Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

In this house we stan HIBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Anyone have a vote for the best keyboard for a mix of about 70% productivity and 30% gaming? Actually forget gaming. Productivity only is fine

Price is kind of no object but if it's expensive there should be good rationale for the spend.

I'm also ok with doing a custom keyboard if, again, there is strong justification for the price. I have never soldered before but I own this unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I have never used in my life but maybe this is a good project to learn?

any suggestions please :)

e: One more thing, I have used mechanical keyboards for about 12 years (my first was a Filco Majestouch 2 which I still use) and it has cherry browns.

What are the best switches these days...? I like the tactile bump on the browns but I've only tried browns and blues and my information is like a decade old at this point...

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 5, 2024

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Taima posted:

Anyone have a vote for the best keyboard for a mix of about 70% productivity and 30% gaming? Actually forget gaming. Productivity only is fine

Price is kind of no object but if it's expensive there should be good rationale for the spend.

I'm also ok with doing a custom keyboard if, again, there is strong justification for the price. I have never soldered before but I own this unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I have never used in my life but maybe this is a good project to learn?

any suggestions please :)

e: One more thing, I have used mechanical keyboards for about 12 years (my first was a Filco Majestouch 2 which I still use) and it has cherry browns.

What are the best switches these days...? I like the tactile bump on the browns but I've only tried browns and blues and my information is like a decade old at this point...

Best overall build quality from a solid company that’s available in stock is Mode.

Pick a layout you like. They have a 60%, 65%, 75% in stock right now. There’s a TKL that goes on preorder feb 28th. Their website configurator is the best.

I have two keyboards by them. (Two mode Sonnets). They’re my endgame, and I’ll keep buying different formats from them for other size endgames. Parts are easy to switch out for looks, easy to buy backup PCB if you spill ever, and an active discord. They’re the apple of keyboard company’s, and I mean that in a good way.

Best tactile switch are still boba U4T’s. I prefer the 62 gram weighted ones. I’m slowly putting them in every board I use, and buy back ups because nothing feels as good to me out of the box with no work.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thank you my friend! Appreciate you!

e: holy poo poo this is incredibly confusing there are infinite options oh my gahhh

Does the accent material make a big difference? I kinda like the idea of the brass, but drat, is that 30 clams for what looks like a little strip on the top?

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 7, 2024

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
A reminder that premium and custom-made mechanical keyboards are still a niche market - money can easily be separated from our wallets over asking for little add-ons that for things we may not even see, or mind too much about.

Whatever money you put into the keyboard, whether it’s a $30 one you find on AliExpress, or $500 from a bespoke retailer, as long as it makes you happy, that’s all that matters.

It’s important to not let FOMO or “greener grass” feelings affect how you enjoy keyboards.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Waiting on that Ducky One 3 Full shipment to arrive at MK........................................

Wish they'd sell them elsewhere :smith:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Has anyone here used https://www.kfamarketplace.com before? Was thinking of browsing for stuff I missed the group buys for but I've never really heard of the site before - it looks like they act as an intermediary between buyer and seller, so there's a little more trust?

Also, finally assembling my Box 75 today. Gonna take it into work to swap my M0LLY I've been using. My coworkers are starting to get into keyboards; I loaned my first Ducky to out grant writer who types all day and she says her wrists feel better, and our recruiter bought some kind of clicky monstrosity from AliExpress in. My boss is asking me about keyboards and I'm pointing him towards like, entry-level Ducky and Keychron stuff.

"Nah, I want the fancy poo poo you have."

Do you have a soldering iron at home?

"Who doesn't have a soldering iron?"

Well, alrighty then.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
But what exactly makes keyboard good or best at productivity? In my own case I had endured staggered QWERTY for close to three decades and I decided I would not continue on that path for another 40-60 years. So I chose a keyboard with radically different arrangement, I configured it with layout that has no resemblance to QWERTY and included features that normal keyboards are not capable of. Sure it was a long time until I started approaching speeds I was capable of with QWERTY, but in the span of decades that's a minor issue. It's not like I was a fast QWERTY typist as a teenager. And with all the features and layers my keyboard is quite complicated to use, but that is a feature, not a bug. When I'm reaching advanced ages it's preferable for a keyboard to cause less wear on my fingers and require more use of my brain.

When I chose my keyboard the layout and features were primary concern, key switch feel was secondary and looks and sound were way below that.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Taima posted:

Thank you my friend! Appreciate you!

e: holy poo poo this is incredibly confusing there are infinite options oh my gahhh

Does the accent material make a big difference? I kinda like the idea of the brass, but drat, is that 30 clams for what looks like a little strip on the top?

Accent on sonnet makes no difference and is just style. Weight bottom makes a sound difference not really a feel difference. Plate options makes a feel difference.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Waiting on that Ducky One 3 Full shipment to arrive at MK........................................

Wish they'd sell them elsewhere :smith:

Me too, but I'm realizing now I might not want the one I ordered because of the numpad. I wanted a numpad when I ordered it, now i'm second guessing myself. I like minimal keyboards afterall and I've used them for years, why switch back? I ordered the Ducky One 3 Daybreak Hotswap RGB Double Shot PBT QUACK Mechanical Keyboard with the silent red switches. It is $40 more expensive now then when I preordered it. It must have been popular.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Me too, but I'm realizing now I might not want the one I ordered because of the numpad. I wanted a numpad when I ordered it, now i'm second guessing myself. I like minimal keyboards afterall and I've used them for years, why switch back? I ordered the Ducky One 3 Daybreak Hotswap RGB Double Shot PBT QUACK Mechanical Keyboard with the silent red switches. It is $40 more expensive now then when I preordered it. It must have been popular.

That's exactly what I ordered for $127 and I was curious about the price bump myself.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
:toot:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

That looks amazing. I saw there’s still a few in stock for those that missed the kickstarter.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

That's exactly what I ordered for $127 and I was curious about the price bump myself.

Mine shipped this morning. That or more likely they are just prepping shipping labels.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Mine shipped this morning. That or more likely they are just prepping shipping labels.

Yep, I just got the same notification :)
Came here to tell you that they are indeed in stock!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I regret not getting in on the Kickstarter, any thought on whether it's worth nearly $300 shipped for one of the remaining copies?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
God drat the keyboards (and caps) they use in Severance are so amazing. I want that set.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

God drat the keyboards (and caps) they use in Severance are so amazing. I want that set.

That’s dasher/dancer and is usually in stock at Assdrop

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I do not want to use Massdrop again, though. Choices.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

wolrah posted:

I regret not getting in on the Kickstarter, any thought on whether it's worth nearly $300 shipped for one of the remaining copies?
It's reeeeeeeeeeeally good and exceeded my expectations, but I have not read it thoroughly yet. I cannot imagine it's worth $300 though.

...though for $300 it might get more use than a lot of the keyboards people buy...

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

wolrah posted:

I think the books are pretty neat, and the physical items themselves are of pretty nice quality. They look great in my home office space, too. $300 is literally double what I paid as a backer, though, so I'm not sure if my opinion on the value is valid :sweatdrop:

I guess if I had disposable income and really liked the contents and design of the book, and had a good place to display it (it's kind of big!), $300 would be a good price.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

asking again if anyone knows if there are any 100% hot swappable boards that are low profile/floating keys with a usb passthrough and media controls.

there are plenty of “gamer” keyboards but the only one with the switches i want (tactile and clicky) is the steel series 7 with blue switches. i had been looking at the magnetic hall pro version for a moment but i realized that they were more linear than tactile and not noisy at all.

tbh it’s probably cheaper than if i went this route but that’s my end game.

(i do have some doio macro pads but the only tkl boards i’ve seen with floating caps/low profile has been drop. i’ve had no issues with ordering keycaps or desk mats from them but i’m a bit iffy on their keyboards)

on a unrelated note, i ordered a gem80 from nuphy and it should be coming today.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

$300 is literally double what I paid as a backer, though, so I'm not sure if my opinion on the value is valid :sweatdrop:

Yeah, that's exactly why I hesitate, I waited too long and missed the kickstarter so there's some FOMO factor here, but at the same time even though I drop about the same amount on a trip to the dispensary every few months it's still hard to justify when I don't really have a great place to display it.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
bonus time @ work let me splurge on the book.

and maybe a mode :twisted:

edit:

Splash Attack posted:

on a unrelated note, i ordered a gem80 from nuphy and it should be coming today.

let us know how it goes! i'm torn between the gem80 and sonnet

gnatalie fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 9, 2024

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So a while back I bought a Logitech G413 Carbon because it was on sale. It was the first time I bothered buying a mechanical keyboard. I rather like it but am currently in the process of having to have it replaced under warranty. Since it no longer exists they're going to give me a G512 Carbon, however that model offers different switch options. Namely

GX Brown Tactile
GX Blue Switch
GX Red Linear

I'm honestly a bit clueless on this ( obviously the names do provide some context clues...) and have no idea which I'd even prefer. I'd like to have an answer in case they ask me to make that choice.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

gnatalie posted:

bonus time @ work let me splurge on the book.

and maybe a mode :twisted:

edit:

If you can afford it, Sonnet will feel sound much better. But there is a huge price difference so I get it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I ended up ordering the wireless version of the DOIO Megalodon KB16 pad and after trying various versions of VIA/VIAL and as many JSON files I could find, I've finally got it up and working fully except one issue - the main encoder dial when clicked in just not register anything at all in any of the software. The other 2 dials work as expected, but nothing comes up in key tester etc when I click it no matter what value is assigned. Is it likely it's arrived and that particular element is dead even if the clockwise/anticlockwise part works? Is there any point in reaching out to keebmonkey who I bought it from about this, or just deal with it? Not gonna lie, it would be a useful thing to have in final cut when trying to edit on the timeline.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Splash Attack posted:

when you say number pad do you mean a full-size 100% keyboard, or would you be fine with something that condenses the layout like a 96% or 1800 would? if you're looking for a full-size board, as far as i know keychron is the only one that makes a full sized hotswappable pcb, so you can put in whatever switches you want. i don't know if anything has improved over the years but it was suggested to get them through amazon or a third party retailer so you wouldn't have to deal with keychron customer service as it was notoriously bad.
Hey, thanks for your response!

It doesn't have to be 100% fullsize, but I do use the numpad very often for work so TKL options aren't viable.

It sounds like there's nothing readily available on the market that'll do what I want, so I guess I'm looking at a custom or semi-custom keyboard (eg, Keychron + switch swap + caps) to get what I'm after.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Q_res posted:

So a while back I bought a Logitech G413 Carbon because it was on sale. It was the first time I bothered buying a mechanical keyboard. I rather like it but am currently in the process of having to have it replaced under warranty. Since it no longer exists they're going to give me a G512 Carbon, however that model offers different switch options. Namely

GX Brown Tactile
GX Blue Switch
GX Red Linear

I'm honestly a bit clueless on this ( obviously the names do provide some context clues...) and have no idea which I'd even prefer. I'd like to have an answer in case they ask me to make that choice.

Basic switch rundown:

Brown - These should have a very slight bump where the keystroke activates
Blue - Clicky. The click is where it activates the keystroke
Red - no bump or noise when the keystroke activates

Red's are also sometimes referred to as "Speed Switches" and are seemingly more popular with gaming.

Blue's are most people first mechanical switch. They can get you used to not bottoming out a switch, which is what a membrane keyboard requires to activate the keystroke. 4 or so years using a mechanical now and I still bottom out, so.

Brown's are supposed to have a bump that you can feel, hence the "tactile" name to them. Personally, I like the feel of the ones I have used, but I can't recall ever really feeling that bump.

Red and Brown are generally lighter feeling, where the Blue's have a "heft" to them. The reality is, the spring weight in them are all very close, so it's that audible click that gets people.

If you are doing anything in an office environment, a bedroom with a sleeping spouse, talking online (voice chat during a game) Blue's can go from "that's annoying" to having a pillow tossed at your head by the spouse.

If you can, before they ship you the replacement, you might want to head to a big box store, as the G512 is popular enough that there might be a display model you can get actual hands on to see if you like it with whatever switches they have in said display model.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Now I just have to hope they either let me choose or at least don't send me Blues.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Q_res posted:

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Now I just have to hope they either let me choose or at least don't send me Blues.

I had a mouse replaced under warranty with Logitech, though this was some years back, and they wanted to send me a generic mouse, it was the same price point at least. I messaged them and asked if they could send me a different one, which was also the same price, instead, and they did without hesitation.

If you have an open ticket with them, it won't hurt to shoot them a message and ask if they can send you one with specific switches.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah they sent me an email asking me to choose between two different options with links to the product descriptions. Told them I wanted the G512 and asked if I needed to let them know my switch preference. So we'll see how they handle it.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

gnatalie posted:

i haven't really taken it out for a run but i have pulled it out of the box. it feels and looks nice, and if it weren't for my requirements i could see myself using it as a daily driver. was surprised to see it came barebones as when i got the halo60 it came prebuilt, but it also comes with small toolbox. this would make a perfect entry keyboard since it's less expensive then jumping for a mode board imo. i went with the nuphy lemon switches because as i said before, i like them loud and clicky, but kinda wishing i had tried to get bobas now. otoh they were offering the switches half off with the board so i figured why not!

denereal visease posted:

Hey, thanks for your response!

It doesn't have to be 100% fullsize, but I do use the numpad very often for work so TKL options aren't viable.

It sounds like there's nothing readily available on the market that'll do what I want, so I guess I'm looking at a custom or semi-custom keyboard (eg, Keychron + switch swap + caps) to get what I'm after.

if there is a tkl you really like, you could try getting a macropad. you can find a bunch of different kinds if you search "macro keyboard" and as a bonus you can put away the numpad when you're not using it, freeing up desk space if you need it. most of them are wired but i have seen some wireless bluetooth models before.

it's cheaper to buy a prebuilt off one on the market and if you haven't tried it yet, you could go down to best buy and give the keyboard testers they have out there a whirl. they're always going to be slightly loud though, so if you want really a really quiet keyboard you're going to have to do the custom route. even then there's always going to be some noise, so if you're looking for a completely silent keyboard it's going to be a lot of work.

i'd also suggest looking up sound test videos like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkOYVyMCmw

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Is anyone making modern keyboards with f13-f24 keys? I want a bigger keyboard not smaller.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Flowing Thot posted:

Is anyone making modern keyboards with f13-f24 keys? I want a bigger keyboard not smaller.

I have an old Cherry point of sale keyboard with the extra FKeys. I got mine on ebay and it's used to hell but it's neat. I assume they manufacture and sell them directly. There's also Unicomp PC122 boards in USB and PS2:
https://www.pckeyboard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=UB40B5A

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Flowing Thot posted:

Have you heard the good word of the Boston?

I'm typing on it this very moment, and it's overall very nice. The 3d-printed case isn't great, and definitely needs a good bit of foam to avoid terrible hollowness, but overall I love it.

Biggest challenge at this point is finding a cap set big enough.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

They have a few aluminum Bostons as well:
https://rndkbd.com/products/boston-120-compact-keyboard-kit?_pos=1&_sid=66855e112&_ss=r

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Yep, I just got the same notification :)
Came here to tell you that they are indeed in stock!

Mines out for delivery already. That's some very, very fast free shipping.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Flowing Thot posted:

Would a multi-layer keyboard be an option? Those should easier to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm seein double. Four function rows!

Seriously that keeb rules.