Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

so essentially it's the vision of folks who advocated very trade heavy secondary education, except you just kind of wander the country until you find a hammer on the ground and then you kind of defacto become a carpenter
first you must use that hammer to pound a variety of other tools into nails. once you have enough nails, your career can begin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The world of Pokemon is an anarcho-capitalist society.

- Presence of regional gangs.
- No central government.
- Regional currencies.
- Police, healthcare, and transportation systems are all run by local towns.
- Private organizations are the only groups that authenticate citizenship and professional credentials.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The world of Pokemon is an anarcho-capitalist society.

- Presence of regional gangs.
- No central government.
- Regional currencies.
- Police, healthcare, and transportation systems are all run by local towns.
- Private organizations are the only groups that authenticate citizenship and professional credentials.
it's post-apocalyptic. things were very different before they invented the pokeball.

i wish someone would make a game where you build an ecosystem and the creatures arrive of their own accord and you don't force them to fight, but let them kill and eat each other in harmony as nature intended

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

an egg posted:

it's post-apocalyptic. things were very different before they invented the pokeball.

i wish someone would make a game where you build an ecosystem and the creatures arrive of their own accord and you don't force them to fight, but let them kill and eat each other in harmony as nature intended

palworld dlc upcoming

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh was leon doing a bit

I just assumed they were an average american

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tesseraction posted:

oh was leon doing a bit

The average American: Famously unfamiliar with video games.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

unfamiliar with women being actually quite prominent? absolutely

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://x.com/highprogressive/status/1755419239295434932?s=20

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tesseraction posted:

unfamiliar with women being actually quite prominent? absolutely

The average American is a woman.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the median american is a woman surely? the average American is intersex

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The average American is a woman.

...and therefore America is a matriarchy?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

oh was leon doing a bit

Leon's bit is taking the most infuriating take and running with it, yeah

Tesseraction posted:

...and therefore America is a matriarchy?

Hillary died for your sins

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
speaking of american's problem recognizing prominent women, even knowing about american's history of musical appropriation, it still absolutely blew my mind to recently find out that the first artist to prominently play the electric guitar while incorporating elements of gospel, blues, and honky-tonk in what would come to be known as rock and roll was a black woman. not only that, but she directly got little richard into performing music

do i live under a rock or something? how did it take me decades to hear about this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the median american is a woman surely? the average American is intersex

If you're trying to find an average trait in a population, then you need to use multiple binary characteristic measurements.

~52% of the population is female.

~99% of the population is not intersex.

Therefore, an amalgamation of average traits in a population would be a non-intersex female.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
next you're going to try to take away the average american family's 1.5 children

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

speaking of american's problem recognizing prominent women, even knowing about american's history of musical appropriation, it still absolutely blew my mind to recently find out that the first artist to prominently play the electric guitar while incorporating elements of gospel, blues, and honky-tonk in what would come to be known as rock and roll was a black woman. not only that, but she directly got little richard into performing music

do i live under a rock or something? how did it take me decades to hear about this?

I mean unless you're into music history or going on Jeopardy then I don't know why you'd be expected to know or even care about it in the first place. New facts are created every minute but lives aren't equally extended. Given enough time and distance most facts devolve into factoids.

Like in the early 2000s I worked with someone who did Civil War reenactments and knew everything about the facial hair styles of the time, and back then I thought "huh I guess you gotta have a hobby" and now my thinking would be more like "was that a good use of neurons?"

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Grunge was basically invented by a Black woman named Tina Bell who fronted a band called Bam Bam. This guy named Kurt Cobain roadied for them.

(This video is loving pro-watch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFiNe2kK914

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 9, 2024

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I didn't know ike turner was a black woman

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cat botherer posted:

Grunge was basically invented by a Black woman named Tina Bell who fronted a band called Bam Bam. This guy named Kurt Cobain roadied for them.

(This video is loving pro-watch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFiNe2kK914

This owns

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOEPkRvpE2k

now feels as good a time as any to post this. it makes my spine tingle

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

But... That isn't Ariel

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Rappaport posted:

But... That isn't Ariel
it's not outside the realms of possibility that ariel could pull off a killer rendition of mr tambourine man, but odetta's would still be better

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My potential roller derby names (part 1):

- Sandra Day O'Clobber

- Pain & Able

- Brick Hit-House

- Lee Kingblood

- Canadian Breakin'

- The United Skates of Slamerica

- Broke Yer Face - By Lady Gaga

- Bruce Scarymore (like Drew Berrymore)

- The Bruise Scary Show (like The Drew Carey Show)

- Assault-N-Pepa

- Benedict CumberSmash

- Pope John Paulbearer II

- Ragnarok and Roll

- Bruce Can Hitwell (like Bruce Campbell)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

an egg posted:

it's not outside the realms of possibility that ariel could pull off a killer rendition of mr tambourine man, but odetta's would still be better

Anything to ward off Leon

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I’m a Washington native, and I never heard of her before like 3 years ago (her memory had a revival with BLM). Bam bam’s influence among NW musicians was enormous, but they never caught on with audiences. Tina Bell’s stage presence was something else, but audiences couldn’t accept a punk act being fronted by someone who was simultaneously Black and female.

Fun fact, bam bam’s drummer, Matt Cameron, was the drummer for Soundgarden and then Pearl Jam.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

an egg posted:

hoskins' mario is a powerful physical presence. he is an angel in the flesh. he glows with testosterone. plastic cg bullshit does not even compare.

I can’t remember if I said this itt already but some friends and I watched the Hoskins Mario movie expecting to finally see how bad it was, but we were surprised at how just middling it seemed. I chalk it up to a growing nostalgia for movies having to use practical effects. These days bad movies just look like interchangeable CGI mud, but the 90s Mario movie has an unmistakable visual identity that comes from its props and costumes and that’s kind of refreshing even if it’s not a great movie.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Pirate Radar posted:

I can’t remember if I said this itt already but some friends and I watched the Hoskins Mario movie expecting to finally see how bad it was, but we were surprised at how just middling it seemed. I chalk it up to a growing nostalgia for movies having to use practical effects. These days bad movies just look like interchangeable CGI mud, but the 90s Mario movie has an unmistakable visual identity that comes from its props and costumes and that’s kind of refreshing even if it’s not a great movie.
it's a masterpiece tbh

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
today I learned press f to pay respects has its own Wikipedia page

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Every now and again I read the wiki page about Rudy's four seasons total landscaping press conference and howl with laughter that it has its own article that does its utmost to take the event seriously while earnestly speculating why he chose the location.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My wife and I watched the Seth Rogen pottery show.

It was not really what I expected and was surprisingly charming.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

an egg posted:

Viva Piñata

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

every day i am inching closer and closer to going completely insane and running through the streets naked and screaming and flinging my poo poo at people

all i will say here is that i am in disagreement with zionism in its current incarnation.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHJDUFJNCJDJJSJDFHJRJDBFJRJDJSJXBURJDNZJSKSNCJRFTKRJXN

an egg fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 11, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

djfjrnxjndJXIRJDBKSJDJCJRJD

FCCJTIOFJVOSMZJSLDKXJKRJJFJFJFJTKKSKS

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

jzufkdcjjrk

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you for listening, friends

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Oracle posted:

Viva Piñata

I played the first one way back when, it was okay but not enough for me to want to find the sequel. I feel like part of the problem was a lot of them were really cute, so having to beat them to death to attract vulture pinatas or whatever always felt kind of bad to child me

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

an egg posted:

every day i am inching closer and closer to going completely insane and running through the streets naked and screaming and flinging my poo poo at people

Excuse me that's my posting style, get your own.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BougieBitch posted:

I played the first one way back when, it was okay but not enough for me to want to find the sequel. I feel like part of the problem was a lot of them were really cute, so having to beat them to death to attract vulture pinatas or whatever always felt kind of bad to child me

Nature is cruel and heartless

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cruelty is a human expression. Though I will grant you cats can be extremely cruel playing with their prey. But the fundamental tragedy of our existence is that nature is fundamentally uncaring about the fates of individuals. Evolution is a game of numbers, after all.

And of course ultimately the Earth will be consumed by our "mother" star in a fiery blaze that will scour the continents clean of life, and what remains of our planet will just drift in the cold voidness of space for the rest of eternity. Which won't even be an eternity, since the cosmos itself has a timer running on it. Nature just does not give a single gently caress about individual living creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

an egg posted:

thank you for listening, friends

Any time