Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

This explains why the DSA was an ineffectual social club for middle class liberals if people like you had any real voice in it

Lmao

Go lead the revolution yourself then Comrade

Have you ever thought the left's insistence on calling everyone liberals when they say logical and not insane things might be why you are seen as such kooks to everyone else?

But hey, be the "True Leftist" that leads us to worker's utopia, I'll wait for that comrade :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like I’m not sure you can look at the current SCOTUS and not accept the democrats do field a lot of the blame for this outside of being a naked partisan

Democrats should've have done more to make Republicans less awful
Women should've done more to make men less awful
Black people should've done more to make White people less awful

here's a novel idea... be less awful.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I personally find it funny that the current definition of a Republican win is the Supreme Court allowing their candidate on the ballot despite him inciting an insurrection. Aiming real high there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jimlit posted:

I mean for real, everyone acts all incredulous but what has the democratic party actually taken away? loving nothing. Same candidates and policies election after election. If losing to Donald J. Trump one time doesn't completely upend your party, losing twice should burn the whole party down.

More and more I think the dems aren’t doing anything different because they’re accomplishing exactly what they set out to do: nothing. They’re a political heat sink. They soak up the votes of people mad at the Republicans, run out the clock and do gently caress all when they do get elected, then when the Republicans get re-elected they go right back to their true passion of fundraising.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
immunities nutz

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
without the dems in my state winning bigly, Youngkin would have had a supermajority and you could've said goodbye to rec weed, abortion, minority and LGBT protections, HIV and STD programs, and a bunch of other poo poo

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Chief McHeath posted:

immunities nutz

now we're back on track

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TulliusCicero posted:

Also "hold up a pride flag" just :fuckoff:, that's people's rights to exist you are disparaging in pursuit of purity politics.

LOL way to completely miss the point everyone else is making

wash bucket posted:

More and more I think the dems aren’t doing anything different because they’re accomplishing exactly what they set out to do: nothing. They’re a political heat sink. They soak up the votes of people mad at the Republicans, run out the clock and do gently caress all when they do get elected, then when the Republicans get re-elected they go right back to their true passion of fundraising.

But DOING SOMETHING would be *BAD* cuz it would enable the leftist bullies who hurt all the democrats feelings. They're co-opting the same bullshit 'I was a leftist until they said A MEAN THING' that the nazis online use to justify being a nazi. Pushing back against neolib centrist do-nothing bullshit is the reason we don't have more leftist policies in fact

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 8, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheAgent posted:

without the dems in my state winning bigly, Youngkin would have had a supermajority and you could've said goodbye to rec weed, abortion, minority and LGBT protections, HIV and STD programs, and a bunch of other poo poo

But have you considered that is not pure Marxist-Lenist thought, and thus must he purged?

Also oh my god Engoron, do something loving funny so we don't have to have this idiotic argument

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DO SOMETHING!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lifespan posted:

I personally find it funny that the current definition of a Republican win is the Supreme Court allowing their candidate on the ballot despite him inciting an insurrection. Aiming real high there.

The Roe v Wade thing was probably a pretty big win overall, even if it had a negative effect for them at the ballot this past midterm election.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Batterypowered7 posted:

The Roe v Wade thing was probably a pretty big win overall, even if it had a negative effect for them at the ballot this past midterm election.

Roe V Wade ending probably hosed the GOP for the next decade, if not moreso

Abortion is like at 80% popularity now

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
All right enough of this

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The next step for the Dems is to appeal the Supreme Courts ruling to the Pope right, or does it really stop at the court with members appointed by the key figure of the hearing?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DangerDongs posted:

The next step for the Dems is to appeal the Supreme Courts ruling to the Pope right, or does it really stop at the court with members appointed by the key figure of the hearing?

Our government is in fact dumb and written like 200 years ago, with a system that specifically allows it to be changed, but those members ignore that, so yeah it's that one

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 8, 2024

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

DangerDongs posted:

It goes to Taylor Swift next

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is some new news, to do with Biden’s classified documents.

They aren’t charging him, but it sounds like their characterization of his handling of the documents is pretty bad.

I can’t find the statement yet, just saw Katy Tur talking about it.

So now we’ll get dozens of of Troofs about TWO STANDARDS OF JUSTICE! and Fox braying for weeks about the same thing.

e: all of them carefully ignoring the fact that Trump did everything he did do keep them, and discussed just lying and saying he didn’t have any, while Biden turned his docs in as soon as he realized he had them, and didn’t make waves.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Eat poo poo you terrorists

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MrMojok posted:

They aren’t charging him, but it sounds like their characterization of his handling of the documents is pretty bad.

So now we’ll get dozens of of Troofs about TWO STANDARDS OF JUSTICE! and Fox braying for weeks about the same thing.

Because he returned them

Trump purposely hid them, then demanded they were his

Like the crime was never just having them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

MrMojok posted:

https://apnews.com/article/biden-hu..._source=Twitter

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It goes to Taylor Swift next

Sounds promising, then.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

First paragraph

quote:

We conclude that no criminal charges are warranted in this matter. 1 We would reach the same conclusion even if Department of Justice policy did not foreclose criminal charges against a sitting president.

Basically it was lovely to do this but not criminal

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DangerDongs posted:

The Pope is a lib so they have complete immunity

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

MrMojok posted:

and here’s the big line that will get a ton of play on social media

https://twitter.com/nickriccardi/status/1755683224561295381

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

what are the chances that Bolsonaro is actually crashing at Maralago?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/bolsonaro-ordered-forfeit-passport-brazilian-police-probe-allies-alleg-rcna137956

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Awww yeah Donnie the Dove

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

First paragraph

Basically it was lovely to do this but not criminal

yeah but

quote:

“We have also considered that, at trial, Mr. Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory,” investigators wrote.

is not a great thing to read about a presidential candidate

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Is there any mechanism for the lower courts to get the SCOTUS to rethink their decisions?
Like can they say, “We, the undersigned 150 judges think you guys hosed up badly, and here is our reasoning (see attached 800 documents), please look at this again?”
Or is the decision absolute and final and anyone who doesn’t like it (even if they can make sound legal arguments against it) just has to suck it up because it’s been decided forever?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

mannerup posted:

and here’s the big line that will get a ton of play on social media

https://twitter.com/nickriccardi/status/1755683224561295381

Very cool that he's in charge of the country but too dumb to be held accountable for his actions, great stuff.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I wish they would just straight-up tell us what is in the classified documents, even obtusely, like "letters from world leaders" or "nuclear secrets"

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

They can appeal to SCROTUS

E; thread move fast

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kazil posted:

yeah but

is not a great thing to read about a presidential candidate

I don't find him sympathetic at all

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Stoatbringer posted:

Is there any mechanism for the lower courts to get the SCOTUS to rethink their decisions?
Like can they say, “We, the undersigned 150 judges think you guys hosed up badly, and here is our reasoning (see attached 800 documents), please look at this again?”
Or is the decision absolute and final and anyone who doesn’t like it (even if they can make sound legal arguments against it) just has to suck it up because it’s been decided forever?

SCOTUS is arbiter of this until someone challenges it in a new way, as far as I can tell.

And with this court make up that's not changing anytime soon.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

If the choice is between "kindly, forgetful grandpa" and "rapist con-man traitor" I think that's still a pretty easy choice.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

First of May posted:

If the choice is between "kindly, forgetful grandpa" and "rapist con-man traitor" I think that's still a pretty easy choice.

But have you considered...

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

First of May posted:

If the choice is between "kindly, forgetful old rapist" and "rapist con-man traitor" I think that's still a pretty easy choice.

Fixed that for you

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

DangerDongs posted:

The next appeal up is TRIAL BY STONE!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TulliusCicero posted:

Because he returned them

Trump purposely hid them, then demanded they were his

Like the crime was never just having them.

Trump was given multiple opportunities to just return them and have the whole thing go away, he just couldn't help himself

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Oh poo poo they directly called out Trump in this

quote:

Principles of Federal Prosecution. \Ve have also evaluated ·'all relevant
considerations" in aggravation and mitigation, as outlined in the Justice Manual, and
determined that on balance, these factors do not support prosecution of Mr. Biden.:1

Historically, after leaving office, many former presidents and vice presidents
have knowingly taken home sensitive materials related to national security from
their administrations without being charged with crimes. This historical record is
important context for judging whether and why to charge a former vice president-
and former president, as Mr. Eiden would be when susceptible to prosecution-for
similar actions taken by several of his predecessors.
With one exception, there is no record of the Department ofJustice prosecuting
a former president or vice president for mishandling classified documents from his own administration. The exception is former President Trump.

It is not our role to
assess the criminal charges pending against Mr. Trump, but several material
distinctions between Mr. Trump's case and Mr. Biden's are clear. Unlike the evidence
involving Mr. Biden, the allegations set forth in the indictment of Mr. Trump, if
proven, would present serious aggravating facts.

Most notably, after being given multiple chances to return classified
documents and avoid prosecution, Mr. Trump allegedly did the opposite. According
to the indictment, he not only refused to return thedocuments for many months, but
he also obstructed justice by enlisting others to destroy evidence and then to lie about
it. In contrast, Mr. Eiden turned in classified documents to the National Archives and
the Department of Justice, consented to the search of multiple locations including his
homes, sat for a voluntary interview. and in other ways cooperated with the
investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It sucks that the current slate of POTUS candidates are older than the dinosaurs but there’s no real way around that at this stage of the game. One can hope that 2028 will get us someone that isn’t older than the Atomic bomb.