Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I'm not entirely sure as I've never had one, but Berkeley says this about informational interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Hey Resume thread!! First of all, holy poo poo, thank you for your advice, my resume is looking much better!!

I have an informational interview at a AA game studio at some point in the near future and I'm wondering what to expect - one of my friends passed my resume along to their recruitment department and their senior recruitment head wants to have a chat with me, which probably bodes well, but I'm not sure what an informational interview entails (is it kind of like a phone screen, or ??)

Informational interview can mean a lot of things. The link above is good, I've also used them as a "Let's talk about you and not a role, and one outcome might be if I think a role is a good match". It can also just mean "I like when people refer their friends but I have no openings so I'll spend 20 minutes speaking to this guy to humor the employee".

I feel like I repeat myself a lot, but basically be ready to tell a story about your career journey and what you're looking for for your next step, except now you don't have a clear target so you'll probably want to be a bit more broad. Depending on the size/type of outfit this may be more formal or it may be more of a "shoot the poo poo" kind of thing. I think either way have a good grasp on your story but don't over prepare.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I agree, I think it's good to have a solid narrative about your career journey, and be prepared with some questions about what you are hoping your career will look like and the organisation you're meeting with

Cover all the bases, because you don't know what their assumptions are

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Chewbecca posted:

I agree, I think it's good to have a solid narrative about your career journey, and be prepared with some questions about what you are hoping your career will look like and the organisation you're meeting with

Very good call out. People like to talk about their company, themselves, etc. People like people who let them do that. Make sure to have some questions.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Also don't be afraid to try to end the conversation early if you feel like it's not worth your time. I've applied for a lot of hybrid roles and have been commended for cutting to the chase right away about how hybrid they want to be. (Usually for me it's being hours away willing to take a seldom trip but not 3 times a week)

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Lockback posted:

Very good call out. People like to talk about their company, themselves, etc. People like people who let them do that. Make sure to have some questions.

Chewbecca posted:

Good call y'all - I'm actually a huge fan of the company and I'm trying not to sound TOO gushy, but it's definitely one of my dream places to work (creatively and managerially, luckily my job experience matches up with companies of that size/type). I've got a lot of questions about their pipeline/design dept/etc, how do I ask questions without sounding TOO enthusiastic/is there such a thing as too enthusiastic?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Asking good engaging questions will never be seen as too enthusiastic. Babbling or focusing away from the role at hand (Wanting to just talk about the PR facing stuff a back-office guy won't have any exposure too) can be a turn off. Also just sorta read the interviewer. If they like to geek out about thing XYZ match their energy.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey thread. So, progress has been made on my job search. This morning I received call for a second interview for tomorrow morning over the phone for company A. Late this afternoon, I got a call for a first interview for Company B. I tried calling B back, but the person was already gone for the day. What's the best way to proceed here? I feel like I should call Company B tomorrow after the phone interview with A to express my interest, but also let them know that I've just completed a second interview with another company. Or, I could call them and leave a voicemail tonight, or something. Thoughts on that?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you need to tell them? Are you hoping company B will hurry their process along?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Chewbecca posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you need to tell them? Are you hoping company B will hurry their process along?

Mostly because I guess I'd feel bad about potentially wasting someone's time.

... After writing that down, it does seem kinda silly now. A company would ghost me in half a heartbeat if they wanted to and not bat an eye.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

If the concern is timing the loops so that you get offers at the same time, you're wayyyy too early to be anxious about that. You're basically at the same stage with both companies, plus you have time to speed up one loop or slow down another when you schedule your later rounds.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

... After writing that down, it does seem kinda silly now. A company would ghost me in half a heartbeat if they wanted to and not bat an eye.

Yeah, you need to not give a solitary gently caress about that lol

You tell them only things that will benefit you, at the time it will be of most benefit. No need to tell either of them anything.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

priznat posted:

sometimes a job posting will pop up because they have someone on the track to be hired usually through a referral and had to create a req in a hurry and then it will disappear.

That's how I got my job, and them asking me to fill out a workday application after my now-boss already told me what my salary was going to be made all of the times in my past that jobs seemed to just disappear click into place.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Missed an intro recruiter call even with my phone right next to me. Doubt I’ll get another chance :negative:

Edit: ok got rescheduled!

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 1, 2024

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

neogeo0823 posted:

You're not wasting anybody's time, the people handling the hiring are just putting in their hours at their job and dgaf about the outcome either way. You're wasting the time of a corporation - a nebulous entity with a potentially infinite lifespan whose purpose is to use other people's potential as fuel to run an orphan-crushing machine. Waste away.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Today was the third day of trying to return a "schedule an interview" call with an internal recruiter at a really well known company in my niche. The fourth internal recruiter I've talked to so far, for this one role. The second one got shitcanned between emailing me at 10AM and me sending a reply back at 6PM when I got a chance to step away from work stuff. The role I applied for was remote, but the first recruiter in this chain seemed to think it was very important that I live near an office. Apparently they've lost or cut at least a third of their staff in the last year, but they're still hiring?

At this point I'm going along with this process to just laugh at how fast this company has trashed their reputation in the field.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Arquinsiel posted:

The role I applied for was remote, but the first recruiter in this chain seemed to think it was very important that I live near an office.

Ah, a "remote" job. Absolutely not, the only way to work remotely is to never live anywhere near the office, being multiple states away is ideal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm currently in the UK so it'll be fun to go "yeah I can work anywhere but my wife's job might move us to Spain or Germany in April so..." and watch them squirm.

They've finally set a time for the first stage interview and I am 90% sure that the first recruiter I talked to was wrong when he assured me that security clearance is not a concern. It's going to be the most :allears: poo poo.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Probably will cross-post this to the Data Science thread, but I've got some internal interviews coming up and would love some advice re: what to prep.

There's a couple Senior data science roles that have opened up, that'd be a v good fit for me (they're down to downgrade them to regular DS, which would be a better level for me). I'm currently a 'senior data analyst', a role I've been in for 2 years post-graduation, and have been considering swapping, but wasn't going to do so just yet, so I've got some review to do.

Talking to coworkers, it looks like there's 5 parts:

1. Behavioral
2. A ML case study (i.e., talk through some common models, discuss the decision-making process around it, implementation, pros/cons etc)
3. Python coding
3a. Pytorch coding
4. 'Product' interview - i.e., working with stakeholders, calculating ROI, etc
5. Another behavioral with your would-be manager

I've got like a week to review (wasn't planning on moving just yet!). The Python coding and working with stakeholders are 90% of my job, so I feel pretty good about those. In
school, I did a decent amount of stats/ML coursework, and a good bit of NLP (mostly transformers). However, the most complex model I use regularly at work is a logistic regression - part of the reason I want to move is that a good % of my work is just graphing - and I've only touched Pytorch once in the last few years.

I think that I should definitely review common machine learning models, and go back and refresh on Pytorch. However, I'm not sure what to focus on/what resources to look at (esp since I've got a bit of a time crunch).

Do y'all have suggestions for how to prep, what to make sure that I know, etc? I realize this is a bit field-specific vOv

I was originally going to go back over my ML and DL coursework, but I think I've gotta be a little more targeted than that to make this work.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rejections keep racking up :toot: One was from a place I made to an interview with a VP with and the other was a "thanks for applying, you were never considered" type thing. And yet, based on my background, I felt like the first place was a bit of a reach and the latter was the better match. Oh well

Two interviews next week, so keep on plugging away I guess

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rejections keep racking up :toot: One was from a place I made to an interview with a VP with and the other was a "thanks for applying, you were never considered" type thing. And yet, based on my background, I felt like the first place was a bit of a reach and the latter was the better match. Oh well

Ive had this experience before and it's odd and confusing. Ended up interviewing with c-suite for a role I thought I had no chance for and not even a first interview for a role that basically looked like my resume was used to write the job description.

It can be super random.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Was on cloud nine last week, pretty despondent this week.

Mostly waiting on a final yes or no from one place. Everything else I have been rejected in various stages. I think some of it has to do with my geography, but I'm really over living in a big city and like where I am now. Also finally feeling settled after 1.5 years with making some friends, getting involved in my community, etc.

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It's such a crap shoot. I've had like two months of nothing but auto rejection emails for jobs that I checked all the boxes for. Suddenly I have three screening calls scheduled.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

It's been a week since I had a final round interview with a company. I was referred there, and while I managed to make it through the whole process, I'm getting huge imposter syndrome feelings while I wait. I know my experience is a little odd, but I have the skills. I think I'll always suffer some amount of self-doubt, since I started in poverty with no network? Even with the support and skill set I have now, it feels fake.

Optimistically, they're looking to hire several people at once to cover their new projects. It's also not like I've haven't had to wait before. The difference now is that unemployment money runs out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

Was on cloud nine last week, pretty despondent this week.

Mostly waiting on a final yes or no from one place. Everything else I have been rejected in various stages. I think some of it has to do with my geography, but I'm really over living in a big city and like where I am now. Also finally feeling settled after 1.5 years with making some friends, getting involved in my community, etc.

If your applying to remote-only jobs just keep plugging. There are mountains of people applying and interviewing, so whatever your normal expectations its going to be much more work.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

From stinkedin

If it's an attribute you want, why not put it upfront somewhere :whitewater:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As an interviewer that's just a super irritating question, not necessarily because it's a bad question in the abstract, but because I know there is a 100% chance the next word out of the person's mouth after I give an answer will be ":actually:"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah a better question would be “given what we’ve talked about on the position what other skills or abilities do you think you’d have that would be useful and why?” Leaves it up to them to sell themselves in a new way for the job.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

As an interviewer that's just a super irritating question, not necessarily because it's a bad question in the abstract, but because I know there is a 100% chance the next word out of the person's mouth after I give an answer will be ":actually:"

Yeah. I think there's better variations where you maybe make it more general. Like "What skill do you think would help me in my career?" Never try to bait an interviewer into an argument.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

priznat posted:

Yeah a better question would be “given what we’ve talked about on the position what other skills or abilities do you think you’d have that would be useful and why?” Leaves it up to them to sell themselves in a new way for the job.
That'd be an interviewer question, not an interviewee question. I think Lockback's question is a good way to start angling towards stuff you are working on but don't have experience using or whatever.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If I’m interviewing with someone who would be in the same team as me, I would usually phrase it as “which of your skills do you think has helped you the most in your role?”.

Always get people talking about themselves, imo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

If I’m interviewing with someone who would be in the same team as me, I would usually phrase it as “which of your skills do you think has helped you the most in your role?”.

Always get people talking about themselves, imo.

Yeah that's a great one

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm currently in the UK so it'll be fun to go "yeah I can work anywhere but my wife's job might move us to Spain or Germany in April so..." and watch them squirm.

I mean, asking the employer to randomly have to set up your taxes and insurance contributions to a different country or two (that they may not have any presence in), plus (probably) a work visa does seem like a point against.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Lockback posted:

If your applying to remote-only jobs just keep plugging. There are mountains of people applying and interviewing, so whatever your normal expectations its going to be much more work.

The worst is when you missed a opening and now there’s 100+ applicants counted by LinkedIn.

Went to a networking event today. Trying the old fashioned way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mmkay posted:

I mean, asking the employer to randomly have to set up your taxes and insurance contributions to a different country or two (that they may not have any presence in), plus (probably) a work visa does seem like a point against.
That's not how taxation on international earnings or "being Irish" works, but they probably don't know that either. Hence why it's fun.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Hey y'all! I'm trying to update my resume for an internal Data Scientist role, and would love help cutting it down/improving my resume - I wasn't planning on moving before this, so I'm a little underprepared. I basically specifically just want to target it for this role, and would appreciate any help/advice/criticism!

quote:

Main job responsibilities:

- experiment design
- work with stakeholders on live service game teams to roll out projects (including non-data science)
- design & work with data pipeline
- data manip/processing & visualization in modeling efforts

Job reqs:

- experience with recommendation/personalization/matchmaking/forecast modeling (the role I want most is actually 90% matchmaking)
- working & communicating with cross-functional teams
- working on complex/multi-dimensional datasest
- experience with Python, SQL, Pytorch, Hive/Hadoop, and AWS/GCP
- experience in gaming

A little added context - there's another role not posted yet that I'm also interested in, which is basically an NLP data scientist doing a lot of work in Pytorch. Both are listed as Senior, but they'd be open to down-leveling to a regular one for me. The specific role I'm interested in is the matchmaking one, I don't actually want the forecasting one and I'm a bit ambivalent about the recommendation one. I've worked with people on both of the teams, who are actually part of the interview process which is a bit weird but probably good, given they also framed it as "you should apply, we'd like you on the team".

My resume is:
(for whatever reason the formatting got messed up, the actual, non-anonymous one is a single page, albeit with similarly small margins)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pWpbSnJuGa4DZhXGWstUmnIB0PI8YbziAsDqoB6Q9YA/edit?usp=sharing

Some questions:

- Are there things that I should cut (esp. in the 2 internships) or highlight more/less? In particular, are there any things from the JD that seem weak? Aside from Hive/Hadoop, I do have other things I could highlight for all of them
- I wasn't prepped for this, so the bullets under my current role aren't the best - please lmk where/what I should improve!
- My trajectory at the current place has been-- internship, return full-time, got promoted -- is that fine just lumped? Is there a good way to cut that down?
- I've built a recommendation system before for a class - chatbot that recc'd movies using collaborative filtering - but it's been a while. Worth adding as a project?
- Is there anything that I'm missing from the job description, looking at this?
- I've sometimes included this section of personal games:

quote:

Selected Games: Game1 (bit.ly/d2020 - platformer in Unity, won Industry Awards from Niantic and Improbable.io for Best in Show at 2017 University Game Design Showcase, start of University Game Design Club), Game 2 (bit.ly/ritd - visual novel with procedural character relationships, in Unity), Game 3 (bit.ly/st - MatchX game built in Phaser)

but cut -- it's a pretty short timeline, but maybe it's worth just putting together a quick portfolio site to host them instead? I wouldn't actually be making games in this role tho vOv.

I also have one more internship in between these, which was just a month working with the NASA Ames High Performance Computing group, but all I did was spec out an internal on-prem system using AWS to swap over some of the supercomputers from simulations to modeling. I got sick and had to leave early so I didn't actually like, execute on the plan, and I figured a 1 month stint would raise more questions than it's worth. Does that make sense? Idk, the value I could see is just 'this group at NASA thought I'd be a good fit for their data engineering work, let me signal that I can do this', but the experience itself is not much.

I think this is something I'm pretty specifically qualified for, and I do think I'd do well in a Data Science role, I was just originally intending to take longer to prep before moving.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I got access denied trying to access your resume.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Lockback posted:

I got access denied trying to access your resume.

Ope, fixed, ty for the heads up!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

foutre posted:

Ope, fixed, ty for the heads up!

Am I reading it right that this is an internal role?

Usual rules don't apply as much. Your resume is just going to be a jumping off point, so yeah tailor it up but don't stress too much and put way more focus on being able to highlight the key things and being able to speak to what you have vs trying to impress an HR algorithm or meeting some arbitrary standard of resume writing.

In general this looks pretty good. I guess I'd say you need to maybe highlight your cross collaboration a tiny bit more, and how do you feel about how you'd manage talking about "working on complex/multi-dimensional datasest"? I think your biggest knock would be you appear to be (and I could be wrong) a bit more in the "Data Janitor" direction so if I was interviewing you I'd press on your ability to create prototypes, wrestle with super complex dataset where the outcome is not really known, and driving these kinds of things to the finish line. Maybe this is something you can help bolster in the resume, maybe you leave some breadcrumbs there to be able to speak to it, but my first pass that's what I'd say you need to do.

If you use this externally I might acroynm "Am I the rear end in a top hat" as some HR person with blue hair might strike you for that, but for internal I imagine you'd be fine.

My guess here is if they are willing to bring you along and let you grow into the role a little bit you'll be well situated to get it, if they want an experienced person who can hit the ground running it might be a little more a stretch but that certainly doesn't count you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

foutre posted:

I also have one more internship in between these, which was just a month working with the NASA Ames High Performance Computing group, but all I did was spec out an internal on-prem system using AWS to swap over some of the supercomputers from simulations to modeling. I got sick and had to leave early so I didn't actually like, execute on the plan, and I figured a 1 month stint would raise more questions than it's worth. Does that make sense? Idk, the value I could see is just 'this group at NASA thought I'd be a good fit for their data engineering work, let me signal that I can do this', but the experience itself is not much.
Did the plan get executed on? If so you have a really impressive project to brag about. Bonus points if it was executed smoothly based on your plan. Maybe reach out to former colleagues to find out?