Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Lysandus posted:

Do you keep the construct pet and all the rune things you unlocked if you make a new character?

No. You need to find them all again and grind up the levels as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Vaults are extremely good since the enemy density is high, you CAN skip to the end if you just want speed clears, they give the same Glyph XP as NMDs, they are faster and less backtracky than NMDs, and also they literally give more loot

This 100%. I really like them and they are what NMD should be.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think at a minimum they should make those Uber Stones account-wide. Getting one character into WT4 means you have enough currencies to just pay cash for all the robo-upgrades on an alt, but gently caress grinding ubers on a 2nd character in general!!! Especially seasonal mechanic ones

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Russad posted:

No one asked, but here's my hot take on Season 3, as a filthy casual: it's fine. It's not good, but it's fine. The trap dungeons make you slow down, which is the exact opposite of what I am interested in doing, but I prefer the layout and objectives of the vaults to normal NMDs. I don't have to go hunt down Animus carriers, I don't need to go find McGuffins in a hallway somewhere - I just need to follow the linear path to it, and then keep moving forward to get back to the door.

The pet seems to be a huge non-factor, with the slight downside of aggro'ing things that normally wouldn't notice me as I'm trying to town portal. Definitely not as cool as the season 2 bloodtides or even as interesting as the season 1 powers. But for someone who hops into every D3 and D4 season at least long enough to finish the journeys, it scratches the itch just the same.

Bonus opinion: the event is similarly fine. Not awful. Nothing groundbreaking. Extremely dumb to have cosmetic skins be items that require specific classes to use. But largely inoffensive, and it's actually made me stop ignoring shrines.

yeah i feel the same mostly. like ok the pet can give me a 50% damage buff that's good and cool but i don't do anything to control it or even really see it happen so i just forget it exists. D4: it's fine

Mikojan posted:

I understand the sentiment, but I'd like my grinding games being about grinding, and not some arcade machine experience

yeah understandable. ideally this would just be another facet of the game you could do alongside a better, arpg grind-y focused end game

Herstory Begins Now posted:

noted unpopular gaming experience, s0 apex

not unpopular or unfun, but very much not balanced. no armor + no weapon + truly rng chests and item spawns means you could drop hot or cold and just not find a single weapon in the entire area. or clear two whole sub areas and not find even a white helmet or armor. while i learned to play around it, it wasn't a "fair" starting point vs. say round 1 or 16 of CS or a mirror match of a fighting game or something. that's the kind of sentiment i was trying to get acros. probably shouldn't have tried to stay in the fps genre to make the point though

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

harrygomm posted:

not unpopular or unfun, but very much not balanced. no armor + no weapon + truly rng chests and item spawns means you could drop hot or cold and just not find a single weapon in the entire area. or clear two whole sub areas and not find even a white helmet or armor. while i learned to play around it, it wasn't a "fair" starting point vs. say round 1 or 16 of CS or a mirror match of a fighting game or something. that's the kind of sentiment i was trying to get acros. probably shouldn't have tried to stay in the fps genre to make the point though

ah that makes more sense how you meant that comparison, yeah. I was surprised by it I guess because I'd kill for d4 to have, like, a fraction of the inspiration and just general spark that early apex had, even with all of its flaws :smith:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i really miss being able to easily get a 925 weapon in wt4. every bow i find is dogshit, even from world bosses. i hit 90 and whisper caches are still spitting out sacreds...

i also might be very dumb because several times now i've sorted through the loot explosion at the end of a vault and left before applying the glyph xp. gotta do that first from now on!!!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well at least we know D2R isn't siphoning resources from this game

on the other hand D2R is actually really good

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kaysette posted:

i really miss being able to easily get a 925 weapon in wt4. every bow i find is dogshit, even from world bosses. i hit 90 and whisper caches are still spitting out sacreds...

i also might be very dumb because several times now i've sorted through the loot explosion at the end of a vault and left before applying the glyph xp. gotta do that first from now on!!!

Doing 90+ NMD/vaults makes all drops 925. Doing 70+ gets you mostly 900+. You could get someone to carry you for a couple vaults til you get a weapon. Shouldn't take long.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

hawowanlawow posted:

well at least we know D2R isn't siphoning resources from this game

on the other hand D2R is actually really good

was there some recent news about the various blizzard team layouts out something? like which projects are active and inactive?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

harrygomm posted:

was there some recent news about the various blizzard team layouts out something? like which projects are active and inactive?

No, D2R just didn't get any new ladder content

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New patch lets you craft uber uniques, buffs the new year event, fixes bugs, and increases uber unique drop rates from all sources except Duriel.

quote:

Uber Unique Crafting

Developer’s Note: Uber Unique items are highly sought after. With Season of Blood, we introduced target-farming Uber Unique Items with Uber Duriel to gives players another source of acquiring this type of item. However, we want to give players increased autonomy in obtaining their desired Uber Unique by addressing feedback that expressed how acquiring duplicate or undesired Uber Unique Items lessens that feeling of triumph. A new system empowers players to make use of duplicate and undesired Uber Unique items by salvaging them for a new resource which can be used to eventually craft an Uber Unique of their choosing. Additionally, the chance for Uber Unique Items to drop everywhere but in Uber Duriel encounters has been increased.

Uber Unique Items can now be salvaged to provide a new resource, Resplendent Sparks. Players can bring 5 Resplendent Sparks to the Alchemist and Transmute an Uber Unique of their choice.

The Refine Resources tab at the Alchemist has been renamed Transmute, and the option to craft an Uber Unique item can be found under that tab.

Note that the preview window for crafting an Uber Unique won't display the item’s affixes.

The drop chance of Uber Unique items acquired outside of Uber Duriel encounters has been increased.

quote:

The Cursed Shrine event now gives the Shrine bonus at the start of the event instead of when it is finished.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

increases uber unique drop rates from all sources except Duriel.
Zero multiplied by anything is still zero, friends.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I can’t get useful regular uniques and now they are going to buff Uber uniques? Real cart before the horse energy.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

An update for the content creators

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Increase the Duriel rate to 10% at a minimum. Like literally have them equally weighted with his other Uniques

The rarity comes from the goddamn mats, it doesn't have to be throttled at the drop rate level too

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Cool, in a game entirely stuck on self found, increasing the global drop rate from what, 0.0002% to slightly higher will absolutely increase them in the general playerbase. It'll do gently caress all for any individual player tho.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Hey is there any grouping yet in this 100% online multiplayer game or do you still spend 99% of your time solo while occasionally seeing other players on your screen?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pretty much have to invite people from your console or Battlenet friend list. There's no in game matchmaking, other than tossing someone an invite if you physically encounter them in game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Mebh posted:

Cool, in a game entirely stuck on self found, increasing the global drop rate from what, 0.0002% to slightly higher will absolutely increase them in the general playerbase. It'll do gently caress all for any individual player tho.

as an aside, the actual drop rate of uber uniques is most likely 2-4 orders of magnitudes rarer than this. possibly more

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ohhh, I thought it seemed familiar.

Literal gacha design. "Can't get your desired 0.00000001% drop? Get 5-10 more of them and burn them to make the one you want!"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
They have kind of a dilemma because the concept of 'chase uniques' is sound insofar as people love a project to work towards and it's good twitch viewing when people are grinding towards some lengthy but achievable goal, but idk if there's, like, enough game to support that level of scarcity or that much grinding for something you still very well may not see.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I think it was like literally low double digit Uber Uniques were generated, total, in Season 1. If they're boosting that from 25 drops to 5,000 drops, who gives a poo poo, haha. They literally should not be any less common than the other WT4 Uniques, if you ask me.

Is any part of diablo 4 designed for twitch viewing? I'm the wrong guy to ponder this because I don't watch other people play video games, but it just seems like some games are much more conducive to streaming than Diablo Games. It doesn't seem like an unsuccesful attempt at a game-for-streaming, either.. it just feels like streaming never factored into its design at any point

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Personally I'll never bother with anything that rare because, idk, life is too short basically so my personal feeling is always 'it should be rare but findable or even something you can get deterministically' but I am pretty far to one side on that issue.

idk the last blizz game that wasn't made with the viewing experience in mind as that's both a pretty core part of how blizzard and hell the industry in general markets games (to say nothing of blizz's longstanding thing of trying to turn everything into a competitive and/or esports experience, which is all about viewability). I wouldn't try to guess exactly what number priority viewability is for them, but big chase grinds are generally considered good watching, they massively juice hours-watched and hours streamed metrics and they generate hype reaction clips etc etc

strictly from a viewing perspective d4 isn't bad, I think it's mostly held back by a lack of content, particularly fun, highly repeatable content. some way of highlighting particularly rare and needed drops while also screening out worthless stuff would do a lot to make the game more viewable, too

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 10, 2024

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
iirc the likelihood of a natural uber drop rate is codified as '1' where a ' common' unique is '600,000' and an uncommon one like tempest is '400,000'

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah I actually went looking for the drop rates and had to exclude duriel from the search because there were so many tables gushing about how good the 2% drop rate was as you 'only' needed to run duriel 50 times to have a 'reasonable' chance at a drop.

Seeing as he fills your drat inventory in 3-4 kills if you pick up all the 925s... Hard pass.

I did run into someone yesterday with 47 summons worth of mats, so I assume a dupe bug is back.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah they had to shut down trade when the season kicked off because of dupes.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You know I just had an awful idea that would actually get me to engage in their ludicrously overpriced cosmetics system. Let people trade the store bought cosmetics. I bet a secondary market would open up to trade summon items for them.

I would run a black market in varshan anuses to get the weird druid cosmetic that looks like a ... Well. You tell me...

gently caress paying 25 for it though.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New patch lets you craft uber uniques, buffs the new year event, fixes bugs, and increases uber unique drop rates from all sources except Duriel.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes

why 5 ubers and not 3? you're still gonna have to do like 60-80 rotas at that rate just to guarantee the one you want, assuming you want no other uber. I do not even want to do 10 rotas, my eyes gloss over by the time I reach 5. I also don't get passing over duriel in buffing drop rates, it takes too long to get a single uber already. I hope by the time season 4 rolls around, they do another pass over uber drop rates

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Duriel was tolerable/better in Season 2 because of the cheap duped mats you could buy allowing you to skip the mat grind entirely, making the season much better imo and letting more people get geared out.

And now the mat grind can't be skipped so it's even worse of a grind overall.

They should realize a season is only 3 months, most people don't have time to farm 5 Ubers. Buff Duriel's rates and let more people get geared out, have fun. Maybe they'll buy cosmetics

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i think i have like, 1 azurewrath in my eternal stash. maybe over the course of a couple years i can get enough to save up so i can get a shako for the transmog

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Can someone explain nightmare dungeons/vaults to me? Why would I ever do something that one-shots me vs just farming for Duriel mats when Duriel is a much easier fight than even trash mobs in a 90-100 NMD?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

delightful posted:

Can someone explain nightmare dungeons/vaults to me? Why would I ever do something that one-shots me vs just farming for Duriel mats when Duriel is a much easier fight than even trash mobs in a 90-100 NMD?

To upgrade your glyphs in order to push into whatever each season's version of an Abattoir of Zir is.

If that doesn't sound like fun, you can just continuously run the (very clunky!) boss grind experience until you've had your fill and have all your 925+25s with "4/4" stats. Technically you don't even have to do that, you can just run seasonal tree quests and Helltides until you feel done.

The D4 gameloop falls off a cliff after level 75, 80 if we are being generous. There's at least one whole missing tier of difficulty.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

Yeah I actually went looking for the drop rates and had to exclude duriel from the search because there were so many tables gushing about how good the 2% drop rate was as you 'only' needed to run duriel 50 times to have a 'reasonable' chance at a drop.
It's an odd piece of mental conditioning people find themselves in. When you play games that have that 'item might drop on completion' mechanic, you start to get really weird behaviours like people running the same activity 50 times and thinking that's fine.

We had this discussion in the Destiny 2 thread, and I can't remember exactly what the subject was, but someone said they did a bunch of runs of some activity and didn't get any drops, and a bunch of people immediately popped up to defend the drop rate claiming that something like 20 or 30 runs was more likely to drop the thing they were looking for.

I think it's worse in games like Destiny where it's the exact same layout and spawns each time, but still. Seeing numbers like 'oh yeah, Shako has a rare chance of being one of the items that has a 2% drop from an activity you need to spend at least half an hour gathering mats to do one run,' I don't want to think about the numbers on how many runs that would average out at to have a decent chance of getting it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Getting a really lucky find can be exhilarating and fun if the game itself is also fun to play. The problem right now is that there are like two uber uniques worth picking up and they all have like .25% the probability of finding a Jah rune.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Warning: effort post about games design.

Yeah, I mean. This is literally my day job. It becomes a calculation to do the most you can to keep people in the game as long as possible. Because if you're not in game, you can't buy items in the shop.

The absolute biggest cause of churn (players quitting) in a pve focused game like this, once they are regular players, is meeting their goals.

So basically they are trying to get people to come back or play more for the "chance" of a goal completing item like a shako.

What breaks my brain is they already mastered these loops over and over with every iteration of Diablo and have tonnes of retention data from Warcraft. Very few of these learnings are being applied and the game is basically succeeding as a result of its name and popularity plus a decent core game feel.

Everything else in the meta and the prices of the shop is basically working against all this and it's weird.

I'm guessing there's a calculation to be had that most of us here are logging in every season to try a different class each time and if we could do all that within one season we'd likely not come back at all.

We (games designers at my company at least)have been discussing a lot lately about a more sustainable form of live service where we respect the players time. I want people to play my game and have fun and then go "Cool I'm done for now, I'll see what happens next season" and we let them go. We don't fight to keep D1/D7 retention high, but focus on having a longer term thing where there's new stuff to come and try every so often and we make it easy to do so.

I 'think' that's the kind of thing they're going for. Just, it's really rough around the edges given their resources and the data I hope they have access to.

Of course knowledge drain is a nightmare in this industry and pretty much nobody documents anything and entire teams change game to game and we end up making all the same mistakes over and over... So who knows.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That's kinda the thing they learned with Reaper of Souls and I believe the same dude worked on one of the 2 Destiny games for a bit as well, whenever they had one of their big turnarounds that have since been undermined by forgetting the thing. His big philosophy was that it's fine for players to take breaks and they shouldn't try to "force" engagement or fomo or whatever, as long as they had a positive memory of the game from their time with it, there was probably a good chance the person would come back.

As you say, seems to have been forgotten in this game at least.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Getting people to come back shouldn't be difficult in an ARPG with seasons. PoE has been doing it for a decade and their player numbers are higher than ever even though a bunch of people are "done" with the game because they are waiting for PoE2.

Make interesting seasonal content, shake up what builds are possible through a combination of balance changes and new skills/seasonal powers/items that enable new builds. I buy MTX at the start of the season when the hype is high. If you force a slow grind to get me to log in to the game for 6 weeks to reach my goals, I'm going to quit early and not buy any MTX. I haven't bought a single thing in the D4 shop.

Having the interesting build enabling items be super rare drops that you need to spend a lot of time farming Uber Duriel to get is completely backwards. If I have a really strong build capable of killing the boss fairly easily, I'm not really that motivated to go through with the grind because I already a good build online. Due to the nature of drops being centered around your class 99% of the time, you are also not going to get that moment where you were playing a Barb and get killer drop for a Sorc, so now you are going to reroll a Sorc, and keep playing the game longer.

Give me 2 weeks of fun every 3 months, and I'll be way more likely to open your item shop and buy something compared to trying to lock me in to your game for 6 weeks thinking that will make me spend money because I am being forced to play longer to achieve the same result. I don't know why live service games feel they need to be WoW circa 2009 where their game is the only game you played.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mebh posted:

We (games designers at my company at least)have been discussing a lot lately about a more sustainable form of live service where we respect the players time. I want people to play my game and have fun and then go "Cool I'm done for now, I'll see what happens next season" and we let them go. We don't fight to keep D1/D7 retention high, but focus on having a longer term thing where there's new stuff to come and try every so often and we make it easy to do so.

I 'think' that's the kind of thing they're going for. Just, it's really rough around the edges given their resources and the data I hope they have access to.

I'm sure there are devs who look at the decimal places on drop tables for D4 and sigh, write the patch notes about not buffing Duriel drop rates and sigh, then get orders from clowns like Robb and sigh as they go to implement those design choices. The best dev team in the world can get dragged around by horrible MBA brained leaders.

What seems like natural ARPG desires is being subtly pushed and prodded by guys who want to artificially create the conditions that make gamers play Diablo 2 for 20+ years. It has been a big trend of the last 5+ years to try and make your game the next lifelong hobby for players, games as a service, log in daily, build habits, etc. I'm very grateful Diablo 4 at least didn't go at it from the Diablo Immortal angle but I also feel in D4, like the rest of you, that somebody's thumb is on the scale trying to force results for whatever reason.

There's also the general sentiment that nobody in charge of vidya these days is reasonable about your first point. The ONLY game I can think of where the developers have openly stated something positive here is Final Fantasy 14, where the head director roughly said "Yeah, we get that you'll exhaust the content so please enjoy yourself while you're here and then take a break as you like, come back when we release new stuff or you want to try the side content you haven't. It's a game, you take breaks from it." Pretty mindblowing to hear in this day and age, though he has raw success, clout as an authority figure and a good game(for MMO design) to back it up. If you just want to see the new release and raid for a month then cool, if you want to deep dive into the old content you can go full poopsocks as long as you like.

Ah, the Deep Rock Galactic guys did it by actions too. If you miss one of their seasons they roll all the cosmetics rewards into the universal loot pool you can find in missions any time.

D4 seems to think the "38 hours in the first 2 days of a season" streamer is a normal data point. I don't anticipate gamer dads seeing 5 uber uniques and there are fair odds they won't get the 1 from the Duriel runs they feel like doing for the season.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 10, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blizzard found a way to mess with people who paid for duped mats and a Reddit meltdown seems to be brewing

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo4/s/ZVjNlR1TA3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If Blizzard really implemented IF > 200 across every stash and inventory in the game then I take back what I said about talented devs with crass leadership, lmfao.

Given how WoW gold sellers squeal when caught it's also likely the playerbase is hiding how they totally never did anything wrong. Also lmfao.