Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Hawke
May 1, 2008
Been playing all morning and haven't run into any issues until just now when me and my buddy both got kicked out of our game with a network error, you win this round bugs! :argh:

The store doesn't seem nearly as bad as the steam reviews are making out to me, I already found some super credits during missions and you can spend medals to get some more in your warbonds, similar to how other games give you premium currency in the battle pass. (The price of 'em also seems really cheap to me but that's a little different.)

Democratic edit: My first helldiver went down not to bugs, robots or friendly fire, but to turning the safety off on a railgun she found and overcharging it for so long it exploded in her hands. Godspeed.

Hawke fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Hawke posted:

Been playing all morning and haven't run into any issues until just now when me and my buddy both got kicked out of our game with a network error, you win this round bugs! :argh:

Same, can't get back into the game. It's been fun playing solo and it's cool being able to find some different weapons in the field to mix things up.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Von Linus posted:

What's the PS5 framerate?

There are the typical Performance and Quality modes. Performance seems to be a solid 60.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Diephoon posted:

Been reading steam reviews, there's a lot of "gameplay good" "battlepass bad" "this particular anti cheat is extremely bad". Aside from all that, there's a lot of negative reviews regarding crashing just from trying to access the escape menu, or doing something as simple as changing your character appearance. Also plenty of reviews mentioning the non-functional quickplay. It's possible that the game can be crunched into a semblance of stability by the weekend but I'm probably gonna wait on this for a while to see how it shakes out.

I saw a couple reviews mentioning the anti-cheat that made it seem particularly bad but is the stuff it can access actually an issue to worry about or is it just buzzwords and fearmongering.

I love horde games like this so if the stability issues can be fixed it's super on my radar if the anti-cheat stuff isn't actually an issue.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
IS there any way on PC to change audio devices?

I have a bluetooth headphones and for some reason, even though the device is in headphone mode and explicitly even has the headset mode disabled as a device in windows, HD2 switches to this mode (which has awful audio quality) and I cant seem to change it anywhere?

Edit: And neither headphone nor windows volume control works, only ingame? What the heck is this

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishstick posted:

IS there any way on PC to change audio devices?

I have a bluetooth headphones and for some reason, even though the device is in headphone mode and explicitly even has the headset mode disabled as a device in windows, HD2 switches to this mode (which has awful audio quality) and I cant seem to change it anywhere?

Edit: And neither headphone nor windows volume control works, only ingame? What the heck is this

This happens to me all the time with my Bluetooth buds. Is there a setting in game to configure the input device for chat and is it set to your headphones? If so try changing it to anything else.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah ive had it in games before so thats why the headset mode is disabled in windows, but ingame there doesnt seem to be an option to actually pick input or output devices

E: And in windows it's actually in headphones mode, not headset, so I don't get why it switches to cellphone quality audio ingame

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In my experience if it starts using the mic it is going to step down to the lower quality communication codec regardless of output settings. I'd double check to make sure the game is not trying to use or initialize the mic in any way.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The battle pass(Warbond) does have weapons and armor with perks/power but it seems you can find the premium currency in game. I can’t say how long it would take to get enough to buy the BP but they don’t have an expiration date. It’s nice that you can grind to get all of the doodads but I worry about it turning out like For Honor where you could “earn” everything but it was built in a way that you would never, ever earn it all in your lifetime forcing you to think about spending money.

Guess we’ll see

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

In my experience if it starts using the mic it is going to step down to the lower quality communication codec regardless of output settings. I'd double check to make sure the game is not trying to use or initialize the mic in any way.

Well yeah that's the problem. The device in headset mode is disabled, its not allowed to be used as an input device. I disabled any kind of voice chat ingame, but you can't actually disable audio devices or choose them ingame, and the game still switches to it for no reason.

I can start a youtube video and the audio quality is normal, start helldivers and I can hear the quality go into headset mode, and then back to normal as soon as HD2 closes.

Edit: And disabling handsfree mode entirely in devicemanager results in no audio at all... Why does it keep trying to switch to a disabled device?

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 8, 2024

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I think i posted it a few pages ago but we're all squading up together in this discord. Since cross play is enabled I think anyone can play together.

https://discord.com/invite/nreGZPtQfr

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I saw a couple reviews mentioning the anti-cheat that made it seem particularly bad but is the stuff it can access actually an issue to worry about or is it just buzzwords and fearmongering.

I love horde games like this so if the stability issues can be fixed it's super on my radar if the anti-cheat stuff isn't actually an issue.

As far as I gathered, it's less that it's an immediate glaring danger and more that it's kinda bad practice included for a bad reason. It's not like it's gonna damage your system by itself or anything, and though it could theoretically be an attack vector for malware that's also unlikely to happen. The issues are more that it can gently caress with performance quite a bit and it's not even very good at stopping cheats at all. And the necessity of huge anticheat measures in a purely coop game is also kind of doubtful, leading people to suspect it's mostly there to "protect" the battle pass.

So mostly people seem to be rankled by having to install some additional software with wide-ranging permissions over their system, which in practice mostly just makes their experience worse for no tangible upside.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

what kinda progression is there? it is purely cosmetic, just unlocking more stuff to use, or do the stuffs/you improve?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No one wants to join a game via matchmaking that has players flying around in the sky, teleporting, and instagibbing all other players and mobs. I have no idea about this specific anticheat, and I also object to the security issues they often introduce, but acting like it's only there because of the battlepass is silly.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

For anyone else with the BT issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-for-low-bluetooth-audio-quality-due-to-hands/70b611be-2d69-4696-9071-93f5eb0881fd

Disabling HandsFree telephony as a service on the device fixed it

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Played for about an hour, between the constant crashes and terrible anticheat it was pretty fun. I'd say give it a few months for the devs to patch up the performance and (hopefully) switch to a DRM service that's not decades old.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Haven't had a crash yet, hopefully they fix crossplay/matchmaking issues soon. Only complaint so far is that unlocking weapons is gonna take a while given that medals are so slow to acquire, that and the sentry gun deployable needs WAY more ammo

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea nprotect was still a thing. I feel like the last time I saw this was playing one of those korean MMOs back in the early 2000s.

Game seems pretty fun- one crash so far while changing a helmet. Apparently changing your outfit before starting the first mission is a reproduce-able crash lol. I joined Chickenheart's game at one point so it's pretty fun with multiple people. Hope they fix things.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Perestroika posted:

As far as I gathered, it's less that it's an immediate glaring danger and more that it's kinda bad practice included for a bad reason. It's not like it's gonna damage your system by itself or anything, and though it could theoretically be an attack vector for malware that's also unlikely to happen. The issues are more that it can gently caress with performance quite a bit and it's not even very good at stopping cheats at all. And the necessity of huge anticheat measures in a purely coop game is also kind of doubtful, leading people to suspect it's mostly there to "protect" the battle pass.

So mostly people seem to be rankled by having to install some additional software with wide-ranging permissions over their system, which in practice mostly just makes their experience worse for no tangible upside.

Appreciate it, thanks. I'll keep an eye on the game then and maybe grab it a little down the road if it still has people playing once it's stable.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

TescoBag posted:

Anyone able to get in on the twitch stuff yet? When I try to link my account via gloryforsuperearth.com it says I don't have access to this drop yet.

I'd like to link my accounts in prep for when it does start.

This is the drop info page: https://www.twitch.tv/drops/campaigns?dropID=00dc4fe6-bb42-11ee-af17-0a58a9feac02

This is the link for participating streamers: https://www.twitch.tv/directory/category/helldivers-ii?filter=drops

Watch one or more participating streamers combined for an hour. There is no progress bar on the campaign/drop page, unlike other twitch drops that you may have done before. Or maybe it does, and I was just too sleep deprived to check this page:
https://www.twitch.tv/drops/inventory

Once you watch an hour, it'll show up in your inventory notification on the top right of the twitch.tv website:

Now, click that notification or go to: https://www.twitch.tv/drops/inventory
You should see the Helldivers 2 Drops up top, and a claim button. Slam that like Claim Now button.

After that, you go to https://gloryforsuperearth.com/
Hit that purple "Log in with Twitch" button.

It'll then ask you to connect your account or it will ask you what platform you want to redeem on. If you select Steam, you redeem the code Games -> Activate a Product Code on Steam.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
so is the only way to play with random people the quickplay button/sos beacons?

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Benagain posted:

so is the only way to play with random people the quickplay button/sos beacons?

you can join directly from steam friends list but yep thats the only way, no server browser and currently matchmaking appears to be busted

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game good

fps is a bit weird but i assume that's nprotect, it never drags below 30 for me at least so that's fine

looks like weapon/cosmetic unlocks are only done by the battlepass system, which has regular but also premium trees as one would expect. which is more an issue because it'll take a bit to get to certain classes of weapons, but eh.

strategems are meanwhile level based, and you get currency for them from missions. those can be further upgraded by upgrading your ship with samples, also from missions.

so three currencies; medals which is done by mission completion, money from objective completions, and samples found within missions. plus experience but that just vaguely gates strategems, which seem to all unlock at level 10 and I was level 3 in two goes, so

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Played a couple missions at lunch, and it is indeed fun. I was getting some really bad framerates in certain areas that I think was due to the fog/dust rendering. Cranking the fog effects way down seemed to help.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’ve been playing with my friend all day and not had any issues and can firmly say when it’s good it’s amazing. I’d forgotten how fun the last ditch evac is, or perfectly timing a strafe run to wipe out like 20 enemies who were bearing doing on you

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Gamerofthegame posted:

looks like weapon/cosmetic unlocks are only done by the battlepass system, which has regular but also premium trees as one would expect. which is more an issue because it'll take a bit to get to certain classes of weapons, but eh.

it could be described as a BP but it's a bit more free form than the traditional thing. I think as you earn unlock points or whatever they call them in this game, you pick and choose your rewards. As you unlock more, the next tier becomes available for you to unlock. There is a premium system too but I think it's detached from the free one, and it's basically how they're doing DLC now.

Unlike a traditional BP, I don't see any time limit, I think it's just their DLC pack and you have to unlock things as you earn research points.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

My ship is going to financially audit all the Family Values.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'll give it a try tonight, but if it's as crashy as it sounds I might wait a week or two.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

megane posted:

I'll give it a try tonight, but if it's as crashy as it sounds I might wait a week or two.

there's a reproduceable crash if you change your equipment before your first mission (lmao) but otherwise it seems pretty rare

just that one gets everyone

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I haven’t crashed yet, but if they can’t fix matchmaking soon they’re gonna have a disastrous launch on their hands

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

I had to set the game to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode under Windows 11 because of the lovely anti cheat but once I did the game ran great for me. I played cross-play with a buddy on PS5 for a couple hours and ran into no problems. Feels like a really great translation of the first game into third person. Should be on rotation with my friends for awhile.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the rootkit anticheat in this game is also a really bargain-basement one, mostly used by free 2 play chinese games

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so before i inevitably buy in despite my promise not to for a while: is matchmaking with randos just completely hosed, or more working-but-iffy?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Ciaphas posted:

so before i inevitably buy in despite my promise not to for a while: is matchmaking with randos just completely hosed, or more working-but-iffy?

Should be working-but-iffy on steam.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Don't stand behind a recoiless rifle. Or do it's pretty funny.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Don't stand behind a recoiless rifle. Or do it's pretty funny.
i assume "recoiless" is a severe misnomer

(e)

Coldforge posted:

Should be working-but-iffy on steam.
cool, glad to see they're quick on the hop to fix things!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sammus posted:

I haven’t crashed yet, but if they can’t fix matchmaking soon they’re gonna have a disastrous launch on their hands

I think they already kinda do. There are quite a lot of bad reviews.

It'll survive it though, since apparently the game is fun so they just need to fix some things

I bought it, since I'm an idiot. Downloading now

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the rootkit anticheat in this game is also a really bargain-basement one, mostly used by free 2 play chinese games

Yeah really loving weird choice. And seems to be the cause of a lot of the technical issues people are having. Seems like the kind of game that really should launch with Easy Anti Cheat, some business idiot decided they wanted to save money most likely.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Ciaphas posted:

The "recoiless" part only applies to the person firing it.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

(e)

cool, glad to see they're quick on the hop to fix things!

The way recoilless rifles work (and have very little recoil) is that the back end is open and ejects the propellant out directly behind it, counteracting the recoil somewhat. A lot ofbthings people think of as rocket launchers are actually RRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hollering CLEAR BACKBLAST every time I pull the trigger. If the neighbors don't like it, have them investigated as bug sympathizers.