Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It also takes like 20 minutes to get used to.

Fairly similar to driving a manual transmission and using engine resistance in gear to brake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yup, the answer is Chevy Bolt. Rent something for trips. Theyre pretty nice inside, too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Could you tell me why this Honda Insight 2014 at 9.5k is a bad purchase?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/los-angeles-2014-honda-insight-hybrid/7714506230.html

Im cross shopping between this and a Prius. The MPG is clearly not as great but, eh?

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Seems good to me.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They are slightly less efficient than Prius, and some generation of hybrid Hondas had issues with a transmission, but I don't remember which. A car that old with so many miles is best to be looked at by a mechanic before purchase

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

My brother just wrecked his early 2010s Honda Civic and is now in the market for a new car.

Proposed Budget: Closer to $20K than $30K

New or Used: Used, can afford new if it's that big of an improvement

Body Style: currently renting a Santa Fe and finds it too big, so I told him sounds like he wants a small SUV or a mid-size sedan. His wife drives a Mazda 3

How will you be using the car?: He commutes 20 miles to work (40 miles round-trip), mostly highway, with some city driving in Chicago for arcade machine service checks. On the fence on having children, so I told him don't do a compact

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): cost of ownership/maintenance and MPG for him, he was starting to drop several hundred dollars yearly on his Honda recently and since he drives 35-40 miles minimum daily a car with good MPG is a plus

I had recommended him Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-50 or CX-5, or equivalent Koreans if he likes the SUV, otherwise Toyota Prius (though I don't know if he benefits from it as much) or Kia K5 or Honda Accord for new sedans.

I don't really know about used cars though, which ones would be good? Thinking Mazdas again and maybe the previous generation Toyota Prius, he's unsure about the Korean cars

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

If he is seriously thinking kids, I have heard from multiple parents that the Mazda Cx-5/50 is
not ideal with rear facing kids seats (so basically ages 0-5)- particularly if the adults are 6 foot or above. Apparently the fit is so tight that getting the seats in and out is annoying (which is a big problem if you are loading and unloading a lot). I can vouch that the RAV-4 and CR-V both work well with young kids

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If he doesnt have kids, why not just get a compact now and sell it when theyre pregnant? All the wants/needs point to a compact, and buying used means he wont see a massive drop in value even if theyre pregnant this summer or next.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Mid-size sedans are usually the go-to vehicle for highway commutes, so think Camry, Accord, Sonata, etc. Adaptive cruise is a good thing to have, so you probably looking at higher trim levels

Compact cars are not good highway commuters, short wheelbase and more ambient noise tend to add fatigue

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ahh yeah missed that, only read the Chicago part.

My point about getting a car for a lifestyle they currently dont have still stands though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im gonna flip my lid if I read ice cold AC on Craigslist again my god

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

buglord posted:

I’m gonna flip my lid if I read “ice cold AC” on Craigslist again my god

I heard (from an unreliable source) that that phrase was a way for used car dealers to signal to each other that the car is being sold by another dealer.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Thanks for the input. Am I right in assuming he doesn't need a hybrid car?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'm on the market for a new-ish sedan. I've involved a brokerage to handle the worst of it for me, but I'm still really vague on what models I should be most excited about. The agent said something about Fords or a Honda, though she's going to look around at what's available right now in my budget range. I currently drive a Ford Focus I love, but I don't know poo poo about Hondas. Are there any models in particular I should be excited about or wary of?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ive driven lots of new sedans (rentals ) and the Accord is probably the nicest

Imho

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pixelante posted:

I'm on the market for a new-ish sedan. I've involved a brokerage to handle the worst of it for me, but I'm still really vague on what models I should be most excited about. The agent said something about Fords or a Honda, though she's going to look around at what's available right now in my budget range. I currently drive a Ford Focus I love, but I don't know poo poo about Hondas. Are there any models in particular I should be excited about or wary of?

Look at the first post in the thread for a template to help define what you're looking for so we can give you better advice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

euphronius posted:

Imho

Same. Im a big fan of Honda over Toyota though

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Deteriorata posted:

Look at the first post in the thread for a template to help define what you're looking for so we can give you better advice.

Okay!

Proposed Budget: $35,000 (CAD)
New or Used: hoping to catch a deal on something lightly used but relatively new.
Body Style: Sedan or hatchback, I think? Definitely 4 door. I want to be able to toss four friends in it for occasional road trips. I do not expect them to be particularly comfortable, but adults need to fit. I want something modestly sized, though. No big SUVs.
How will you be using the car?: I don't commute right now, but I do take a few road trips a year, usually involving some mountain driving. So daily use is light, but I need something that can step up for long-distance hauls or getting up up the Coquihalla Highway.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): gently caress no. I want it to have a back-up camera because I suck at parallel parking, a decent stereo, and it would be really refreshing to have automatic windows.
What aspects are most important to you? Good mileage and reliability are important. I want something I can own for a long time and keep well-maintained. My current Ford Focus station wagon has been a dream with twice-yearly maintenance.
3. If you do not live in the U.S. : :canada:

I'm sure the broker will help me with a lot of this, but if you guys can give me some suggestions it would help me nail down my indecisiveness. Like is she just suggesting Hondas because she's got a deal with Honda, or are they genuinely the better car for my needs?

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 10, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I dont have the energy to get into a long post, but Hondas are very reliable for the money, hold their value well, and arent overpriced for what they offer. They are a perfectly cromulent car.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thread favorites Mazda 3 and Toyota Prius are strong candidates as well.

Get out and drive a few to see what you like.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you don't drive much, fuel economy shouldn't be something to worry about

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

DTaeKim posted:

Thanks for the input. Am I right in assuming he doesn't need a hybrid car?

He probably doesn't need one, but he'll need to do the math. Hybrids help more with stop and go driving than they do on freeways, but it still could make sense if the hybrid premium isn't too much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

Imho

You're not wrong, they're wonderful cars that manage to strike a very good balance (for something being sold as an inexpensive-to-own commutercar) between handling and ride quality. They aren't dulled down like most Toyotas are.

Tricky Ed posted:

He probably doesn't need one, but he'll need to do the math. Hybrids help more with stop and go driving than they do on freeways, but it still could make sense if the hybrid premium isn't too much.

Hybrids can be set up to improve other aspects of the driving experience - I know my '13 CR-V would have benefitted massively from some torque-fill down low. That can be worth some premium before accounting for fuel savings.

Toyota is also fairly big on plug-in hybrids (like the RAV4 Prime) that can handle the average daily driving with little to no gasoline usage, but those aren't going to fit into his price bracket yet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A lot of hybrids are functionally just versions of other cars that are quieter and have better mileage. My 2019 Honda Insight is just an accord that doesnt use its engine at slow speeds and gives me 50MPG

Nowadays they just offer hybrid options on the Accord/Civic which makes sense

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

DTaeKim posted:

My brother just wrecked his early 2010s Honda Civic and is now in the market for a new car.

Proposed Budget: Closer to $20K than $30K

New or Used: Used, can afford new if it's that big of an improvement

Body Style: currently renting a Santa Fe and finds it too big, so I told him sounds like he wants a small SUV or a mid-size sedan. His wife drives a Mazda 3

How will you be using the car?: He commutes 20 miles to work (40 miles round-trip), mostly highway, with some city driving in Chicago for arcade machine service checks. On the fence on having children, so I told him don't do a compact

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): cost of ownership/maintenance and MPG for him, he was starting to drop several hundred dollars yearly on his Honda recently and since he drives 35-40 miles minimum daily a car with good MPG is a plus

I had recommended him Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-50 or CX-5, or equivalent Koreans if he likes the SUV, otherwise Toyota Prius (though I don't know if he benefits from it as much) or Kia K5 or Honda Accord for new sedans.

I don't really know about used cars though, which ones would be good? Thinking Mazdas again and maybe the previous generation Toyota Prius, he's unsure about the Korean cars

Tell him to buy a Bolt then trade in the Mazda when he needs something bigger

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

jokes posted:

A lot of hybrids are functionally just versions of other cars that are quieter and have better mileage. My 2019 Honda Insight is just an accord that doesn’t use its engine at slow speeds and gives me 50MPG

Nowadays they just offer hybrid options on the Accord/Civic which makes sense

Do they? Last I looked the Insight was dead, there is no such thing as a hybrid Civic, and the Hybrid Accord is only available on higher trims and the baser trims are gas only.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://westernmass.craigslist.org/ctd/d/agawam-2007-honda-accord-ex-4dr-sedan/7714203540.html
Is it just me, or does this accord look like it has accident damage in the front (big gap between the hood and fender? Carfax also notes the color as purple.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Best you can do is take it to a body shop for inspection, they should be able to tell whether or not the car has been in an accident. A mechanical inspection would also help, because despite the low mileage for the year, it could have many issues due to age alone. Or simply rust. It's Massachusetts after all

And don't go trusting Carfax with all your heart. Accord colors are listed with stupid 3 word names like Mystic Green Pearl or Polished Metal Metallic, but never purple.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

hey y'all, my manual GTI that i love dearly and have been driving for 12 years is not long for this world, my needs have changed, my budget has changed... i need a new car and i know nothing about choosing a car. please help.

Proposed Budget: $55,000 ideally but I could stretch to $70,000
New or Used: NEW!
Body Style: Station Wagon (lmao more on this below)
How will you be using the car?: Mostly as a daily commuter (30 mi round trip), but needs to be able to function as a backup family car in terms of seats/cargo capacity and needs AWD (there will be occasions where this car is going down sketchy dirt roads to trailheads, and/or driving through blizzardy weather in the North)
What aspects are most important to you? Has at least some horsepower/is sorta fun to drive, AWD, has a nice-ish interior, has ventilated front seats, touch screen, android car play, sun/moonroof, doesn't look completely rear end from the outside, reliable would be great

I'm in the US

I'm of the type that will buy a car brand new and drive it for a decade or more, I don't want to spend time trading cars in or looking at used etc. I want to buy a car new and not have to think about it for 10ish years (other than maintenance which I do keep up with). I don't know if this matters in terms of overall cost, but I would be hoping to buy this car outright without financing (someone told me that with luxury brands e.g. Audi, buying outright sometimes can help you get a break on the overall cost - no idea if that's true or not but why I mention it)

My wife drives a Kia Sorento (AWD etc) that is our main family car; I don't want another SUV, but I also don't want to get a tiny hatchback that our family could never fit into when the Sorento is getting maintenance or whatever - my ideal car (in my uninformed imagination) is an A6 Allroad, as it has the right mix of "sexy" and "rugged" and "could fit a cello in the back" - but if I were going for an A6 I'd likely want the top trim level, and I think that's pushing a bit outside my budget (I could maybe move a small mountain to make it happen but wouldn't be comfortable); so I'm considering attempting that, or just going for the A4 Allroad at top trim level (cost would be much more comfortable)

People keep suggesting Subaru, but they're just ugly af inside and out - I tried building a few out and could maybe deal with one if I get it totally blacked out or something, but nothing Subaru has rn really gets me excited - is there like a Subaru version of the R6 Avant that I can get blacked out? Hesitant to sign up for driving a car through most of my 40s that I don't like...

I considered Volvo also but cost seems prohibitive.

I know station wagons are a pretty small pool to be drawing from, I'm not completely against a larger hatchback (4 door) but just haven't found one that interests me.

I really really want ventilated front seats, where I live it gets hot/humid af in the summer and having those is amazing. Also want modern tech (again will be driving this car for awhile so don't want to start with outdated tech) and a sunroof/moonroof (bonus points if panoramic)

So my initial questions: Are Audis even vaguely reliable? Is there any compelling reason to get, or NOT to get, either the A6 Allroad or A4 Allroad? Is maintenance on an Audi ridiculously expensive? If I go to an Audi dealership with a PDF printout of what I want them to order for me, should I expect to pay a premium over MSRP shown from audi.com?

...should I just stfu and get a Subaru? Are there any Subarus that come to mind that I should look at specifically, that can be blacked out and aren't ugly af?

But my main question:

What options am I not thinking of that I should consider?

black.lion fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 11, 2024

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Used Panamera Sport Turismo

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Used Panamera Sport Turismo

that first word sorta kills it for me but otherwise I like where your head is at

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What BMW Touring models do y'all get over there? I would probably look at a 330 Touring.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

What BMW Touring models do y'all get over there? I would probably look at a 330 Touring.

We don't get any at this point. The last one we got was the F30 generation and they are incredibly rare and expensive used: https://bimmerlife.com/2023/07/24/bmws-last-3-series-wagon-on-u-s-shores-is-a-lovely-little-daily/.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

As far a I can tell, none anymore, random article Google fed me says the last BMW station wagon sold in the US was an F31 but looking at the US BMW website I see no touring options

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-own.html#/series

...unless I'm not looking in the right place

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

:sad:

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Is there even really a functional difference between what's called a station wagon in the US nowadays and the compact/subcompact cuv vehicles? Aside from like 3-6 inches of roof height maybe, they're all about the same dimensions. If you're looking at the outback you may as well start cross shopping cuvs as there's going to be a ton more variety.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Porsche Macan is a real drivers car but it doesn't fit into the budget new and I'm not sure how reliable they are. I know modern Porsches have the reputation of being maintenance pigs with reliable mechanical parts (assuming you keep up on the maintenance).

I've also heard a poster here talking about multiple turbo replacements on their Macan before 100k miles though...

Edit: also it's probably too small.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

black.lion posted:

So my initial questions: Are Audis even vaguely reliable? Is there any compelling reason to get, or NOT to get, either the A6 Allroad or A4 Allroad? Is maintenance on an Audi ridiculously expensive? If I go to an Audi dealership with a PDF printout of what I want them to order for me, should I expect to pay a premium over MSRP shown from audi.com?

I'm on my second Audi. Four years in, this one has only needed unscheduled service once, and that was because I'd been parking it outside and a critter started nesting in the engine bay. My first Audi went seven years with one unscheduled maint, to fix a bad brake sensor. I'm happy with their reliability.

Service costs are not cheap. The prepaid Audi Care plan will save you money at a dealer, but it's still expensive. Once you're out of that window, dealer work is triple digits for everything. I don't know if this is just my dealer or all of them, but it also seems to take longer to get work done. Acura and Subaru could always complete a routine oil & filter type service in under an hour. If I wait for that at Audi, they take two, and they make pained faces at me. I try to get rides from my wife and drop it off instead.

Overall, I'd happily buy another if their current interiors didn't make me look enviously at Mazdas that cost 2/3 as much.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twerk from Home posted:

Do they? Last I looked the Insight was dead, there is no such thing as a hybrid Civic, and the Hybrid Accord is only available on higher trims and the baser trims are gas only.

Youre right they only offer a hybrid accord now weird! The insight is dead because it was too pure for this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Roseo posted:

Is there even really a functional difference between what's called a station wagon in the US nowadays and the compact/subcompact cuv vehicles? Aside from like 3-6 inches of roof height maybe, they're all about the same dimensions. If you're looking at the outback you may as well start cross shopping cuvs as there's going to be a ton more variety.

Outback is a foot longer than a Mazda CX-5.