Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Freaquency posted:

So you have a band of rubber right across the watch face at all times?

It was the style at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I work out every day, fix poo poo by hand every day and am extremely active. Watches are made to be worn and get worn in the process of your life.

Except my sub. I am very careful with that lol.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

BlindSite posted:

I work out every day, fix poo poo by hand every day and am extremely active. Watches are made to be worn and get worn in the process of your life.

Except my sub. I am very careful with that lol.

It’s kinda funny to me that the watches astronauts, pilots, and oceanographers wore into some of the harshest environments we can face are now too precious to be dented and dinged. I don’t blame you for not wanting it to get beaten up but what a change

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Most people don't have the ability to make the government pay for their personal watch if it gets broken.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Freaquency posted:

It’s kinda funny to me that the watches astronauts, pilots, and oceanographers wore into some of the harshest environments we can face are now too precious to be dented and dinged. I don’t blame you for not wanting it to get beaten up but what a change

Yeah I do kinda chuckle at it sometimes. But the ceramic bezel is so gorgeous in person I'd hate to damage it reefing an end shield off a pump or spinning a wrench on something.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Freaquency posted:

My friend in the Coast Guard MSRT got a nice Rolex upon graduation from the course & apparently a lot of folks that are stationed overseas get them, mainly as an immediate hard currency bargaining tool if they need :20bux: fast.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The Daytonas and Yachtmasters gain value pretty easily so it makes sense to wear them sparingly

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

The Daytonas and Yachtmasters gain value pretty easily so it makes sense to wear them sparingly

Depends on the yachtmaster tbh. Daytonas yeah but some yachtmasters are dogshit.

Subs hold their value, day dates / date just usually needs to be a limited-ish run to increase or hold really well.

Milgaus lol

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
It’s truly maddening to me how bad people are at loading dishwashers.

My biggest pet peeve though is when a person unloads a properly loaded dishwasher then immediately reloads it wrong.

You just saw where everything goes. What are we doing here?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I wonder how many people buy a new dishwasher because their SO is poo poo at loading the dishwasher and they don't think about how the glasses are always 100% clean only when that person is out of town.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fwiw my wife and I are 100% on the same page when it comes to how a dishwasher should be loaded but one day we looked up the manual for something unrelated and saw how they suggested and immediately went "gently caress that they're wrong"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Bosch has a horizontal flatware tray up top so at least she can't gently caress that up.

You'd think with the amount of plastic poo poo she's had to throw away from warping after being put on the bottom rack the light bulb would go off, but nope.

Also, continually puts my good goddamn knives in the machine instead of handwashing. Maddening.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

After my childhood, I've only ever had a dishwasher three times (once in the house I rented in Baltimore, once in the house I bought with my ex-wife, once in my last apartment just outside Madison after we separated). And, honestly, the only place I ever used the dishwasher was in Baltimore, because my housemates generated so loving many dirty dishes that I couldn't keep up.

But otherwise? I actually legitimately enjoy doing dishes by hand. It's relaxing and cathartic, and I get an odd sense of peace when I get to the point, like tonight, that both my sink and my dish rack are empty:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I also am the one who loads the dishwasher. My wife will put things in sometimes and I move them around to be the right way later before it gets run

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Who cares how it's loaded as long as clean dishes are available.

I'd prefer to do it every other day but my partner is someone who wants to get it as full as possible and poo poo is Tetris'd in. Cost wise it's pretty negligible and it's smaller amounts of dishes to unload! It's win-win!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Tonight, HBO 2 has a banger double feature program of Aliens followed by Robocop.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The worst thing with dishes is to me, dishes in the sink signals the dishwasher is clean / full, and my wife always puts dishes in the sink rather than just putting it in the dishwasher, so it signals to me the dishwasher is full so then I start adding tings to the sink.

It's just a really dumb habit to break.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The dish washer is a sacred place, only to be run on the holiest of holidays.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One of my biggest pet peeves is dishes in the sink. Way too often dishes just pile up and next thing you know it's a disgusting chore nobody wants to do. This was the case in college & early in my adult life without a dishwasher and now that I have one I always put dishes in the unit.

As soon as I finish cooking and just before I start eating I do a preliminary clean-up: put stuff in the dishwasher that I can & wash what can't. Bonus points for that time allowing whatever I cooked to rest & the juices to redistribute themselves.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

BlindSite posted:

Depends on the yachtmaster tbh. Daytonas yeah but some yachtmasters are dogshit.

Subs hold their value, day dates / date just usually needs to be a limited-ish run to increase or hold really well.

Milgaus lol

Subs kinda go nowhere. Unless you’ve got one of the cool color combos. But standard subs are pretty nominal.

Which yachtmaster hasn’t gained? Maybe I’m only familiar with a few - the 1s and the 2s.

The blue/gold/white 2 sells for like 2.5x what it did before. Daytons are insanely priced at some color combos.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

Subs kinda go nowhere. Unless you’ve got one of the cool color combos. But standard subs are pretty nominal.

Which yachtmaster hasn’t gained? Maybe I’m only familiar with a few - the 1s and the 2s.

The blue/gold/white 2 sells for like 2.5x what it did before. Daytons are insanely priced at some color combos.

Hulk, bluesy even the black no date I've got are all selling for more than retail. At least based on the market here.

A lot of them are listed high in yachtmasters but they don't really move, from what I've heard.

Tbh though it's like any other investment. Going to be bad weeks and months but overtime, generally, other than the big correction a few years ago you're not going to lose money.

I know the yellow gold and blue yachtmaster you're referring too and it's an ugly piece of poo poo. I hate it so much lol.

The think only two models are tracking up this year but that's probably as much to do with the economy globally trending badly.

In any event. You're not going to get rich buying a watch but you won't lose it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Timby posted:

But otherwise? I actually legitimately enjoy doing dishes by hand. It's relaxing and cathartic, and I get an odd sense of peace

I’ve never had one, but yeah I like to smoke and just fade out just doing dishes. Little vacation from dad life haha.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

seiferguy posted:

The worst thing with dishes is to me, dishes in the sink signals the dishwasher is clean / full, and my wife always puts dishes in the sink rather than just putting it in the dishwasher, so it signals to me the dishwasher is full so then I start adding tings to the sink.

It's just a really dumb habit to break.
I've managed to standardize my household on "detergent in the dispenser means the dishes are dirty" and even the in-laws understand it now when they visit, it's great

a sexual elk posted:

I’ve never had one, but yeah I like to smoke and just fade out just doing dishes. Little vacation from dad life haha.
Similarly, I use it for social breaks during parties or when hosting dinner. Luckily there are always dishes that don't belong in the dishwasher.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

BlindSite posted:

A lot of them are listed high in yachtmasters but they don't really move, from what I've heard.

I know the yellow gold and blue yachtmaster you're referring too and it's an ugly piece of poo poo. I hate it so much lol.

Might be the market there, because they’re absolutely selling. The market in Palm Beach is large and they’re constantly going for way above retail.

And i think you’re nuts! Tons of folks love that design myself included. that watch is like 3x the watch a basic sub is lol but agree to disagree I guess. I can see the simple design being preferred but phew. The face on the YM2 is so nice

Edit honestly I think navitimer looks better than either now that I think about it haha

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 9, 2024

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a sexual elk posted:

Even when I was married, I enjoyed doing the dishes by hand. And now that I've lived alone for ... Jesus, six years, it's just kind of a nightly ritual for me.

Occasionally the dishes pile up when I'm in a depressive funk, which happened last week, there wasn't a single clean plate or fork in my apartment. And then I went to loving town and when everything was done, I was like, "OK, Papa's got a brand new bag."

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

Might be the market there, because they’re absolutely selling. The market in Palm Beach is large and they’re constantly going for way above retail.

And i think you’re nuts! Tons of folks love that design myself included. that watch is like 3x the watch a basic sub is lol but agree to disagree I guess. I can see the simple design being preferred but phew. The face on the YM2 is so nice

Edit honestly I think navitimer looks better than either now that I think about it haha

I've always just liked steel tbh which is why my grail is a steel panda daytona and I got black ceramic sub. I like some of the plain yachtmasters but the colourful ones are gross and yeah you could sell anything that shines in that market I would think.

But I also have wristlet wrists so anything bigger than 40mm looks stupid.

As long as you don't like hublot we can still be watch friends.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone know if those battery-powered heated vests are worthwhile? I'm thinking of getting one for my skiing trip next weekend. I'd be wearing it over my jacket so I'd go one size up, would I get too hot?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Can always turn it off if you do no?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I'm usually the only one in the house to touch the dishwasher, and the utensils go in downwards so that I can grab them wholesale when removing them and not have to worry about a knife blade I didn't see.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Abugadu posted:

I'm usually the only one in the house to touch the dishwasher, and the utensils go in downwards so that I can grab them wholesale when removing them and not have to worry about a knife blade I didn't see.

That's the way I always loaded a dishwasher, especially after I started anticoagulation. I don't want to get nicked by a sharp blade and gush blood all over the rest of the clean dishes.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Freaquency posted:

Yeah it is funny, but makes sense. Kinda like owning an antique car or a world war 1 pistol, it was built to be used and take abuse but also is a collectors item you don’t want to ding up.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Abugadu posted:

This is the way.

My wife points the cutlery up except for the knives, and also tends to crowd it all into just 2 or 3 of the compartments for it. Which... yes I understand that they can all fit in there but A: it means they're bunched together and they sometimes don't get cleaned as well and B: the extra space that frees up doesn't ever get much use. It'd be like riding a bus and insisting on cramming everyone into half the seats and leaving the rest empty.

I'm also somehow the only person on the house who understands rinsing the dishes before they go in so stuff doesn't get caked/dried on before we have a full load ready to go. :sigh:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I appreciate hearing how everyone apparently has the same dish problems at home that I do.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://x.com/zanyfen/status/1755737230532866410?s=20

We live in weird, insane times where all you can do is laugh and shake your head, with a warm smile.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://x.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1755748231760183771?s=20

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Abugadu posted:

Knife blades go down, rest of the utensils go in handle down AND in their own separate compartment thing. Big spoons, small spoons, big forks etc. then you can just carry the whole thing over to the pancake drawer and you don’t have to sort when putting them in the tray.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Even as much as I like watches, above a certain price point they just don’t appeal to me much? I guess I’m not their target demo.

Like I honestly would struggle to buy a watch I couldn’t wear kinda hard or one that doesn’t keep particularly good time. So water resistance and solar quartz dominated my very small and decidedly mediocre stable. Rugged and interesting are really my big interests.

Love my watches though, even though I don’t have anything particularly nice or expensive.

About the most I’d drop might be a few k on Seiko turtle rerelease or something, but even that gets my heart rate up burning that much on a trinket.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Knife blades go down, rest of the utensils go in handle down AND in their own separate compartment thing. Big spoons, small spoons, big forks etc. then you can just carry the whole thing over to the pancake drawer and you don’t have to sort when putting them in the tray.

This is the way.

My wife thinks she loads it in organized way and it is a haphazard mess. If it’s possible to be driven very slightly crazy, that’s what happens to me. Relief that I didn’t actually do the dishes, but a heavy quiet sigh when I open it and see the carnage.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 9, 2024

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Now i'm just more excited for the Knowledge Fight episode on this next week

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Anyone know if those battery-powered heated vests are worthwhile? I'm thinking of getting one for my skiing trip next weekend. I'd be wearing it over my jacket so I'd go one size up, would I get too hot?

Get one, they're great. My wife has a full on heated jacket but I have a vest and that's all you really need. The battery packs last quite a while too. Why would you wear it over your jacket tho? I go under to keep the warmth in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I don’t have a dishwasher AMA