Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am concerned that my puppy doesn’t like me :(

Some dogs are dog-dogs and some are people-dogs. If yours is a dog-dog, it will grow to love you more than other people, even if you are still not as great as the dog they just met. People-dogs can go too far the other direction and become smothering with their need for attention, so both types have their pros and cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

We met one of Ness’ litter mates at the vet a few weeks ago. Her parents invited Ness out for a play date.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hey folks. I adopted a dog about a month ago. I haven't lived with an animal since I was 4 so a lot of this is all very new to me. I guess the first thing I'd ask if the OP is still around is if we could get some updated links going. I unfortunately bought a bunch of grain-free food on the recommendation of the old Pet Nutrition thread linked there instead of the current one which warns against going grain-free in its very title. So I guess once this bag is done I'll have to transition him to a new blend - oh well, I've done it once before, I just hope he'll be okay.

The other question is, what does everyone recommend for treats for an overweight dog? He's a mini Australian Shepherd who's about 35 lbs which is overweight. I've booked an appointment with his vet but they didn't have openings until mid March. I was recommended Pupcorn by a dog-owning friend and they've worked pretty well but they're too big to work in stuff like Kong Extremes and Wobblers. So is there any small, low-calorie morsels people prefer? I am allergic to nuts so unfortunately anything peanut butter is right out.

Thanks in advance.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pirate Jet posted:

Hey folks. I adopted a dog about a month ago. I haven't lived with an animal since I was 4 so a lot of this is all very new to me. I guess the first thing I'd ask if the OP is still around is if we could get some updated links going. I unfortunately bought a bunch of grain-free food on the recommendation of the old Pet Nutrition thread linked there instead of the current one which warns against going grain-free in its very title. So I guess once this bag is done I'll have to transition him to a new blend - oh well, I've done it once before, I just hope he'll be okay.

The other question is, what does everyone recommend for treats for an overweight dog? He's a mini Australian Shepherd who's about 35 lbs which is overweight. I've booked an appointment with his vet but they didn't have openings until mid March. I was recommended Pupcorn by a dog-owning friend and they've worked pretty well but they're too big to work in stuff like Kong Extremes and Wobblers. So is there any small, low-calorie morsels people prefer? I am allergic to nuts so unfortunately anything peanut butter is right out.

Thanks in advance.

A single bag of grain free food isn’t going to hurt him. I’m pretty sure they found the issue to be the large amount of legumes used in place of grains in some grain free foods causing taurine deficiency in some dogs. I personally don’t feed grain free food but it’s not an automatic death sentence or anything. My dogs just do better on food with grains.

You can measure out your pup’s food allowance for the day and use that as your treats for anything that doesn’t require high value treats. Other low calorie options are things like Charlie Bears, Pet Botanics Minis, cheerios, teeny bits of any freeze dried treats, bits of apple, or a different type/flavor of kibble than usual.

At work we recommend people make a “trail mix” of a bunch of different treats that’s primarily lower value/lower calorie with some good, stinky bits mixed in to give everything a little boost. A few tiny bits of hot dog or cheese or dried fishies go a long way in a trail mix.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My dog goes bananas for the green tops of strawberries, sugar snap peas, and raw green beans. Not always the most portable, but definitely low calorie! Ymmv of course.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Joburg posted:

Some dogs are dog-dogs and some are people-dogs. If yours is a dog-dog, it will grow to love you more than other people, even if you are still not as great as the dog they just met.

Exactly this. Our dog is two and a half now and from the time she was a puppy she was never that into me or people. Coming from a shelter, I think she just missed that critical period where she learned to love people. Over time she has improved and gotten better around people and us. Sometimes it feels like we are just beings she tolerates because we give her food. But then when I go into the bedroom to read she'll follow me in and lay down in a place. She loves me to death, she just has a different way of showing it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

A single bag of grain free food isn’t going to hurt him. I’m pretty sure they found the issue to be the large amount of legumes used in place of grains in some grain free foods causing taurine deficiency in some dogs. I personally don’t feed grain free food but it’s not an automatic death sentence or anything. My dogs just do better on food with grains.

You can measure out your pup’s food allowance for the day and use that as your treats for anything that doesn’t require high value treats. Other low calorie options are things like Charlie Bears, Pet Botanics Minis, cheerios, teeny bits of any freeze dried treats, bits of apple, or a different type/flavor of kibble than usual.

At work we recommend people make a “trail mix” of a bunch of different treats that’s primarily lower value/lower calorie with some good, stinky bits mixed in to give everything a little boost. A few tiny bits of hot dog or cheese or dried fishies go a long way in a trail mix.

Okay cool. This is what I got him for the record. He’s not morbidly obese, just a bit over what he should be for his size, and a lot of that was because he got very little exercise under his previous owner, so I planned on moving him away from it once he was at a healthy weight anyways. I’ll talk about it with his vet once I see them too. Thank you!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

we use store brand Cheerios for Pochi for low calorie treats and she is crazy about them

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I took the whole clown show to tractor supply and Lowe’s today and Scout taught the baby how to mooch treats off of store employees. He’s doing so much better with strangers now! He still has to do a big bark at dogs so they know HES NOT A LITTLE BABY! HES BIG AND STRONG!!! But we’re working on it.

Getting work done at home is basically impossible unless one or both of these hooligans are crated though because they have to do this on top of me every second they are together.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So if they spend every waking moment playing with each other, does that make any appreciable difference in their energy levels? :v:

Good to see that Scout is getting along well with the new baby!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got the Australian dog meds today. Took about 12 days and it’s the same stuff I get from my vet but 1/4 of the price.

I’m definitely doing it again next year when these run out.

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.
I have a dental question - our 6 year old rat terrier has fantastically clean canines / back molars - basically all the teeth he uses to gnaw away at bully sticks and pull open seams and weak spots on toys. But his front lower teeth are ATROCIOUS - we were unfortunately lax on brushing his teeth in his younger days and he's only just coming around to letting us really brush them now. We started using a water additive about a year ago which seems to have held the damage steady and we'll be talking with his vet about getting him in for a cleaning in a month or so when I go back to work and we have a bit more free cash. (He'll have to go under anaesthesia, both for the damage and because he's incredibly anxious about vet visits) In the meanwhile / after the cleaning to avoid getting into this mess again, does anyone know any good toys / brushes / chew treats that help scrape the front teeth, rather than just the back molars?

(His center front two teeth have also pressed forward, causing the large gap. Whenever he's sleeping with his teeth hanging out of the lip, we start repeating, "DENTAL PLAN Theo needs braces DENTAL PLAN Theo needs braces")

Obligatory non-manky teeth, supermodel-legs-for-days dog tax, as a please and thank you:

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
He has a lot of bone and gum recession around these incisors, and several look gray like the teeth may be dead (but maybe that's just the lighting). I'd be surprised if some of those teeth don't wiggle. He probably needs a number of these incisors removed. Once they're gone, you won't have to clean them! But seriously they're so crowded that even with daily brushing, he's going to continue to have issues in the front.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Local good bad baby doesn't understand why Dad disagreed with the perfume she found in a pile of dry leaves

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
any good resources for combatting barbering? my Shiba has taken up shearing his knees down. no, there's nothing wrong with the knees, he also will do it to his arms, and my own legs sometimes. I started him on solliquin 2 weeks ago, and cosequin at the same time. any thoughts? maybe Benadryl or some other antihistamine since he's always been a little itchy?

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Shugojin posted:

Local good bad baby doesn't understand why Dad disagreed with the perfume she found in a pile of dry leaves
look at that unrepentant little face!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Getting work done at home is basically impossible unless one or both of these hooligans are crated though because they have to do this on top of me every second they are together.

lol :allears:

sometimes i feel guilty for wrassling with iris because i know you're not supposed to do rough play with them... but she lives to wrassle. she always flips politely onto her back to let me know i'm still the boss as she mercilessly mauls me

an egg fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 8, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I thought I should post a few pictures of this little guy! Campion is now eight months old and he's an angel who loves everybody, although for the sake of my dog-phobic mother we're trying hard to teach him not to jump on visitors. The snuffle mat is helping a bit, but it's a process.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Rand Brittain posted:

I thought I should post a few pictures of this little guy! Campion is now eight months old and he's an angel who loves everybody, although for the sake of my dog-phobic mother we're trying hard to teach him not to jump on visitors. The snuffle mat is helping a bit, but it's a process.

Looking at that face, I think if i was in your shoes, I'd get a new mother.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

an egg posted:

look at that unrepentant little face!

She regrets nothing and will do it again if I don't stop it.

She's very soft right now from the bath. I like how there's nothing to do in these situations but laugh it off and give your dog a bath and enjoy your newly extra soft dog.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Adopted this rescue senior bull terrier after tragic passing of my pitbull last year. Her name is Dawn but she doesn't know it. She can't hear or see well.

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/QSO1mL4

Don't really know her story except one of severe medical neglect, at least. She was unaltered at approximately 13 years old, had toxic teeth and cancerous masses, dry goopy eyes and deformed paw pads, and many weeping hot spots and sun blisters. She also has a pretty bad heart valve and DCM. She's got baseball mitts for paws. She likes food, cuddling, sleeping, knocking over any furniture she can walk under, peeing and pooping in the house especially if it's rainy and cold, and making no noise whatsoever.
She spins in circles for dinner time (which is any time after 1pm) and will jump and punch me, but will not walk. So now she has a stroller. Her skin issues have pretty much gone away after maintaining a diet high in omegas, no chicken, and not grain-free. I was giving medicated bathes which i might continue just cuz she likes it too.
She loves kids and people as long as they pet her and scratch her neck, or give her food, and doesn't pay any mind to other dogs, cats, anything.
She does not know what toys are/are for. If it's not food she doesn't care. Even kongs with peanut butter are too hard for her to figure out with her poor sight.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 8, 2024

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What’s the best method to brush a dogs teeth and get them used to it? I wanna get started with Oliver so his teeth stay nice and clean before stuff starts building up. He gets an occasionally greenie but I now I need to use like actual toothpaste

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

pizzadog posted:

Adopted this rescue senior bull terrier after tragic passing of my pitbull last year. Her name is Dawn but she doesn't know it. She can't hear or see well.

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/QSO1mL4

Don't really know her story except one of severe medical neglect, at least. She was unaltered at approximately 13 years old, had toxic teeth and cancerous masses, dry goopy eyes and deformed paw pads, and many weeping hot spots and sun blisters. She also has a pretty bad heart valve and DCM. She's got baseball mitts for paws. She likes food, cuddling, sleeping, knocking over any furniture she can walk under, peeing and pooping in the house especially if it's rainy and cold, and making no noise whatsoever.
She spins in circles for dinner time (which is any time after 1pm) and will jump and punch me, but will not walk. So now she has a stroller. Her skin issues have pretty much gone away after maintaining a diet high in omegas, no chicken, and not grain-free. I was giving medicated bathes which i might continue just cuz she likes it too.
She loves kids and people as long as they pet her and scratch her neck, or give her food, and doesn't pay any mind to other dogs, cats, anything.
She does not know what toys are/are for. If it's not food she doesn't care. Even kongs with peanut butter are too hard for her to figure out with her poor sight.

jesus, that poor doggie. you are doing something special

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

pizzadog posted:

incredibly kind of you to take in a dog in this state and give her some decent quality of life.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yes, three cheers.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Go pizzadog, you are a saint. What a shame such a sweetie never got the attention she deserved until now.

Also echoing Dr Voodoo’s question about tooth brushing, I want to keep Newton’s chompers nice. He gets daily greenies.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
From what I dimly remember of my technique for Pavlov, it went something like:

- First off, he gets a daily fish oil capsule while I'm brushing my teeth, so he already has an incentive to hang around near the bathroom in the morning
- Put some of the toothpaste on my finger, have him sit, let him lick the toothpaste off
- Repeat, but put the toothpaste on the brush instead
- Check his boundaries around me touching his muzzle/lips, make sure he's comfortable with that
- Gently sneak a loaded toothbrush in underneath his lips and move it around a bit, then back out
- Gradually progress from there

(EDIT: to be clear, I didn't do all of this on day one. Acclimation probably took a week or more. It's been years, I don't remember)

These days, I can just load up the toothbrush, put a finger and thumb on either side of the top of his muzzle, then bring the toothbrush in, and he'll lift his lips for me and let me scrub away. The finger and thumb are slightly to try to keep him from moving his head around too much, but mostly just to help me track how he is moving his head, so I can compensate by changing how I'm brushing.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 9, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Greenies are more breath mints than they are tooth stuff

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man, I’m thankful I didn’t have to do any acclimation to brushing for Pongo. I just went for it and he handled it just fine.

I can also trust him 100% with my hands in and around his mouth at any time which helps a good bit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Same with Brisket.
He obviously hates it, but like most grooming he let's me do it and then gets to be a nuge about treats

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MarcusSA posted:

Got the Australian dog meds today. Took about 12 days and it’s the same stuff I get from my vet but 1/4 of the price.

I’m definitely doing it again next year when these run out.

What site did you use?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
https://www.pets-megastore.com.au/

Got a year’s supply of Simparica trio, waaaay cheaper than the vet. Sadly they don’t have Apoquel.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

HootTheOwl posted:

Greenies are more breath mints than they are tooth stuff

I smear toothpaste on the greenies, getting it deep in the ridges so the dog can’t lick it off. That way when he chews it gets onto his teeth. He really hates getting his teeth brushed but loves dental chews and toothpaste. Go figure.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
What kind of toothpaste are you guys using? Why does the dog toothpaste on Chewy cost 5 times as much as people toothpaste? I feel like if I buy it, I will be the subject of somebody’s standup bit

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

i own every Bionicle posted:

What kind of toothpaste are you guys using? Why does the dog toothpaste on Chewy cost 5 times as much as people toothpaste? I feel like if I buy it, I will be the subject of somebody’s standup bit

It's probably more expensive because of economies of scale: billions of humans brush their teeth 2x/day, and there's probably only like hundreds of thousands of dogs that get their teeth brushed 1x/day. Also a lot of those humans are very price-sensitive, while dog owners are more likely to splurge on their pets, especially the kinds of dog owners who are thinking about brushing their dogs' teeth.

I use Petrodex "poultry flavor" enzymatic toothpaste.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Arm and Hammer Chicken Flavor

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

devmd01 posted:

https://www.pets-megastore.com.au/

Got a year’s supply of Simparica trio, waaaay cheaper than the vet. Sadly they don’t have Apoquel.

Yeah same. Got a years supply for $130 shipped vs $500 from the vet.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i want to kiss every single one of you who adopts a dog in need

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Does anyone have a wall-mount dog door they can recommend? Looking on amazon, most of the options have good reviews but that doesn't mean a whole lot these days.

This BarksBar one has pretty good reviews from various sites but I'm not sure about the looks of the aluminum trim - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ASL9XD0?th=1

I like the look of this one, and the three flaps seem like they'd do the best job of insulating. Not sure about the brand though and it's a newish product - https://www.amazon.com/Eillion-Closing-Aluminum-Expandable-Suitable/dp/B0CN8ZVQMP/?th=1

PetSafe seems like the big player here but we currently have one of their slider door inserts and kinda hate it. Their wall-mount doors seem kinda cheaply made too from what I've seen.

Any input appreciated, I've been hesitant to cut a hole in our house but we're probably not moving any time soon and it would certainly be more convenient than our current setup.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Even that one looks cheap to me. I think it depends how confident you are cutting mounting it and sealing it.

Is a new door with one built in doggy door out of the question? it's easier to swap doors off hinges than patch the drywall and insulation, etc.
I put up a wooden screen door and let the dogs walk the the mesh screen though because i do not want them going outside all day when i'm not home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

dphi posted:

Does anyone have a wall-mount dog door they can recommend? Looking on amazon, most of the options have good reviews but that doesn't mean a whole lot these days.

This BarksBar one has pretty good reviews from various sites but I'm not sure about the looks of the aluminum trim - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ASL9XD0?th=1

I like the look of this one, and the three flaps seem like they'd do the best job of insulating. Not sure about the brand though and it's a newish product - https://www.amazon.com/Eillion-Closing-Aluminum-Expandable-Suitable/dp/B0CN8ZVQMP/?th=1

PetSafe seems like the big player here but we currently have one of their slider door inserts and kinda hate it. Their wall-mount doors seem kinda cheaply made too from what I've seen.

Any input appreciated, I've been hesitant to cut a hole in our house but we're probably not moving any time soon and it would certainly be more convenient than our current setup.

There's no siding door near by? For something like this:
https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-slidi...0AaAu_VEALw_wcB