Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/willshawison/status/1753998273239462245?t=2ZBA2Mhfg21rsQ6SutH_Jw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

great idea will s.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1754268330414776587

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

is this going to be like the thing where when a surgeon kills people the hospitals just quietly shuffle him around from one to another without ever telling anyone

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

apparently this did not prevent bari weiss from having him on her podcast to whine about the « identitarian left » or whatever his deal is

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if you google "yascha mounk rape allegations" on the first page of results you get the malang post, a tweet, a forum called "political science rumors" and a site that has an ip address instead of a domain name. google news has zero relevant results. journalists really do take care of their own

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Very clear the Atlantic only released that statement (on a back channel) because the victim tweeted this earlier that day in response to their radio silence:

https://twitter.com/Celestemarcus3/status/1754121601677733965

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Maya Fey posted:

apparently this did not prevent bari weiss from having him on her podcast to whine about the « identitarian left » or whatever his deal is

still cant get over the fact that her name is literally barry white

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

Very clear the Atlantic only released that statement (on a back channel) because the victim tweeted this earlier that day in response to their radio silence:

https://twitter.com/Celestemarcus3/status/1754121601677733965

Is Jeff Goldberg the atlantic guy who when off to Israel to torture prisoners at an IDF concentration camp or am I confusing him with another atlantic guy?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

She's not a nobody either, she's a contributor to a lot of the same journals and periodicals and goes to galas with the Atlantic crowd.

She's a contributor on the cover of the New Statesman, for example.

e: I have no idea what ideology she's expressing here, not that it matters to what happened to her, just that you'd think they'd circle the wagons to protect her as well.

The global left is the only force that has the power to stay Israel’s hand:
It’s tragic that Jews had to see their transition from powerlessness to power come at the price of another people’s degradation.

Celeste Marcus posted:

A person lives in many realms. One’s sexual identity is not the same as one’s ideological identity, though they may inform one another. We are multiple, but not fully intersectional, beings. I am a young liberal Zionist in the diaspora and so have had occasion, over the past bloody months, to see just how complicated my multiple identity is. This was made manifest during a period in which I was both deeply rattled and also called upon to act, to take part in the inflamed public conversation, to demonstrate the humanity which is the single tool powerful enough to staunch the bloodletting that has plagued the Palestinian and Jewish peoples since the early 1900s.

Zionists must learn that their children will never be safe so long as Palestinian children are not safe. Palestinians must learn the same. The horrors of 7 October were succeeded by the horrors in Gaza and I needed to keep my head, to monitor my own pain and to direct it with prudence. Hysteria and despair were not responsible indulgences. (I have rationed both.) Now was not a particularly good time to discover that the left has a Jewish problem.

Strictly speaking I did not discover this on 7 October. I come from the Zionist far right and spent my childhood marinating in a doctrine which preaches the dehumanisation of Palestinians. When I fled that world for the liberal community, I recognised immediately that progressive leftists feel about Israelis the way radical Zionists feel about Palestinians: these are not real people. So the grotesque anti-Semitism manifested brazenly by far too many leftist leaders did not surprise me. It did, however, shock me. And it angered me.

Cheering the beheading, rape and murder of innocent people is shocking even when it is not entirely surprising. And of those who did not cheer the terror, the great majority were either too slow or totally incapable of renouncing it. That too is shocking.

Something did surprise me, though. I was surprised by my own fear of the left’s hatred and bloodlust. I expected to be angry, not afraid. My fear has two primary concerns: I fear for my own and my family’s safety, and I fear for the possibility of peace in the Middle East. The left, I see now, is among the collectives which imperil both.

Its refusal to consider Israelis as human beings has made it an obstacle to the establishment of a Palestinian state. This is not mere rhetoric: this is an acute, rational horror. If the left’s attitude to Israel starts and stops with the insistence that it ceases to exist – a bizarre formulation indeed: the war crimes of no other state are met with cries for its elimination – anyone who works towards peace is lambasted as a traitor.

Pressure from the global left is one of the only forces that has the power to stay Israel’s hand. It has the capacity to assist Palestinians’ whose sole recourse is to engage with a state, the worst excesses of which systematically dehumanise them. The Jewish people have learned over 2,000 years that our safety is dependent on the existence of a Jewish state. It has been one of the great tragedies of the modern period that Jews had to watch their transition from powerlessness to ­power come at the price of another people’s degradation.

The awful reality is that every government commits egregious crimes and yet their power renders them necessary partners in the establishment of a more just society. American leftists have remarked that they will never forgive themselves for the tax dollars they paid which financed the destruction in Gaza. They are right to be sickened by their role in this horror. But as they keep correctly hectoring, context matters. That other countries commit war crimes does not make Israel’s less ugly. But we must ask why the extermination of only Israel is repeatedly called for by people on marches the world over who have never been there. Young American leftists protested against the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but they never demanded that the US had lost its right to exist because of them.

To influence Israel, one must be willing to recognise it. Since leftist leaders cannot bother to do this, they cannot be of real use to Palestinians. This is a betrayal of their own cause. It is also tragic for the liberal Zionists, whose integrity depends on forcing Israel towards justice. The only allies we have in that effort are those heroic Palestinians who agitate for peace. I have been moved to tears several times in the past weeks to see expressions of Palestinian love and support for Israeli neighbours who are grieving. This magnanimous humanity is our only balm, our only hope. But leftists abroad accuse such Palestinians of being complicit in their own oppression. Of what use is a cruel and dogmatic left in a cruel and dogmatic world?

Someone who uses "Zionists", "Israelis" and "the Jewish people" interchangeably is obviously a team player, so the Atlantic loving her over like this seems shortsighted.

ee: It seems like the Atlantic is covering for the rape of someone who is actually pretty plugged in. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

About posted:

Liberties Journal of Culture and Politics is a publication of the Liberties Journal Foundation a 501(c)3 nonpartisan organization based in Washington, D.C. founded by Alfred H. Moses and Bill Reichblum in 2019.

The Foundation seeks to inform today’s cultural and political leaders, influence citizen engagement, inspire participation in the democratic process, and promote the humanities.

The Foundation launched Liberties Journal of Culture and Politics in the Fall of 2020 with Leon Wieseltier as editor and Celeste Marcus as managing editor. Bill Reichblum is the publisher.

Liberties features serious, independent, stylish, and controversial essays by significant writers and introduces the next generation of writers to impact the intellectual and creative lifeblood of today’s culture and politics. Nobel Prize winners, leading scholars, well-known fiction and non-fiction writers, rising talents, and poets from around the world are part of Liberties.

They published Robert Kagan's War and the Liberal Hegemony, for example.

Idk, it's just interesting to see a close knit intellectual and political bloc cover for some guy rather than do the smart thing and throw him under the bus as soon as they heard.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Feb 5, 2024

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
they'll always protect the abuser over the abused, they've learned never to let metoo happen again

if that means a few lanyards are sacrificed alongside the masses so be it, the right of the powerful to freely exploit and ruin cannot be abridged

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

their core ideology is that the strong get to do what they will to the weak.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But just from a workplace morale perspective, having someone like that on staff is a bit of a black cloud over the cocktail parties and book launches, no?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

But just from a workplace morale perspective, having someone like that on staff is a bit of a black cloud over the cocktail parties and book launches, no?

The majority of people at a cocktail party like that already know about and protect sexual abusers anyway. Wouldn't move the needle at all.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

No, you’re right I’m just thinking I worked with a guy who had assaulted, or tried to assault, a female candidate while they were on course together. He was considered a bit of a Jonah.

This was before there were enough women in the Artillery for them to have their own floor of the barracks. So what the army did was - it made the local newspapers and everything and it caused a bit of a scandal when he was arrested and all that stuff - but after graduating she was posted to the other side of the country, so I guess because she couldn’t be present for the trial or whatever, charges were dropped and they didn’t go ahead with a court marshal either.

But still, he was a Jonah. You know, the reputation stuck. He was considered bad luck. No one wanted to have him on their gun crew, and so when the next tour came up, he was left behind in Canada.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
For like a decade every major hollywood event would have a joke about Weinstein and rape.

I don't know Mounk personally. But from people who've been around him, it doesn't surprise me.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah the people who upset everyone by making distasteful allegations are bad for morale, you gotta get rid of them so everyone can enjoy the parties

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1754854176964608282

yaKKKubin at it again

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
mounk says the right bullshit so they will protect him

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
WaPo and a couple of other outlets are covering the Mounk story and are my first results when I search his name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/media/2024/02/05/atlantic-yascha-mounk/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

The New York Times' opinion columnists but as parasitic animals... I mean we have Brett "Bed Bug" Stephens already.

Had to refresh my memory about this and it's funnier than I remember

quote:

On Twitter Monday afternoon, a George Washington University professor compared conservative New York Times columnist Bret Stephens to a bedbug after a Times editor had posted that bedbugs were spotted in its newsroom.

David Karpf's tweet, which read, "The bedbugs are a metaphor. The bedbugs are Bret Stephens," initially gained little traction. But Stephens took notice, and escalated his complaint about the tweet to Karpf's boss at the university.

"This afternoon, I tweeted a brief joke about a well-known NYT op-Ed columnist," Karpf wrote Monday night. "It got 9 likes and 0 retweets. I did not @ him. He does not follow me. He just emailed me, cc’ing my university provost. He is deeply offended that I called him a metaphorical bedbug."

The exchange went viral soon after, when Karpf posted Stephens' full email on Twitter.

"I'm often amazed about the things supposedly decent people are prepared to say about other people — people they’ve never met — on Twitter. I think you’ve set a new standard,” Stephens wrote. "I would welcome the opportunity for you to come to my home, meet my wife and kids, talk to us for a few minutes, and then call me a 'bedbug' to my face. That would take some genuine courage and intellectual integrity on your part. I promise to be courteous no matter what you have to say."

"Maybe it will make you feel better about yourself," Stephens continued. "Please consider this a standing invitation. You are more than welcome to bring your significant other."

By Tuesday morning, with the ordeal becoming one of the highest trending subjects on Twitter, Stephens opted to delete his Twitter account.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bedpan posted:

Is Jeff Goldberg the atlantic guy who when off to Israel to torture prisoners at an IDF concentration camp or am I confusing him with another atlantic guy?

It's the first one. Kinda blew my mind as a kid that this guy was seen as a level headed commentator then eventual editor and he's also a war criminal

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
not the only war criminal they have on staff either

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shageletic posted:

It's the first one. Kinda blew my mind as a kid that this guy was seen as a level headed commentator then eventual editor and he's also a war criminal

Look up the original faculty of the University of Alberta Ukrainian Studies program..

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Shageletic posted:

Had to refresh my memory about this and it's funnier than I remember

I think he even tried to claim it was racist by referencing some obscure journal but the link he posted still had the google query terms he used to find it in the URL like "bedbug jew slur' or something lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

God Hole posted:

I think he even tried to claim it was racist by referencing some obscure journal but the link he posted still had the google query terms he used to find it in the URL like "bedbug jew slur' or something lol

yeah he very obviously punched in "bedbug + jew" into Google Scholar and hopped onto the first link he could find

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Iirc the link referred to an actual literal outbreak of bedbugs in a Jewish ghetto

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Important news from the Guardian:

quote:

Do I really look like Ukraine’s top general? I have a much nicer forehead

By Adrian Chiles

Valerii Zaluzhnyi and I both have deeply furrowed brows. Should one or both of us be thinking about Botox?

Chilies' annual salary is estimated to be around £160,000 per year, btw

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

drat horror queefs posted:

and he's worth every penny

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

• What happened when a colleague made me a cup of tea? I almost died of shame
  • What I learned from a freezing night in A&E with my dad
  • They're horribly flashy and cost a fortune to run - I'd hate to own a superyacht
  • I was struggling with an underperforming poinsettia. Then I discovered how to make it shine
  • It took me 30 years to learn to love lapsang souchong - but now it's all gone horribly wrong
  • What's the secret of packing light for a holiday? Ask my mum
  • It's never OK to look at your phone in church - unless you're checking the score
  • I know just what I want for Christmas - but I'm not sure it's legal
  • I loved my new glasses - until everyone told me what they thought of them
  • How can you tell if someone's really an atheist? Watch them at a penalty shootout
  • Vets, you deserve my apologies
  • Where will you spend Christmas? With your parents? Your in-laws? Your children? Why is it so complicated?
  • What have I learned after three years of dog ownership? Beware of the vet bills
  • I am through with hugs and kisses. Handshakes are the only answer
  • I loved the Marina Abramovic show - but the most shocking moment came in the giftshop
  • The left lane on a motorway is for the virtuous and the good. That's why I love it
  • How did I spend Halloween? With an incredible group of nuns
  • Why are young people all growing mullets? I've been inspired by a much better hairstyle
  • How on earth are you supposed to review a parking space?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

cat botherer posted:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
God's perfect idiot

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

cat botherer posted:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

God's perfect idiot

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

quote:

After university, while waiting for his broken leg to heal from an amateur football incident, he applied for and failed both Civil Service exams, before being asked to apply for MI5 — he failed the second interview.[4] He studied journalism at Cardiff and then worked as a sports reporter for the News of the World.[5]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why would you tell anyone you washed out?

Also, at least here, you sign papers at the start of the process that say you're not allowed to discuss any part of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
failing out of that interview is a badge of honor

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

• What happened when a colleague made me a cup of tea? I almost died of shame
  • What I learned from a freezing night in A&E with my dad
  • They're horribly flashy and cost a fortune to run - I'd hate to own a superyacht
  • I was struggling with an underperforming poinsettia. Then I discovered how to make it shine
  • It took me 30 years to learn to love lapsang souchong - but now it's all gone horribly wrong
  • What's the secret of packing light for a holiday? Ask my mum
  • It's never OK to look at your phone in church - unless you're checking the score
  • I know just what I want for Christmas - but I'm not sure it's legal
  • I loved my new glasses - until everyone told me what they thought of them
  • How can you tell if someone's really an atheist? Watch them at a penalty shootout
  • Vets, you deserve my apologies
  • Where will you spend Christmas? With your parents? Your in-laws? Your children? Why is it so complicated?
  • What have I learned after three years of dog ownership? Beware of the vet bills
  • I am through with hugs and kisses. Handshakes are the only answer
  • I loved the Marina Abramovic show - but the most shocking moment came in the giftshop
  • The left lane on a motorway is for the virtuous and the good. That's why I love it
  • How did I spend Halloween? With an incredible group of nuns
  • Why are young people all growing mullets? I've been inspired by a much better hairstyle
  • How on earth are you supposed to review a parking space?

thank you for putting a collection of these together. I treasure this post.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chilies? brits gettin' their op eds from a fast casual ribs joint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pay. Him. More.

Read the article and it was delightful, as always. The only good columnist.