Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first episode of a Raelians documentary on Netflix and it was extremely bizarre. Just very poorly done with no really solid explanation as to what their belief system actually was and it comes across as very pro cult with the only interviews being with current, long time, members. Maybe subsequent episodes have more pushback against their claims but that first episode doesn't really make it seem like there will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Your biggest mistake is watching a Netflix documentary. I’m sure there’s still some OK ones produced, but there’s so much filler I just skip them all now.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I'm such a sucker for historical comedies. I'm in. I like Noel Fielding when he's well-utilized and generally find his shtick quite charming, but he can definitely cross over into obnoxious territory. I'm hoping he's somewhat reeled in here, because from the trailer it looks a bit like a one man show.

I saw at least one joke that's he's been telling since the Mighty Boosh days "We're new school"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joe Manganiello's Dragonlance adaptation is dead due to the Hasbro sale. He says he even tried to just buy the franchise outright to continue the project but nothing doing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

muscles like this! posted:

Joe Manganiello's Dragonlance adaptation is dead due to the Hasbro sale. He says he even tried to just buy the franchise outright to continue the project but nothing doing.

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds! :mad:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uggghhhhh that really makes me sad. D&D is having a renaissance due to the movie and Baldurs Gate 3, and I've been getting back in to it. I loved Dragonlance as a kid and while I knew it was a long shot it was hopeful he might right the wrongs of the God awful animated film

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's that? More Game of Thrones, this one is another prequel. Going further back in time to Aegon the Conqueror's invasion of Westeros.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

EL BROMANCE posted:

Your biggest mistake is watching a Netflix documentary. I’m sure there’s still some OK ones produced, but there’s so much filler I just skip them all now.

I quite like all the food ones and that's it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

What's that? More Game of Thrones, this one is another prequel. Going further back in time to Aegon the Conqueror's invasion of Westeros.

Fantasy Norman invasion lets go

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

"We have Jack of All Trades at home." :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G4QsXwZFNY
Trailer for the follow up to Mutant Mayhem. Interesting to see that they ditched the 3d for more traditional animation albeit in the same style.

Speaking of Paramount Plus, Halo is back and it has gone through a pretty big retooling between seasons.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would have killed to see cartoon shows look that good when I was a kid.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah that animation is fantastic.

Mordiceius posted:

"We have Jack of All Trades at home." :colbert:

My first thought in watching the trailer was "I like Noel Fielding but he's no Bruce Campbell..."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Ted was surprisingly good.

Shageletic posted:

Trying to figure out why the UK one sucks so hard and gonna throw a stupid theory out there. The original Drunk History was based off a comedian noticing how earnest and passionate his friends got about history when they got hammered (i.e. Jake Johnson almost crying about Otis Redding dying) and decided to make a show about it including his friends. Mostly it's funny because alcohol breaks through Americans instinctive aversion towards historical knowledge and elitism into something odd and sweet.

The British version, from what I've seen, was a nasty and horrible demonstration of strangers trying to show off their historical knowledge, reinforcing the standard positive images held by many in England regarding historical knowledge justifying elitism. There is no subversion there, its an annoying guy at a party trying to own you with their big brain, which feels like a more European thing to happen than in the States.

Anyway huge generalizations for everyone!
I didn't get too far into the UK version, but the standout difference for me was that the drunken Brits were trying to be the center of attention which directly undercut the reenactment portion of the show.

It's the difference between wanting knowledge to be communicated, and wanting to be the one to communicate that knowledge.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

feedmyleg posted:

My first thought in watching the trailer was "I like Noel Fielding but he's no Bruce Campbell..."

Also there's persistent rumors that he's a sex pest of the Russel Brand variety so...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

feedmyleg posted:

I went on a mad scavenger hunt to find that show a few years back. Couldn't buy it digitally anywhere so I finally ended up buying a box set of the DVDs and ripping them myself. The intro is so good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Speaking of Paramount Plus, Halo is back and it has gone through a pretty big retooling between seasons.

Is there a solid recap of Season 1 anywhere? I bounced HARD off ep 1 of the first season. Really felt kinda cringey. But I'm interested in a retooled version. (I just dont' want to have to force myself to watch season 1)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BonoMan posted:

Is there a solid recap of Season 1 anywhere? I bounced HARD off ep 1 of the first season. Really felt kinda cringey. But I'm interested in a retooled version. (I just dont' want to have to force myself to watch season 1)

Honestly, it's still 90% poo poo, so don't bother.

It's just that the 5% which was good before is now making up 10% of the whole.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

BonoMan posted:

They didn't finish the fight

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I enjoyed season 1 quite a bit so the new season is even better.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PriorMarcus posted:

Ah thanks for the heads up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I’m gonna say it’s 11% good now that they added in the bit about the suit jacking him off making it canon

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This season of Traitors rocks because two of the three traitors are playing awfully. Can just picture the producers behind the camera's going poo poo poo poo poo poo, how can we help these guys out so we can get to ~14 episodes.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I would have killed to see cartoon shows look that good when I was a kid.

Same. Also Beast Wars.

PriorMarcus posted:

Also there's persistent rumors that he's a sex pest of the Russel Brand variety so...

Noooooooooooo! Please don’t take Richard Ayoade from me too. Seriously. I miss the old days of Big Fat Quiz Show and thinking Noel and Russell were just cheeky ragamuffins taking the piss out of the ruling establishment. Fairly obvious about Brand in retrospect but still… not Noel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ayoade already provided a pull quote for Linehan’s book unfortunately

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Oh goddamn it :(

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Anyone else watching Death and Other Details?

I think I could forgive the cheap CGI backgrounds if Mandy Patinkin would stop this terrible and embarrassing British accent. Just talk like yourself already Saul Berenson

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

th3t00t posted:

Anyone else watching Death and Other Details?

I think I could forgive the cheap CGI backgrounds if Mandy Patinkin would stop this terrible and embarrassing British accent. Just talk like yourself already Saul Berenson

Yeah, i'm watching it, but mostly because Violett Beane is stunning. I'm fascinated in how they dress her to show off her 90 degree shoulders.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 10, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sometimes I feel like they cast attractive people in television shows just to get our attention.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hey, if it works, it works. I would watch Hugh Laurie read the instruction manual to Mechwarrior 2.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

What is up with Paramount+, I subbed for the free month to check out this dumb Halo show, but the app never remembers my place if I stop mid-show, always starts from the beginning. Pretty annoying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Paramount Plus is one of the worst players on the market.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

using that app is torture and i’m not surprised it still sucks since i ditched the service a year ago

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AcidCat posted:

What is up with Paramount+, I subbed for the free month to check out this dumb Halo show, but the app never remembers my place if I stop mid-show, always starts from the beginning. Pretty annoying.

Had the same thing happen when I was watching s2ep2 and when I restarted it showed the Halsey scene again. I thought it was supposed to be deliberate that they were doing the exact same thing again.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Speaking of Halo, they didn't learn any lessons from season 1, did they? This Dracula won't surf goddammit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The second episode ends with the Covenant on Reach and they've been advertising this season all around the fall of Reach so they have to eventually get to the fireworks factory.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

that's the thing about British comedy, tons of comedians come out of the Oxbridge system

Generally specifically Cambridge University and even more specifically the Footlights comedy club there. It's a very cliquey in-group. I mean look at this lot - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Footlights_members

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Mr. and Mrs. Smith is such an odd show, is it supposed to be an awkward comedy?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oasx posted:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is such an odd show, is it supposed to be an awkward comedy?
It's supposed to transcend genres probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I watched a compilation of 8 out of 10 cats do countdown on YouTube and it looked fun and then I watched an actual episode and it was like 70% unfunny banter and 30% gameshow. Is that typical?