Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Saagonsa posted:

That was from a sample CD that a ton of games used back in the day, not from Lotus Juice.

A fun game to play is where did you first hear the sample. It was Bitter Dance in SO3 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

P4 has some haters but I've never seen anyone doubt how great its soundtrack is.

Certainly 3 and 5 can't compete in terms of dungeon music, IMO. Considering how much time you spend in dungeons, that has probably strongly influenced why I love it so much.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Heaven is hands down the best dungeon track in the series and it's not even particularly close.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

As with everything else, SMT does it better.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Undeniable

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm really enjoying the nighttime theme this time around.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Every game has standout tracks, I'm not going to say one is better than the other when I'm spending 70+ hours listening to them and not complaining anyway.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Sloober posted:

id have more respect for tanaka if he reprised his roll as the devil arcana in P4 & P5 like some kind of permanently hosed up snake oil salesman not even the main character can fix

FTFY

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I really like jazz, so Persona 5's music has remained with me more than 4 or 3 (so far). A Woman, Butterfly Kiss, Layer Cake, When Mother Was There, Price--all great tracks. Even the instrumental rock themes for boss battles. I really like Will Power and Keeper of Lust.

I think Persona 4 has the edge on the town themes simply because of how ear-wormy Your Affection and Signs of Love are.

Edit: Game Pass version: I learned that the game actually DOES respect your custom setting of playing in a second monitor. But only when you load your save file--on the title screen and options menu, it'll remain on your primary monitor. The hell?

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 9, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Man, I forgot that Maiko's parents actually HIT her for asking about why they were getting a divorce and then the mom was like "well you kept asking" and that took me by surprise. The worst way a parent could handle that situation, and they did it. No wonder she reacted the way she did, christ.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly Maiko's Link works better for me now that I'm older. Not amazing, but like... it's not in dire category.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

NikkolasKing posted:

P4 has some haters but I've never seen anyone doubt how great its soundtrack is.

Certainly 3 and 5 can't compete in terms of dungeon music, IMO. Considering how much time you spend in dungeons, that has probably strongly influenced why I love it so much.

just a lot more boring than either 3 or 5

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Neeksy posted:

Man, I forgot that Maiko's parents actually HIT her for asking about why they were getting a divorce and then the mom was like "well you kept asking" and that took me by surprise. The worst way a parent could handle that situation, and they did it. No wonder she reacted the way she did, christ.

oh? 3 mc absolutely justified in his supportive behavior once again?? quelle suprise.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Can't say I sympathize with all the people who like Price so much but I do like the pyramid palace theme a lot, probably the high point of P5 in general for me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
highly recommend that everyone do the September hangouts with Shinjiro and Ken regardless of efficiency, especially Ken

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao at the Clairvoyant Relic boss on Merciless. Even debuffed, he will still repeatedly kill all your party members (since they'll always die if he chooses to attack the same one he just hit with their weakness a second time). And he has so much health that you need to hit him like 20+ times with your strongest attacks.

The best I've done is just getting him to half health.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
did him w three characters. easily.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

lmao at the Clairvoyant Relic boss on Merciless. Even debuffed, he will still repeatedly kill all your party members (since they'll always die if he chooses to attack the same one he just hit with their weakness a second time). And he has so much health that you need to hit him like 20+ times with your strongest attacks.

you can get inugami as a card at that point who comes with poisma and foul breath and is weak to an element the boss doesn't use. just have your other guys guard / heal while you hit the boss with foul breath and poisma. once poisma hits it doesn't go away and you can just guard while the boss kills itself.

status effects are really good but its a pain figuring out which ones enemies arbitrarily ignore

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
on the topic of statuses, it's kind of annoying how many things end up using the fear/wail combo later on

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Neeksy posted:

FWIW, this might be a change in Reload, because I don't remember that at all from my recent replay

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Didn't think I'd say it but Nozomi's Link feels a lot better to play now thanks to the updated portrait and the voice acting.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Didn't think I'd say it but Nozomi's Link feels a lot better to play now thanks to the updated portrait and the voice acting.

Honestly my opinion went up on the second visit to him, though mostly because of the switch from encouraging your s-link’s bad behavior to having to actively abase yourself before this little goblin for more points

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Arist posted:

FWIW, this might be a change in Reload, because I don't remember that at all from my recent replay

It happens in Portable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

welcome posted:

It happens in Portable.

Ah, okay

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
its always happened lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ApplesandOranges posted:

:dafuq:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

Having just seen the scene last night, it was not changed in reload. You find her crying at the temple during one rank and she flat out says her dad hit her and her mom said "your fault for being annoying."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

he does elemental spells in a fixed order so just write down the order and then have the person weak to the thing he's gonna do guard

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Neeksy posted:

The thing that pissed me off about this is that it's her dad who hits her. Which is... fine in the sense that this is a thing that really happens and I appreciate the willingness to tell a story about this kind of thing. However, later on in the social link, she says she has to choose who to go with and the 3 pip answer is to go with the guy who hit her. Stupid.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

did you know that you could skip the stupid town map moving animation by just hitting confirm again? i did not, and had been watching it every time, to this moment.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Failboattootoot posted:

The thing that pissed me off about this is that it's her dad who hits her. Which is... fine in the sense that this is a thing that really happens and I appreciate the willingness to tell a story about this kind of thing. However, later on in the social link, she says she has to choose who to go with and the 3 pip answer is to go with the guy who hit her. Stupid.

Mom didn't cover herself with glory in that interaction + dad is clearly more "checked in" as he immediately knows who MC is despite never seeing them before, while mom yells that this is the first she's heard of any of it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i just now played through persona 5, the first persona i've played, for the first time. (Well, mostly. I am playing the Royal version, and it looks like i'm about to do something weird with a fantasy world created by the counselor tarot?? card?? ) I'm not sure that I just played through the ending of the first version of persona 5, but my jrpg sense tells me that I have because I just shot god in the face .

These are good video games. I had never really had the chance to play them as a kid growing up because we were not a playstation household. But - wow, I would have loved persona 5 as a depressed teen.

I'm thinking about picking up persona 3 remake next - is that a reasonable next step in the series? Should I be prepared for anything to be different? And how do the shin megami tensei games compare to this in terms of combat? It felt like, towards the end, once I'd unlocked a few important abilities, that fights were becoming pretty easy to destroy. Do the other more combat focused games in the series have more interesting stuff happening in them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Impermanent posted:

i just now played through persona 5, the first persona i've played, for the first time. (Well, mostly. I am playing the Royal version, and it looks like i'm about to do something weird with a fantasy world created by the counselor tarot?? card?? ) I'm not sure that I just played through the ending of the first version of persona 5, but my jrpg sense tells me that I have because I just shot god in the face .

These are good video games. I had never really had the chance to play them as a kid growing up because we were not a playstation household. But - wow, I would have loved persona 5 as a depressed teen.

I'm thinking about picking up persona 3 remake next - is that a reasonable next step in the series? Should I be prepared for anything to be different? And how do the shin megami tensei games compare to this in terms of combat? It felt like, towards the end, once I'd unlocked a few important abilities, that fights were becoming pretty easy to destroy. Do the other more combat focused games in the series have more interesting stuff happening in them?

P3R is, despite being a remake, going to feel a bit more basic. A lot will seem familiar to you but there's no set dungeons, just a Mementos-alike tower, Social LInks don't grant skills, just improved EXP, and in general it is a bit more basic. Still a good next step.

SMT games vary wildly though they share a heavy focus on elemental weaknesses and status effects. The thing that sets them apart from Persona (for the most part) is that instead of a set cast you usually have a protagonist and then you collect demons and monsters who fight directly for you and who you fuse and upgrade throughout the game. The also tend to be more light on plot/heavy on dungeon crawling and usually have a more explicit "This is happening during or shortly after the apocalypse" feel versus Persona's Everyday Life.

Difficulty depends on the game but it usually follows the trend of "if you're doing things right you will stomp."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The thing with SMT combat is that it is very swingy. If you allow your enemies to do much of anything they can easily mulch you so you are always incentivized to have a team that can just mow through the opposition.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Impermanent posted:

SMT is generally like any JRPG where things by the end are way easier than things at the beginning. There are exceptions here and there, the last boss or two might be a total nightmare depending on the SMT game in question, but you will almost certainly have a lot of awesome abilities by this point which render simple dungeon crawling and random battles insignificant.

I think it is the early game which would stand out most if you're only used to Persona. In Persona you have a fixed team which slowly learns a fixed set of abilities. You can of course do a variety of things with the MC but 3/4 of your party are always gonna be the same. In contrast, there's a very famous fight near the start of SMTIII Nocturne which I've beaten four different ways across four different playthroughs. I feel it makes replays a lot more interesting.

Your demons will be way more invaluable to any strategy than your party members, too. You decide what demons you have and what abilities they might have once you start fusing. Each demon will be an integral part of your strategy instead of the MC being the best and capable of doing everything.

Speaking of Nocturne, I would recommend it as the starting place. It's a good game in its own right but also:
1) HD Remaster on all modern systems makes it easily accessible
2) it started "Press Turn," the battle system most subsequent SMT games have. As such, it's mechanically a bit primitive, so subsequent SMT games will offer various quality of life improvements which you migh tmiss if you start with, say SMTV and then go back to SMTIII, you know.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Failboattootoot posted:

yeah, and? whats your point lol

Impermanent posted:

you should be prepared for better writing and sick dungeon crawling instead of annoying palaces.

smt is harder + more interesting ijn both gameplay and themeing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I very much enjoy that hermit is the MC playing an MMO with their English composition teacher who does nothing but complain about how work sucks and type in leetspeak. I forgot that Maya straight up namedrops the player and unknowingly fantasizes to him about how much she wants to commit a crime. Between this and Magician there's a lot of teacher-loving going on in this game.

Janissary Hop posted:

did you know that you could skip the stupid town map moving animation by just hitting confirm again? i did not, and had been watching it every time, to this moment.

The game has a lot of unskippable cutscenes and transitions that are very visually slick but after I've seen them for the 9999th time get really grating. Always dreading not having the proper persona for an S.Link because I means I have to watch the transition to the mall, watch the transition into the Velvet Room, watch the cards drop onto the table, watch the back-half of the summoning/fusion cutscene you can't skip, watch the transition out of the velvet room, watch the transition back to wherever the person I wanted to hang out with is.

Same with all out attacks, they take just long enough to start to really be annoying past a certain point when crawling Tartarus.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

you enjoy it?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like hanging out with trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder