. I'll give Bradley a pass for An Adventure in Space and Time obviously.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

They've only ever done it to Hartnell and at this point they've done it TWICE, and neither of them have really been anything other than a caricature. I'll give Bradley a pass for An Adventure in Space and Time obviously.

Yeah, I have no problem with Bradley playing William Hartnell in AAiS&T.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I’ll allow them Hurndall in The Five Doctors, since it was an anniversary special, they included the other four doctors and it made sense to complete the set.

The trouble with Bradley is that there’s no need for him. You didn’t need a badly written first doctor in Twice Upon a Time, and his other appearances seem to have come from establishing him as the ‘new’ first doctor. The Power of the Doctor would have just used Davison through McGann.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The other problem with Bradley is that every third line his character says is "Why has your wench not made me a sandwich yet?"

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I've now wrapped up The Black Guardian trilogy with Enlightenment and that was a very strong story to end on. Great concept and unlike Terminus the story maintained a tight focus for its duration. The Eternals were cool and reminded me of the mimic creatures that were in Wild Blue Yonder if they were less malevolent.

This was a much more direct follow up to some of the ideas introduced in Mawdryn Undead with both stories center around characters who are cursed by their own immortality who handle it in ways that are antithetical to The Doctor's way of thinking.

The Black Guardian remained a cartoonish villain but I was nonetheless entertained every time Goth Grandpa showed up just to yell at Turlough some more.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As a trilogy I don't think it's particularly interesting, but nevertheless when Terminus is your weakest story you're in a pretty good place. I understand why Earthshock is more or less the go-to for "first Davison story" but Mawdryn Undead and Enlightenment are both absolute highlights of Doctor Who, and I don't think a couple of weird continuity scenes should preclude either of those stories from taking that position.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Season 12 Episode 6: Praxeus
Written by Pete McTighe & Chris Chibnall, Directed by Jamie Magnus Stone
Anyway, I'm being pedantic! The fact is the story called for them to be all over the world to showcase the global stakes of the infection (filming happened around lockdowns and COVID protocols, I wonder how much that impacted on the writing and production of a story about a deadly infection that has the potential to spread worldwide?)

I'm pretty sure Season 12 aired during the lockdown? It's subsequent specials and Fluxx that had to shoot around COVID protocols.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
February 2020 was decidedly pre-lockdown. It was, like, days after the Timeless Children aired that everything shut down.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Any stand out episodes I should look out for in Davisons run. I just finished up I thin the 2nd serial of his first season.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Earthshock and Caves of Androzani are the most well regarded, I'm not sure if The Five Doctors counts as part of his run but well worth a watch too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm pretty sure Season 12 aired during the lockdown? It's subsequent specials and Fluxx that had to shoot around COVID protocols.

Edward Mass posted:

February 2020 was decidedly pre-lockdown. It was, like, days after the Timeless Children aired that everything shut down.

Wow, for some reason I was convinced that was the season that got massively disrupted by lockdowns but I guess time makes fools of us all. And by us all I mean me, and by fools I mean fool, and by fool I mean me again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Any stand out episodes I should look out for in Davisons run. I just finished up I thin the 2nd serial of his first season.

Earthshock and Caves are the big ones for continuity.

The Guardian trilogy of Mawdryn Undead, Terminus, and Enlightenment is a good arc with two strong stories.

And then I start struggling. People have fondness for the Mara stories, Kinda and Snakedance, but I've never liked them. The Visitation has its fans but the story doesn't work for me. And then past that are the real dregs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kinda and Snakedance are to my mind great examples of the show having a really strong concept and doing their absolute best to pull it off despite clearly not having remotely anywhere near the budget to do it (so yeah, Doctor Who in a nutshell!)... plus, Martin Clunes!

Gotta agree with the recommendation of Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment and Terminus as a great "trilogy" though, even if I feel Terminus is the weakest of the three. Enlightenment is strong enough to easily stand on its own, you quickly get caught up purely through context of what the deal is with The Black Guardian and Turlough.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Honestly the only Five story I really have no time for is Four to Doomsday because it's just so BORING. Oh and Black Orchid because it's boring AND racist. There's peaks and troughs but the rest have something to recommend them even if it's that they're entertainingly awful.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The Awakening is good too. The experiments in doing two-parter stories during Five's tenure generally don't stand up but that's the exception.

Repeating the recommendations of Caves, the Black Guardian Trilogy, and Kinda/Snakedance. I also think The Visitation is charming.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I rewatched Kinda a few days ago and it's great, absolutely recommend it. Even if you don't like it it's still going to be memorable in a way that, say, Four to Doomsday isn't.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why do they keep giving Peter Harness episodes

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Why do they keep giving Peter Harness episodes

They gave him an entire new show.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Steven Moffat was a big fan of Kill The Moon by all accounts

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
YouTuber Sarah Z did a video breaking down Kill The Moon and it kind of threw just how gross the episode actually is into sharp relief for me. Like, it was pretty blatantly a pro-life message, but the way the other side is framed as unfeeling and cruel is hosed up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

When doing my curated tour of NewWho for my wife we got to Kill The Moon because I like to leave some of the REAL bad ones in for fun, but she's got crippling arachnophobia so we had to turn it off, so I've not seen it since it first went out. And I'm OK with that because quite apart from the lovely message, it's also supremely dumb in a way that's distracting and annoying rather than endearing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The_Doctor posted:

The praxeus infection looked like the tooth monster from Channel Zero, and that produced the same sort of visceral ‘nonono’ reaction in me.

loving same, mate. I absolutely hate it. It just makes me so loving uncomfortable when the skin turns to scales. Just "nope!"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

YouTuber Sarah Z did a video breaking down Kill The Moon and it kind of threw just how gross the episode actually is into sharp relief for me. Like, it was pretty blatantly a pro-life message, but the way the other side is framed as unfeeling and cruel is hosed up.

Bizarrely if you ask the writer this is entirely by mistake and he's pro-choice in real life. Which I'm not sure I buy. The writer of Tardis Eruditorum also thinks its the best episode the show has ever done, but she also rates Forest of the Night in her top five so...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I remember one guy pointing out all the ways Kill The Moon's story wasn't compatible with an abortion narrative, and coming to the conclusion that that made it a bad abortion narrative, as opposed to not one. Whatever you think of it as an episode, it generates some primo discourse.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
eggs
do
not
work
that
way

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The moral of Kill The Moon is that it's a woman's choice but medical professionals shouldn't influence their choice with any 'information' or 'professional knowledge' or 'answering their questions'. Just lock 'em in a room until they've decided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Also that the birth of a child instantly results in another pregnancy