Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
guess the groundhog didn't see his shadow this year ahahahaha hahahahahaha AHAHAHAHAHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
iirc the doomsday econ thread went over general strike stuff. consensus was that the pandemic, "quiet quitting" and people digging their heels in on work from home was probably as close to a general strike as we'll probably see. and capital took notice. anything's possible i guess for a no-poo poo ground up everything stops strike though. would probably take a lot.

also it's like 60F in an area where it shouldn't be 60F in february. if people start mowing their lawns im gonna find out what lay beyond crack ping lol, lmao.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

with AI we can dream of even bigger co2 removal facilities in iceland

lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Jury awards climate scientist Michael Mann $1 million in defamation lawsuit

WASHINGTON (AP) — A jury on Thursday awarded $1 million to climate scientist Michael Mann who sued a pair of conservative writers 12 years ago after they compared his depictions of global warming to a convicted child molester.

Mann, a professor of climate science at the University of Pennsylvania, rose to fame for a graph first published in 1998 in the journal Nature that was dubbed the “hockey stick” for its dramatic illustration of a warming planet.

The work brought Mann wide exposure but also many skeptics, including the two writers Mann took to court for comments that he said affected his career and reputation in the U.S. and internationally.

“It feels great,” Mann said Thursday after the six-person jury delivered its verdict. ”It’s a good day for us, it’s a good day for science.”

In 2012, a libertarian think tank named the Competitive Enterprise Institute published a blog post by Rand Simberg, then a fellow at the organization, that compared investigations into Mann’s work to the case of Jerry Sandusky, a former assistant football coach at Penn State University who was convicted of sexually assaulting multiple children. At the time, Mann also worked at Penn State.

Mann’s research was investigated after his and other scientists’ emails were leaked in 2009 in an incident that brought further scrutiny of the “hockey stick” graph, with skeptics claiming Mann manipulated data. Investigations by Penn State and others found no misuse of data by Mann, but his work continued to draw attacks, particularly from conservatives.

“Mann could be said to be the Jerry Sandusky of climate science, except for instead of molesting children, he has molested and tortured data,” Simberg wrote. Another writer, Mark Steyn, later referenced Simberg’s article in his own piece in National Review, calling Mann’s research “fraudulent.”

The jury in Superior Court of the District of Columbia found that Simberg and Steyn made false statements, awarding Mann $1 in compensatory damages from each writer. It awarded punitive damages of $1,000 from Simberg and $1 million from Steyn, after finding that the pair made their statements with “maliciousness, spite, ill will, vengeance or deliberate intent to harm.”

During the trial, Steyn represented himself, but said through his manager Melissa Howes that he would be appealing the $1 million award in punitive damages, saying it would have to face “due process scrutiny.”

Mann argued that he had lost grant funding as a result of the blog posts — an assertion for which both defendants said Mann did not provide sufficient evidence. The writers countered during the trial that Mann instead became one of the world’s most well-known climate scientists in the years after their comments.

“We always said that Mann never suffered any actual injury from the statement at issue,” Steyn said on Thursday through his manager. “And today, after twelve years, the jury awarded him one dollar in compensatory damages.”

Simberg’s attorney Mark DeLaquil said his client was “disappointed in the verdict” and would appeal the jury’s decision.

Both writers argued that they were merely stating opinions.

Lyrissa Lidsky, a constitutional law professor at the University of Florida, said it was clear the jurors found that Steyn and Simberg had “recklessly disregarded the falsity of their statements.” She added that the discrepancy between what the jury awarded in compensatory and punitive damages could result in the judge reducing the punitive damages.

Many scientists have followed Mann’s case for years as misinformation about climate change has grown on some social media platforms.

“I hope people think twice before they lie and defame scientists,” said Kate Cell of Union of Concerned Scientists. Her work as senior climate campaign manager includes tracking misinformation related to climate change.

“We are so far outside the bounds of a civil conversation about facts that I hope this verdict can help us find our way back,” Cell said.

Alfred Irving, the judge presiding over the case, reminded the jury on Wednesday before they deliberated that their job was not to decide “whether there’s global warming.”

Climate change continues to be a divisive and highly partisan issue in the United States. A 2023 poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that 91% of Democrats believe climate change is happening, while only 52% of Republicans do.

On Thursday, Mann said he would be appealing a 2021 decision reached in D.C. Superior Court that held National Review and the Competitive Enterprise Institute not liable for defamation in the same incident.

“We think it was wrongly decided,” Mann said. “They’re next.”

https://apnews.com/article/climate-change-defamation-michael-mann-penn-state-61289ee2d8d2143768d28995c83899ef

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Erghh posted:

iirc the doomsday econ thread went over general strike stuff. consensus was that the pandemic, "quiet quitting" and people digging their heels in on work from home was probably as close to a general strike as we'll probably see. and capital took notice. anything's possible i guess for a no-poo poo ground up everything stops strike though. would probably take a lot.

I think I agree with this to a certain degree. The problem with a general strike in the US is that you really have two separate issues to overcome:

1) Things aren't that bad (yet)
2) The culture of class consciousness that would make people decide to strike when things get bad doesn't exist

So my sense is that you wouldn't really see something like a widespread general strike until there's a really prolonged period of extreme suffering punctuated by repeated failures to get through it all with just aimless protests or rioting, liberal "just vote" nonsense, or open fascism. People would just keep going to work through all that poo poo and only really come around to the idea that maybe capital is the problem after everything else fails and things just keep getting worse. The reality is that the consequences of just not showing up for your non-union job are worse than getting caught in a riot or whatever, as long as you were rioting on your free time.

Also I have to admit that even my acceleration-loving rear end probably doesn't want to see the kind of suffering that would actually get us to this point. Like, you'd have to get the average American to the point where they think "I have a good chance of losing my sole source of income but the alternative is worse" and wowzers that means poo poo is probably pretty bad.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

It's worth noting that the Atlantic often shows a El Nino type SST pattern when the Pacific does, likely due to an overall predisposition towards westerly anomalies in both the Pacific and Atlantic during the formation period of a strong event. I'm sure that doesn't account for all of it, of course, but its accounting for some and that +SST will diminish as the overall oscillation does.

It's an oscillation, it phases.

I totally understand that it makes the Overall SST anomaly graphs look really crazy, but in the same way ENSO is bolstering the world SST graphs by a large amount, it will lower those graphs by a large amount in 2024. :shrug: they'll still be super scary, but it won't be the meteoric step-up 2023 brought and 2024 La Nina will lower the graph in the same way that recent events bolstered it.

There's plenty of poo poo to be scared about, let's not over analyze at the peak of a powerful oscillation.

Taima has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Feb 9, 2024

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Dictatorship of the proletariat of the ashes

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Taima posted:

There's plenty of poo poo to be scared about, let's not over analyze at the peak of a powerful oscillation.

No! Let's panic!

AAAAHHHHHH

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I don't get this. Like... all the heat is trapped inside with us. The red and blue can move around, but is it really possible that the image of 2023 and 2024 could happen in the opposite order? "Oh its just a el nino" where does the heat go? There is at least a partial answer to explain this because I know that sometimes there is a single year anomaly but I don't get it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Sure I can field that, and I would recommend my previous posts in this thread if you want to understand more about El Nino.

But short story is, trade winds lock equatorial warm water up in the west pacific, under the water in a big bubble called an Envelope.

That bubble goes far down into the Thermocline where it is not counted as sea surface temps (SST) because is it NOT on the surface.

When El Nino happens, that big, deep bubble of super warm water spreads across the entire equatorial Pacific. Meaning, huge amounts of that warm water now count as sea surface temperatures, and the atmosphere uses it to change the weather.

We good?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Whoa that's pretty cool. Okay I wasn't thinking in 3 dimensions.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

This is a decent illustration, unfortunately it's kind of hard to find good depictions

Salt Fish posted:

You can't use ^ this is a good post on your own post.

Maybe I don't know what that means...

Taima has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Feb 9, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You can't use ^ this is a good post on your own post.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Paradoxish posted:

1) Things aren't that bad (yet)
2) The culture of class consciousness that would make people decide to strike when things get bad doesn't exist

yeah that second one is really underappreciated. i don't have the cite (there's probably several though) about how reagan et. al. made a deliberate effort to remove all class language/ideas from the public sphere and...well, it pretty much worked. that sort of framework just isn't there.

also kind of a derail but the collapse of the ussr did a number on it too; when it fell a lot of left-ish stuff just kind of ceased to exist or was dismissed out of hand. even years later i had marxist college profs. getting openly mocked by students and other profs. for "losing" etc. everyone went with capital rules, commies drool and ran headlong to the end of history.

now we're here.

Paradoxish posted:

So my sense is that you wouldn't really see something like a widespread general strike until there's a really prolonged period of extreme suffering punctuated by repeated failures to get through it all with just aimless protests or rioting, liberal "just vote" nonsense, or open fascism. People would just keep going to work through all that poo poo and only really come around to the idea that maybe capital is the problem after everything else fails and things just keep getting worse. The reality is that the consequences of just not showing up for your non-union job are worse than getting caught in a riot or whatever, as long as you were rioting on your free time.

Also I have to admit that even my acceleration-loving rear end probably doesn't want to see the kind of suffering that would actually get us to this point. Like, you'd have to get the average American to the point where they think "I have a good chance of losing my sole source of income but the alternative is worse" and wowzers that means poo poo is probably pretty bad.

no doubt, knowing how ugly some of the US is and how much worse things would still have to get for that to happen is a hell of an excercise. and some will never recognize our monied overlords as a maybe kinda sorta bad.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

a libertarian think tank named the Competitive Enterprise Institute 

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

Erghh posted:

also it's like 60F in an area where it shouldn't be 60F in february. if people start mowing their lawns im gonna find out what lay beyond crack ping lol, lmao.

It's not gonna work

https://twitter.com/drvolts/status/1755684889406632199?t=uzbRPe3zEmXsIB_3z2Rcvg&s=19

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

gov't could stop subsidizing oil and gas extraction/refining. just a thought

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I guess that you really can make a difference in the courts!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

gov't could stop subsidizing oil and gas extraction/refining. just a thought

that would hurt the economy, idiot

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Michael Mann's Heat

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

" information sharing by negative emotion induction (12.1%)"

is that being a doomer?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

no that can't be right, that would mean the economic superstructure and material conditions dictate outcomes and we know thats not true

funniest thing is that guy pointing out these dont work still cant finish the equation in his own head

https://x.com/drvolts/status/1755685976498941968?s=20

yes we'll just change policy and infrastructure

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Just change policy to be climate friendly and make infrastructure green... duh

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Best way to cut down on litter would be to put RFIDs in every piece of packaging and tag them to the purchaser

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

this seems idiotic though. they asked the participants to read some paragraphs (what they refer to as "interventions") and then indicate whether they agreed with them. that's the "study" and it doesn't say what the tweet is claiming

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dokapon Findom posted:

Best way to cut down on litter would be to put RFIDs in every piece of packaging and tag them to the purchaser

On the blockchain!!!!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this seems idiotic though. they asked the participants to read some paragraphs (what they refer to as "interventions") and then indicate whether they agreed with them. that's the "study" and it doesn't say what the tweet is claiming

free interventions that change behaviors without changing any economic incentives are the entire premise of nudge theory

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This isn't a new finding either, nudges don't have any experimental validity as a general tool for influencing any type of behavior once you correct for publication bias https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2200300119

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*gently nudging you with shock baton*

"Pick up that can"

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
lol
“doom and gloom” (“exposing participants to ecologically valid scientific facts”) was the most effective nudge
one of the metrics was whether people would do the following:
“The WEPT is a multitrial, web-based procedure in which participants choose to exert voluntary effort screening stimuli for specific numerical combinations (i.e., an even first digit and odd second digit) in exchange for donations to a tree-planting environmental organization. ”
:hmmyes:: will you waste your time performing this useless task if I tell you we’ll plant a tree as a result? what if I remind you how few bugs smash during road trips these days?

Edit: adding a link to the study because I use nitter and won’t be able to see any tweets presently: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adj5778

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Feb 9, 2024

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Laterite posted:

Michael Mann's Heat

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

pnas dot org is my favorite website!

Thanks for the general strike chat and not making me feel like a dummy. I’ve just listened to my parents talk about how much they hate the very wealthy and “all” the politicians for ages now, and I’d like to think if there was a way they could actually hurt these people there might be a way to convince them to do it. Kind of a thought experiment or proof of concept.

Obviously it would get co-opted or something even if it was possible, though

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finland is nowhere near general strikes, and the current government is going to ban political strikes soon. The situation would have to be significantly worse for a general strike to happen, for a long time. And even then people would have to believe that change by striking was possible.

Paper factory employees at UPM were on strike for 4 months last year, then their union ran out of money and they had to end the strike. Multinational companies have too deep pockets, and they can just say screw you to the proletariat and wait it out.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Just looked it up: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finnish-workers-begin-strikes-against-labour-reforms-welfare-cuts-2024-02-01/

290,000 workers in Finland went on strike for two days to protest labor reforms which would ban sympathy strikes. The subtext I guess being that if they did pass those reforms that the workers would go on strike for real.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Ok, so hear me out on this policy policy proposal:

As we know most plastic recycling is not a real thing, but there's a notable exception: That's HDPE. It's the stuff milk jugs and shampoo bottles are made of.

It can be easily melted down and reformed a whole bunch of times unlike most other plastics. The catch is that it can't be crystal clear like most consumers expect from a modern drink bottle. Also, when you recycle it, it's kinda hard to remove any dyes. So it's not super widely recycled but rather down cycled.

However, what if a country mandated that all plastic packaging has to be strictly HDPE of a certain set of colors. Those colors would be the palate that every brand has to work with. Perhaps just black, white and a bunch of big bright bold colors. Don't like em? Feel free to put on a lable with water soluble glue or use something that's not plastic.

This means that the grocery store shelves would have the aesthetic of a kindergarten, but those colors would be far easier to separate in some sort of automated way than by material and it would be possible to at least reduce the environment impact of a small portion of food packaging.

Anyways, I'll have a Beyond burger with fries and a root beer, paper straw please.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Laterite posted:

Michael Mann's Heat

lmao

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Ok, so hear me out on this policy policy proposal:

That seems like it would actually be good! Which surely means it will be impossible.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/09/atlantic-ocean-circulation-nearing-devastating-tipping-point-study-finds

quote:

The circulation of the Atlantic Ocean is heading towards a tipping point that is “bad news for the climate system and humanity”, a study has found.

The scientists behind the research said they were shocked at the forecast speed of collapse once the point is reached, although they said it was not yet possible to predict how soon that would happen.

Using computer models and past data, the researchers developed an early warning indicator for the breakdown of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (Amoc), a vast system of ocean currents that is a key component in global climate regulation.

They found Amoc is already on track towards an abrupt shift, which has not happened for more than 10,000 years and would have dire implications for large parts of the world.

quote:

Amoc has declined 15% since 1950 and is in its weakest state in more than a millennium, according to previous research that prompted speculation about an approaching collapse.

Seems fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm not sure you need Cormac McCarthy's The Road conditions to make class consciousness a thing in the US, you just need the state to stop having the will or ability to devote a significant chunk of the spoils of empire to bribing and propagandizing people who would otherwise be ready to gently caress poo poo up to get a better deal, and I think that process is both happening and accelerating pretty rapidly right now. We've degenerated from, "support the empire and get a living wage" to "support the empire and get at least a poverty check" in the span of like 30 years but then from that to "support the empire and we'll offer you some very well produced ads and well-compensated op ed flacks to tell you that $2000 isnt what you thought it was because youre dumb" in the span of like a couple years; pretty soon it's going to be "support the empire or get shot" in the way it's always been for colonized people and you can see how well that's working out for the US overseas currently