Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I also don't think the people arguing against Hester want a whole bunch of other QBs going in. There wasn't a finalist among QBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

a neat cape posted:

I'm actually stunned.

Honest question - is it the PED thing?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gates should be first ballot

Hamlin didn't do poo poo but profit off modern science congrats on not dying give the award to the doctor

Joe Flacco led the Browns to the playoff that right there is award worthy even if he wasn't a 40 year old dad who hadn't thrown a pass in who knows how long he's a loving inspiration for that

unironically put long snappers in the hall

Devin Hester played a football position better than anyone else played that position not sure why his position should be excluded from a football hall of fame

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Marklar posted:

I doubt it. The NFL has never shown any lasting contempt for players who got PED suspensions, Gates was assumed to be a first ballot guy and Peppers also got a PED suspension.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gates should have gotten in, that's drat near criminal. That said gently caress yeah hof Andre Johnson.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hester is the dude you drop from this class for Gates. I don't have a problem with putting an elite returner in or anything, but you can't argue that he was nearly as valuable as the others.

Kawalimus posted:

I bet Hester got in because they were so sick of the debate about whether he should get in that this is the only way to stop it

it's the hall of fame not the hall of valuable metrics. people talked way more about Hester than Willis or Johnson, and still do, plus he has way more well-known highlights

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

kiimo posted:

Gates should be first ballot

Hamlin didn't do poo poo but profit off modern science congrats on not dying give the award to the doctor

Joe Flacco led the Browns to the playoff that right there is award worthy even if he wasn't a 40 year old dad who hadn't thrown a pass in who knows how long he's a loving inspiration for that

unironically put long snappers in the hall

Devin Hester played a football position better than anyone else played that position not sure why his position should be excluded from a football hall of fame

I actually went and gathered all of the returner stats I could and compiled them when the finalist list first came out. Hester is so far ahead of everyone else on a per return basis that he'll never be caught and he's near the top of the total return pile as well. He'd have a lot more punt return yardage, too, but he scored because the field was short.

He absolutely deserves to be in Canton.

The bears didn't win, but they would not have been in the superbowl his rookie season if it wasn't for him.

e: if you've got ten minutes, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGRssBo9Bsw

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 9, 2024

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I laughed that NFL Throwback uploaded a video a few days ago about it and Dungy gave an interview saying he told the team to kick it directly to Hester to send a message they weren't afraid of him. good job

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mystic Stylez posted:

I laughed that NFL Throwback uploaded a video a few days ago about it and Dungy gave an interview saying he told the team to kick it directly to Hester to send a message they weren't afraid of him. good job

I love that a number of his returns were Chris Kluwe deliberately trying to kick away from him and he runs from one side of the field to the other to get it, and still houses it.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I actually went and gathered all of the returner stats I could and compiled them when the finalist list first came out. Hester is so far ahead of everyone else on a per return basis that he'll never be caught and he's near the top of the total return pile as well. He'd have a lot more punt return yardage, too, but he scored because the field was short.

And that's not counting all the times teams opted to kick out of bounds and yield the penalty yardage rather than risk kicking to him. There's never been another special teams player who struck that much fear into the opposition.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can't remember where I first saw it, but lmao that "what's more impressive: beating Death, or taking the Browns to the playoffs" is now a real football debate.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Gates not getting in the hall is the clear most outrageous thing that happened tonight. And if we had the benefit of the hindsight of the playoffs, Campbell not winning CotY, though we’re getting into territory where you eventually have to throw one at shanahan even if it’s not his best season, like Scorsese and the departed

Campbell rules but what DeMeco did was much harder IMO. Basically took the Lions trajectory from last season and this season and compressed it into one season. People expected the Lions to make some noise this year but not the Texans.

That said if the Lions make the Super Bowl this year then Campbell gets it :smith:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

C-Euro posted:

Can't remember where I first saw it, but lmao that "what's more impressive: beating Death, or taking the Browns to the playoffs" is now a real football debate.

Campbell rules but what DeMeco did was much harder IMO. Basically took the Lions trajectory from last season and this season and compressed it into one season. People expected the Lions to make some noise this year but not the Texans.

That said if the Lions make the Super Bowl this year then Campbell gets it :smith:

The voting took place before the playoffs.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

When keeping it real goes wrong. lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

BlindSite posted:

Hamlin hosed up twice on special teams, one play lost them the game for sure, the other one probably contributed a big chunk, otherwise he played like 18 other snaps and did nothing of note. He deserved a few votes but not the win.

Hamlin wouldn't even have been on the Bills roster in September if they weren't worried about bad press. Guy sucks.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The person who has an argument over Flacco is Baker, not Hamlin

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He's like a depth safety and he loving died and still returned to football! You guys are dicks!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

He's like a depth safety and he loving died and still returned to football! You guys are dicks!

That was the universe's way of telling him to hang 'em up.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hester is the dude you drop from this class for Gates. I don't have a problem with putting an elite returner in or anything, but you can't argue that he was nearly as valuable as the others.

Wrong. Should have been Willis who couldn't even play for 10 years

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

the real joke is Mike Macdonald not winning assistant coach of the year

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I won't say that the league rigged the vote or anything, but I'm sure they'd love everybody to forget that they nearly had a guy die on national TV last year. Of course, now everyone's talking about it again :v:

really queer Christmas posted:

The voting took place before the playoffs.

Ah! Well, nevertheless

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Never thought I'd see a dude melt down over the Comeback Player of the Year award but here we are.

Hester deserves to be in the Hall and so does Gates, dude got robbed.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fsif posted:

Rising up the depth chart from six feet deep

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Alex Smith was CBPoTY while being rear end but he won it because his leg basically fell off. What you’re coming back from is just as big of a deal as whether you play well (it’s a narrative award anyway) and the turn TFF took on Hamlin is real weird

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Alex Smith was CBPoTY while being rear end but he won it because his leg basically fell off. What you’re coming back from is just as big of a deal as whether you play well (it’s a narrative award anyway) and the turn TFF took on Hamlin is real weird

Alex Smith was at least relevant on the football field. The only notable thing Hamlin ever did was die on it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Freaquency posted:

Alex Smith 17 goddamn surgeries and battled through unspeakable physical therapy sessions for god knows how much time and managed to fight back hard enough to not only keep his leg but then play QB again, the hardest most important position in sports all Hamlin did is not die once.

I like Hamlin and I'm glad he didn't die but he literally did nothing personally, that's all.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Everyone deserves an award of some sort.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

That radically easy thing to do, recovering from cardiac arrest

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Marklar posted:

Worse, he was a Charger! :v:

(he should absolutely be in)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Marklar posted:

Didn't matter for Peppers

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

baker should have won it over flacco and hamlin :unsmigghh:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

Baker will use it as fuel for next year, think positive. I don't like the Bucs at all but Baker owns.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

kidcoelacanth posted:

I would not have hated that, honestly if any of the three won it I would have been fine.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Freaquency posted:

I do hear you but how do you personally recover from cardiac arrest. It's not like beating cancer, he closed his eyes and then later on opened them after the miracle of modern science brought him back from what was sure to be a tragic, untimely death

I'm not trying to be insensitive by saying give the award to the paramedics. Also I'm arguing for no reason I don't care about this award for any reason at all. It just logically doesn't make sense to give it to him.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Freaquency posted:

Yeah, even though I don’t really think he should win the award, the “he did nothing but sit back, take it easy, and enjoy the benefits of modern medicine” line like he had a cold or something is an insane take.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Pron on VHS posted:

Everyone deserves an award of some sort.

Or no one deserves an award. I'm not sure what way people are leaning ATM

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

Yeah, even though I don’t really think he should win the award, the “he did nothing but sit back, take it easy, and enjoy the benefits of modern medicine” line like he had a cold or something is an insane take.

This is basically my point, yeah. You can think he didn’t deserve to win without trivializing what he went through.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/tkelce/status/85421557316460544?t=0RJuJK3PvJNT2_bffLi9RA&s=19

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NFL going to Spain

gently caress it, games in every country

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shmackin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

he was 22 when he wrote this but it reads like he was 12. playing football is bad for your brain