Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39485229/alcs-mvp-adolis-garcia-avoids-arbitration-rangers

2/$14m for Adolis Garcia seems cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Arb years so its probably pretty close to correct if he'd lost his arb hearing.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

bawfuls posted:

you may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

I thought peak performance was a centaur.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

more falafel please posted:

gently caress do i ever want to go to a goddamn ballgame right now

Finally back in Chicago and I am stoked to go to multiple Wrigley games this year. I am absolutely going to be that rear end in a top hat who calls in sick so I can go drink Schlitz in the bleachers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Finally back in Chicago and I am stoked to go to multiple Wrigley games this year. I am absolutely going to be that rear end in a top hat who calls in sick so I can go drink Schlitz in the bleachers.

Schlitz? The beer that made MILWAUKEE FAMOUS??

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Schlitz? The beer that made MILWAUKEE FAMOUS??

You better believe it. :smugdog:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My strongest memories of my late grandfather on my mom's side are sitting next to him on a pier off Lake Michigan while he fished and slowly buried himself in Schlitz cans, and even as a six year old I could tell drat, this guy's absolutely living his best life I hope I can one day get here.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

secular woods sex posted:

I thought peak performance was a centaur.

I wonder if that one guy I sent the fathead to still has it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/FoulTerritoryTV/status/1755678378366062816

Hader defending not giving it his all while also saying that he did give it his all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

live with fruit posted:

Hader defending not giving it his all while also saying that he did give it his all.

he gave his all for exactly one inning and tbqh he's 100% right

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Lindor is weirdly underrated now, I think a lot of people wrote him off after his underwhelming first year in NY and haven't realised he's been the best SS in baseball over the last 2 seasons

last year he put up 6 WAR and didn't even make the ASG :cmon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

you may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

I don't like it.

I love it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

He's not wrong, if Saves are what teams will pay for in arb and free agency, then players are going to want to focus on getting them.

yet another reason why it's a dumb stat and needs to die sooner than later

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
He talks about not coming into a game, and he's definitely referring to a specific game that Melvin called him out for not being available for, then frames it as "What if I blew it?," then says that he gave it his all. He's right that the system encourages players to look out for themselves but he's also trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Here it is:

https://twitter.com/AJCassavell/status/1706537513379405901

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 9, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Any time I see people saying the Padres were in the playoff race when that happened I just kind of chuckle

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Glad the yanks didn't sign the KKK guy who doesn't pitch when they tell him to go into the game. He's on the right team now.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

Any time I see people saying the Padres were in the playoff race when that happened I just kind of chuckle

They finished like 2 games out of the WC

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah but the DBacks barely even tried in the final series of the season since their spot was locked in

So in theory Hader's decision also helped the Astros win the division :toot:

(not that it mattered in the end)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

That said while you do not, in fact, have to hand it to Josh Hader he was right. He was the new Andrew Miller as a multi-inning shutdown elite reliever, and the Brewers and Padres hosed him for that in arb. The teams are mask off trying to get theirs, he should try to get his. It's 100% more valuable to have a Miller/Hader type who can go 2-3 innings and be unhittable than to be The Closer, and the teams know that, so if they're gonna pretend they don't know that in arbitration, they can reap what they sow.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

more falafel please posted:

That said while you do not, in fact, have to hand it to Josh Hader he was right. He was the new Andrew Miller as a multi-inning shutdown elite reliever, and the Brewers and Padres hosed him for that in arb. The teams are mask off trying to get theirs, he should try to get his. It's 100% more valuable to have a Miller/Hader type who can go 2-3 innings and be unhittable than to be The Closer, and the teams know that, so if they're gonna pretend they don't know that in arbitration, they can reap what they sow.

The Padres didn't take him to arbitration.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

R.D. Mangles posted:

they're releasing some renderings of the proposed new sox park
https://x.com/tahmanbradley/status/1755368770594345194?s=20

https://twitter.com/starlinechicago/status/1755425708115919258

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chicacago is an accurate summary of the city's pro sports landscape

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Isn't that the name of the bat in Ace Ventura 2

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Chicago? More like Chi-caca-go.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

were they AI generated?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
All hail the Chickamaga White Sox

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bregor posted:

Isn't that the name of the bat in Ace Ventura 2

SHAKAKA

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

chicacago is an accurate summary of the city's pro sports landscape

Hey at least we have Kahleah Copper. Now to take a biiiiiig sip of milk and check the news

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

N: Rays extended Kevin Cash and Neander through 2028.

V: get them rings already so we can build the Kevin Cash Pulling Blake Snell statue in the rotunda

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eric the Mauve posted:

Making allowances for era differences, Luke Appling was almost certainly the most similar player in history to Jeter. Appling was also a relatively low power/high average hitter with a very long career whose glove could be carried at shortstop by his bat but not much better than that. Appling is a bit ahead of Jeter in [insert your favorite fancystat here], but basically his whole career was pre-integration which brings them to basically even or Jeter a little ahead. Very similar players overall. But hardly anyone who follows baseball even knows who the hell Luke Appling was anymore, whereas I'm very confident that in 2080 everyone who follows baseball will have some idea who Derek Jeter was, because Appling played his whole career for a down-and-out franchise in the WS-only era and never appeared in a postseason game.

People will remember Luke Applying for this dinger

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Harrelson sucked fuckin rear end, chisox should put that dork in the past.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

At work today they're having a dumb "Superbowl Tailgate snack day". They invited us to wear our favorite team's gear, even if they're not in the Superbowl. So I'm wearing Cubs stuff today. I'm ready for baseball, yo.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Harrelson sucked fuckin rear end, chisox should put that dork in the past.

Counterpoint: STRETCH!!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chicacago is where all the señoritas are

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Chicacago is where all the señoritas are

Actually that's Pilsen and Little Village

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Arb years so its probably pretty close to correct if he'd lost his arb hearing.

This is one of those things that bugs me about MLB. If a player like Garcia doesn't make it to the big leagues until he's older (in this case, his rookie season he was 28), then his earning potential will be limited, because his prime will probably be over when he's entering free agency.

I am sure it makes sense in the grand scheme of things, but I feel bad for these late-bloomers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Forrest on Fire posted:

Actually that's Pilsen and Little Village

I lived in a neighborhood literally called Hermosa.

It's where the Latin Kings started.

Which is to say, this is Hermosa erasure. (Also Pilsen is getting less and less Hispanic as the gentrification takes hold. Sigh.)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

I lived in a neighborhood literally called Hermosa.

It's where the Latin Kings started.

Which is to say, this is Hermosa erasure. (Also Pilsen is getting less and less Hispanic as the gentrification takes hold. Sigh.)

drat. I haven't been following gentrification patterns and just made a dumb joke that was wrong for it.

Hermosa is the birthplace of Walt Disney so I wouldn't have ever thought to name drop it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Sydin posted:

Looking forward to hopefully making this year my first Wrigley trip (Cards fan).