Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Not even a tectonic plate to its name. No wonder Europe has small man syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
All of this debate is just small men trying to find meaning in fleeting things. Continents are ephemeral, Earth will inevitably cool down and plate tectonics will cease and we'll finally have a solid foundation to make our maps.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Unfortunately the sun will boil life from the earth billions of years before* plate tectonics cease.

*the sun will destroy life on earth in 500-700 million years, at least life more advanced than microbes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
God has already provided us with a perfect 1:1 map of the whole Earth - it's called the Earth! #praisehim #stopgeography

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Unfortunately the sun will boil life from the earth billions of years before* plate tectonics cease.

*the sun will destroy life on earth in 500-700 million years, at least life more advanced than microbes

Unless we invent a dyson sphere, which won't happen in any of our lifetimes, but if we don't kill ourselves first, 500 million years seems like a timeline where it could happen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The one map illustrates the US pop density once you get halfway through Texas

I also enjoy the big white hole in what I think is in West Virginia

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Britain is in fact the exact benchmark for whether it’s a continent or not. Britain is an island and so is everything smaller than it. Honshu is a continent but Kyushu not. Neither island of New Zealand is as well

Say “hello” to the eight newbies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Extend it to Java so we can have Indonesia as a country spanning four continents.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

Extend it to Java so we can have Indonesia as a country spanning four continents.

That would be five.

New Guinea
Borneo
Sumatra
Sulawesi
Java

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh right, I overlooked Sulawesi was ahead of Java

The more the merrier

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://vividmaps.com/most-impressive-landforms-in-the-united-states/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Air Skwirl posted:

Unless we invent a dyson sphere, which won't happen in any of our lifetimes, but if we don't kill ourselves first, 500 million years seems like a timeline where it could happen.

I don't see how a dyson sphere would solve the earth overheating though, unless you made it smaller than earth's orbit and used it to reduce the amount of light hitting the earth.

There are some other tricks in the "realistic scif-fi" drawer too, such as star lifting and doing a bunch of controlled near passes with a very large asteroid to move the earth's orbit further out, which would have to be done over and over, over a span of tens of millions of years. Dunno if that is more or less plausible than a dyson sphere.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't see how a dyson sphere would solve the earth overheating though, unless you made it smaller than earth's orbit and used it to reduce the amount of light hitting the earth.

There are some other tricks in the "realistic scif-fi" drawer too, such as star lifting and doing a bunch of controlled near passes with a very large asteroid to move the earth's orbit further out, which would have to be done over and over, over a span of tens of millions of years. Dunno if that is more or less plausible than a dyson sphere.

If we have a giant orb around the sun absorbing a huge chunk of it's energy that should stop the sun from burning us all to death, I think?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

man, even new zealand's continent is lame

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
« Zealandia » is a colonizer name. Beleriand is preferred.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
otoh naming it after Sjælland is a good way of preventing choirs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I was going to make a post about how it's interesting that some of the world's largest islands are essentially uninhabited due to their latitude, and started googling for 'eerily beautiful' pictures, ended up finding this instead

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I was going to make a post about how it's interesting that some of the world's largest islands are essentially uninhabited due to their latitude, and started googling for 'eerily beautiful' pictures, ended up finding this instead

I never really watched It's Always Sunny in Philadephia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's Often Sunny in Reyðarfjörður

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

« Zealandia » is a colonizer name. Beleriand is preferred.

You only have to change one letter and you get Aotearea!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Sulawesi always looks to me like some kid was having too much fun making unrealistic islands in the world editor. Like it’s a kinda cool looking island shape but lol it’s so "fantasy map island" that it breaks the fourth wall a bit too much.

Like yeah cool a dragon shaped island with incredibly narrow and incredibly high mountains all over the place, get real.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Air Skwirl posted:

If we have a giant orb around the sun absorbing a huge chunk of it's energy that should stop the sun from burning us all to death, I think?

Dyson sphere is just more efficiently collecting the energy it's already emitting. Not gonna help when it starts to expand.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Muscle Tracer posted:

Dyson sphere is just more efficiently collecting the energy it's already emitting. Not gonna help when it starts to expand.

just put solar sails on the sphere so it moves its orbit out as the sun heats up

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Carthag Tuek posted:

just put solar sails on the sphere so it moves its orbit out as the sun heats up

What we really need is an INVERSE dyson sphere around the EARTH, so that when the sun expands beyond Earth's orbit, the planet will still be safe.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Saladman posted:

Sulawesi always looks to me like some kid was having too much fun making unrealistic islands in the world editor. Like it’s a kinda cool looking island shape but lol it’s so "fantasy map island" that it breaks the fourth wall a bit too much.

Like yeah cool a dragon shaped island with incredibly narrow and incredibly high mountains all over the place, get real.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Muscle Tracer posted:

What we really need is an INVERSE dyson sphere around the EARTH, so that when the sun expands beyond Earth's orbit, the planet will still be safe.

We do not stray beyond the Bubble!

Beyond the Bubble there is only Flame.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All of y’all’s moms are continents

yo momma so fat she reached hydrostatic equilibrium

Guavanaut posted:

otoh naming it after Sjælland is a good way of preventing choirs.

NZ is named after the Dutch province of Zeeland though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

do they get seals in Zeeland?

(iirc, Sjælland/Zealand = land of seals, Zeeland = land of sea; afaik anyway)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

omg I love this. I've always argued with friends about how some mountains are just more impressive than others despite being smaller, and prominence doesn't really capture it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Religions of the US House of Representatives.

pre-euro currencies

USSR involvement in regime change

Saladman posted:

It's just like all those other archipeligos, but the bits are still connected.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Who is that map counting as an openly atheist member of congress? I'm pretty sure Pete Stark was the first and only one. He's been out of congress for half a decade.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Religions of the US House of Representatives.

Quality is horrible on this, is there an actual UU congressperson?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SlothfulCobra posted:

pre-euro currencies

nordic sub-currencies (too lazy to look up what thats called, but like cents) are called øre which comes from aureus as in the roman gold coin, but to modern scandinavians its homophonic and homographic with "ear"

also wtf lazy rear end "other etymologies" for abunch of them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Air Skwirl posted:

Ami Bera from California famously is UU.

Google says there are three total. Deborah Ross of North Carolina and Judy Chu of California are the other two, but I'm not familiar with them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not a map, but Pew has a chart:

Krysten Sinema is the only "unaffiliated" member of congress, but she isn't an atheist.

There's no atheists currently serving, so that map must be counting either humanist, Unitarian, or some "Don't Know" as an atheist.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 9, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The US is only 2% Jewish?

Huh. Thought it would be at least 5

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This graphic is prettier.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2023/01/03/faith-on-the-hill-2023/#:~:text=Both%20the%20Senate%20and%20the,56%25%20in%20the%20Senate).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Who is that map counting as an openly atheist member of congress? I'm pretty sure Pete Stark was the first and only one. He's been out of congress for half a decade.

Jared Huffman of California.

Air Skwirl posted:

Of course not. There are three.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not a map, but Pew has a chart:

Krysten Sinema is the only "unaffiliated" member of congress, but she isn't an atheist.

There's no atheists currently serving, so that map must be counting either humanist, Unitarian, or some "Don't Know" as an atheist.

Unaffiliated is doing a lot of work to bump up the percentages of everyone in congress, because if you're just someone answering a phone poll it's a lot easier say that than if you're a sitting member of congress.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

He specifically calls himself a "religiously unaffiliated humanist."

I guess that is technically an atheist, but he doesn't self-identify as an atheist like Pete Stark did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wonder how many of them are religious in their heart, as in the actually think about god and their place in the world, etc, as opposed to just rote recital of "yes i am religious". probably also less than the general population