Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
anyone know if Helldivers 2 single-player is playable without an internet connection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This is doubly insane cause from playing the betas the game is manifestly looking Not Great. Like, you can certainly have fun with it and at some point I'll prolly play it if I can get it on a sale because I'm starved for tallship games, but in terms of quality it's very much a $40 game at best. It doesn't even have particularly good graphics or production values. Of all the games to try and start the "quadruple A" thing with, this one is super extremely not it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Disappointed this game sucks. I wanted a new pirate game. Not really surprised though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

goferchan posted:

anyone know if Helldivers 2 single-player is playable without an internet connection?

Game fully requires internet to play.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is always ridiculous when investor speech leaks down to consumers because I am pretty sure at this point everyone that is at any level critical of whatever they buy is pretty much aware that it is 100% bullshit that only makes sense for finance brains.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Disappointed this game sucks. I wanted a new pirate game. Not really surprised though.

It’s got a bit of a different scope but this might be worth keeping an eye on.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1400660/Rise_of_Piracy/?curator_clanid=37756818

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I am still so mad that Naval Action had basically the perfect take on "World of Warships but with Napoleonic sail ships", and then they used it only for their beta and discarded it on release. No, I don't particularly want to grind for hours in your open world guild-based mmo thing just so I can shoot cannons at ships every now and then.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It sucks!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Perestroika posted:

This is doubly insane cause from playing the betas the game is manifestly looking Not Great. Like, you can certainly have fun with it and at some point I'll prolly play it if I can get it on a sale because I'm starved for tallship games, but in terms of quality it's very much a $40 game at best. It doesn't even have particularly good graphics or production values. Of all the games to try and start the "quadruple A" thing with, this one is super extremely not it.

I saw an ad on Instagram today that had footage of Michelle Rodriguez, whose Hollywood persona seems to be now "somebody's dorky aunt who used to be a badass in her 20's," telling me how great the game is.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Oh yeah?? Well my new game's gonna be a quintuple A! :v:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Perestroika posted:

No, I don't particularly want to grind for hours in your open world guild-based mmo thing just so I can shoot cannons at ships every now and then.

Bolded for agreement and emphasis.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

how many a's does a game have to have before it gets a single player campaign?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Played a few hours of that Ubisoft pirate game, and decided that was basically enough for me. There's two tutorials: The opening bit where you sail a tiny boat around and walk around on tiny bits of land while the game attempts to establish the world to you through lore item pickups, and then the actual "here is the game" tutorial where you get to a port, build and equip stuff on your ship and go kill some traders for a few quests.

While this is all happening, progression bars are progressing, you're earning one of three currencies, your cargo hold is getting filled with junk loot and crafting resources, etc. There's an infamy leveling system based around you raiding ships and doing contracts (which mostly seem to be story-based, at least early on). Lots of boring dialogue from NPCs that you thankfully can skip through - not a single interesting character.

Ports have safe zones around them and then it is a free-for-all outside of that, but I didn't get into any battles with other players. There's a ton of potential weapons you can get for ships, apparently, but they're all locked behind blueprints you have to go and hunt for out in the world or earn through levels, which I guess is how they are attempting to gate incremental player power.

Anyway, I thought it was mostly very boring.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

I said come in! posted:

There's always the new Sea Dogs game Caribbean Legend, but I don't know if it's shaping up to be worthwhile or not.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
who's really trying to push the quad A gaming designator? I think it's come up a few times in recent years but whatever it was applied to always failed spectacularly

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

who's really trying to push the quad A gaming designator?

Hacks peddling trash.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would guess companies like EA, Ubisoft, Sony and Microsoft have probably thought of themselves internally as "AAAA" for a long time by this point, the first time I remember hearing that on our side of things was quite a while ago. Whether that's actually applicable or even means anything at all, eh.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The agreed upon scale is after AAA you go to single S anyways.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’s always used as almost-sensationalist marketing, but I think it’d be good if it actually was used in a useful way. Like A/AA/AAA are basically just loose categories for a game’s budget, and it’s silly that GTA6 and, like, Alan Wake 2 are both “AAA” despite, I imagine, having astronomically different budgets.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I hope they do not back down on "AAAA Gaming" but instead spend a lot of money on a big marketing push for the term.

Please, Ubi... :pray:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Really reads to me like they saw what Larian said in regards to BG3 being a "premium" game that isn't going to show up on GamePass and thought "yeah, our game is premium, too!" without putting in the effort that Larian put in to be able to say that without getting laughed out of the room.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I don't even enjoy Rockstar's games, but if we're talking budget + marketing + actual audience their titles are probably the only ones in the industry that could get away with calling themselves AAAA.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rear end gaming

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean Starfield was probably not as cheap to make as it feels.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Just keep adding those A's. Surely that will improve the quality of the products.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

your game isn't aaaa unless it bankrupts the studio

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

The agreed upon scale is after AAA you go to single S anyways.

Make it the Cool S

mystes
May 31, 2006

AAAA is weaker than AAA haven't any of you ever looked at a battery?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

AAAA more like UHHH

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I don't even enjoy Rockstar's games, but if we're talking budget + marketing + actual audience their titles are probably the only ones in the industry that could get away with calling themselves AAAA.

I think the Insomniac thing a couple months ago did a good job showing just how incredibly expensive the “big” Sony first party titles are. Yeah nothing is as big as a new Rockstar game, but a Last of Us or something definitely deserves to be in a different category from most.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
the fourth A stands for Axcellence

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wont stop until we arrive at AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA gaming. The only game reaching this tier so far is Serious Sam.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
This video should help clear things up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtdAtSA29s

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Anno posted:

I think the Insomniac thing a couple months ago did a good job showing just how incredibly expensive the “big” Sony first party titles are. Yeah nothing is as big as a new Rockstar game, but a Last of Us or something definitely deserves to be in a different category from most.

The leaks showed that Sony had Spider-Man 2 marked with a 315 million USD budget and a break-even number of 5.5 million copies sold. Which, to be fair, they managed to hit in about two weeks?

There's no hard numbers for RDR2 but it should be somewhere in the 300-400 million USD range. Rockstar announced yesterday that it has sold 61 million copies.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mozi posted:

wow

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mozi posted:

Simple and clear thank you!!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mozi posted:

Who is this hack, his opinions stink

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

beef express posted:

There's always the new Sea Dogs game Caribbean Legend, but I don't know if it's shaping up to be worthwhile or not.

It's as jank and unapproachable as it was 20 years ago.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Sab669 posted:

Who is this hack, his opinions stink

he's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has there been a better pirate sim than Sid Meyers Pirates! yet?