Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Funky Valentine posted:

How else is she going to get top of the line #content?

Oh absolutely, but the fact that the Vees collectively seem to only really count as one "overlord" narratively is probably how Velvette will fall. She may be the backbone, but Vox and Valentino both handle a huge amount of their actual soul gathering and control systems.

Valentino manages the general employment and might be the "raw power" of the three. Vox has the hypnotic mind control and wide range of tv powers he shows off. Velvette on her own doesn't really show any impressive supernatural powers, although she probably has them.

Without Vox and Valentino, disaster men they are, I think Velvette might struggle to have as much presence in overlord politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Valentino's the one who's shown defusing and manipulating Vox quite effectively, not to mention he seems good at manipulation on a one on one basis even without the venom. (Especially if you subscribe to the theory he was very much deliberately creeping out Charlie to try to get her out of the room) And he displays the key skill any abuser develops; to isolate his victims and carefully maintain a public vs private face with them.

They're very much all toxic people, but in a mutually beneficial relationship, that they recognise- again, even if the dynamic is definitely each one thinking they're obviously carrying the other two. Though they do seem to have some clearly defined roles in their media operation; Vox managing the technical aspects, including what's implied to be lowkey hypnosis and possibly skimming bits of souls, Val personally directing the productions and, ahem, managing the talent, and Vel overseeing brand direction and being the point of contact with other Overlords, and probably other figures of importance in an official capacity. Or something along those lines, Vel also seems to handle the fashion side of things.

pik_d posted:

Sera was briefly horrified that he showed up, wasn't she? I think she realized that Charlie was right in that moment. I don't think anyone else has ever made the transfer via death like this. Lucifer fell, Lilith made a deal to hide out in heaven, but nothing like this has happened before.

I really hope Adam comes back in hell as a mirror of this.

It's likely as much because Sera's entire argument relies on her being correct that redemption isn't possible, and that Charlie and Emily are at best misguided idealists. If she's wrong- which Pentious is now living (so to speak) proof of- then she's been supporting horrific atrocities for really no good reason, while claiming all along they were unfortunate but necessary.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
It's going to be interesting to see whether Sera accepts that she was wrong or falls into denial.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Annointed posted:

Keith david is a global treasure

The man only has one voice yet somehow every character he plays still sounds unique, that’s impressive to be honest

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Valentino's the one who's shown defusing and manipulating Vox quite effectively, not to mention he seems good at manipulation on a one on one basis even without the venom. (Especially if you subscribe to the theory he was very much deliberately creeping out Charlie to try to get her out of the room) And he displays the key skill any abuser develops; to isolate his victims and carefully maintain a public vs private face with them.

They're very much all toxic people, but in a mutually beneficial relationship, that they recognise- again, even if the dynamic is definitely each one thinking they're obviously carrying the other two. Though they do seem to have some clearly defined roles in their media operation; Vox managing the technical aspects, including what's implied to be lowkey hypnosis and possibly skimming bits of souls, Val personally directing the productions and, ahem, managing the talent, and Vel overseeing brand direction and being the point of contact with other Overlords, and probably other figures of importance in an official capacity. Or something along those lines, Vel also seems to handle the fashion side of things.

It's likely as much because Sera's entire argument relies on her being correct that redemption isn't possible, and that Charlie and Emily are at best misguided idealists. If she's wrong- which Pentious is now living (so to speak) proof of- then she's been supporting horrific atrocities for really no good reason, while claiming all along they were unfortunate but necessary.

Considering its her and Pentious right now, dare I hope for an It Starts With Sorry reprise?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, for all we know Pentious is going to start spreading the teachings of Charlie Morningstar to Heaven (she’s already got Emily in her corner after all)

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Larryb posted:

The man only has one voice yet somehow every character he plays still sounds unique, that’s impressive to be honest

Feels like he was doing A Voice for Husker early on but quickly abandoned it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Karanas posted:

It's going to be interesting to see whether Sera accepts that she was wrong or falls into denial.

she's a passive aggressive NIMBY, i bet she will publicly accept it to save face after the extermination became a clown fiesta but privately undermine the new arrivals' experience in heaven

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

Feels like he was doing A Voice for Husker early on but quickly abandoned it

Huh, I’d have to go back and watch the earlier episodes again to check. Maybe at first he was trying to emulate Mick Lauer‘s performance from the pilot but by episode 4 at least he was firmly back to being Keith David playing Keith David

On another note, I wonder what got Pent sent to Hell in the first place since it’s been clear from day 1 that he really sucks at being evil

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Stole balloons on free balloon day

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Larryb posted:

On another note, I wonder what got Pent sent to Hell in the first place since it’s been clear from day 1 that he really sucks at being evil

How much does intention factor into damnation? Maybe while he was alive, he really wanted to do evil but he never succeeded but his constant desire and attempt to do bad is what got him sent to Hell.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There’s a theory that Pentious has a son based on his reaction to Angel’s “daddy” taunt, but I’m pretty certain that man died a virgin

Also notes about Pentious’s rebirth:

- he manifested in the seraphims’ room, not at the pearly gates
- he has six points on his hair/hood, giving the look of six wings
- Isaiah describes a “saraph” as a flaming serpent
- A serpent damned mankind, but another serpent may give it its best chance at redemption

Anyway I think Pentious is a seraphim now

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 9, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

There’s a theory that Pentious has a son based on his reaction to Angel’s “daddy” taunt, but I’m pretty certain that man died a virgin

Pentious died in the late 1800’s so any children he might have had would probably be dead by now too. But yeah, that kiss with Cherri and being assaulted at the bar is likely the most action that man’s ever seen

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Pentious died in the late 1800’s so any children he might have had would probably be dead by now too. But yeah, that kiss with Cherri and being assaulted at the bar is likely the most action that man’s ever seen

Given the club’s name, I tell myself those guys let him go once they realized he wasn’t into it, because I hate the black comedy rape trope. It’s the one place I’m disappointed they went there in this series.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 9, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Given the club’s name, I tell myself those guys let him go once they realized he wasn’t into it, because I hate the black comedy tape trope. It’s the one place I’m disappointed they went there in this series.

Yeah, agreed on that one honestly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given he's actually not a halfway bad commander I get the feeling Pentius legit served in the military when alive.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Who was it who said Lucifer didn't have a nose?

Bet you feel foolish now.

:haw:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Died in the late 1800s. Military experience. In hell.

Uh oh which confederate general is he?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rosalind posted:

nah more likely some nebbish general that missed the civil war because of age so he ended up doing various genocides out west or desk duty somewhere until he died of cholera or something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rosalind posted:

The use of steampunk and slight accent implies he’s British

As does SIR Pentious

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I was thinking Prussian or something as he kinda feels vaguely that vibe/ Napoleonic but he's certainly at least European.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Someone asks Sir Pentious where he’s from and he says “the Hazbin hotel” because that’s the first place he made friends

Also did anyone notice that when Niffty is in the 666 news crawl she’s staring wide eyed at the camera like she did in episode 1?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Given how (mentally) young and innocent he seems, I imagine he was some eager young ensign with inventing as a hobby who got speared through the head as soon as he left dear old Blighty. All his actual combat experience and engineering knowledge comes from turf wars in hell.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Given how (mentally) young and innocent he seems, I imagine he was some eager young ensign with inventing as a hobby who got speared through the head as soon as he left dear old Blighty. All his actual combat experience and engineering knowledge comes from turf wars in hell.

I’ve decided this is my headcanon origin for him thank you

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nodosaur posted:

he’s British
Ah so that's why he's in Hell.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How much is canonically known about the various Sinners mortal lives anyway? Or is it just their death year, the fact that Alastor was a serial killer, and the fact Angel and his family were all mobsters (though his sister somehow made it into heaven regardless)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 9, 2024

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think you just listed everything we know

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Pentious is Horatio Hornblower but the realistic version rather than the pip pip cheerio one.
Left England, immediately got blown up to death.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

How much is canonically known about the various Sinners mortal lives anyway? Or is it just their death year, the fact that Alastor was a serial killer, and the fact Angel and his family were all mobsters (though his sister somehow made it into heaven regardless)

Yeah we don't know all that much yet about the various sinners when they were alive. Alastor we probably know the most because we know the specific year he died, we know he was a serial killer, he knew Mimzy when he was alive, and we know how he died (got shot in the head by a deer hunter while he was in the wood burying a body)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

A lot of the details about who the characters before they died is a bit iffy until confirmed in the show's canon. Angel Dust for example while looking and talking like a young man was 37 when he died from an overdose. While Sir Pentious was 40 last I heard and died from organ failure (specifically the gall bladder). Going by helluva boss and what happens when a sinner goes to hell it seems they get a good chunk of their youth and vitality back. So in a weird way death is a rebirth of sorts and your physical age in hell might be more reflective of your mental age.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Iymarra posted:

Pentious is Horatio Hornblower but the realistic version rather than the pip pip cheerio one.
Left England, immediately got blown up to death.

no he was flashman but without the problematic horrors and the sex addiction.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
About missing for 7 years...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Post-Finale Live Q&A with (some of) the cast starts in less than fifteen minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZmdTfkhwEU

Hazbin Hotel Creator Vivienne Medrano answers fan questions alongside cast members Erika Henningsen (Charlie), Amir Talai (Alastor), Blake Roman (Angel Dust), Joel Perez (Valentino), and Jessica Vosk (Lute) from Prime Video’s hit new series, Hazbin Hotel!

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I've heard complaints about what VA's are paid but Medrano seems like she would be pretty fair. Is there anything out there on that subject?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

KORNOLOGY posted:

I've heard complaints about what VA's are paid but Medrano seems like she would be pretty fair. Is there anything out there on that subject?

I can't imagine the VA's not being paid well, they are from broadway, most seem well known. They're not going to earn peanuts. Plus they got the whole Amazon money behind them, not that the budget is rumored to be that big or anything.

Them being from Boardway is why we didn't get the OG cast as well, lots of theories and what not, but the original Alastors singing voice out right stated it was because Viv wanted people from Broadway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flopsy posted:

A lot of the details about who the characters before they died is a bit iffy until confirmed in the show's canon. Angel Dust for example while looking and talking like a young man was 37 when he died from an overdose. While Sir Pentious was 40 last I heard and died from organ failure (specifically the gall bladder). Going by helluva boss and what happens when a sinner goes to hell it seems they get a good chunk of their youth and vitality back. So in a weird way death is a rebirth of sorts and your physical age in hell might be more reflective of your mental age.

I imagine Angel Dust in particular probably felt a new lease on life, being a gay man in the 1940s iirc and all in a place where nobody cares about that. (Much) Also probably helps that sinners are semi-immortal and seem to mostly remain in ideal health, at least physically. ...also would explain a lot that they're in a big shithole where there's no incentive not to act like an unsupervised teenager.

Is still funny that while Pentious ate poo poo immediately trying to use that death ray he never gets to fire, he's still about the only one who actually organises tactics and gives orders in the battle, with artillery barrages and all, while everyone else mostly just charges in to duke it out with their superpowers or just stab whoever's in front of them. Tends to be how it goes with cartoon battles.

Kinda lol if this time he gets to go to heaven because he's fighting against the genocidal superpower.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

I can't imagine the VA's not being paid well, they are from broadway, most seem well known. They're not going to earn peanuts. Plus they got the whole Amazon money behind them, not that the budget is rumored to be that big or anything.

Them being from Boardway is why we didn't get the OG cast as well, lots of theories and what not, but the original Alastors singing voice out right stated it was because Viv wanted people from Broadway.

Is Keith David also a Broadway actor? I mostly just know him from his VA and on camera work

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
The Thing

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

Is Keith David also a Broadway actor? I mostly just know him from his VA and on camera work

Keith David is a national treasure.

Not sure if he's ever done any broadway work but yeah, movies, TV, VA and more he's done it.

Vaggie's VA has been on Brooklyn 99 as Rosa. Never seen the show but people picked up on her quick.

But bar far most of the cast is from broadway, though they may have dabbled in other things as well, that's not uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vaggie's VA voiced the main character in an extremely popular Disney movie not to long ago.