Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

daslog posted:

For the second year in a row I'm doing something weird in the beginning of the year where I am closing the face 5+ degrees at contact. Everything on the sim is low and left. What's really weird is if do this: After the shot, if I keep my grip on the club and setup again, the face is closed at address.

I don't understand it at all. At Address, my grip looks fine. It's just frustrating.

Regripping the club at the top of the backswing is a very common swing fault, I used to have issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Shot a PB today at Fossil Trace - shot a 39 on the front, then I sorta lost it on the back and had a string of bogeys and a pair of doubles, but then managed to birdie 17 and eagle 18 which is something I probably won’t ever do again but glad it happened at least once

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wyoak posted:

Shot a PB today at Fossil Trace - shot a 39 on the front, then I sorta lost it on the back and had a string of bogeys and a pair of doubles, but then managed to birdie 17 and eagle 18 which is something I probably won’t ever do again but glad it happened at least once

I was just there on Wednesday. The course is in nice shape for the season.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

I was just there on Wednesday. The course is in nice shape for the season.

Yeah the greens especially were shockingly smooth for February

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wyoak posted:

Yeah the greens especially were shockingly smooth for February

They aggressively top dress and it took getting used to, but it is better than the other local courses.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Finally broke 100 after starting golf as a 34 year old 18 months ago. 96 and it didn't feel like a fluke. I just stayed calm, had fun, and stopped taking hero shots.

Perfect weather, course in tip top shape (Gisborne in Vic, Australia), and nobody teeing off 30mins either side of us. Marvellous.

For context, I shot a 146 on my first round in 2022, but I was hooked from the 2nd hole.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Wyndham Clark just went out in 28 at Pebble.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Wife got me a fuckin, baller anniversary present. I got to play at Gleneagles.

Plus, I was millimeters away from this.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Presto posted:

Wyndham Clark just went out in 28 at Pebble.

Imagine shooting 60 at Pebble Beach with a bogey and putting in on the last three holes from a combined 17 inches lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also imagine being Day and shooting -9 for the day and it not being the top score lol

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Hay goon golfers,

I've been pretty consistent with hitting balls at least twice a week, and I'm definitely seeing some good things. I have definitely improved my ability to shallow the club and not swing over-the-top, and my contact is far more consistent than it used to be. However, I'm still really struggling to shift weight to my left hip, and more than anything, I still cannot get my lead hip to move back instead of extending.

Here's an 8 iron and a 3 wood from last week:

8 Iron

3 Wood

If anyone has some good drills they'd recommend, I'm all for it. There's an outrageous amount of content online but I've found it helpful to pick a specific aspect of the swing to focus on each week or so.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Aggro posted:

Hay goon golfers,

I've been pretty consistent with hitting balls at least twice a week, and I'm definitely seeing some good things. I have definitely improved my ability to shallow the club and not swing over-the-top, and my contact is far more consistent than it used to be. However, I'm still really struggling to shift weight to my left hip, and more than anything, I still cannot get my lead hip to move back instead of extending.

8 Iron

3 Wood

If anyone has some good drills they'd recommend, I'm all for it. There's an outrageous amount of content online but I've found it helpful to pick a specific aspect of the swing to focus on each week or so.

I'm not a good golfer so take this with that in mind. Your takeaway makes me cringe a bit. You immediately cock the wrists and the club is way to inside.

Try this. https://youtu.be/wqhXzwiFCJY?si=K0OEsMs8Kqx-1sf9

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I feel like precocking the club was something people did in the not so distant past when they weren't getting a full cock on the back swing, naturally. Not sure if it's still a 'thing'.

IMO you just look really tight and rigid...uncomfortable. Do you think flaring out your feet during your swing may be helpful to get your weight shifted? I know it helps me transfer weight and also when I'm struggling to get chill, flaring out a little can help.

Signed, A dogshit golfer.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

There's a lot going on in that swing. You're not moving your upper body back during your takeaway, in addition to the stuff mentioned upthread. It looks like you're starting with more weight forward than back, and never really fixing that. I might have a video of a good takeaway weight transfer drill from my coach, I'll see if I can track it down. Go see a PGA pro for a lesson though, it's worth the money.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc8BfmcJZUM
(He does remote video lessons for a pretty reasonable price)

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 6, 2024

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aggro posted:

Hay goon golfers,

8 Iron

3 Wood

Your motion, especially with the 8 iron, is more like shoveling snow than swinging a golf club. It seems very stiff, especially your wrists. Your backswing is too flat and too far inside, causing the club to get stuck behind you. Your weight is shifting in the wrong direction in both the backswing and downswing. Your grip is also quite strong, especially your right hand. If anything, I would say you fixated on shallowing your swing and went way too far (though I’m sure it wasn’t the only issue).

I’ve obviously mentioned a lot of things you can work on. The difficulty with the golf swing is that you can’t work on one part in isolation because it will affect other parts of the swing. The golf swing is reactive, so changes need to be made in consideration as part of the whole.

So what can we do? Instead of fixing any specific issue, I’d like to see you work on the more basic premise of making a looser, more fluid motion. Stretching can help too. You know those wacky inflatable tube guys in front of car dealerships? I want you to imagine yourself as one of those, like you’re doing interpretative dance. This idea will hopefully help with all the other issues and get them to a place where minor tweaks are feasible.

This drill will help get you moving more dynamically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raXWIullNTY

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 7, 2024

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

So what can we do? Instead of fixing any specific issue, I’d like to see you work on the more basic premise of making a looser, more fluid motion. Stretching can help too. You know those wacky inflatable tube guys in front of car dealerships? I want you to imagine yourself as one of those, like you’re doing interpretative dance. This idea will hopefully help with all the other issues and get them to a place where minor tweaks are feasible.

You got any good stretching videos? I’m a forty year old man, and am very wooden.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Oodles posted:

You got any good stretching videos? I’m a forty year old man, and am very wooden.

Start Here

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Oodles posted:

Seconding GEMorris's Yoga rec.

Also, if you're an Instagram person, do a search for "mobility exercises" or "hip mobility" and you'll get literally inundated with short videos of stretches and routines all over your IG feed and I've found a lot of them to be really helpful if you want a specific set of movements/stretches for improving mobility and flexibility.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Thanks for this.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Putter on fire today! Driver was a burned out husk. Golf!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Korn Ferry tour guy shot a 57.

(On a short course at 8600 feet)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Presto posted:

Korn Ferry tour guy shot a 57.

(On a short course at 8600 feet)

(par 70)

Still impressive though.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I mean, he still did it. Altitude or not, he made the shots. Cant blame him that that particular tournament was at that course that week.

loving 57! I shot a 53 on my front 9 last week haha!

Anno
May 10, 2017

And that’s parring the last three I think? 13 under through 15! Whew.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

One day I'll birdie a hole.

:unsmith:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Anno posted:

And that’s parring the last three I think? 13 under through 15! Whew.

Yeah he missed like a 6 footer for a birdie for 56.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Waste Management Open is getting slammed by delays.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Waste Management Open is getting slammed by delays.

It rained so much yesterday and it's freezing cold this morning. More rain in the forecast tomorrow of all days so this is gonna be even more of a shitshow tournament.

But hell yeah Sahith is leading :woop:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Korn Ferry guy is now in second place because someone else shot a 59 there today.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Glover mis-reading his text messages turning out to be a pro level move

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

11 over for the back 9 at pinehurst 2 (on the simulator).

Got one in the water, so plenty of opportunity for improvement.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/i/status/1756447732624162898

:rubby:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

So this was an entire clusterfuck yesterday. They basically didn't scan tickets so they were way over capacity. Add to that the normal green space where people would hang out was wet/muddy, forcing everyone into the paths. It took me a solid 10 minutes (maybe more) to get around to the other side of the 18th green.

Also, I woke up with chills today so I won't be able to make the remainder of the 3rd and then final round today and Sahith is in contention. I'm devastated. :(

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

weed enabled GAS has resulted in the impulse purchase of a Wilson Staff blade putter for about $90USD for a soft milled faced putter which felt like a steal price. As well as a clearance but new PXG GEN4 0811 XF driver at about 70% off retail, or about what a well used second hand one goes for.

Guess I'll know if I actually got a good deal when I next hit the course. Definitely curious to find out if I prefer a blade putter like I THINK I liked as a kid messing about with his dad's clubs, and also curious to compare a modern driver to a 25 year old goldie.

I'll probably play worse than if I used my dad's 25 year old driver and putter

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 12, 2024

Anno
May 10, 2017

Tiger's new clothing looks nice, but I really don't care for the branding.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1757231925096222811?s=20

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
he should have just bought Le Tigre!

https://www.amazon.com/stores/LeTIGRE/page/3259870B-C9DC-4A61-9AC1-7C29034738B5?ref_=ast_bln

In the 1980's......If your parents wouldn't pay for Izod you got Le Tigre from like Montgomery Ward or Sears! :smith:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Anno posted:

Graphics Design is my Passion

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anno posted:

Why is Sunday 2 words? :thunk:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Josh Lyman posted:

Why is Sunday 2 words? :thunk:

this has been like nails on chalkboard for me since i first read about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Anno posted:

This actually looks really bad, the logo itself is bad enough but what the gently caress are they doing here