Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think the thread is more interesting with ongoing comics series being posted, I like having longer running things to look forward to and have a feeling of continuity with, even if I don't follow all of them. But I do like having more individual/gag comics sprinkled in too, even if I'm part of the problem by posting less of them myself - twitter was my main source for finding comics, and I don't really go on there any more in its current state :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Velvet Gewgaw

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Sludge Knight: The Young Mistress

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

His Divine Shadow posted:

Someone should post some tintin, spirou and don rosa stories then, not me I'm too lazy.

e: Oh right they would violate "copyright" or something silly like that.

I've actually put some thought into posting a few Gaston LaGaffe comics before... Copyright be damned for something that old, I might just dip into my wife's collection of BD and see what I can get

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I started reading this thread like... Two years ago because I caught the tail end of newspaper Spiderman and loved it. I hung around after hoping it would start up again from the beginning and while waiting I caught all of Thorsby et al. I ignored beanworld for most it's run until I gave it a chance, then went back to read it al because of how much I liked it. I still read the thread every day even if I don't post, I love having a wide range of comics I can just read on my phone whenever I need five minutes to myself or need to commute. Same reason I check in with the Daily Life of a Certain NEET everyday.

Is the thread slower/less populated than before? Not to any extent I've noticed, to me this thread is the best place to find something new to read.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'll have a double baconator and a small frosty.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

CheeseThief posted:

I started reading this thread like... Two years ago because I caught the tail end of newspaper Spiderman and loved it.

Just in case you didn't know, newspaper Spiderman has a dedicated thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845273

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Just in case you didn't know, newspaper Spiderman has a dedicated thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845273

I was just gonna mention that too. I'd also been missing Newspaper Spidey, but I saw a link to that a few months back and have been enjoying it ever since.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Youremother posted:

I've actually put some thought into posting a few Gaston LaGaffe comics before... Copyright be damned for something that old, I might just dip into my wife's collection of BD and see what I can get

gaston owns

i remember the editor always going SAGORASME in the danish translation which is a weird minced oath ive never heard or seen elswhere lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

God, I love the contrast between the deliberately repeated panel of Hawthorne staring stone still at the newspaper and him springing into his sinuous, bestial run.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:toot:

Unfortunately the pages are really thin, so you can see what's on the other side, but otherwise good stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh that's too bad, but otherwise very cool!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kennel posted:

:toot:

Unfortunately the pages are really thin, so you can see what's on the other side, but otherwise good stuff.

If you have any, try putting a completely black page behind the one you are scanning. You can then white balance the image until it’s gone.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EoRaptor posted:

If you have any, try putting a completely black page behind the one you are scanning. You can then white balance the image until it’s gone.

No need to scan, because it's already available as a webcomic and posted in this thread. This is just the kickstarter book that just finished.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

You know what, time for some cute Metroid comics, published in Shounen Oh Game Comics in August 1994. There's not a lot of it, so I'll just post one page a day.

First up is Round and Round.

Read right to left.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Metroid universe scientists are second only to the Umbrella corp. in terrific plans that will never endanger the universe.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

lmao, this owns

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So this was posted in a Discord and I feel like this thread can figure out examples for each point.

While I never read it myself, I just have this hunch that Dresden Codak fits the third one.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah sometimes I feel a bit bad about being part of the manga takeover, but all the good western stuff I know has either already been posted or is currently being posted, so either I have to dig down and post some objectively really mediocre stuff or post nothing at all. I’d rather just post some weird stuff I like and trust that people who don’t enjoy it will just scroll past it and instead check out the stuff they do like

KennyMan666 posted:

I think one of the things is also that with manga, there's a lot of good stuff that's not been officially translated and released, but has a dedicated fan translation scene. There's a lot of good western comics! But if they're not webcomics, if they're already in English they're most likely commercially available comics which is a bit of a no go to post, and if they've not been released in English, well... at least the impression I have gotten is that there's nowhere near as much fan translating going on for that.

So manga's just a way larger pool to draw from.

I'm in a similar situation: I've posted some English language comics, but I ran out of ones that were my favourite/hadn't already been posted. I read a whole lot of manga, but there is a whole lot of manga to access (cough, for free). I'd like to think I've selected more niche/interesting stuff to post, at least. I will say this, however: it is a crime that no one's licensed Hyouge Mono.

I really do like reading narrative comics here serialised. It's fun to see the commentary on the big moments and the jokes in between. I could gorge myself on a finished webcomic - and I do - but it's nice to take it slow, savour it some with good company. Also Tree Bucket mashups, that's a big bonus.

the holy poopacy posted:

Lavender Jack

God, I love the contrast between the deliberately repeated panel of Hawthorne staring stone still at the newspaper and him springing into his sinuous, bestial run.

Haha, he really is Tarzan, this is amazing! Alright, fess up - the first person who made that crack, had you read ahead at that point? I must know.

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's the off season in the nowhereplace he's at and he seems kind of depressed. So just ambient sounds of wind and desolation. Maybe some really soft strings as you hear a seagull slowly sucumbing to loneliness. I would say Disco Elysium is a good baseline for the melancolic mood. Longing for a thing which never existed and can't be described.

Honestly, that may just be my current mood.

On a lighter note, do you still plan on showing off the beginning chapters? I am interested in the backstory, so to say, but not quite enough to look it up on my own.

Oh yeah, Red Rock Riviera and all that. Beginning chapters, though? The translation starts at chapter 11, no idea why. There was also a couple gaps in translation after that, but they've been filling rapidly in the last couple months, Maybe someone will eventually go back and do the first chapters? I suspect they won't reveal much though, this is a spinoff of Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji and I think that's where they set up the underground worksite, the blacksuits, Teia Finance and all that. Ootsuki and crew are minor antagonists in that storyline.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

KennyMan666 posted:

So this was posted in a Discord and I feel like this thread can figure out examples for each point.

TBF just about every dull webcomic would be significantly improved by constantly discussing the main character's huge dick.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

KennyMan666 posted:

While I never read it myself, I just have this hunch that Dresden Codak fits the third one.

Ah, Dresden Codak's famous clockwork update schedule.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Look I said I never read it so I don't know how it actually updated.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Shorter, more frequent but same great taste: Nick & Lever

Chapter 41

Chapter 42

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Both blessed and cursed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

God drat nick and lever owns. Forgot it was a thing

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Lever is too sweet for this sinful world.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Personally I haven't posted much because I haven't been posting comics and been busy elsewhere; I still keep up-to-date with the thread and while there are comics I don't read or skim, there are also comics that I read actively here and I think the thread is going great with lots of great stuff. I hadn't really noticed a slowing of pace, either, tbh! I think the "post the entirety of a comic" is an excellent feature of the thread because a simple "here's a comic I like, go read it behind this link" would in most cases mean that a) I end up not reading it, and b) there'd be no follow-up discussion about it because, well, it was already posted to the extent allowed and anyone reading it will do so at their own pace, outside the thread.

In summary, I'd say that thread good

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

KennyMan666 posted:

Dresden Codak is the fourth one actually. Diaz updates extremely infrequently and every third update the entire tone and genre of the comic will change to match whatever piece of media she has hyperfixated on during the months-long process of making a single page.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

KennyMan666 posted:

spoilering twitter link to avoid redundancy https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1182465439760293888

ugh i cant find part 2 with the indie rodents who do drugs

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Feb 9, 2024

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

KennyMan666 posted:

in the interest of not going for low-hanging fruit and trying to come up with things that would actually be recommended:

- Dr McNinja
- Homestuck
- Freefall (which on review is actually up to 26 years?)
- am I allowed to say Homestuck again i guess Penny Arcade etc, any of the ones where the attached newspost is required to know what the hell the joke is?
- El Goonish Shive
- drawing a blank, honestly experience has been any artist who cares enough to give their protagonist a monster cock also cares enough to write a good comic for them to be in

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Edit: doubled up on one page.

Giant Ethicist has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Feb 9, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 54: We Are Tea World

Reminder: Sasuke secretly replaced the lid of the Narashiba with a fake and gave it to his exiled brother in law.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 29: Strength, Negotiation and Catfights

Carrier has arrived.

Edit:

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

First page doubled up there, GE.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

That's a lot of cum.

HermanCain
Aug 2, 2013
Just to chime in, I super enjoy this thread for all the comics posted in their entirety at a constant pace. Some I find good and i read them, some I find poo poo and I skip them. Thanks to everyone, from both the good group and the poo poo group, for taking the time to post them!

And also thank christ this thread doesn't go faster than it currently does, it's already quite a brisk pace to keep up.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Actually, is there a list of thread favourites/recommendations anywhere?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KennyMan666 posted:

Unsounded might qualify for #5, the outside material is not strictly required but there is a fuckin lot of it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the thread op has been lax in maintaining one but it wouldn't be a bad idea

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Isn't the thread op perma'd? :v

Wait that's the joke isn't it

the holy poopacy posted:

Unsounded might qualify for #5, the outside material is not strictly required but there is a fuckin lot of it.

I am fully hooked on unsounded extra material. I've been following the ask tumblr religiously since 2012.

Someone should post Unsounded here.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

Actually, is there a list of thread favourites/recommendations anywhere?

The BSS thread had a bunch of recommendations a week or so ago.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

fritz posted:

The BSS thread had a bunch of recommendations a week or so ago.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Just adding that this thread is great and I appreciate all of y'all carrying on with the posting

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Sweetness And Lightning

The clump clump dance was another of the clips that was being shared around and got me to watch the anime, though this is actually the second time it shows up! I think we skipped the first chapter it shows up in, though I might have just missed it.

Question that I may have missed the answer to: do they ever explain what weak flour is? I've only ever seen the term in this comic and I wonder if it's just a known thing or if it's a translation hiccup?