Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

First day of fishing you want to get into a fight with the biggest fish you can find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
punch them in the gills to assert superiority

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lake CHIMlers

:hmmyes:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I can't help but notice that this fight is reminding me a lot of Pacific Rim. The fish strongly resembles Knifehead, and Salami Dave just detonated the nuke at the bottom of the ocean.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Thyrork posted:

Being nonbinary immunizes the mind against zero-summing by the way. You already perceived the wholeness of gender and went "Nah im good" or "Ill take it all.", thus you are already past the crisis point.

Source; myself. :colbert:

Vivec would agree with this, seeing as they are a divine androgyny.

wiegieman posted:

No one has ever ceased to exist because they became convinced they weren't real.

That's just called being mentally ill.

There's a few ways of looking at how this kind of revelation messes with you. With Lovecraft for example, glimpses beyond reality drive people insane with a Horrible Truth or some kind of situation that literally cannot fit inside their minds.
In TES things are running on belief, strengthening or weakening belief can alter reality going forward, it can even rewrite already written history. One of the Thalmor's many goals was removing Talos from the pantheon by forbidding his worship. Stomping it out would have actually done this, and would have possibly had a retroactive effect on the whole setting seeing as Talos is also Tiber Septim.
Anyway it's entirely possible to have an existential crisis in TES so hard that it threatens your actual existence. Believing you aren't real is enough to make that true.

As for what it might look like, I agree with other posters who've described it as being retconned out. Videogames are pretty handy as a reference for poo poo like this because it's a nice tiny pocket reality we can view, imagine deleting a prop in GMod.

Jadis' family and retainers disappeared a lot like the Dwarves in TES, both groups constructed terrible machines to glimpse beyond or take up the mantle of God and disappeared. I think we can pretty safely assume that seeing the wheel gave them the bad kind of ego death and they ceased to be. The Jury is out on the Dwarves, Kirkbride said they ended up as the skin of the Numidium (the big God robot) which sucks for them but is... extra canonical.. It's worth mentioning in both cases though, that despite exiting reality somehow people remember both the Dwarves and Jadis' folk.

Oh and this is only kind of related but in Discworld you have a fun inversion in the Auditors of Reality, beings that are supposed to not exist or have a sense of self. Which is very difficult to do (you might have noticed) and disappear completely whenever one absent mindedly do simple individual things like use any pronoun to refer to themselves.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 4, 2024

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

wiegieman posted:

No one has ever ceased to exist because they became convinced they weren't real.

No one has ever assumed a multi-armed warform by melding with angels and demons, either.

That's also just called the same thing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

No one has ever assumed a multi-armed warform by melding with angels and demons, either.

Not with that attitude

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

That's also just called the same thing.

Lol, tell me you don't have a warform without actually telling me you don't have a warform.

Just lmao.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wiegieman posted:

I don't think you grasp the depths of your statement. You don't know anybody's ever ceased to exist before, because you wouldn't know they ever existed.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

W.T. Fits posted:

Oh yeah, this is going to be incredible.

Naturally, I expect it to cut back to Allison and Gog next week.

and it will keep cutting between the two, with ever increasing stakes

Finally they will resolve, and everyone will get back together and Princess and Vigilant Gaze will be all "What? No, we just talked to them, they were onboard from the start. What do you mean you had to perform on stage/land the largest wall hanger ever?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think you grasp the depths of your statement. You don't know anybody's ever ceased to exist before, because you wouldn't know they ever existed.

Well, not with that attitude

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

and it will keep cutting between the two, with ever increasing stakes

Finally they will resolve, and everyone will get back together and Princess and Vigilant Gaze will be all "What? No, we just talked to them, they were onboard from the start. What do you mean you had to perform on stage/land the largest wall hanger ever?"

“The fish was a mighty foe.”

“Uh huh.”

“Truly, it was this big.”

“Sure it was.”

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Look the three of them should just have a drinking contest as is proper.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fish are always drinking though, drinking is how they breathe.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Bussamove posted:

“The fish was a mighty foe.”

“Uh huh.”

“Truly, it was this big.”

“Sure it was.”

WC and Vigi are in the background making fishing emotes at each other while everyone else is war planning.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ain't no rule that says a fish can't play basketball!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Just recruit that fish as a replacement for Jagganoth already.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's gonna turn out the fish is the master of that style she's trying to learn from Dave.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Azubah posted:

It's gonna turn out the fish is the master of that style she's trying to learn from Dave.

Koi Rata

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Shoehead posted:

In TES things are running on belief, strengthening or weakening belief can alter reality going forward, it can even rewrite already written history. One of the Thalmor's many goals was removing Talos from the pantheon by forbidding his worship. Stomping it out would have actually done this, and would have possibly had a retroactive effect on the whole setting seeing as Talos is also Tiber Septim.

I want to point out that this is a pervasive bit of fanon in regards to TES lore, although I'll probably expand upon things/provide sources later when I'm not about to pass out. In summary, this view of the setting stems from assuming the "What appears to be an Altmeri commentary on Talos" post by Michael Kirkbride is the Thalmor's operating ideology, but there is nothing that definitively links what could simply be the ramblings of a very cranky Altmer racist with very fringe views (ESO shows that the Altmeri religion isn't all doom and gloam and nihilism) to what the Thalmor want. Also, the concept that you can eradicate a god by eradicating its worship (or that belief shapes everything) isn't something that's a proven quantity in the setting metaphysics of TES; that Altmer could be severely misinformed and/or optimistic as to what killing off Talos and mankind could do in regards to unmaking reality.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Of all the fantasy settings TES is one of the few where gods don't seem to actually need worship to exist, yeah. Talos is a self-created entity, and how it actually came into existence and what it actually IS is such an obscure cluster of nonsense I don't imagine most people in the setting actually know it's like. Three guys? The Aedra are dead and the Daedra literally checked out of creation before it was finalized, none of them need you to believe in them.

Even according to "What appears to be..." the goal isn't to get rid of Talos so that he disappears from worship-starvation, but to get people to stop doing Lorkhan-related bullshit because the elves, oh they hate that Lorkhan related bullshit they're so tired of Shezzarite nonsense keeping them trapped in time. They want to go back to before Akatosh hosed things up by making time coherent and mortal and they want to be in the pre-mundus time when everything was constantly changing spirits. Lorkhan (enantiomorph with Akatosh (also is Akatosh)) created mortality and the trap of this world as a way to inspire spirits to reach CHIM/Amaranth to perpetuate the reproductive cycle of realities and the regressive Thalmor and the mer in general tend to want to just hang out in a timeless maybe instead of getting on with things.

Of course Skyrim's kinda too baby to get into like, the interesting implications of this. They even have this giant Heart of Magus thing in the mages questline and they never tell you what it even is DOING but the implication might be he's trying to unravel mundus which like, fair, we have like 1 Tower left at this point I think, easy, but like, you don't even know what the villain you're stopping is DOING because Bethesda is afraid of interesting writing?

Getting rid of Talos worship wouldn't rewrite time, Akatosh keeps way too tight ledgers. Breaking the Dragon also seems so far to only affect the "current" time, I can't think of an example when it was used to rewrite the past (excluding all the, you know, retcons Bethesda keeps doing to make the lore significantly less interesting (they could have made the big bad guy of Skyrim be Alduin, you know, literally Akatosh, you know, literally the dragon that shows up and saves you in Oblivion, but complexity is hard so instead he's just kinda Some Guy who ruled a dragon empire that never existed in the lore before and he's really just Akatosh's mean son and you gotta beat him up because he's evil and wants to end the kalpa because he's mean and evil) because Todd Howard and Emil Pagliarulo are kinda hacks and bad for fantasy as a genre).

quote:

Don't forget that gods can be shaped by the mythopoeic forces of the mantlers-- so Tosh Raka could be an Akaviri avatar of Akatosh with a grudge against his mirror-brother in Cyrodiil.

Just like Akatosh-as-we-usually-know-him could time-scheme against his mirror-brother of the Nords, Alduin, to keep the present kalpa-- perhaps his favorite-- from being eaten.

Notice all the coulds.

Yeah here there's a difference between mantling a god and altering its narrative by doing that and worshiping a god. When you walk like something so it walks like you that's different from just large-scale belief about a thing. Also crying that Skyrim could have given us a really weird and interesting story and instead it's just evil mean dragon raaaaar

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 9, 2024

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

FlocksOfMice posted:

Of all the fantasy settings TES is one of the few where gods don't seem to actually need worship to exist, yeah.

This is what makes the dwemer so scary, by the way. They're atheists in a universe where the gods factually exist as much as you or me. When confronted with the fact that reality is a dream, they didn't ask "how do we achieve this enlightened state?" They asked "how do we wake the big guy up?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Youremother posted:

This is what makes the dwemer so scary, by the way. They're atheists in a universe where the gods factually exist as much as you or me. When confronted with the fact that reality is a dream, they didn't ask "how do we achieve this enlightened state?" They asked "how do we wake the big guy up?"

And now they're nobody's problem.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Youremother posted:

I feel like it was more "how do we force the big guy to become us?"

MikeJF posted:

Unless you're in the 5th era, then watch out!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

MikeJF posted:

This is extremely dependent on if you like c0da or not, and what you define as "nobody's problem." The altmer are definitely nobodies after the dwemer erased them from history, yeah

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Youremother posted:

This is extremely dependent on if you like c0da or not, and what you define as "nobody's problem." The altmer are definitely nobodies after the dwemer erased them from history, yeah

Wait did the Dwemer like, screw up the universe such that to everyone they whammied they dissapeared, but to them everyone else did?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

thechosenone posted:

Wait did the Dwemer like, screw up the universe such that to everyone they whammied they dissapeared, but to them everyone else did?

No, they hosed up building a giant God Robot to unmake reality and then thousands and thousands of years later show back up (as the God robot) and delete most of Nirn from history. This is all c0da lore so take it with a grain of salt.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

MikeJF posted:

I’ll admit I’m not following this discussion too closely, but I seem to remember being eviserated and steam-boiled by quite a few shiny golden robbits in my Skyrim hours.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Youremother posted:

Little did they know that the first thing the big guy would do upon finally awakening is to walk into an imperial ambush, same as them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1756039933607784700

:randpop:

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Little dancing Gog when

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I love Gog-Agog so much

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I heard that gum Allison likes is going to come back in style.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alt-text:

if you look hard enough you can actually find this set earlier in the comic.

I think he's talking about the backstage crew there. Anyone have any idea where that was?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I assumed by "set" he meant the stage set: this particular arrangement of couch, chair, statue, etc. I'm guessing some TV show in the background, and Gog is mimicking some existing talk show host (or is that talk show host)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh, yeah, I don't know why I didn't connect set to the, uh set.

And BTW the framed picture is a clear reference to Eric Andre, for anyone who's unaware, which makes me very excited for what's coming.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think that's the desk Incubus inserted into Allison's mind when he was playing secretary for her.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think that's the desk Incubus inserted into Allison's mind when he was playing secretary for her.

Yep, was just about to post that, I went back and looked and they're really close. I think that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Someone on the Discord found it:

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-7-63/