Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Y'SEE, NORMALLY IF WAS TO SEND FOUR GUYS INTO MERCANTILE DISTRICT HL-70-04, YOU GOT A 41% CHANCE OF LIVING! BUT WE'RE GENETIC FREAKS, AND WE'RE NOT NORMAL. THERE'S LIKE 50 OF US! SO IF YOU TAKE YOUR 41% CHANCE IF THERE WAS FOUR OF US, AND EXTRAPOLATE TO 50 OF US, WE GOT A FIVE HUNDRED TWELVE AND ONE HALF PERCENT CHANCE AT WINNIN' AT MERCANTILE DISTRICT HL-70-04. SEÑOR WOLFER! THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE. AND THEY SPELL DISASTER FOR YOU, AT MERCANTILE DISTRICT HL-70-04.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
So where do you guys see all this info like "this weapon has an inherently high critical damage bonus" etc? I'm really enjoying my Mk IVe crusher on my zealot but I have a few crit passives (like melee critical hits reduce combat ability cooldown by 1.5s, critical hits count toward triggeirng fury, etc.) and wondering if this an inefficient focus since I've heard the crusher isn't very crit-friendly.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Cretin90 posted:

So where do you guys see all this info like "this weapon has an inherently high critical damage bonus" etc? I'm really enjoying my Mk IVe crusher on my zealot but I have a few crit passives (like melee critical hits reduce combat ability cooldown by 1.5s, critical hits count toward triggeirng fury, etc.) and wondering if this an inefficient focus since I've heard the crusher isn't very crit-friendly.

When you inspect a weapon on the inventory screen, you can see a chart that breaks down the base damage on each armor type. It also lists the damage a Weakspot, Critical, and Weakspot+Critical hit does.

Some of these weapons have much better damage bonuses than others. The ones with a “Finesse” stat receive an additional multiplier. This stat is mostly found on swords, knives, and precision ranged weapons like the Helbore lasguns and Headhunter autoguns.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Speaking of weapon stats, I've noticed weapons with lower damage % bonus can actually have higher raw damage numbers than the same weapon with a higher damage %.

Like a gun with a 70% bonus will show 55 damage per hit, but the same gun with a 78% bonus will only do 53 damage per shot. What's up with that?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Typical Pubbie posted:

Speaking of weapon stats, I've noticed weapons with lower damage % bonus can actually have higher raw damage numbers than the same weapon with a higher damage %.

Like a gun with a 70% bonus will show 55 damage per hit, but the same gun with a 78% bonus will only do 53 damage per shot. What's up with that?

Usually guns have a stat that determines armor penetration, stat names like "Stopping Power", so even if you have a higher damage stat roll the stopping power might be less vs the armor type you're testing against.

Inspect the gun and mouse over the stats bars and you'll see detailed breakdowns.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Usually guns have a stat that determines armor penetration, stat names like "Stopping Power", so even if you have a higher damage stat roll the stopping power might be less vs the armor type you're testing against.

Inspect the gun and mouse over the stats bars and you'll see detailed breakdowns.

I suspected that was the case, but it's good to know there aren't any hidden variables effecting raw damage. Thanks!

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Plus there's the "First Target" stat that some melee weapons have which also has a big impact on its damage numbers.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Exodee posted:

Plus there's the "First Target" stat that some melee weapons have which also has a big impact on its damage numbers.

Yeah first target and penetration both seem to be much more valuable than the raw damage bonus

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

If anyone wanted to try out my stupid Slapback build, here you go:

https://darktide.gameslantern.com/builds/9b4bde5b-5303-402b-909d-f14c2451f677/slapback

It's a seriously wild ride. And before anyone asks, Crunch! is so the folding shovel oneshots crushers. You may or may not need it depending on the damage and pen rolls of your shovel. You can also use basically any melee weapon with this build, but imo you need a solution for crushers badly and folding shovel is the best choice there.

You aren't gonna be using your melee weapon except for pushing and crushers anyway lol

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 9, 2024

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
anyone else loving hate the hunting grounds mission modifier? It is lethal as gently caress, it's like throwing several dozen additional disabler enemies at you per mission + they come in groups.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That's one of the easier ones since the swarm hounds are wayyy easier to kill.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Also swarm dogs will eventually let go on their own.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yeah hunting grounds always seemed easy, you just....stick together, shoot each other when someone slips up

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Even better, identify the approach vector for the doggos and turn it into a shooting gallery. If a vet on the team has the ammo regen aura, you probably come out net positive on ammo expenditures too.

It is a run ender if the team is not sticking together, though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, hunting grounds has never seemed difficult to me until I queued up with a team of deaf and blind players who spread out across the map and get dogged in separate rooms.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would have loved to be in the meeting where "everyone loves dogs, lets make a game modifier where we throw dozens of dogs at them at the same time" was pitched.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Dogs cannot pounce over objects, and you can melee through objects and walls. Use these to your advantage. Most of the time you can position yourself in a spot that forces the dogs to run to point-blank range with you. Then you can shooting gallery as they approach the full distance and/or spam sweeping melee attacks to cut them down en masse. An occasional pounce may get through, but so long as you’re with your team you shouldn’t be in any real danger of getting overwhelmed.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Dogs are also super easy to push out of their pounce, the timing is really forgiving. I've pushed too late and had dogs teleport backwards into it and I've pushed just before the pounce and interrupted them well outside of normal push range. If I hear a dog noise I just push and usually accidentally interrupt a pounce behind me.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Preemptively nade yourself in a pinch.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What time last year did they get to patching the game up after their vacation with the first big patch? game is getting a bit stale and the sound bugs are tiresome by now.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

I would have loved to be in the meeting where "everyone loves dogs, lets make a game modifier where we throw dozens of dogs at them at the same time" was pitched.

I mean I think dog mode is fun honestly. It's a nice break from 'high intensity which is just a harder hard mode'.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The no ammo pickups mode is pretty fun, I still use guns a lot with the ammo aura but you have to be more careful

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What time last year did they get to patching the game up after their vacation with the first big patch? game is getting a bit stale and the sound bugs are tiresome by now.

they need to fix poxbursters but also integrate silent xyz as a game modifier

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Enjoy posted:

The no ammo pickups mode is pretty fun, I still use guns a lot with the ammo aura but you have to be more careful

When I see a vet in that mode without ammo aura I'm just like... wtf (in my head, I don't get toxic in chat my fellow gamers). Typically I'll go Psyker in that mode but sometimes I'll just Ogryn beef it since I don't shoot much anyway on Ogryn.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Homeless Friend posted:

they need to fix poxbursters but also integrate silent xyz as a game modifier

Silent poxbursters are annoying, but silent trappers can be far worse. If you can't hear them coming it's easy to get caught in an environment/crowd where you can't dodge, and then you just die instantly

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
A silent trapper might fuckup one man. But a silent poxburster can take out a whole team at the right time and place.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I am hoping the next major update is a "surprise! procgen hive city map where no two runs will be the same".

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I am hoping the next major update is a "surprise! procgen hive city map where no two runs will be the same".

I hope that on April fools we get a vermintide 2 map but with Darktide enemies. Or not, that would be funny too but would take more work.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I kinda like how it's been over a year and sometimes I juuuust figure out that this part of the map is another map rotated.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Procgen maps are only ever good in visually primitive games like drg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Preechr posted:

I hope that on April fools we get a vermintide 2 map but with Darktide enemies. Or not, that would be funny too but would take more work.

a darktide map in vermintide with no explanation

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Every horde in Darktide has a 1/3 chance of being replaced with Skaven

edit: also Skarrik Spinemanglr and Bodvarr Ribspreader are added to the pool of random monstrosity boss spawns

Magitek fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 11, 2024

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend posted:

A silent trapper might fuckup one man. But a silent poxburster can take out a whole team at the right time and place.

Worse is two silent pox bursters. Happened a couple of games ago and only narrowly avoided a group wipe because the Ogryn got a bit too far away and happened to look over and dodged just in the nick of time.

So been trying out Bolter on my vet and enjoying it but man… it is like an extra added challenge compared to my Plas. Decent damage versus everything and can even plan around the limited mag but that swap weapons time is brutal. Just a dash less and it would be perfect. That racking the round part is the killer. Still loving it but you guys were 100% on its negatives. Also wish FS would just reskin the stub revolvers into bolt pistols as I want to use bolt weapons dammit! Newbie warning I guess that the iron sights can take a bit getting used to for long range but the bolter is fairly decent at that. Tried out a couple of auto guns and still just not loving them. They are ok and I’m attributing to personal taste. If only recon las did better at higher difficulties. I mean I can use it but I feel like I’m not properly pulling my weight.

Two things I’m still holding out for: Tanith vet skin and Melta.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got snippy. How a 30+48 Zealot is trying to do this machine-pistol-only is beyond me.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got snippy. How a 30+48 Zealot is trying to do this machine-pistol-only is beyond me.

lol

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Some days Melk only gives ranged kills on scabs and dregs

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What should I be building for my zealot to work better in heresy and damnation? I feel like my current build is very sub-optimal. I have access to a decent thunderhammer, eviscerator, bolter, and flamer:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The bolter and flamer are both painfully weak right now. Good zealot ranged weapons include the Mk2 revolver (this is the gold standard), braced autoguns, and the Columnus V infantry autogun. You can make most things work, but the bolter and flamer both suffer from being unwieldy and ludicrously slow to equip, which is exactly what you don’t want on zealot.

The evis is good for melee, and thammers can be good situationally. Really most zealot melee options are good except tac axes. The Orestes 3 Chainaxe is my personal favorite.

megane fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 11, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ijyt posted:

What should I be building for my zealot to work better in heresy and damnation? I feel like my current build is very sub-optimal. I have access to a decent thunderhammer, eviscerator, bolter, and flamer:

That's not really enough information to answer tbh. Have you tried the jump before and failed? If you have, was it because you were felt overwhelmed or unable to keep up with the amount of enemies being thrown at you?

Target priority, understanding what weapon to use in a given situations and when to use your cooldowns not just reactively but proactively all matter a lot. It's also been oft repeated in this thread and elsewhere, but don't bother with Heresy, just go straight to Damnation. The pubbies are infinitely better in 5s. Build synergy matters too, if both your weapons cover the same niche you're gonna be in a lot more situations you can't handle than you can, especially if it's a niche like single target damage.

Get stuck in, it may be you got a fine build and you just gotta adjust to the difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

megane posted:

You can make most things work, but the bolter and flamer both suffer from being unwieldy and ludicrously slow to equip, which is exactly what you don’t want on zealot.

Bolter can work respectably if you get the hang of using throwing knives to animation cancel, with the obvious downside of restricting your build to ones that use throwing knives. Knives also help the flamer a bit but it's still pretty bad.