Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ponuh posted:

Thanks. So it might be better to get a cheaper motherboard and throw in a 6e adapter?

Yeah if you're getting an ATX motherboard with PCI slots to spare, you can get a nice Intel 6e Wifi card for $23 or less: https://www.amazon.com/RLihm-AX210-Bluetooth-Tri-Bands-5374Mbps/dp/B09S36F1YS/

Watch out though, I just came back in here to post that apparently the Intel Wifi 7 cards, Intel did some bullshit to prevent them from working on AMD motherboards, allegedly:

https://dongknows.com/wi-fi-7-upgrade-on-a-windows-computer/

quote:

Unlike previous Intel Wi-Fi chips, the BE200 only works with Intel-based computers — it doesn’t work with an AMD-based machine, for example. There will likely be other Wi-Fi 7 adapters in the near future that work with all CPUs

It is only listed on that one website with Reddit refrencing it, but I also see some listings of the BE200 on eBay that say "no AMD motherboard". So the 6e stuff is fine but Intel might be up to some horseshit with Wifi 7.

edit: found a supporting review on Amazon:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Max Wilco posted:

When I took it to the shop, they tried running it without the RAM while troubleshooting it, but that didn't seem to make a difference in regards to the power cycling (this was when he was trying to get it to post). I can give it a try, though

I don't know how you clean the contacts for RAM slots/contacts. I assume you just use Isopropyl alcohol?

Yeah, or contact cleaner. It's probably not a solution if they tested it, but ram can do weird things if it's not seated properly or it's dirty.

Ponuh
Nov 8, 2006

No tricks, Mr. President. In a few moments I will release a wave of psychic energy designed to dominate the whole planet. There will be no more 'free will'.

Zero VGS posted:

Watch out though, I just came back in here to post that apparently the Intel Wifi 7 cards, Intel did some bullshit to prevent them from working on AMD motherboards, allegedly:

https://dongknows.com/wi-fi-7-upgrade-on-a-windows-computer/

Oh, that's annoying. I am looking at an AM4 board. I ended up buying a microcenter bundle from a guy on Reddit with a good looking WiFi board for pretty cheap.

Edit: Here is the build I have put together with the bundle. Could someone take a look and check if they foresee any problems? The seller of the bundle said he is throwing in a "low profile" CPU cooler - but I am not sure what that means. I haven't built anything in over ten years.

I was thinking of looking for a 4070 to go in here.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor ($82.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $524.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-04 21:20 EST-0500

Ponuh fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 5, 2024

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I know most people in here probably wouldn’t bother with this, and I normally wouldn’t either if I wasn’t doing a themed build. I have a gigabyte b650 aorus elite ax motherboard and my case has some be quiet! Light wings argb fans in it. Could I ask what the least lovely option to control their lights is? Should I just use whatever gigabyte software?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SignalRGB perhaps

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Cheap Shot posted:

I know most people in here probably wouldn’t bother with this, and I normally wouldn’t either if I wasn’t doing a themed build. I have a gigabyte b650 aorus elite ax motherboard and my case has some be quiet! Light wings argb fans in it. Could I ask what the least lovely option to control their lights is? Should I just use whatever gigabyte software?

OpenRGB if you're lucky enough for it to support your specific hardware, or SignalRGB if you can live with the nagware aspect of it (you don't need to pay to use it, they just really want you to buy paid themes or whatever). The various motherboard vendors' solutions range from incompetent to tire fire.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

DoombatINC posted:

It looks like it uses a proprietary fan that turns itself off under low PWM signal (the cooler is advertised as "semi-passive" for this reason) so it might just be a quirk of that specific design. Normally I'd recommend just replacing the fan with something a little innately quieter if the cooler is still doing its job, but it also looks like the proprietary fan has its attaching clips built straight into the frame which kinda complicates that suggestion :goleft: if the noise is enough of a problem then it might be time to replace the entire cooler with, like, an SE-214-XT or something else with a quieter fan and more standardized replacement parts.

Welp, I bought this and fitted it this morning. Still no control. I tried to download the Asus AI Suite or whatever, but it only works on Win7.

At least it works I guess.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

power crystals posted:

OpenRGB if you're lucky enough for it to support your specific hardware, or SignalRGB if you can live with the nagware aspect of it (you don't need to pay to use it, they just really want you to buy paid themes or whatever). The various motherboard vendors' solutions range from incompetent to tire fire.

Darn. OpenRGB seems to have very limited support for my hardware. I’ll give SingalRGB a shot and decide of it’s too naggy or not. Thank you to you and Super No Vacancy for the suggestions.

Edit: drat all of this rgb software sucks and none of it lets me do what I want to do. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 6, 2024

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

This is why I live in the corsair walled garden.

Sucks that people tend to learn about RGB after buying some that dont work well together.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spunkshui posted:

Sucks that people tend to learn about RGB after buying some that dont work well together.

This was me holding a 3 pin DRGB cable in my hand wondering why it doesn't plug into a 4 pin header on the mobo.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I just love when case manufacturers include their own proprietary controller. Specifically, I love the sound it makes as it falls into the e-waste bin.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Cheap Shot posted:

Darn. OpenRGB seems to have very limited support for my hardware. I’ll give SingalRGB a shot and decide of it’s too naggy or not. Thank you to you and Super No Vacancy for the suggestions.

Edit: drat all of this rgb software sucks and none of it lets me do what I want to do. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

Yeah that's the typical reaction to trying to do anything with RGB (unless you do all corsair as mentioned, then it at least doesn't do what you want much more easily). What effect are you trying to achieve?

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I bought a 3080 TI off a goon for $425, which was too excellent of a deal to pass up (otherwise probably would have gone 4070 super) and I've got it installed and running and everything seems to be going fine.

However, my previous GPUs were a 5700 XT and 6700 XT, which are just not in the same tier. This 3080 TI is running at 76 Celsius (which I understand is fine) and drawing like 375 - 399 watts while I'm gaming. I can hear the fans (not loud, but audible) and I can smell that faint aroma of hot electronic components. None of these were the case with my previous GPUs, so I just want to do a sanity check to see if that all seems okay.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Racing Stripe posted:

I bought a 3080 TI off a goon for $425, which was too excellent of a deal to pass up (otherwise probably would have gone 4070 super) and I've got it installed and running and everything seems to be going fine.

However, my previous GPUs were a 5700 XT and 6700 XT, which are just not in the same tier. This 3080 TI is running at 76 Celsius (which I understand is fine) and drawing like 375 - 399 watts while I'm gaming. I can hear the fans (not loud, but audible) and I can smell that faint aroma of hot electronic components. None of these were the case with my previous GPUs, so I just want to do a sanity check to see if that all seems okay.

Most 3080 Ti models have a 400W power limit by default. They also tend not to have coolers as massively overbuilt as the 4090 coolers. They're pretty much bound to run on the warm side with some audible fan noise as a result. 76C and audible but not loud fans seems pretty good to me, all things considered. If you want it to be even cooler/quieter, then you can consider undervolting. My 3080 Ti took pretty well to that, and I could usually shave off at least 70W from its power consumption without losing any performance. Here's a basic video guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE

Standard disclaimer when messing with voltages and frequencies: it is very much possible to break things if you're not careful. Undervolting is generally considered safe, maybe even safer than running the GPU stock due to using lower voltages, but it can lead to some instability when gaming, and it can take some time to dial it in right. Your PC seems like it's working fine right now, so you really don't have to worry about any of this at all if you don't want to.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Most 3080 Ti models have a 400W power limit by default. They also tend not to have coolers as massively overbuilt as the 4090 coolers. They're pretty much bound to run on the warm side with some audible fan noise as a result. 76C and audible but not loud fans seems pretty good to me, all things considered. If you want it to be even cooler/quieter, then you can consider undervolting. My 3080 Ti took pretty well to that, and I could usually shave off at least 70W from its power consumption without losing any performance. Here's a basic video guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE

Standard disclaimer when messing with voltages and frequencies: it is very much possible to break things if you're not careful. Undervolting is generally considered safe, maybe even safer than running the GPU stock due to using lower voltages, but it can lead to some instability when gaming, and it can take some time to dial it in right. Your PC seems like it's working fine right now, so you really don't have to worry about any of this at all if you don't want to.

Awesome, thank you. I've got some sort of irrational fear of my rig bursting into flame, so I think I'm just being overly cautious. If the fan noise starts getting on my nerves, I'll consider trying an undervolt.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

power crystals posted:

Yeah that's the typical reaction to trying to do anything with RGB (unless you do all corsair as mentioned, then it at least doesn't do what you want much more easily). What effect are you trying to achieve?

I’m doing a portal themed build. No crazy over the top lighting. I just wanted the rings of the fans to animate and look more like the rim of the portals in game. I’ve tried three software options now and anything animated either forces rainbow, usually to every fan, or has most of the ring unlit while an animation moves around it. Pretty much all of them also don’t account for the number of LEDs so the animations dont loop around properly. I also tried out RGB fusion and I’m starting to worry that installing gigabyte command center hosed over my new pc. Seems haunted now.

They’re just static lit atm. It doesn’t have that cool rotation effect of the lighting on the fan blades irl sadly. It’s just because of the camera speed.

I was thinking like, fading between two different shades of orange / blue or having two different shades of orange / blue circling around. I dunno, I’d love to play around but there’s nothing to play with. Kinda wild how much rgb control sucks in tyool 2024 when everyone stuffs as much lightening in their cases as will fit.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

I’m doing a portal themed build. No crazy over the top lighting. I just wanted the rings of the fans to animate and look more like the rim of the portals in game. I’ve tried three software options now and anything animated either forces rainbow, usually to every fan, or has most of the ring unlit while an animation moves around it. Pretty much all of them also don’t account for the number of LEDs so the animations dont loop around properly. I also tried out RGB fusion and I’m starting to worry that installing gigabyte command center hosed over my new pc. Seems haunted now.

They’re just static lit atm. It doesn’t have that cool rotation effect of the lighting on the fan blades irl sadly. It’s just because of the camera speed.

I was thinking like, fading between two different shades of orange / blue or having two different shades of orange / blue circling around. I dunno, I’d love to play around but there’s nothing to play with. Kinda wild how much rgb control sucks in tyool 2024 when everyone stuffs as much lightening in their cases as will fit.

I can control every led.

Like icue has presets, but you can make your own, layer them with yours, and tell individual leds on the same fan to do totally different things.

NZXT and lian li probably have their own similar control but I haven’t bothered to try theirs out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-7700-xt-is-currently-available-for-only-353

How does a 7700XT stack up at $350? I don't understand what a good price target for those parts is or when they are worth buying vs discount 6800s. It does seem like value might be back in the $300-400 range.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Twerk from Home posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-7700-xt-is-currently-available-for-only-353

How does a 7700XT stack up at $350? I don't understand what a good price target for those parts is or when they are worth buying vs discount 6800s. It does seem like value might be back in the $300-400 range.

That's actually a great deal, especially since the supply of ~$300 6700 XTs seems to have dried up

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Cheap Shot posted:

SignalRGB should let you do this. You'd need to pick one of the spiral effects and then in the layout center the fans since it's supposed to lay out the LEDs in the "box" the same way they are physically. How well this works varies a bit in practice (and I just set mine to slow fade rather than trying to cycle anything because I didn't want to spend a thousand years getting the timing/layout correct) but this is pretty much the exact thing that software was made to do. It's just super unintuitive because that way they can lead you towards their paid themes. But basically the idea is the "layout" is a 2D plane that has a color gradient on it that's calculated by the theme/effect/whatever word they use, and then you coordinate your devices by arranging them on that plane so you can put one fan in each corner or whatever.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

power crystals posted:

SignalRGB should let you do this. You'd need to pick one of the spiral effects and then in the layout center the fans since it's supposed to lay out the LEDs in the "box" the same way they are physically. How well this works varies a bit in practice (and I just set mine to slow fade rather than trying to cycle anything because I didn't want to spend a thousand years getting the timing/layout correct) but this is pretty much the exact thing that software was made to do. It's just super unintuitive because that way they can lead you towards their paid themes. But basically the idea is the "layout" is a 2D plane that has a color gradient on it that's calculated by the theme/effect/whatever word they use, and then you coordinate your devices by arranging them on that plane so you can put one fan in each corner or whatever.

I did give signalrgb a shot but I struggled to figure it out. Maybe it’s just my perma exhausted brain missing the obvious, or maybe my board and fans lacked full compatibility, but it seemed really unintuitive. The whole program was a confusing visual overload. I could go back in and try again.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Cheap Shot posted:

I did give signalrgb a shot but I struggled to figure it out. Maybe it’s just my perma exhausted brain missing the obvious, or maybe my board and fans lacked full compatibility, but it seemed really unintuitive. The whole program was a confusing visual overload. I could go back in and try again.

You just described all RGB software

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

According to TechPowerUp's reviews, it is around 15 - 20% faster than the 4060 Ti at pure rasterization, and it averages out to be the same speed as the 4060 Ti when enabling Ray Tracing. Though this means in many light RT implementations, it's the same speed or a bit faster still, and in heavy RT titles like Cyberpunk, it's much slower. In the only recent forced RT title, Avatar, the 4060 Ti and 7700 XT are tied.

I'm of the opinion that RDNA3 cards need to offer a clear value advantage over their equivalent Nvidia cards before anyone should buy them due to the lack of DLSS support, worse power efficiency, and shakier RT support. The 4060 Ti is selling for around $380 these days, with one recent dip to $344, so the 7700 XT's standard price of $450 seems pretty bad. I wouldn't pay a penny over $400 for one, while $350 is a pretty okay deal.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Cheap Shot posted:

I mean if you're happy the way it is and found that program confusing than keep what you've got. It's definitely confusing as hell and it took me a few hours to figure out what I was doing.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I realize that I'm coming up on 10 years with this build and I think it's time for a new one. I'd like to thank EVGA for their 10-year warranty PSU, but I don't know if I need to push it's limits.
What country are you in? -USA
Do you live near Microcenter? -Definitely not
What are you using the system for? Web, office, gaming.
What's your budget? It's looking like $1200ish is reasonable? It's not firm.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p/144hz max, never really taken advantage of it

Existing build is 4790k, GTX 970, 16gb DDR3. It looks like the following would be a modern version of it:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-14600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB ELITE 59.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Amazon) (I already have this)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 PG Velocita ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($97.47 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Dell Technologies)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($529.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ B&H) (I already have this)
Power Supply: *Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1482.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-09 00:15 EST-0500

A few disclaimers/notes:
-I already have the CPU cooler, admittedly an older version of it that I can buy an $8 adapter kit for the LGA1700, so if I go AM5 I have to get a new cooler.
-It seems to make sense to get the newest i5, although a lot of mobos complain about 14th gen, but it's just loading a bios flash onto a thumb drive on setup, right?
-Motherboards are making my head spin a bit, but this one has nicer audio, wifi, fast PCI-E, M2 and ethernet. It's not a huge chunk of cash to get one with the bells and whistles, right? and a Z690 board makes sense for an unlocked processor?
-Why does the mobo say "* Dedicated LGA1700 mounting bracket is required."? Do I buy that separately?

Let me know if I'm doing anything stupid or whatever. It's probably overkill but if it lasts me another 10 years of medium gaming, that's good for me.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Deceptor101 posted:

A few disclaimers/notes:
-I already have the CPU cooler, admittedly an older version of it that I can buy an $8 adapter kit for the LGA1700, so if I go AM5 I have to get a new cooler.
-It seems to make sense to get the newest i5, although a lot of mobos complain about 14th gen, but it's just loading a bios flash onto a thumb drive on setup, right?
-Motherboards are making my head spin a bit, but this one has nicer audio, wifi, fast PCI-E, M2 and ethernet. It's not a huge chunk of cash to get one with the bells and whistles, right? and a Z690 board makes sense for an unlocked processor?
-Why does the mobo say "* Dedicated LGA1700 mounting bracket is required."? Do I buy that separately?

Let me know if I'm doing anything stupid or whatever. It's probably overkill but if it lasts me another 10 years of medium gaming, that's good for me.

The CPU cooler is what it's referring to for the Dedicated LGA17000 mounting bracket so it's that $8 kit.

That board has a BIOS Flashback option so if the board doesn't have 17.03 or higher BIOS on it you can flash it to the latest BIOS and it should work.

I agree about the boards. I've been eyeing upgrading recently and have been looking at all sorts of boards. That board seems okay. The one review I saw complained about "last gen audio codec" on it, but if it works it works.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

The opinion around here seems to be that the 1400 series intel CPUs offer very little over the 13th gen CPUs, so you might be able to save a couple bucks without losing anything by going 13600 or 13700.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This 13700F is $10 cheaper than the 14600K and it will be a decent bit faster at pretty much everything, too: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-...8&skuId=6530248

I've been a proponent of the non-K i7 CPUs for a few years now. They tend to have the same core configuration as the K models with just a small decrease in clock speed. You can't overclock them, but you can still change the power limit behavior. In the 12th gen parts, using really high-speed memory could be hit-or-miss due to the inability to increase the IMC voltages, but I think that's gotten a lot better with 13th-gen parts due to the better IMC.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

It's also worth noting that in the 10 years since then (wassup fellow 10 year upgrade cycle person, long live the i5-4570, still in use in my backup computer!), AMD's processors have improved dramatically to the point where if gaming performance and power consumption are the most important things to you, a 7800x3d is now hands down the best processor you can buy. Nothing wrong with that Intel, and there are workloads where it is better, but it will use more power and be beaten on most gaming tasks. The value proposition is slightly worse for you since you cannot get a Microcenter bundle, but it's still worth looking into if you don't have other reasons not to.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 9, 2024

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Yeah, there's no real argument for Intel right now. Maybe decent value on the low end? But midrange and high end builds with gaming focus are for sure served best by AMD

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

MicroCenter just emailed me pushing a $250 bundle that includes a 12600K, 16 gigs ram, and a motherboard. That’s some pretty good value for a budget gaming build.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This 13700F is $10 cheaper than the 14600K and it will be a decent bit faster at pretty much everything, too: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-...8&skuId=6530248

I've been a proponent of the non-K i7 CPUs for a few years now. They tend to have the same core configuration as the K models with just a small decrease in clock speed. You can't overclock them, but you can still change the power limit behavior. In the 12th gen parts, using really high-speed memory could be hit-or-miss due to the inability to increase the IMC voltages, but I think that's gotten a lot better with 13th-gen parts due to the better IMC.

14th gen locked parts also have unlocked voltage control for the IMC, literally just because someone asked an Intel engineer on Reddit if that was possible, so you have no issue running high speed memory on them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, there's no real argument for Intel right now. Maybe decent value on the low end? But midrange and high end builds with gaming focus are for sure served best by AMD

The E cores are killer for highly parallel code compilation and I am begging Intel to sell me an all E core chip with 32+ E cores and 0 P.

Once 14700 pricing comes down a smidge it's going to be in a fine spot, 8+12 for hopefully less money than AMD charges for 12 big cores.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

HalloKitty posted:

My existing Corsair cooler says it only supports up to AM4, and it's just about 3 years old. I could use a stock cooler/noctua, but then I'd need to buy more case fans too. That's the main reason I'm leaning towards Intel. The comment about the non-k processor is valid, I'm 50/50 on overclocking mildly or not touching it at all.

I assume that if I go back to AM4 the advantages aren't as great?
Edit: It looks like AM4 and AM5 will mount the same, so maybe that is on the table.

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 9, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Racing Stripe posted:

MicroCenter just emailed me pushing a $250 bundle that includes a 12600K, 16 gigs ram, and a motherboard. That’s some pretty good value for a budget gaming build.

Yeah I saw this too and you could probably make a pretty solid $600 budget gaming PC with this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How do the competing $399 micro center bundles shake out, amd vs intel-wise? I guess AMD is the new hotness from this page and is the better option.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

The E cores are killer for highly parallel code compilation and I am begging Intel to sell me an all E core chip with 32+ E cores and 0 P.

Once 14700 pricing comes down a smidge it's going to be in a fine spot, 8+12 for hopefully less money than AMD charges for 12 big cores.
Wouldn’t a 7950X still outperform? Or if you’re doing serious work, obviously Threadripper is the way to go.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's been 5 years since I built the setup below. It's been great but it feels like things are getting a bit slow. I added that 27" 165 Hz monitor in 2021 I think and it feels like the 2070 struggles a bit. I would like to be able to crank up Cyberpunk 2077 a bit more for example.

What country are you in? New Zealand
Do you live near Microcenter? Nope
What are you using the system for? Gaming, shitposting and web.
What's your budget? Would be nice to keep it under $2500 NZD if possible. If only a GPU upgrade is required then that's awesome and preferable.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? High+ using 1440p 165 Hz + 1080p secondary.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA XC ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM550x (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Dell U2412M 24.0" 1920 x 1200 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Dell S2721DGF 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-10 15:03 NZDT+1300

Can I keep using the case and CPU cooler? If it's preferable to do a full new build that is.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Red_Fred posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
[
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)

Can I keep using the case and CPU cooler? If it's preferable to do a full new build that is.
The case should definitely be fine. I had one of those before I switched to a Meshify 2 Compact just because I liked it better.

The cooler should be good. If you're moving to an LGA1700 socket you can get a free mounting kit from Noctua: https://noctua.at/en/intel-lga1700-mounting-kit-order-form
You just have to supply the invoices for the cooler and your LGA1700 series CPU or motherboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Turmoil posted:

The case should definitely be fine. I had one of those before I switched to a Meshify 2 Compact just because I liked it better.

The cooler should be good. If you're moving to an LGA1700 socket you can get a free mounting kit from Noctua: https://noctua.at/en/intel-lga1700-mounting-kit-order-form
You just have to supply the invoices for the cooler and your LGA1700 series CPU or motherboard.

Cool it also looks like there is a free kit for AM5 which is potentially what I would be going for, if the thread thinks I need to upgrade my CPU?