Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

NFL going to Spain

gently caress it, games in every country

They want badly to be FIFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
An article on The Ringer said Flacco wasn't given the award for coming back from the couch, but coming back from playing for the Jets for three years and it makes sense now

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Make all awards qb only

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ok that Hester super cut video is loving insane, watching all his returns back to back is one of the coolest football things I've ever seen. Two in the same game vs Denver. All NFCN division rivals show up multiple times, I think the Vikings appeared the most? I don't know how you can watch that and not immediately sprint to put him in the Hall.

Also lol at the dipshit refs throwing a taunting flag for mildly celebrating breaking Deion's record in Atlanta for the Falcons :cop: No Fun League

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m glad a player got the reward for playing well instead of just getting the award for not getting hurt in back to back seasons

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

kiimo posted:

Alex Smith 17 goddamn surgeries and battled through unspeakable physical therapy sessions for god knows how much time and managed to fight back hard enough to not only keep his leg but then play QB again, the hardest most important position in sports all Hamlin did is not die once.

I like Hamlin and I'm glad he didn't die but he literally did nothing personally, that's all.

Alex Smith almost died too. He's even incredibly lucky he doesn't walk around like a pirate.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Freaquency posted:

That radically easy thing to do, recovering from cardiac arrest

And yet, that is no comparison to what Alex Smith went through, who then went out and played multiple games as a starting QB. Whereas Damar Hamlin was on the field like 22 times and hosed up every time he had to do something.

I think it just demonstrates that there has to be a bare minimum of competency to win Comeback Player. You have to demonstrate your value, or else who gives a poo poo that you "came back" and laid a turd on the field.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 9, 2024

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I feel like we're really exaggerating the negative impact Hamlin had on the field here.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hall of Fame player Andre Johnson

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Split the award into comeback player of the year, based on a guy who sucked or was irrelevant playing well again, and inspirational player of the year, based on coming back from bad injury

Both Hamlin and Flacco deserved the comeback award for different reasons, and the comeback award has awarded both sides of the argument before. Geno won it last year from being just a dude who sucked and nobody thought was good and Alex Smith won it in 2020 after his horrible leg injury despite putting up middle of the road perfomances in like 5 games

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Ok that Hester super cut video is loving insane, watching all his returns back to back is one of the coolest football things I've ever seen. Two in the same game vs Denver. All NFCN division rivals show up multiple times, I think the Vikings appeared the most? I don't know how you can watch that and not immediately sprint to put him in the Hall.

Also lol at the dipshit refs throwing a taunting flag for mildly celebrating breaking Deion's record in Atlanta for the Falcons :cop: No Fun League

Yeah if you watch that whole thing you cannot disagree. It's awe inspiring. And it's not like he just breaks it open with speed his cuts and making people miss just incredible

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

really queer Christmas posted:

Hall of Fame player Andre Johnson

His beatdown of Courtland Finnegan alone was HoF worthy

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If anything Hamlin using his near-tragedy as a springboard for his toy fundraiser makes him a perfect fit for the Walter Payton Award

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Criminal Minded posted:

If anything Hamlin using his near-tragedy as a springboard for his toy fundraiser makes him a perfect fit for the Walter Payton Award

Now you're talkin

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Criminal Minded posted:

And bringing a ton of attention to first aid trainings and giving out AEDs.

Now this is a good point

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

fartknocker posted:

His beatdown of Courtland Finnegan alone was HoF worthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYJpG82Umqo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

Imagine waking up to like $10 million in your charity bank account :unsmith: As if what he went through wasn’t insane enough already

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I contributed. I want my sticker!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

NFL going to Spain

gently caress it, games in every country

What tapas goes with football?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That jamon?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A big ol mess of patatas bravas

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
My trip to Spain turned me into an olive man all the way

Croquetas are the correct level of decadence for football however

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Damar to the HoF

Hester for CPotY

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

fsif posted:

I feel like we're really exaggerating the negative impact Hamlin had on the field here.

It’s about the sanctity of the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year Award

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Freaquency posted:

It’s about the sanctity of the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year Award

I mean if that’s true than why care Hamlin didn’t get it. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
If Hester was a better football player he would not be a returner, and that is also who he is competing against, roster bubble guys who would be WR5 on the team. I bet Deebo or CMC would be a good returners but they are too valuable to risk getting injured.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Tyreek Hill and AB were incredible returners

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if that’s true than why care Hamlin didn’t get it. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter

No one is complaining about Hamlin not winning the award, it’s just weird and off putting that people decided he needed to be taken down a peg, apparently

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pron on VHS posted:

Everyone deserves an award of some sort.

as Don Draper "that's what the money's for"

Freaquency posted:

That radically easy thing to do, recovering from cardiac arrest

he couldn't do it on his own, which is the same reason Purdy wasn't winning MVP

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Febreeze posted:

Split the award into comeback player of the year, based on a guy who sucked or was irrelevant playing well again, and inspirational player of the year, based on coming back from bad injury

Both Hamlin and Flacco deserved the comeback award for different reasons, and the comeback award has awarded both sides of the argument before. Geno won it last year from being just a dude who sucked and nobody thought was good and Alex Smith won it in 2020 after his horrible leg injury despite putting up middle of the road perfomances in like 5 games

Hamlin and smith are false equivalents here cmon

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pain of Mind posted:

If Hester was a better football player he would not be a returner, and that is also who he is competing against, roster bubble guys who would be WR5 on the team. I bet Deebo or CMC would be a good returners but they are too valuable to risk getting injured.

Deebo did a few games as kick returner when Ray Ray was hurt. He mostly took the touch back.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pain of Mind posted:

He literally broke Neon Deion Prime Time Sanders' record, one of the top maybe 20 players to ever play the game maybe higher

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Febreeze posted:

yeah, either this or some sort of Special Accomplishment in Football Athletical Achievement that's a catch all for this sort of thing and maybe they can give out 0-3 each year

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pron on VHS posted:

Tyreek Hill and AB were incredible returners

Brown had 187 punt returns attempts vs Hesters 315, so pretty good sample size for both. Hester scored 14 TDs to Browns 4.

Hill had 4 TDs in his 88 attempts. Hester had 7 in his first 89 attempts.

Both guys were really good returners but still worse than Hester at returning punts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also what else are we gonna talk about, the media is currently talking about the 49ers being awoken by the fire alarm and how infuriating it was and it turns out it came on seven minutes before they were supposed to get up like it's dire news time at this point

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

it's not the Hall of Value it's the Hall of Fame. yall counting stat eggheads would of argued to keep Thorpe or Sayers out

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Every player gets a trophy and a kiss on the lips from Tom Brady (or a Tom Brady standin)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This garbage Super Bowl matchup is doing a number on TFF. Eli Manning HoF chat, and deservingness of Comeback Player of the Year. These are May tier off-season chat topics. And I'm as guilty as anybody. It's deeply sad how the football gods abandoned this postseason.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

kiimo posted:

Also what else are we gonna talk about, the media is currently talking about the 49ers being awoken by the fire alarm and how infuriating it was and it turns out it came on seven minutes before they were supposed to get up like it's dire news time at this point

cmon waking up to an alarm clock is a bit different to waking up to a fire alarm. they've been a little whiny lately but I’m not gonna nitpick them about that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd be pissed.

I mean, not "news" pissed. But yeah. More of the same from the rigged NFL